As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Melee is better than unarmed, though both are exceptionally good. With the knockdown perk you can beat anything in the game the instant the knockdown works. Guns have more options than laser weapons and work very well with sneak (Silenced sniper rifles for example).

You can ignore survival if you want.

Speech is fantastic and you should bump it if you want to avoid certain aggravating fights.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't you have to have played the first two Fallouts to appreciate why NV is better than FO3. Being like the original games isn't good for it's own sake, it's good because this game has many of the same good qualities as the first two did, the qualities that make any RPG good.

I liked FO3 the same way I liked Oblivion: they were both good games, quality AAA RPGs. But Bethesda lost something in between Morrowind and Oblivion, I don't know that I can quantify what it was. The only way I can think to describe it ATM is that they lost vision or daring or inspiration or something.

NV has that quality, as did FO1 and FO2. In fact NV is probably my second favorite Fallout game after the original as of right now. I hold off on assigning a final value since sometimes it takes years before I can really decide how much I like a game, but about 40 hrs in I'm putting this game up there with the classics.

Since this is a hard thing to explain I'll give examples (spoilered to be safe, but they're not really spoilers, I won't go into specifics) of things that NV did that a Bethesda game wouldn't have that elevate it a notch above FO3 IMO:

Boone:
    Boone's backstory was a standard trope that was executed well, and with a pacing and nuance that FO3 never had. Also uniquely, it ended inconclusively: was his final companion quest redemption or just random chance? Was it a morality tale or a more realist thing? You can believe either or both, and they're both true.

The Kings:
    In most games they would have been just a gimmick. But the King himself was a person with actual magnetism, and they hit just the right note of moral ambiguity with him. Going into his dialog options and learning about his thoughts about his own gang and their history was a cool moment.

Chief Hanlon:
    His whole questline had a quality I've never seen in an RPG before, and had a good dose of applicability to the real world. Even before I did his questline, just going through all his dialog options and learning about the history of the Legion was probably the most authentically fallout-y moment of the game for me (looking on the internet I found out that much of that was lore from Van Buren).

Those are all pretty small examples, and I could probably do a dozen more but I won't. The accumulation of all those things is what makes the world feel real, which changes the way I experience it pretty much 100%. Enough stuff like that and even a game's flaws seem to be part of a continuous whole.

Yougottawanna on
    edited October 2010
    NV has that quality, as did FO1 and FO2. In fact NV is probably my second favorite Fallout game after the original as of right now

<3 I can so agree.

Also I am considering doing a LP of Fallout: Tactics. Because I do love cutting people with rippers in that game.

Aegeri on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gentlemen, and ladies, I have a few questions about this game if someone would be so kind as to answer them.

I'm playing a stealthy guy in hardcore mode, and I'm trying to figure out where to focus my skill points (besides the obvious areas of sneak/lockpick etc).

- Should I go for melee or unarmed? Also, does unarmed kill things or just knock them out? For example sometimes I wanna rob a shop but not necessarily kill the shopkeeper.

- Laser weapons or guns? I'm thinking guns, and I know it probably doesn't matter much, but I'm interested in your opinions. I don't want a bunch of different weapon types when ammo has weight.

- Is survival really that useful, or can I pretty much get by by raiding fridges, killing wildlife etc?

- Speech seems pretty useful, speech get?

(Also if it makes any difference, I'm roleplaying as a neutral-ish character motivated mostly by self-interest, who does not take shit from people but also has a few moral boundaries. Basically this guy:
    han_solo_harrison_ford_01.jpg

I almost always play as a good guy in RPGs but for some reason this game makes me want to be a badass)

I found sneak to be not such an effective point dump, since most of the time you'll be relying on stealth boys when the going gets tough.

Energy weapons vs guns - I'd say energy weapons get the edge late game, with the special gauss rifle, guns are close, but energy weapons just edge them out, and the ammo is more common after a point.

Melee vs Unarmed - both are really good for dealing with deathclaws and other wildlife, I'd go Unarmed just for the ballistic fist though.

Repair is a license to print money, and both it and science allow you to skip some absolutely obnoxious fetch quests.

My progression to 100 was:
    1) guns, 2) repair, 3) science, 4) lockpick, 5) speech
    If I could do it again it'd be:
    1) energy weapons, 2) repair, 3) speech, 4) science, 5) lockpick

explosives is kinda crap, the 40mm grenade machine gun was still awful at putting down deathclaws compared to the higher single shot damage guns and energy weapons.

reddeath on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    NV has that quality, as did FO1 and FO2. In fact NV is probably my second favorite Fallout game after the original as of right now

<3 I can so agree.

