As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC [Dark Sun] Shattered Lands

• Options
    AmusingSNAmusingSN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, I'm guessing the crit feature for something that creates a field (like cloud of daggers or fire wall) doesn't apply the crit to the hit roll if a creature walks into it....only on the initial casting?

Correct, the crit bonus would only apply to the target that you had to roll to hit.

Also, damage bonuses from magical implements, feats, etc, only apply when you ROLL for damage, not on static modifiers. So the cloud of daggers "int damage for creatures entering or starting turns in the zone" feature really only does your int modifier, you don't get any other bonuses.

Magic missile has a built in exception -- specific rules trump general rules.
    In her Skills, she has both Insight and Perception twice, one set in "trained", one set in "passive". Which do I use in what situations, or do they add together somehow?

If you are asked to roll your insight or perception, you roll 1d20 and add your skill bonus from the trained area. The passive total is you trained modifier + 10, and that's more for Dan to worry about than us. He consults that instead of asking you to roll.

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    KiplingskatKiplingskat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gotcha, thanks!

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    feeddannowfeeddannow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Enemies have gone. You have alllll day to think about what you have to do now. Have fun.

EDIT: The IC post was an edit, so it might not show up as new - but I promise its there.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, feel free to discuss your strategy ooc here ... you all act as a team, and you will really need to pull together to get through this.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The best strategy in this situation is to use AOEs to take out the minions, with single target damage focused on the big bads.

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    Zombie_Lord_DemusZombie_Lord_Demus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    2 hits and the bugman is BLOODIED!!! time to starting making a "Backup" character ... LoL.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    MendokusaiMendokusai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So confusion: and I move through the mudflats with elven goodness or am I slowed? is it just shifting that gets the bonus?

also question about flanking large things... if i were to move to a place where theres a square between me and matt, is that flanked? or do we need to be on opposite ends?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    J-BotJ-Bot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oops, looks like Cloud of daggers was erratta-ed. It's not int mod damage now. it's wisdom, but same principal. So cloud will only do 1 point of damage to creatures in or entering it. Initial damage roll still applies though looks like.

Okay, I can position Mahzz so he fires off an AOE that will likely encompass all the minions near us, and also catch big and ugly in the blast too. And not hit mat in the process. I won't have enough of an action left to send a spell to help out Chet and company though >_< But if Mat can deal with big and ugly, and I manage to fry all the minions...we can get teo to move to a safer postition.

I'm open to suggestions. I have no idea what this creature's resistances are though...if anyone wants to roll a monster knowledge check or something?

Also, I woudln't get near the big ugly thing if Mahzz is launching a fireball....I might kill you in the blast if I crit it.

Edit: I'm planning on targeting Q25 Course I'll have to move to get it into my LOS.

J-Bot on
    "For art to appear, you must disappear." ~ Stephen Nachmanovitch
    Aedril character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=889486
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The mudflats are difficult terrain. So yes, you only ignore that on your shifts. They cost 2 movement per square instead of 1. You only become "slowed" if you enter the mud sinks in the orange.

On flanking a large thing, you need to be on opposing sides. Same as usual.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so if i were to enter a difficult terrain square on my last move, can i still attack? aka can I run to r22 and still attack the biggie?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, depending on Dan's answer and that's what you wanna do, that square would keep you out of the blast radius....you might get some singed eyebrows though ;) The fireball has a blast radius of 3 squares.....it's not a small thing.

I'm still not 100% if I want to use that or not. Might blast the minions...but big ugly might absorb fire for all I know.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    First reacton:
    Holy aztec insectuar crap on a stick, Batman! I knew Dan wasn't going to coddle, but dang...

I just knew I should have kept my Spirit closer...
    Looks like Coax, Mahzz, Mat and Teo are in this together down in the southeastern side of things, for now.

