As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was at ShmooCon in DC this year when we got hit with Snowmageddon (something like 24 inches of snow fell, on top of the many inches we already had). The staff made it bearable, but a lot of the local businesses were shut down, and as we understood it the a lot of the hotel staff had to stay on property because there was no way to get home (or for relief employees to get there). Pray that we don't have something like that (although it does make for an easier con to navigate when a lot of the attendees can't even get there due to grounded flights).

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    I'll bring my leather coat, a thin pair gloves, and maybe a toque. I might skip the toque. Wouldn't want to overheat.

I'm going to hope that looking up a 4-day forecast for Boston around that time will be accurate. Depending on what it says, I'll likely be bringing both my winter coat and spring jacket.

A 5 minute walk in snow won't bother me one bit. I'm looking forward to seeing some reactions from people where snow isn't a yearly occurrence.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really hope it doesn't snow for a few days before - flights being canceled would be annoying - but I wouldn't a few feet of snow falling during that weekend - being stranded at PAX would be epic.

Heleor on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    I'll bring my leather coat, a thin pair gloves, and maybe a toque. I might skip the toque. Wouldn't want to overheat.

I'm going to hope that looking up a 4-day forecast for Boston around that time will be accurate. Depending on what it says, I'll likely be bringing both my winter coat and spring jacket.

A 5 minute walk in snow won't bother me one bit. I'm looking forward to seeing some reactions from people where snow isn't a yearly occurrence.

I'm from the prairies so you can imagine how much more entertaining it is for me. The only thing that's going to suck is the humidity of a coastal city.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Imagine if it snows during PAX enough to close some local businesses.
    Im pretty sure PAX would kill any food/booze supply in all of the nearby hotels, heh.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Imagine if it snows during PAX enough to close some local businesses.
    Im pretty sure PAX would kill any food/booze supply in all of the nearby hotels, heh.

Yeah... ShmooCon had maybe like 1500-2000 attendees that were able to make it, and it still felt like a lot. I'm assuming that even with heavy snow, trains would still be running, so a lot of PAX attendees would make it. I think we nearly destroyed the Chipotle next to the hotel.

The only place to get breakfast was the hotel restaurant. Line was real big.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    ValkerionValkerion Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Oh I just noticed something. On the hotels reserve site the default check out date is that Sunday (13th) does that mean check out will be the following monday morning or be on that sunday. Just wondering.

Valkerion on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Valkerion wrote: »
    Oh I just noticed something. On the hotels reserve site the default check out date is that Sunday (13th) does that mean check out will be the following monday morning or be on that sunday. Just wondering.

Checkout is usually before noon on the day of it. If you kept the default you would not get to stay sunday night.

Heleor on
  • Options
    Mrtheplague92Mrtheplague92 24 year old Pax'er from PA Bethlehem PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Booked at the InterContinental Boston from Wed- Sun with 6 friends :D. Half mile walks doesn't sound to bad even if it snows.

Mrtheplague92 on
  • Options
    BlurrBlurr Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Blurr wrote: »
    I find it odd that they have 100+ rooms (for single beds) left on friday/saturday but apparently 0 left for sunday night. Could this be just that they didn't add in rooms for sunday night on the block? What's my likelihood of getting them to let me stay the extra night at the same rate? (as opposed to the extra 80+ bucks it would cost to stay a night at the regular rate)

Thats because Sunday night was sold out of rooms in the block. They had a lot but not as much as the nights of the show itself.

But that's what's confusing me. I'm assuming it's along the lines of they allowed for x block reservations on the nights of the show and a smaller number for sunday night? Is it just that they're going to make me pay the higher rate if I stay on sunday, and if so, what's my way around this seemingly arbitrary raise in price? (or do we call it the "get the heck out" tax?) Or is someone who apparently booked through the block going to need the room now that the show is over? (which doesn't make sense to me)

Anyone have any insight from the hotel side of things, or know the likelihood of them letting me stay the extra night at the reduced rate? (Assuming they aren't going to want me to give up my room)

Blurr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They probably (correctly) assumed that a lot of people would be leaving Sunday evening, rather than monday.

Very unlikely that they'll let you stay at the cheaper rate out of the block.

Heleor on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A lot of the PAX crowd travels semi-locally and wouldn't be staying until monday so there was fewer rooms for the sunday night block.

If you stay longer most likely the hotel will charge you the normal rate rather than the convention rate, because the negotiated room block rate is full. (happened to me once before at a different convention cause I tried the same thing you are proposing)

You could always move to a different hotel for sunday.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    They probably (correctly) assumed that a lot of people would be leaving Sunday evening, rather than monday.