Also I am considering doing a LP of Fallout: Tactics. Because I do love cutting people with rippers in that game.
    Meh, something awful already did it though and a pretty bitching one at that.

<3 Stumpy and the Shotgun Fist <3

EDIT: Wait a minute, was that on PA instead? Second and last result on Google for SATSF.

Sorenson on
    edited October 2010
    I think we had one here actually IIRC, but it seems to have died. Mostly it is because I am currently playing it again every so often and it never ceases to amuse me when I forget about the turrets and they melt everyone.

Aegeri on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reddeath wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I dont think you could make your point in a less effective way.

Not trying to win hearts and minds, trying to express just how idiotic I found fallout 3.

by being a dick about something as trivial as an opinion. Or so thats how it reads.

Oft-times when you say something about a subject, and are wrong, people who are more learned on the subject will come and tell you so.

Is this still your attempt to illustrate your point by writing "in the style of FO3" or are you just actually like this?

Gaslight on
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply reddeath. I'm surprised you recommend science so highly, though maybe that's just because in the first game I found it pretty useless (I really didn't need those robots' help). Can you do more things with it in New Vegas? I had always hoped it would be like hacking in Deus Ex, or something along those lines.

Just Like That on
    edited October 2010
    Science is fantastic in this game because it helps in so many ways to circumvent fetch quests. Repair is the exact same way as well. With both of them you can circumvent a lot of really annoying fetch quests. Plus science comes up a fair deal in dialogue too.

Aegeri on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gentlemen, and ladies, I have a few questions about this game if someone would be so kind as to answer them.

I'm playing a stealthy guy in hardcore mode, and I'm trying to figure out where to focus my skill points (besides the obvious areas of sneak/lockpick etc).

- Should I go for melee or unarmed? Also, does unarmed kill things or just knock them out? For example sometimes I wanna rob a shop but not necessarily kill the shopkeeper.

- Laser weapons or guns? I'm thinking guns, and I know it probably doesn't matter much, but I'm interested in your opinions. I don't want a bunch of different weapon types when ammo has weight.

- Is survival really that useful, or can I pretty much get by by raiding fridges, killing wildlife etc?

(Also if it makes any difference, I'm roleplaying as a neutral-ish character motivated mostly by self-interest, who does not take shit from people but also has a few moral boundaries. Basically this guy:

I almost always play as a good guy in RPGs but for some reason this game makes me want to be a badass)

Guns are serious variety, energy weapons less so but still enough to be neat. Melee is tricky, but rewarding. Personally? the range of guns in this is just too awesome to ignore. There's a lot of potential for western shootouts. Speech is handy. Order of handy non-combat skills is probably science, lockpick then speech. Science is just so useful in so many scenarios in this game. Not sure about knocking people out, but stealing with stealth is pretty simple.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply reddeath. I'm surprised you recommend science so highly, though maybe that's just because in the first game I found it pretty useless (I really didn't need those robots' help). Can you do more things with it in New Vegas? I had always hoped it would be like hacking in Deus Ex, or something along those lines.

Mostly it plugs a dialogue gap, but there are a lot of times you can use it where like, someone would send you to pick up 3 scrap metals, a pressure cooker and a wonderglue, you'll just be like [science] what if you used corn syrup water and a piece of ham.

It also lets you make stimpacks, and reload energy cells.

It saved me from several tedious fetch quests. Unfortunately though, the hacking is the same, but it seems to be less of a companion for lockpick in this one, and more it's own thing.

reddeath on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is just something to be said for walking into a town in a duster and a black cowboy hat, with a .357 magnum hanging from your hip.

Buttcleft on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There are a lot more dialogue options were science is useful this time around.

Personally, I didn't put much into it, but that's because I like the lockpicking minigame more than the hacking one.

EDIT: Though I did appreciate that there were a lot less "here is a locked door/safe with a terminal next to it" situations. Hacking usually gets you information, lockpicking usually gets you loot or a shortcut.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    There is just something to be said for walking into a town in a duster and a black cowboy hat, with a .357 magnum hanging from your hip.
    If only the dusters were actually meaningfully in-game...:sigh:

Sorenson on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Aegeri and Lanrutcon. Sounds like I'll be doing some sciencing this time around. For science. That pretty much answers all my questions, except for the survival one. Anyone have an opinion on that? Hardcore mode just sounds too cool to pass up.

