As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead] Season one is over "Man I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again"

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a seperate thread for debating zombie survival techniques. Let's keep it on topic guys.

However debating survival techniques and equipment as it relates to the show is fair game.

edit: or rather I should say the show and comic books.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Instead of chainmail, a leather jacket seems like a good idea. Maybe the sort of full body leather outfits that motorcycle racers wear? Unless a zombie's bite is significantly stronger then a normal human's, it's not gonna get through that.

yeah

leather is a far more practical option than chainmail

also easier to acquire

a bunch of motorcycle gear would make pretty good attire in a zombie apocalypse

Pony on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a seperate thread for debating zombie survival techniques. Let's keep it on topic guys.

There is!?

Also, NEXT SUNDAY!

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

There is!?

Also, NEXT SUNDAY!

yup, someone posted the link earlier in the thread.

edit: here it is
    Ceno wrote: »
    If you guys want to discuss how you would survive the zombie apocalypse, I have an old thread just for you.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=95438

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This was a good episode as a pilot episode. I'm thinking it's going to get better as the show gets into the characters and the plot soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing more episodes.

Magell on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yeah as a pilot this episode was really, really solid

pilots have a hard job for basically any show, especially genre fiction

but this pilot established everything it needed to, introduced the characters it needed to, and left you wanting more

well done

Pony on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    you could make a zombie video game where 1 bite=death, but then you have to make it so that every time a zombie grabs you, you have like, a stamina bar that gets used up as you fight them off and avoid the bite

multiple zombies grabbing you at once would deplete the bar at a far accelerated rate

when the bar empties out, you get bit and are now proper fucked

this is a thing a game could do, if it so chose

This is visionary.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    YOU SOUND LIKE MAH DAMN FATHUUUUUUUUUUUR

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anybody else wonder how they're gonna address

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS GODDAMNIT

THIS IS A SPOILER FROM THE COMIC
    Rick's amputated hand, if the show lasts that long? I mean, it's a total absence of the guy's hand, I don't think any sort of prosthetic is gonna work. They could go with a CGI solution, but... television budget CGI usually sucks ass (points to Lost).
    THIS IS A SPOILER FROM THE COMIC

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rick's amputated hand, if the show lasts that long? I mean, it's a total absence of the guy's hand, I don't think any sort of prosthetic is gonna work. They could go with a CGI solution, but... television budget CGI usually sucks ass (points to Lost).

I wouldn't rip on their CGI yet as it all looks good so far. I really thought the crowd zombie scene was going to suck on a TV budget, but it looked great. Right up there with big budget movies.

Magell on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The same way the had torso/bike girl zombie have no legs.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is something I've been pondering too, as well as the fact that his face transforms into something truly hardened (and almost inhuman, but in a non-zombie way) as time goes on.

Also, we should create some sort of system regarding comic spoilers, as pretty much any of them will be incredibly major. I guess if everyone puts (book spoiler) before the tag, it should be okay.

But seriously, as a personal warning, if you're only familiar with the series, DO NOT look up any comic spoilers.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God damnit I clicked that spoiler.

God fucking damnit.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was too late. :(

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Heh, sorry guys. But this comic does have 78 issues out.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Everyone label your spoilers from now on. Thanks for the effort snuggleworth... But I can't unsee what I have seen. It's too late for me.

You know what to do.

And?

Read the OP next time.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well this sucks, i cannot find the HD version on my AT&T uverse

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyone label your spoilers from now on. Thanks for the effort snuggleworth... But I can't unsee what I have seen. It's too late for me.

You know what to do.

And?

Read the OP next time.

In fairness, that was obviously future tense.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Well, undoubtedly this show is going to bring in a lot of new readers, so courtesy is courtesy.

I'm not up to date on the book myself, which is why I've been hesitant to visit this thread at first.

I still remember there was one douchebag from this very forum who posted a comic pic clearly showing the most shocking moment yet, in a completely separate thread.

• Options
    edited November 2010

Well, undoubtedly this show is going to bring in a lot of new readers, so courtesy is courtesy.

I'm not up to date on the book myself, which is why I've been hesitant to visit this thread at first.

I still remember there was one douchebag from this very forum who posted a comic pic clearly showing the most shocking moment yet, in a completely separate thread.

