Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

We Are Toys, Us - Search Character Map for backwards R

GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
723698869_rAkGo-L.jpg

So guys, I just got a job working at Toys R Us for the holiday season. Yeah, for serial. And I should mention I've never worked retail before.

I figure this is actually a resume booster because if I survive people will see my accomplishment and say "The kid must be tough."

Anyone want to give me advice or abuse or just say "You poor stupid bastard"?

Gaslight on
1Slimus.jpg
«1

Posts

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    let me check the back


    nope

    all out of advice

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if they don't give you a cyanide pill, invest in one yourself.

    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You poor stupid bastard.

    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FUCK YOU

    FUCK YOU AND DIE IN THE HORRIBLE STINKING TRAILER PARK YOUR MOMMA BIRTHED YOU IN


    that is just a taste of what awaits you

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you're going to work in one of the world's largest toy store chains

    during a holiday season

    with no prior experience in retail?

    you're going to cry

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you know you're going to get dragged through a trail of shit the entire holiday season and then get canned when it's over, right?

  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    all for 7.25 an hour, too

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you are absolutely going to get treated like shit

    you're a seasonal employee at toys r us

    you are less than dirt to customers, managers, supervisors, and most other employees

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Poor dumb Sum ma ma bitch aint even seein it comin.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    all for 7.25 an hour, too

    Ha! I actually get $8.00 an hour! So THERE!

    Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns (I'm finishing my degree in poly sci), and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

    Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit. And yes, I am fully aware I'll get canned by like the middle of January post-returns at the latest.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    all for 7.25 an hour, too

    Ha! I actually get $8.00 an hour! So THERE!

    Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns, and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

    Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit.

    Boy just cause they give you a gun, and tell you how to shoot, doesnt mean you know how to kill a man.

  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    all for 7.25 an hour, too

    Ha! I actually get $8.00 an hour! So THERE!

    Most of my previous work experience has actually been internships on political campaigns, and the theory I'm operating on is that if I can handle an angry voter who just got her 50th campaign call of the day at dinner time I can handle any holiday shopper.

    Yeah, I know, I'm full of shit. And yes, I am fully aware I'll get canned by like the middle of January post-returns at the latest.

    you'll be dealing with these people face to face, not over the phone

    salvation is not one button push away

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    in honesty, you're probably used to being extremely patient with people

    remember that kids are dickheads

    and this ain't a resume builder

    nobody cares that you sold toys at christmas

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm furiously trying to find a way to get out of retail before Boxing Day.

    Pre-Christmas is bad, but that one day of boxing day is just the worst.

    Mind you I'm at Best Buy, not Toys 'R Us.

    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At least there's no big fad this year that'll be driving parents to kill you. Unless... I'm not up to speed on the fads, in which case you're dead.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In all seriousness I don't actually think this will do jack for my resume, but I am interested in testing my moral fortitude and finding out what I'm made of.

    It will build character, like Calvin's dad always said.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    there's always a fad, bad-beat

    always

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i can't really say of any HUGE fad this year

    videogames seem like the hot ticket item lately

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Good luck dealing with the new more than ever self-entitled generation of children and their broken parents!

  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

    Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I asked what the "big toy(s)" was/were this year and they mentioned a couple of things for little girls I'd never heard of and nothing really for boys. There doesn't seem to be anything as big as there was during that run of Christmases in the late 90's when Gabe saw action where you had the Tomagotchi and the Tickle Me Elmo and the Furby and whatnot all in a row.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

    Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

    Seriously.

    And don't make their first day black Friday :( That was a bit painful.

  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Justin Bieber everything.

    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Justin Bieber everything.
    twilight-pillow.jpg

    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • AphostileAphostile Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    At least there's no big fad this year that'll be driving parents to kill you. Unless... I'm not up to speed on the fads, in which case you're dead.

    Went googling to see the top toys this year and it's likely some stupid pillow that is also a stuffed animal.