Just Like That on
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

they are meaningful.

They make me feel like a bad ass.

I wore the
    Sheriffs Duster from Primm

For the entire game. There was only like 4 or 5 times where I had to take my reinforced metal armor off of ED-E and wear that instead

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2010

I'm still kind of bummed there are no ponchos in the game, as it was originally my intention to play a post-apocalyptic Man With No Name.

But then I realized how useful speech is in the game and started dumping a whole bunch of points into it and that sort of went down the tubes anyway.

Gaslight on
    edited October 2010
    I carry around the Ranger Sequoia now, and my policy is that whenever that "Big Iron on His Hip" song comes on the radio I switch to it.

Is it possible to raise the level cap above 30? I haven't found any mods that do it.

Yougottawanna on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Aegeri and Lanrutcon. Sounds like I'll be doing some sciencing this time around. For science. That pretty much answers all my questions, except for the survival one. Anyone have an opinion on that? Hardcore mode just sounds too cool to pass up.

I'm playing on hardcore mode without survival and it's been fine. Survival's probably one of the less useful skills.

Yougottawanna on
    edited October 2010

they are meaningful.

They make me feel like a bad ass.

I wore the
    Sheriffs Duster from Primm

For the entire game. There was only like 4 or 5 times where I had to take my reinforced metal armor off of ED-E and wear that instead
    Meaningfully as in the "not in a debug chest and actually sold/used by dudes" sense.

Sorenson on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I carry around the Ranger Sequoia now, and my policy is that whenever that "Big Iron on His Hip" song comes on the radio I switch to it.

Is it possible to raise the level cap above 30? I haven't found any mods that do it.

I know this seems like a stupidly obvious thing to say, but I'm betting we'll at least see a smaller raise in the cap with an upcoming DLC.

Aw, man, I hope we get a full expansion this time around

mr-razzcocks on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else explore the H&H Tool factory? There were some amusing emails on the terminals there.

SteevL on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Did anyone else explore the H&H Tool factory? There were some amusing emails on the terminals there.

Yeah, that was pretty great

Don't send that seditious shit my way!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yes. Play hardcore. Adds a fantastic dynamic to the game I like more than anything else. I have 25 in survival. I'll probably put another 5 points into it since the recipes you can make at 30 are good.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited October 2010

The biggest survival skill check I found in dialogue was like 45, you need it to cook food, but honestly, there is enough crap laying around the world that I might get it up to the point where you can make a caravan lunch and don't put anymore into it.

In fact, if I had a choice I'd just take packrat perk over survival, because packrat effectively cuts the weight for every food/water object in half.

I went through hardcore / hard with survival at 35, and it was only touch and go at the very beginning. Once you get a base of operations to dump food at and discover a water source you are g2g.

reddeath on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The Bounty Hunter Duster caps damage at 6, thats cool. I think. I'm actuallly not sure. But damn it looks sweet.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Guns are serious variety, energy weapons less so but still enough to be neat. Melee is tricky, but rewarding. Personally? the range of guns in this is just too awesome to ignore. There's a lot of potential for western shootouts. Speech is handy. Order of handy non-combat skills is probably science, lockpick then speech. Science is just so useful in so many scenarios in this game. Not sure about knocking people out, but stealing with stealth is pretty simple.

I've yet to try knocking people out. How does that work? If you straight up bitch slap a dude and steal his money, won't that count as attacking a faction? (much like taking a shot at someone?).

On usefulness, well... Science I would say is great if you're going energy weapons. Otherwise, not so much. Same with repair and guns. I mean they're both pretty sweet on their own, but if you're going guns without repair, or energy weapons without science, in my opinion you're doing it wrong.

I ended up pumping science later on with my sneaky sniper guy, just because I like to hack terminals and read the emails and such. It really helps set the scene in a lot of environments.

On the Morrowind vs. Oblivion debate, I can't say that there is a parallel to this in regards to FO2 and FO3. Morrowind was a rich imaginative world full of lore, magic and jam packed with secret and awesome things. Oblivion was... run around for 15 minutes and you've seen everything to see.

When I see people that love NV but (are acting like) they hate FO3, I just don't get it. It's not a radical departure in any real sense. It's a regular sequel. A little more shit, a little more fine tuning, but practically the same game.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited October 2010

Plenty of mods for 3 that do it, let me just download one and I'll check what it modded. Or I will AS SOON AS IT STOPS FUCKING AROUND AND LETS ME DOWNLOAD THE GOD DAMN FUCKING FILE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST HURRY THE SHIT UP ALREADY

I hate this fucking site so much.

