As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We Are Toys, Us - Search Character Map for backwards R

GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
723698869_rAkGo-L.jpg

So guys, I just got a job working at Toys R Us for the holiday season. Yeah, for serial. And I should mention I've never worked retail before.

I figure this is actually a resume booster because if I survive people will see my accomplishment and say "The kid must be tough."

Anyone want to give me advice or abuse or just say "You poor stupid bastard"?

Gaslight on

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    let me check the back

nope

all out of advice

Abracadaniel on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if they don't give you a cyanide pill, invest in one yourself.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You poor stupid bastard.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You are in a world of shit.

Hunter on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU AND DIE IN THE HORRIBLE STINKING TRAILER PARK YOUR MOMMA BIRTHED YOU IN

that is just a taste of what awaits you

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you're going to work in one of the world's largest toy store chains

during a holiday season

with no prior experience in retail?

you're going to cry

Raneados on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you know you're going to get dragged through a trail of shit the entire holiday season and then get canned when it's over, right?

Squall on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    all for 7.25 an hour, too

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you are absolutely going to get treated like shit

you're a seasonal employee at toys r us

you are less than dirt to customers, managers, supervisors, and most other employees

Raneados on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Poor dumb Sum ma ma bitch aint even seein it comin.

Talkc on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »

Ha! I actually get $8.00 an hour! So THERE!

Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns (I'm finishing my degree in poly sci), and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit. And yes, I am fully aware I'll get canned by like the middle of January post-returns at the latest.

Gaslight on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns, and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit.

Boy just cause they give you a gun, and tell you how to shoot, doesnt mean you know how to kill a man.

Talkc on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns, and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit. And yes, I am fully aware I'll get canned by like the middle of January post-returns at the latest.

you'll be dealing with these people face to face, not over the phone

salvation is not one button push away

Squall on
    edited October 2010
    in honesty, you're probably used to being extremely patient with people

remember that kids are dickheads

and this ain't a resume builder

nobody cares that you sold toys at christmas

Raneados on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

Sara Lynn on
    edited October 2010
    I'm furiously trying to find a way to get out of retail before Boxing Day.

Pre-Christmas is bad, but that one day of boxing day is just the worst.

Mind you I'm at Best Buy, not Toys 'R Us.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At least there's no big fad this year that'll be driving parents to kill you. Unless... I'm not up to speed on the fads, in which case you're dead.

Bad-Beat on
    edited October 2010
    In all seriousness I don't actually think this will do jack for my resume, but I am interested in testing my moral fortitude and finding out what I'm made of.

It will build character, like Calvin's dad always said.

Gaslight on
    edited October 2010
    there's always a fad, bad-beat

always

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    i can't really say of any HUGE fad this year

videogames seem like the hot ticket item lately

Raneados on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Good luck dealing with the new more than ever self-entitled generation of children and their broken parents!

bombardier on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I asked what the "big toy(s)" was/were this year and they mentioned a couple of things for little girls I'd never heard of and nothing really for boys. There doesn't seem to be anything as big as there was during that run of Christmases in the late 90's when Gabe saw action where you had the Tomagotchi and the Tickle Me Elmo and the Furby and whatnot all in a row.

Gaslight on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »

Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

Seriously.

And don't make their first day black Friday :( That was a bit painful.

skettios on
    edited October 2010
    Justin Bieber everything.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited October 2010
    Justin Bieber everything.
    twilight-pillow.jpg

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    At least there's no big fad this year that'll be driving parents to kill you. Unless... I'm not up to speed on the fads, in which case you're dead.

Went googling to see the top toys this year and it's likely some stupid pillow that is also a stuffed animal.

A pillow pet.

BUT WHO THE FUCK CARES LOOK AT THIS AWESOME TOY THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BUY

LEGO MINOTAURUS.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh shit
    want that.

skettios on
    edited October 2010
    Honestly what I'm dreading the most is a "Code Adam," when some moronic scag tells little four-year-old Emma or Tyler "Stay right here" and then walks away and then SURPRISE she can't find her offspring when she comes back two minutes later and then everything in the whole store comes to a halt while she freaks out and we track down her kid wherever the little munchkin wandered off to. They told me this is going to happen fairly frequently.

Gaslight on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only big Christmas 'mutt haves' in the last 5 years or so have been video game related anyway. Maybe the odd Harry Potter DVD? I dunno, I don't have to buy for the younger generation.

Bad-Beat on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    skettios wrote: »

Seriously.

I imagine that you just sat down at a bar stool and started drinking to ease the pain.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
    edited October 2010

Seriously.

I imagine that you just sat down at a bar stool and started drinking to ease the pain.

So if this is a typical evening for me, I should be fine?

Gaslight on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

25th anniversary wiis

Rent on
    edited October 2010

Seriously.

So if this is a typical evening for me, I should be fine?

If your life as it is has put you on the drink, this Christmas will have you mixing them with prescription pain killers.

babyeatingjesus on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This will be my fourth holiday season at Toys R Us, and starting as seasonal here was my very first job. (oh god.) It's not too hard, but you will probably be shot by at least two angry parents.

Holidays at tru are seriously the best. Just keep in mind there are at least 40 other new season people depending on the size of your store who suck.

pillow on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If anything, working Christmas retail made me hate the human race more than ever.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Like, I'm excited for you.

pillow on
    edited October 2010
    pillow wrote: »
    This will be my fourth holiday season at Toys R Us, and starting as seasonal here was my very first job. (oh god.) It's not too hard, but you will probably be shot by at least two angry parents.

Holidays at tru are seriously the best. Just keep in mind there are at least 40 other new season people depending on the size of your store who suck.

Apparently "my" store goes from about 40 up to about 120 for the season.

Gaslight on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I worked at Toys R Us for 2 weeks in early November 2004 as a seasonal part timer. I even got to be Geoffrey in a Santa Claus event (yes, I volunteered to walk around in the costume).

Then, Waldenbooks offered me a seasonal job at a nearby mall. Thank God, that job was way more awesome (I worked the calendar store by myself for 2 months, it was easy).

Goose! on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly what I'm dreading the most is a "Code Adam," when some moronic scag tells little four-year-old Emma or Tyler "Stay right here" and then walks away and then SURPRISE she can't find her offspring when she comes back two minutes later and then everything in the whole store comes to a halt while she freaks out and we track down her kid wherever the little munchkin wandered off to. They told me this is going to happen fairly frequently.

Hahaha. I thought Code Adam was a toy or game or something. You have no idea how confused I was in regards to this year's new hot toy

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
This discussion has been closed.