As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter: Oh no! [Main] is the worst now! I'm switching to [buffed alt]!

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fightpad is good, but I think mine are going wonky.

Not that it matters, since I have a stick now anyways.

blaze_zero on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone confirm for me, is Makoto's IA Axe Kick basically 963214 + K? I can't do it like Cammy's instant dive kicks and I've been relatively successful doing it the way i described above, but i'm wondering if that's just how you do it or if i'm missing something.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only problem I have with the Madcatz Fightpads is that hitting diagonals can be a pain in the ass. The d-pad rests rather high above the contacts and it can take a lot of pressure to get them to register. Sometimes it's not bad out of the box but can become really unresponsive after a year or so of regular use. A friend and I have each been using a 360 fightpad since we got SF4 and his d-pad is almost completely shot now. I want to open it up soon to see if there's just some debris in the way or something else that can be easily fixed.

Other than that, I like the pad pretty well. The buttons are responsive and nicely sized. Probably the only pad I've used that's decent for piano keying if you need to do that. It's a huge leap beyond the stock 360 pad (not saying much); I just wish the d-pad was more durable.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How hard are we talking about?

I have a light, artists touch :).

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited October 2010
    Hm, put it this way Biz.

There are times where I'm sure I'm holding down-back. But it turns out I'm holding down.

Thus I eat combo in the face.

blaze_zero on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem you might have Sixfortyfive is the rubber contact membrane under the d-pad. If you call Mad Catz they'll send you a replacement. I think i've heard of similar issues from forumers here.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like my issue with the Power A, but that has more to do with the angle it decides where "down" starts as opposed to "back".

Bizazedo on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, it seems to vary from pad to pad. Build quality seems inconsistent. All I ever have to worry about is up-right; I just have to make that mental note to hold that direction a little bit harder whenever I play so that I can consistently hit it. Other than that, it's fine for me. No dropped or misinterpreted inputs. My friend's pad is a completely different case. Diagonals often just don't work on that thing even if you're putting all your energy into it.

Whenever I play on PS3 or PS2 I use a Saturn pad as my controller of choice. The buttons aren't as good for piano keying but the d-pad is probably the most responsive and reliable one ever built.
    H*R wrote: »
    The problem you might have Sixfortyfive is the rubber contact membrane under the d-pad. If you call Mad Catz they'll send you a replacement. I think i've heard of similar issues from forumers here.
    I've opened mine up and nothing looks like it's out of order. I even stuck a few layers of electrical tape onto the bottom of the d-pad connector so that it doesn't have to travel quite as far to trigger the directions now.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My guy can probably do something about that if you prefer the d-pad tinkered with, Biz.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Ken's f+mk link is ch only?

That would explain a lot.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    Man, what is it with the sand in everyone's vagina lately?

Can't we all just set aside our differences and punch each other in the face like civilized human beings?

Eventually that sand will turn into a pearl!

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of vaginas...

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Speaking of vaginas...

can't believe I looked through that. That said:
    When she posted up her statistics it was revealed that a mighty 83.13% of her 214 online fights were wins.

godlike amirite?

aBlank on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some of those shots are REALLY good.

But I'm not a fan of Kristin Kreukaberkaderk and that movie was horrid. The Viper cosplayer should have taken the top spot in my book.

This is a very poorly disguised Blue Dot post.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited October 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    When she posted up her statistics it was revealed that a mighty 83.13% of her 214 online fights were wins.

godlike amirite?

It's 4-5% better then my win percentage.

If she didn't host and just searched for matches I could see it being easier, though.

STILL, it's impressive.

Bizazedo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    with only 214 fights though? pssshhhhhh.

pssssshhhh.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited October 2010
    with only 214 fights though? pssshhhhhh.

pssssshhhh.

Well, that, and is it player or ranked we're talking about :).

I was wrong, btw, my ranked win % is actually 73% with the longest win streak at 26.

976 total wins so far (before I play tonight).

Bizazedo on
    edited October 2010
    huh, you have the same win streak as me, biz.

Evil Multifarious on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Omg, Biz and Evil Multifarious are really the same person!

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nerfs? What cammy nerfs?

she is going to have so much frame advantage. Maybe I should pick her up again.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Biz,

Don't know if you heard me screaming at the end of the match. I need to get dinner and only had time for one match. I want a rematch soon!

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
    edited October 2010
    Nerfs? What cammy nerfs?

she is going to have so much frame advantage. Maybe I should pick her up again.

No more Instant Air Cannon Strike.

Fig-D on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    These costume pack release schedules are retarded. That said, I'll wait until the full pack again.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited October 2010
    Agreed. I'm hoping they move the full pack up.