Sorenson on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    That one had me asking my television "what the fuck?".

My wife was very confused.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010

I know this seems like a stupidly obvious thing to say, but I'm betting we'll at least see a smaller raise in the cap with an upcoming DLC.

If you make it to 30 before the end game, then you must be just grinding.

cause I did shit loads of side quests and killing things and I didnt ding 30 until the final end game.

Buttcleft on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

cause I did shit loads of side quests and killing things and I didnt ding 30 until the final end game.

Personally, I haven't even hit 20 yet, in my first playthrough or this one

mr-razzcocks on
  • SpecTrE3353SpecTrE3353 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think FO3 might be the only game I ever played where I was actually satisfied with the way they did the DLC so I wouldn't mind seeing it again with NV. That being said, I hope it's more along the lines of Broken Steel or Point Lookout... the rest of them were linear, combat oriented and didn't really feel like they even belonged to the same game.

SpecTrE3353 on
    WGGBannerSwitch.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

there is a mod on the nexus that raises to 100, not sure if has the same problems the one fo3 had with levelled lists messing up, but i dont think nv as any levelled lists from what i can tell.

also question to anyone withe classic pack, is it worth keeping the vault 13 canteen on me at all times, like is there a dialouge or some reference to fo1/2 you get if you have it? at the moment its getting annoying and making h20 management useless, even with the 5 sips limiter.

Deaderinred on
    edited October 2010

I'm playing on hardcore mode without survival and it's been fine. Survival's probably one of the less useful skills.

I was taken aback to run into a dialogue option which required a Survival skill of 60 for success. Mainly because I was like, "Who in their right mind would have that many points in Survival?"

Only dialogue option which used that skill I've found, and it was pretty unimportant.

Gaslight on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's a freaking rare NCR armor that's basically medium desert camo armor with a duster over it. Good lord it looks good and once I got it, only took it off to deal with the BoS. And those fuckers are on my genocide list. Am I the only one who does that? Do lots of quests, do some commerce with people, decide if their dicks or not...then reap the zip code one fine day with a silenced sniper rifle and no regard for collateral damage.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited October 2010
    Everyone lookin' for the level cap, you have to dick around with iMaxCharacterLevel in the GECK settings.

I made the mistake of taking the XP+10% perk three times, but even taking that out of the equation it's still pretty easy to max out just going around doin' quests and shit, no real grinding nessecary.

Sorenson on
    edited October 2010

Mostly it plugs a dialogue gap, but there are a lot of times you can use it where like, someone would send you to pick up 3 scrap metals, a pressure cooker and a wonderglue, you'll just be like [science] what if you used corn syrup water and a piece of ham.

It also lets you make stimpacks, and reload energy cells.

It saved me from several tedious fetch quests. Unfortunately though, the hacking is the same, but it seems to be less of a companion for lockpick in this one, and more it's own thing.

Sounds good, especially the part about being separate from lockpick. I hate the hacking minigame though.... oh well.

Good to know, thanks!

Just Like That on
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298Cw3_qGwE

Because for all the hate Fallout 3 has, It did give us the great metal god of glory.
    Everyone lookin' for the level cap, you have to dick around with iMaxCharacterLevel in the GECK settings.

I made the mistake of taking the XP+10% perk three times, but even taking that out of the equation it's still pretty easy to max out just going around doin' quests and shit, no real grinding nessecary.

you wasted 3 perks on that?

You are fucking nutty

Buttcleft on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

I was taken aback to run into a dialogue option which required a Survival skill of 60 for success. Mainly because I was like, "Who in their right mind would have that many points in Survival?"

Only dialogue option which used that skill I've found, and it was pretty unimportant.
    I've seen a Survival 75.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010

I'm on a pretty good clips towards 30. I haven't confronted Benny or done any of the faction quests and I'm at level 24 or 25 (can't remember, at work now), and it seems like there are still a lot of side quests I haven't done.

I have spent a lot of time wandering around killing stuff though.

The Oblivion:Morrowind as FO3:NV comparison isn't perfect but it's got some accuracy to it I think. NV's gameplay is pretty much the same as FO3's, but everything else (story, atmosphere, characters, mood) is different enough that there's a big gap in quality between the two.

Yougottawanna on