As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Startled the [Chat]!

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Apparently someone is releasing all of Geocities as a 900GB archive.

Also, morning.

this necromancer must be stopped

I just think it's interesting that the bulk of the content from a once-popular free hosting site can fit onto a single hard drive. Also there are people claiming that releasing it is essentially mass copyright infringement, which is an argument I don't think I necessarily agree with.

How could you not agree with it? I mean, I realize that it's ethically gray at worst, but it seems pretty clearly to me to be copyright infringement. They're releasing, without permission, other's intellectual property.

Often times when you sign up for internet services, you agree (through the terms of service) that you lose certain rights to your intellectual property by uploading it to that service.

I don't know if this is the case for geocities but I imagine it could easily have been.

Also, Internet Archives has been archiving everything on the internet for years.

James on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    I propose that Sona/Morde is best lane when you are playing Morde. *Blocks spear from Nidalee aiming for Sona*

God I wanna play Sona with Morde so bad.

It literally is the best thing.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Apparently someone is releasing all of Geocities as a 900GB archive.

Also, morning.

this necromancer must be stopped

I just think it's interesting that the bulk of the content from a once-popular free hosting site can fit onto a single hard drive. Also there are people claiming that releasing it is essentially mass copyright infringement, which is an argument I don't think I necessarily agree with.

How could you not agree with it? I mean, I realize that it's ethically gray at worst, but it seems pretty clearly to me to be copyright infringement. They're releasing, without permission, other's intellectual property.

Often times when you sign up for internet services, you agree (through the terms of service) that you lose certain rights to your intellectual property by uploading it to that service.

I don't know if this is the case for geocities but I imagine it could easily have been.

Also, Internet Archives has been archiving everything on the internet for years.

Lawls TOS's say a lot of shit that aren't true.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    See? I'm not crazy! Duncan's like a half-as-good Giles anyway.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    The combat in Dragon Age does not change based on what class you are. You know why? Because there are up to four people in your party at any given time.

When people say that being a mage is "easy mode" for DA I facepalm because, really, the only difference made by being a mage is that you can have three mages in your party at a time instead of two.

The only way it can really make a difference is if you don't give your party members tactics or commands and just let them do whatever their default behavior is while only actively using the main player character.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Lawls TOS's say a lot of shit that aren't true.

Indeed. But it would have to be challenged in court, and I don't think many geocities users give a shit.

James on
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    See? I'm not crazy! Duncan's like a half-as-good Giles anyway.

While I guess it's possible it was a fake-out
    if you ignore the fact that everyone around him is dying and the horde of darkspawn is descending upon him

I don't really think we can say that this means you aren't crazy

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Eh, I don't really care out of more than loose intellectual interest. That just seems a bit weird to me.

Then again, Facebook's like, the same thing, so maybe it's not so weird.

Shivahn on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is 5:30 and nothing is going on and I should be asleep but welp...

... yeah.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just watched Shutter Island

christ that movie is a mindfuck

Rent on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

They were putting this stuff up in the public domain. It's like how anybody can sell a photograph of a Banksy.

Oh, then, whatever. I didn't realize Geocities stuff was public domain.

It's not public domain, but it is an archive of a public and non-commercial site that is no longer available. They aren't releasing anything that wouldn't still be available if geocities was still up.

To clarify things a little, I don't think releasing the archive, in and of itself, should be sufficient to violate copyright. I can see situations where subsequent use of the stuff in the archive would.

japan on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nearly 7 hours' work. Phew. Just have to do the actual living quarters of my tower (aka the Big Fucking Cube), then it'll be done.

Woot woot. :D

Passerbye on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Hey! My school's in the news!
    recommend.png

I like how 114 people recommend this, and the thing tells me that I should "be the first of my friends."

But seriously, fuck, this is sort of alarming.

Shivahn on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »

I've only read the book, but annoyingly I worked out what was going on. I hate doing that, but there's no satisfaction in a twist that isn't heavily foreshadowed, so writers/authors have to work a very thin line.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I've only read the book, but annoyingly I worked out what was going on. I hate doing that, but there's no satisfaction in a twist that isn't heavily foreshadowed, so writers/authors have to work a very thin line.

Yeah, and not everyone is going to figure it out at the same time either, wonder if you test the editing on random people....

I do know that I've become so jaded that I see plot twist angles where they don't exist.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited October 2010

I thought it was what the final twist was at first but then
    people directly interacted with his partner

so that theory was i thought, dead

Either way the movie had some incredibly bizarre camerawork

Not bad per se, and I love Scorsese, but up until the final twist the entire movie has a feeling of total wrongness and unpleasantness sorta like a Lynch film

Rent on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nommin' the noms, then going to bed.