Fig-D on
    edited October 2010
    Omg, Biz and Evil Multifarious are really the same person!

no we are twins

i got the looks, he got the street fighter skills

Evil Multifarious on
    edited October 2010
    Something that may be of interest:

Ok, so I just read this article from FlashMetroid about his recent thoughts on Viper, if you've read it, I'd like to discuss a few things. Flash has a somewhat difficult style to read, but in the end, I managed to take this away from his writing:

1. He really enjoyed playing Viper, especially in vanilla, because he enjoys her playstyle.
    2. He's upset, and feels somewhat betrayed that in certain matchups, he has to "lame it out" or otherwise play in a style that he finds very un-fun, if he wants to win.
    3. He now believes that Viper is low tier, because her strategy is severely limited in high level play, versus certain characters.

Now, I'm not immediately criticizing his feelings, but I feel that he's not being truly objective. Everybody plays characters for varying reasons, but I think a common thread is their personal enjoyment of what they percieve the character to offer. People like characters that fit their playstyle, and as such I think it's fair to say that players all have their opinion on how a character should be played effectively.

Now, I think we can agree that yes, every character has a few different effective strategies, i.e: strategies that lead to wins for that character. However, we can also agree that with rare exceptions, you can not use every strategy to it's full effect versus every character. ( I say character here because I'm staying away from the question of individual player skill and style )

An easy example would be that Player "A" mains Ryu. A likes Ryu for his zoning game, he enjoys keeping the opponent out with projectiles and AA's, and is most comfortable when he can utilize the zoning game to win matches. However, A meets "B", a Dhalsim player against whom, his zoning game is almost totally ineffective, as Dhalsim can effectively outpoke and outzone Ryu at A's preferred distances. In the end, A has to adopt a different type of strategy, say playing better footsies, or trying to turtle up, that he finds un-enjoyable in order to beat B's Dhalsim.

So now, we find that in the end, one will inevitably encounter bad matchups, and in general have to use strategies or tactics that they dislike, in order to achieve victory. Also, isn't this one of the basic premises of fighting games? That there will be un-fun matches, and annoying/boring, but effective tactics, that one must either use or overcome in order to win?

I understand that not everyone wants to be forced into doing something they don't like if they want to win at a high level. I understand one comment too, on that page, that "Anyone who's played competitively against someone else and felt the only way they could win with their character was to play a lame ass play style which is the exact opposite of why they picked up their character in the first place knows exactly what flash is talking about" . This is a legitimate concern, and it hits the issue dead on. I've experienced this myself with certain games, and certain characters. Take Guy in Super, for instance, I loved him in the earlier games, but I can't play him now, because he just doesn't play or feel the way I used to enjoy. And there's no point for me to play a character that I find un-fun to that degree. So I haven't played him since maybe a few weeks after release.

However, I must ask, at what point does Flash's gripe no longer hold water? Okay, this matchup sucks, this matchup is boring, this match is un-fun, etc. How many matches must be fun or exciting for an individual player to play? Conversely, how many sucky matchups can be considered "enough bad matchups"? I'm not talking of tiers here, I'm talking of the player's enjoyment of the matchup.

I know I can't play my Abel in the wild and wooly style I most enjoy against everyone. At higher levels, I have to wait, be patient, play footsies, be conservative. All things that anyone who knows me will tell you that I hate doing. However, I want to win, and if doing these un-fun things helps me win, I'll do them. As long as I have to.

One last thing, isn't it one of the greatest feelings in the game when you finally overcome that one character or strategy that ALWAYS puts you out of the tourney? When you overcome the obstacles that sometimes make you wonder why you even play? I'm nowhere near Flash's level, so I can't speak for him. But down here, where I'm at in the lower tiers of skill. It feels damn good when I get that win, no matter how I had to get it.

Your thoughts? And my apologies for the walls of text.

Hiryu02 on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll let you know as soon as I get to the point where I complain about how I lamed out victories against Daigo in money matches...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited October 2010
    Haha, very true. I did read that, though I was more concerned with the overall tone of the article.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Seems pretty subjective, the number of boring matchups a character can have before a player doesn't want to use them. I've dropped characters in tourney play for that, but I'm fickle.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I agree with Flash to an extent. I play for fun, some matches are just fucking boring unless you want to destroyed (which is frustrating and probably even more boring).

For instance, almost every match with Blanka, Rufus, Abel and some others are usually snooze fests if I play carefully (IE, want to win). I'll usually just go as offensive as I can but that doesn't really help me win consistently.

Now that I think about it, there are a ton of matchups that are just plain boring. Most of them against grapplers.

solsovly on
    edited October 2010
    So what do you do, remove grapplers? And again, after you take out grapplers, do you start taking out all the boring chars too, like Sim or Blanka?

I'm exaggerating here of course. But at the same time, isn't this par for the course in FG's? That some chars will be boring/lame to play against? But does that make them less legitimate?

And again, I'm just throwing shit out, I empathize and disagree with Flash at the same time.

Hiryu02 on
    edited October 2010
    Yes and yes.

