As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

God damm malware

GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got a particularly obnoxious malware program lurking somewhere in my hard drive that is tied to a fucking search engine called "ask". The SOP for this piece of crap is to redirect a web address to the search engine as a search topic; even if I click on the address it has listed or click a link from another page I wind up redirected to the search engine's results.

How do I go about exorcising this insufferable lump of code?

Gaddez on

• SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    check your hosts file - windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open it in notepad. If there's anything underneath the one line that says 127.0.0.1 localhost, select all and delete

then boot safe mode w networking, download MalwareBytes, update and scan

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also run msconfig and check the start-up for suspicious file locations and names.

My always recommended advice: back up the stuff you can't live without and nuke the system from orbit.

3drage on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Download and Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Make him do a full (complete) scan and delete every suspicius thing he finds. This tool work wonders.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    Also run msconfig and check the start-up for suspicious file locations and names.

My always recommended advice: back up the stuff you can't live without and nuke the system from orbit.

I second this. If you have a properly set up system the time to restore is almost always less than the time it would take to root out the pests, and you can always be 100% sure you got it this way.

Buttcleft on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Download and Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Make him do a full (complete) scan and delete every suspicius thing he finds. This tool work wonders.

And after that, run super anti-spyware (It looks fake, but it's legit), I've had better luck with that than Malware Bytes lately

blakfeld on