I think I can roll a Monster check, and since I'm too far away to do anything with Teo or her spirit companion just yet, I'll re-maneuver and try to roll for that.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so my plan:

Move - run to S21...
    SA - charge to R22/basic melee +! on baddie
    Minor - Terrain advantage +4 deffenses in dificult terrain.

I realize I won't do much damage, I will probably miss - but I need to get around the biggie at one point...

is this a good idea or no?

would it be better to move closer and attack on my second turn?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'll be repositioning Teo (so she's not right in the path of the baddies) and using a Monster Check, while getting my Companion into a better tactical position.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    DavidalBarronDavidalBarron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I exhort you to fireball all the minions (and Uexitatl)! If they're out of the way, we can gang up on the big guy. Kill all the little fish so we don't have to think about them.

DavidalBarron on
    Murphy Fogg, psioniCat and his thrall Edwin Cocalas, wizard

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Not as concerned about the big one....plus with the small fry outta the way I can turn my attention to help bugman. :) (hopefully before he becomes bugmeat)

Since we're doing group init, we don't need to worry exactly what order we go right? Unless someone's desperate, I can take the next move.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, I'm getting a sense that this is like one big, bloody, complicated, Aztec version of 'Kick the Can'...with multiple cans...and Teo is one of those cans... o_o

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well, I've gotta get off line soon- so what do you want me to do guys?

a) attack the big one

b) get closer, do some checks and attack next time?

I'll go with b unless someone has input..

Ok.. sorry I gotta go - hope i don't get in anyones way.

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't worry too much, main thing is to have fun. don't forget the fun ;) Regardless, we'll make it work. And sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution.

Also, how accurate is LOS....does it have to be in terms of squares, (diagonal/horizontal/vertical) or is it literally a straight line between two points? And how closely can you clip another creature's square if it is literally a straight line?

I think if I move 4 north I'll have a clear shot to an appropriate target square....at least by stretching a string between the squares it seems not to pass through any occupied squares. (I'm aiming for R27 from N14) I might be able to adjust though.

Nevermind....5 north gives me a better/clear shot...gonna take my turn.

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't worry, I got Bug-man's back.

Don't forget to heal Cha'Ka HS+8 hit points

Edit edit: [strike]Gah! Don't spend an AP to do second wind! Use it for Killin'![/strike]

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    aniketaniket Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Questions time-

1. Which monsters have acted on Dan's post?

2. Um.... how did they act? I'm a bit confused at the concept of group initiative, it seems. I thought players would act first.

3. Do the alters provide cover or superior cover or no cover?

4. If I roll Stealth against one enemy and another one has direct LoS to me, does that mean it is an automatic fail?

Tactics time-

Should I go for the minion or Moonless Flayers or Ix, as I imagine Kabocha and Aureus would intercept too, to give Cha some room?

aniket on
    "In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Remus, go after IX: harass him with your arrows while Chet and Kabocha beat him down. Unleash all you've got, I want him dead fast so we can get over to the Big Guy and support Matt.

Somebody clean up IX's minions so they don't sneak up on me.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Okay, finally posted my turn....sorry that took so long, had to make to-hit and damage rolls for 4 different enemies. >_<

The price of being a wizard I guess lol.

Blah at least 2 of em are easily gonna be fine. Not sure what their reflexes are, Could be all four survive and kill us all. *shrug*

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I bet you have a new hell you could unleash with an Action Point.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aye, that's true. If I did, I'd send a force orb over to hurt some of those flayers. (only hits adjacent enemies, so allies won't get hurt) But that's just speculation. Seems (according to the wiki) even though the one MS was spared, the full wrath...they have like....1 hp, so all three got charred up.

Next turn, depending, I should be able to help control those flayers....they seem to be a little more annoying. Granted though, chet and kabocha need to take out the demon. The rogues might be able to help with IX.

Need to sleep now...unless my logic gets more flawed that it already is xD

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Minions never take damage from missed attacks.

Also, when doing a area or burst attack, roll damage once and apply it to everyone affected. We will take your first roll since you didn't know.