    A pillow pet.

    BUT WHO THE FUCK CARES LOOK AT THIS AWESOME TOY THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BUY

    LEGO MINOTAURUS.

    Tinychat is dead. Long live Tinychat. D3 BTag: Aphostile#1366 OKC : Steam - ADD ME JERKS : Hello Satan! | Xbox Live : LastAphostile
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly what I'm dreading the most is a "Code Adam," when some moronic scag tells little four-year-old Emma or Tyler "Stay right here" and then walks away and then SURPRISE she can't find her offspring when she comes back two minutes later and then everything in the whole store comes to a halt while she freaks out and we track down her kid wherever the little munchkin wandered off to. They told me this is going to happen fairly frequently.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only big Christmas 'mutt haves' in the last 5 years or so have been video game related anyway. Maybe the odd Harry Potter DVD? I dunno, I don't have to buy for the younger generation.

  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

    Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

    Seriously.

    And don't make their first day black Friday :( That was a bit painful.

    I imagine that you just sat down at a bar stool and started drinking to ease the pain.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

    Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

    Seriously.

    And don't make their first day black Friday :( That was a bit painful.

    I imagine that you just sat down at a bar stool and started drinking to ease the pain.

    So if this is a typical evening for me, I should be fine?

    1Slimus.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    At least there's no big fad this year that'll be driving parents to kill you. Unless... I'm not up to speed on the fads, in which case you're dead.

    25th anniversary wiis

  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I've done Christmas retail twice, two different places.

    You'll become a stronger person because of it, don't worry.

    But yeah it won't do shit for your resume, but it'll give you good practice at customer service.

    Everyone should work black Friday retail just once, so they remember to treat people, like people.

    Seriously.

    And don't make their first day black Friday :( That was a bit painful.

    I imagine that you just sat down at a bar stool and started drinking to ease the pain.

    So if this is a typical evening for me, I should be fine?

    If your life as it is has put you on the drink, this Christmas will have you mixing them with prescription pain killers.

    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This will be my fourth holiday season at Toys R Us, and starting as seasonal here was my very first job. (oh god.) It's not too hard, but you will probably be shot by at least two angry parents.

    Holidays at tru are seriously the best. Just keep in mind there are at least 40 other new season people depending on the size of your store who suck.

  • AphostileAphostile Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If anything, working Christmas retail made me hate the human race more than ever.

    Tinychat is dead. Long live Tinychat. D3 BTag: Aphostile#1366 OKC : Steam - ADD ME JERKS : Hello Satan! | Xbox Live : LastAphostile
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pillow wrote: »
    This will be my fourth holiday season at Toys R Us, and starting as seasonal here was my very first job. (oh god.) It's not too hard, but you will probably be shot by at least two angry parents.

    Holidays at tru are seriously the best. Just keep in mind there are at least 40 other new season people depending on the size of your store who suck.

    Apparently "my" store goes from about 40 up to about 120 for the season.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! Yeah I wrote that Its called I Wanna Rock Your Body (till the break of dawn)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I worked at Toys R Us for 2 weeks in early November 2004 as a seasonal part timer. I even got to be Geoffrey in a Santa Claus event (yes, I volunteered to walk around in the costume).

    Then, Waldenbooks offered me a seasonal job at a nearby mall. Thank God, that job was way more awesome (I worked the calendar store by myself for 2 months, it was easy).

  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Honestly what I'm dreading the most is a "Code Adam," when some moronic scag tells little four-year-old Emma or Tyler "Stay right here" and then walks away and then SURPRISE she can't find her offspring when she comes back two minutes later and then everything in the whole store comes to a halt while she freaks out and we track down her kid wherever the little munchkin wandered off to. They told me this is going to happen fairly frequently.

    Hahaha. I thought Code Adam was a toy or game or something. You have no idea how confused I was in regards to this year's new hot toy

    s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
«1
This discussion has been closed.