Be good to each other, [chat]. <3

Passerbye on
    edited October 2010
    Also man some of the scenes seemed really tight in Shutter Island

like there was very little pause to absorb new information in the movie, so it was just constant-constant-constant dialog and mysteries-solving

it felt overwhelming in parts

Rent on
    edited October 2010

You don't derive any satisfaction from the "I knew it!" moment?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    The only movie where I guessed the twist (I'm horrible at guessing twists in movies) was The Machinist, and I think that's part of the reason why I didn't like the movie very much

Man do i love twist movies though

Rent on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »

You don't derive any satisfaction from the "I knew it!" moment?

Nowhere near as much as I gain from having been entirely fooled.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah movies with twists I should've seen coming but didn't are waaaay more satisfying than movies I knew what the twist was in advance

Rent on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn it. The height cap in Minecraft appears to be 64 blocks above sea level. Plans... foiled. (Unless I do a hell of a lot of digging well inland, I guess.)

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I like how 114 people recommend this, and the thing tells me that I should "be the first of my friends.".

Thank science for FacebookBlocker.

Echo on
    edited October 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Damn it. The height cap in Minecraft appears to be 64 blocks above sea level. Plans... foiled. (Unless I do a hell of a lot of digging well inland, I guess.)

Yeah, I wish the limits were twice that. Especially since I like deep mines.

Echo on
    edited October 2010
    so, is minecraft like really fun?

James on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone brought home some tea tree oil hair shampoo

dear god my scalp was alive with the sound of music, to quote the movie

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »
    so, is minecraft like really fun?

It has scope to be incredible, and it was going to go up in price so everybody bought it.

Right now, you get a couple of days faffing about, seeing potential and then it is back to waiting for updates unless you happen to have a compulsion to recreate the Sistine Chapel or something.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Nothing will ever top The Usual Suspects for gobsmacking holy shit twists.

Bogart on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good noon, [chat].

Bogart: did Mrs Bogart's friends get married in the end?

Aldo on
    edited October 2010
    They did, and after much drama and so forth the deed was done. From the pictures I've seen the day itself went swimmingly, so all's well that ends well.

Bogart on
    edited October 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    They did, and after much drama and so forth the deed was done. From the pictures I've seen the day itself went swimmingly, so all's well that ends well.
    That's something. :lol: Glad your wedding had less drama.

To cure our cynicism re:marriage, lemme tell you a short story I heard yesterday about a man and woman in their early 30s in India. They fell in love when they were both in their early 20s, but the father of the girl did not allow them to marry, because the boy was but a poor farmer. So the boy saved all the money he could earn for ten years so that he would be rich enough to get the father's blessing.
    Last year he had enough money and the father had no choice but to allow his daughter to marry him. They got married and there was no party and no family, because a wedding between someone of a higher and a lower caste was not something to celebrate. Now the man and woman are the happiest people in the world and they enjoy long walks along the beach and work very hard at the man's farm.

Aldo on
    edited October 2010
    I wish I was stupid so I too could gain happiness by just blaming everything on liberal conspiracies.
    Writing in about the campaign to get the Machine of Death anthology to #1 on Amazon on its launch day, editor David "Wondermark" Malki writes, "It worked! Machine of Death went to #1 in books for over 24 hours on Tuesday, and was even at #1 in all media back and forth for a while (the John Grisham Kindle edition proved a tough opponent). It's been incredible! But the REALLY funny part was what happened Wednesday. Glenn Beck got mad that his book (which apparently ALSO came out on Tuesday? Who knew?) WASN'T #1 and accused us of being part of a liberal 'culture of death' that 'celebrates the things that have destroyed us.' It's super funny. We didn't even know he was there!"

Echo on
    edited October 2010
    Glenn Beck wrote a book? Is it as terrible as I imagine? Is it about TAKING AMERICA BACK?

Bogart on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Glenn Beck wrote a book? Is it as terrible as I imagine? Is it about TAKING AMERICA BACK?

Man every conservative talking piece writes a book. Some are actual fiction books!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited October 2010
    The Brand New Glenn Beck Bok

James on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    morning guys!

Daxon on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's a chief where I work who said she was really excited to read that book.

Also said she agrees people like Palin and O'Donnel know nothing about government and that's exactly what DC needs. The founding fathers didn't know what they were doing after all and that worked out great.

*sigh*

Quid on
    edited October 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

Man every conservative talking piece writes a book. Some are actual fiction books!

Turnerdiariescover.jpg

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    17969plazaeventmay18.png

I'm not sure what to think.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.