In Soulcalibur I fixed this problem for myself by having 2 mains with completely opposing playstyles, and switching between them whenever one had a matchup I didn't like and to avoid mirrors. But that was less a matter of the characters I played against being boring and more that certain matchups were really tedious. Even the super safe characters could be fun to play against if I was using the right characters.

Page- on
    stream
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's one of those situations where it's "tough luck" imo.

I have played and have always played Bison due to his playstyle. I like being this mobile, it ties to my PERSONAL strengths, and it's fun for me.

Has a Bison won a big tourney? No. Am I going to learn a different guy? No.

Do I like being super defensive against Blanka or a few of the others? No, I don't, but it's part of the game and I really don't hold any issue with it because, in my opinion, the very point of a fighting game is to beat the other guy.

I get my most enjoyment from winning, not from losing with style.

Does that mean I haven't enjoyed matches where I lost? No, I've LOL'd even today at some losses.

I just think if you're at a point where Flash is, maybe it's the fighting game itself he doesn't like.

P.S. Just tore up Wolf Krone and he kicked me :(. Guess coming one hit from knocking him out with 6 other dudes watching ruffled him.

Either that or he needed room for another friend, which I can accept :).

Bizazedo on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Something that may be of interest:

Ok, so I just read this article from FlashMetroid about his recent thoughts on Viper, if you've read it, I'd like to discuss a few things. Flash has a somewhat difficult style to read, but in the end, I managed to take this away from his writing:

the tl/dr version of flash's rant: Playing defensive works too well in SF4. Breaking news :P

aBlank on
    edited October 2010
    So what do you do, remove grapplers? And again, after you take out grapplers, do you start taking out all the boring chars too, like Sim or Blanka?

I'm exaggerating here of course. But at the same time, isn't this par for the course in FG's? That some chars will be boring/lame to play against? But does that make them less legitimate?

And again, I'm just throwing shit out, I empathize and disagree with Flash at the same time.

You give them more options. A large part of the reason fights with grapplers or zoning characters are so boring (and especially between grapplers and zoners) is the lack of options on both sides. Command throw damage is high enough that characters who can zone, must zone in order to win. At the same time, the options of a grappler are so limited that they are forced to play a very delicate waiting and striking game. Zangief's lp, lk, and mp are often doing more work than any of his special moves in a match against characters with good hit-and-run capabilities.

Another change would be character specific properties. Things that have appeared in RPG, adventure and action games for years, but have largely stayed out of main stream fighters. Example, Dhalsim vs Zangief. Give Dhalsim a property were he takes less damage from command throws (let's say due to his rubbery nature) and give Zangief super armor against any normal attack that extends more than one of his body lengths. I don't think that sort of thing fits in Street Fighter honestly, but it would make for a more interesting solution than say giving lariat better range or increasing the speed of Dhalsim's backdash.

Fig-D on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Well, it's one of those situations where it's "tough luck" imo.

Pretty much. The only time I bothered to switch characters was from cody to dudley, but that was only because I found him more rewarding and fun, despite having similar issues vs some characters. Having to play differently in certain scenarios was part of fighting games, last I checked.

I also like the idea of having a fallback character to handle some things the other cannot. I still like going back to cody to deal with blanka for example.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited October 2010
    There's fun and then there's fun.

For example, if I'm just dicking around online or something then there are certain matchups that I'm just not interested in playing. Ever. Even if I know that I can win. If I'm at a gathering then there are certain matchups that I will ft5. If I'm at a tourney then I'll play anything. And of course, if someone needs character specific experience then I will oblige.

In real life this translates to a lot of time spent playing really terrible matchups with locals just so that we could be sure about how they worked and get the experience needed to compete on a larger scale. I've also played tourney matches that were ridiculously one sided (bordering on 9-1) and had a blast, but there is no way in hell I would repeat it in casuals unless I was testing something.

But I go to tourneys for different reasons than someone like Flash. At least I think so.

Going to play for a bit. religionlol on xbl if anyone's interested.

Page- on
    stream
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, it seems to vary from pad to pad. Build quality seems inconsistent. All I ever have to worry about is up-right; I just have to make that mental note to hold that direction a little bit harder whenever I play so that I can consistently hit it. Other than that, it's fine for me. No dropped or misinterpreted inputs. My friend's pad is a completely different case. Diagonals often just don't work on that thing even if you're putting all your energy into it.

Whenever I play on PS3 or PS2 I use a Saturn pad as my controller of choice. The buttons aren't as good for piano keying but the d-pad is probably the most responsive and reliable one ever built.

Wait, how does yours have a PSX logo?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2010
    There's no way they're gonna make everyone happy anyway. It'd be a fool's errand to try.

blaze_zero on
    edited October 2010
    Things I learned tonight.

I have to lose some of my pre-programmed patterns.

Ugggggggggggh.

Things I also learned tonight.

Sometimes, reaction Ultras are awesome :).

Bizazedo on