Very unlikely that they'll let you stay at the cheaper rate out of the block.

It's also possible that the BCEC has a new conference coming in during the week - a lot of work/industry conferences are held during the work week, not weekends. They could have blocks that are starting for other events.

flatline on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A lot of the PAX crowd travels semi-locally and wouldn't be staying until monday so there was fewer rooms for the sunday night block.

If you stay longer most likely the hotel will charge you the normal rate rather than the convention rate, because the negotiated room block rate is full. (happened to me once before at a different convention cause I tried the same thing you are proposing)

You could always move to a different hotel for sunday.

This is what my buddy and I are doing. We're staying at Seaport Thursday through Saturday night and then Sunday after closing ceremonies we're moving to a Holiday Inn.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    shooooot. just got my room now. soooo late on this. only got thurs/fri/sat at the westin waterfront, 1 double bed.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    shooooot. just got my room now. soooo late on this. only got thurs/fri/sat at the westin waterfront, 1 double bed.

I would double check, the Westin waterfront has been sold out of doubles for Thurs/Fri for a few weeks now.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I would double check, the Westin waterfront has been sold out of doubles for Thurs/Fri for a few weeks now.

There's a difference between a double room and a double bed - but I was under the impression that all the single-bed rooms at the Westin were king-size.

Heleor on
  • Options
    TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I believe all the single beds are king-size; I may be mistaken, but I think the 1 bed single versus double refers to occupancy, i.e. 1 bed, double occupancy.

Tinkster on
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Or for anyone whose journey will be overnight, leaving the Sunday can also make sense. That's what we're doing, to get a 7pm flight back to the UK, and we can then sleep much of the flight back and be home to play with everything new, on the Monday :)

rnicoll on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Westin Waterfront in the hizzie.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tinkster wrote: »
    I believe all the single beds are king-size; I may be mistaken, but I think the 1 bed single versus double refers to occupancy, i.e. 1 bed, double occupancy.

If that's the case, then I was completely confused by the "2 double beds" tag and my partner and I are in a 2 bed room, which means we have a whole bed to spare. A whole queen or king bed...

El Fantastico on

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The "two double beds" rooms are just that, two double beds.
    The "one bed" rooms are all king beds.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like we should just move to the Westin then and take a single King. Only $10/night more and the convenience of being next door.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    shabinashabina Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Staying at the colonnade again this year. just saw they have a $159 early bird rate plus free internet.

shabina on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, I'm surprised at the number of people still staying in the Back Bay area this year, considering how far it is from the BCEC.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Was somewhat late this year in getting my room so we're at the seaport, I raised an eyebrow at the 3/5 stars, hoping it's halfway decent. Probably already been answered, but does anyone have experience with the condition of the rooms at the seaport?

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    Was somewhat late this year in getting my room so we're at the seaport, I raised an eyebrow at the 3/5 stars, hoping it's halfway decent. Probably already been answered, but does anyone have experience with the condition of the rooms at the seaport?

It's not like 3 star hotels are inherently bad, just expect lots of Ikea-style furniture. If it were anything below 3 I'd be concerned though.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Exodus1 wrote: »

I was at the seaport earlier this year, back in February, and the rooms are very nice. I was going to stay there, but got too antsy with waiting for hotels to be posted and booked at the club quarters (rooms at the seaport were listed for $400 a night on hotels.com, hence going to club quarters). One thing I noticed in my room is that the mirrors are heated so when you get out of the shower it isn't fogged up. It was very comfortable too, so you made a very good choice.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    yodakrylloutyodakryllout Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Me and my friends are trying to figure out the costs of everything to go to PAX East this year. We are trying to save as much money as possible, we are going to stay at the Holiday Inn Boston Brookline. We wanted to know if we could rent a room for 2 people, but just have 4 people stay in it. Not in a way like could we all fit in it but will the hotel allow it.

Thanks

Also does the shuttle for that hotel go straight to PAX?

yodakryllout on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want a room for 4 you rent a room for 4. Otherwise you're renting a room for 2 and sneaking in 2 others which is illegal and will get you kicked out if busted.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want a room for 4 you rent a room for 4. Otherwise you're renting a room for 2 and sneaking in 2 others which is illegal and will get you kicked out if busted.

I dont think it's illegal... if the room, for example, is a 2 double bed room.. they'll just charge an extra fee. But if it's a single bed room (king, queen, etc.), they may not allow it. Though the fee can also apply to these rooms as well, contact the hotel for more. Even Moe suggested for me to book a single bed room at the Westin, get a rollaway, and put 4 people in there (since the double bed rooms booked full).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I dont think it's illegal... if the room, for example, is a 2 double bed room.. they'll just charge an extra fee. But if it's a single bed room (king, queen, etc.), they may not allow it. Though the fee can also apply to these rooms as well, contact the hotel for more. Even Moe suggested for me to book a single bed room at the Westin, get a rollaway, and put 4 people in there (since the double bed rooms booked full).