Also, the MS are minions, but the MF are not... Maybe I misread but I doubt Chet killed a flayer in one hit.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aight, making the corrections.....aaaand....NOW sleep time *collapse*

J-Bot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think Mahzz may have missed his level bonus on his two hit rolls. But I could be mistaken. I don't think it makes a difference in this case, but in the future it likely will.

You should have the following modifier to hit:

Int Modifier + Half Level + Enhancement + Miscellaneous.

Which in your case, I think, is 5+3+1=+9 to hit?

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    aniket wrote: »
    Questions time-

1. Which monsters have acted on Dan's post?

2. Um.... how did they act? I'm a bit confused at the concept of group initiative, it seems. I thought players would act first.

3. Do the alters provide cover or superior cover or no cover?

4. If I roll Stealth against one enemy and another one has direct LoS to me, does that mean it is an automatic fail?

?

1) they all did a turn.
    2) players did go first. That was the action before the monsters arrived
    3) yeah a altar could provide partial or superior cover for you.
    4) yes, if an enemy has clear LOS then you can't stealth. It's assumed it would alert the other monsters.

I know you're itching for combat advantage. Let me point out that ix is dazed, granting CA to all comers.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have this really, really bad feeling I've missed a step in Teo's last move, but my brain in shutting down at this point, so must sleep.
    Will try to check in later this morning (aka, in a few hours) and if this is true, will try to fix where possible.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fixed, because I didn't notice that MF1 was a Moonless Flayer from Aztec Hell instead of merely a minion. No real change, but I'm a little more concerned about the upper fight now. Hold out down there, Matt et al.

As for us, Kabocha and Cha'Ka keep the two flayers pinned down while me and the rest finish off IX.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thank you, Dan. And thanks for the tip.

aniket on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mia and Kay both still have standard actions. You can edit them into your current post, or you can ready them. Let me know either way.
    Example: I ready my "Olmec punch" for the first enemy to get into range (5 squares).

That way I know exactly how to process you in the monster phase.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also...

MIA: I can see a way for Caoxoch to run up on Uexitatl without difficult terrain in the way ... you can skirt south of the mudpit and end at S22... that would let you make any of your attacks against him... Well, any that you can make, Crowley is a little slow...

However, if you wanted Crowley to do so he could charge Uexitatl. Then Crowley would make a basic melee attack with a +1 modifier to the hit.

Keep in mind that you would have to choose... you attacking or Crowley attacking would cost a standard action - and you get one of those per turn (Unless you spend an action point - in which case you can have an additional action.)

In case anyone forgot - you begin the game with 1 action point.

feeddannow on
  • Options
    Aureus GreyAureus Grey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My goal is to get Cha out of trouble and keep mopping up Ix's minions. I don't have any AOE attacks, so I'm stuck taking them out one at a time, but I am pretty maneuverable and can avoid triggering attacks of opportunity as long as I stay up close. If I'm not actively attacking a minion, I will try to at least be in a position to facilitate flanking.

Also, I have a nice poison attack that I'd love to inflict on Ix and the demon.

Aureus Grey on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dan, just saw your post but about to walk out the door. Gimme about 30 minutes and I'll edit.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I calculated +1 for combat advantage instead of +2. Silly mistake, but since I hit anyway, I'm not editing.

aniket on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Attack prepared.

Also, are the rules for this particularly friendly little 'game' our characters are in the middle of REALLY that Teo has to stay unhurt? Completely unhurt, as in not a scratch? Or can she get away with getting banged up a little as long as she survives to the end?

EDIT: Also, I used the diagonal rule that first square = 1 move; second = 2, and alternates like that until you run out of move points. Was that right?

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just don't let Teo get bloodied (that is, at no point allow her hit points to drop below half) and we win the "extra credit" portion of the contest.

AmusingSN on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, diagonals are 1-1-1 always, same cost as standard. 4e rules.

feeddannow on