Which is fine if you book a room with a single bed that allows 4 people to stay (which would surprise me, usually that would violate fire code among other things) and you tell them 4 people will be staying it. If you book that room for 1 and then have 4 people sleep there then you'll be in the shit if you get caught.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Which is fine if you book a room with a single bed that allows 4 people to stay (which would surprise me, usually that would violate fire code among other things) and you tell them 4 people will be staying it. If you book that room for 1 and then have 4 people sleep there then you'll be in the shit if you get caught.

As a former hotel employee (this was a 4 star hotel) I can say that most hotels don't give a crap as long as you're not packing in people like sardines. Most hotels will default singles to a single king and doubles to a double queen (we mostly did business travelers, so people don't want to share), and typically (though this does vary, a lot of hotels will try to make you get a larger or extra room) up to 4 people are allowed to stay in a room with two queens. But if we've got people with kids, or a younger group, it's something the hotel really didn't care about as long as the room wasn't trashed. Basically, as long as you're discreet and don't make a mess, the hotel either won't care/won't notice the extra people. Extra people in a single room is exceedingly common con behavior, and trust me, if hotels really objected to it, you'd have heard hell about it from con crowds long ago.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    As a former hotel employee (this was a 4 star hotel) I can say that most hotels don't give a crap as long as you're not packing in people like sardines. Most hotels will default singles to a single king and doubles to a double queen (we mostly did business travelers, so people don't want to share), and typically (though this does vary, a lot of hotels will try to make you get a larger or extra room) up to 4 people are allowed to stay in a room with two queens. But if we've got people with kids, or a younger group, it's something the hotel really didn't care about as long as the room wasn't trashed. Basically, as long as you're discreet and don't make a mess, the hotel either won't care/won't notice the extra people. Extra people in a single room is exceedingly common con behavior, and trust me, if hotels really objected to it, you'd have heard hell about it from con crowds long ago.

I would tend to agree with this. I think I've stated this a while back but I've booked rooms often for all kinds of occasions in the past two years. My personal experience is that you pay per room, not per person, however certain room types will only allow up to a certain amount of people for fire safety hazards. Usually you can fit 5 people in a room with two double beds. I've seen one instance where we could have more than 5 in one room but an extra charge (minimal) would be added to the room.

I think people believe there are charges based on the number of guest you claim to have when you shop for your hotel online. I think it's only because they will try to accommodate you with a room that fits what stay you've described. You would not fit a couple in a room with two double beds unless you had nothing else... The prices will obviously go up.

So in the end, pick the room you like the best and then ask just how many people you can actually have in there, even if they have to sleep on the floor. Besides, what's the big harm in just asking what your options are?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    The Nekked NinjaThe Nekked Ninja Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    We're staying at the Eliot. we're packing 7 people in to a 2 bed suite, but I guess it has a pullout so we should be ok. Were gonna put the kid on the floor, I mean what's he gonna say.

The Nekked Ninja on
  • Options
    3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you get a larger discount if you have a larger group of people that you are booking hotel rooms for? I might have a group of 8 people going, but if there isn't a discount for booking a room with more people, I might book one room before the other.

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    3ricG wrote: »
    Do you get a larger discount if you have a larger group of people that you are booking hotel rooms for? I might have a group of 8 people going, but if there isn't a discount for booking a room with more people, I might book one room before the other.

You aren't going to get group discounts on top of group discounts unless you happen to be sleeping with one of the managers at the hotel in question. Even then good luck.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You aren't going to get group discounts on top of group discounts unless you happen to be sleeping with one of the managers at the hotel in question. Even then good luck.

I wasn't sure. I saw that if you have more than 4 people going, you have to make a group account to book rooms in a hotel. Does it guarantee that you will get two adjacent rooms if you have a group account and book 2 rooms?

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I wasn't sure. I saw that if you have more than 4 people going, you have to make a group account to book rooms in a hotel. Does it guarantee that you will get two adjacent rooms if you have a group account and book 2 rooms?

Since I'd assume you're already using the group discounts given from PAX, most hotels aren't going to be willing to give you double discounts. As for guaranteeing two adjacent rooms you'd have to ask the hotel specifically.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have another question about the hotels. When it says "Room Type" is "single", "double", "triple", or "quad", what does that mean?

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png