Was it a different shocking moment from the one in his spoiler? If so, then I'm glad there's actual shockingness that I haven't witnessed yet. I knew something really bad was going to happen, I just didn't know what that actually was.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Was it a different shocking moment from the one in his spoiler? If so, then I'm glad there's actual shockingness that I haven't witnessed yet. I knew something really bad was going to happen, I just didn't know what that actually was.

Yeah. Rick has a one night stand with a zombie after getting drugged up on meth.

Kagera on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah um

I wouldn't worry about having a shortage of shockingly bad somethings happening.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah um

I wouldn't worry about having a shortage of shockingly bad somethings happening.

YOU ARE SPOILING ME.

NOW I KNOW THAT THINGS HAPPEN IN THE STORY!!!!!!1

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It runs circles around the one you read.

Bad things happen in the book. Constantly.

It should be called "The Book of Bad Things"

• Options
    edited November 2010
    There have been many moments while reading when I'll have the thought that TWD is the most bleak and depressing thing I've ever experienced.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It makes Ice and Fire look like Lord of the Rings (the movie versions).

Seriously, my mom said the first episode was the most depressing thing she's seen lately and Oh my God I have to hold my tongue.

I'm certain the ratings will hold up on account of zombies, but I wonder if the downward spiral will put off audiences who won't be able to stomach the really, really bad moments.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    It makes Ice and Fire look like Lord of the Rings (the movie versions).

Seriously, my mom said the first episode was the most depressing thing she's seen lately and Oh my God I have to hold my tongue.

I'm certain the ratings will hold up on account of zombies, but I wonder if the downward spiral will put off audiences who won't be able to stomach the really, really bad moments.

Mm hmm. Yea, it reminds me of Roger Ebert's review of Aliens: "I don't know how else to describe this: The movie made me feel bad. It filled me with feelings of unease and disquiet and anxiety. I walked outside and I didn't want to talk to anyone. I was drained. I'm not sure 'Aliens' is what we mean by entertainment."

Most people watch television for escapist entertainment. They want to let go of real life and escape into a world of fantasy and magic or something along those lines. TWD is not that sort of entertainment at all. And yea, I fear the ratings will suffer because of it.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pretty sure the guys doing the show are willing to deviate from the soul-crushing horror of the comic book series at least a little

Pony on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So is this going to go on Hulu/some other format that those of us without Cable can watch?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pretty sure the guys doing the show are willing to deviate from the soul-crushing horror of the comic book series at least a little

Judging by the first episode, it looks like they're going to add lots of filler, so the "bad moments" should be more evenly spread out instead of being page after page of the stuff.

But based on the first episode, this is a good thing. I really enjoyed the extra screen-time Duane received, and felt that his character was much more identifiable than he was in the book.

Of course at this rate I wonder how long it'll be before they show the Governor. I'm really curious who they'll cast for him.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So is this going to go on Hulu/some other format that those of us without Cable can watch?

iTunes. Amazon.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man. When I figured out why (near end of episode)
    Rick went through the park near the end and found the bisected zombie, I felt really bad for her, and pretty much all of them. I've never felt any sort of empathy at all for zombies in stories with them.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Judging by the first episode, it looks like they're going to add lots of filler, so the "bad moments" should be more evenly spread out instead of being page after page of the stuff.

But based on the first episode, this is a good thing. I really enjoyed the extra screen-time Duane received, and felt that his character was much more identifiable than he was in the book.

Of course at this rate I wonder how long it'll be before they show the Governor. I'm really curious who they'll cast for him.

Well, just from the "This season on..." preview, we know that (COMIC SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST COLLECTION)
    Amy dies - you can see Andrea having her 'holding Amy's corpse" breakdown. I'm also guessing that Shane will survive the first season of the television show - there's no need to ditch the character as quickly as the comic does.

I'm also guessing that we won't see the prison until the final episode of season 2 - too many 'on the road' story possibilities.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah if they keep to a reasonable comic timeline but not constrain themselves by being 100% to the comics canon they should have something wonderful.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I never liked how that character was handled in the book. The conclusion to that felt way too rushed, so I hope it's handled better in the series.

I also hope there are still plenty of silent moments even when the cast grows. I loved those I Am Legend-style bits where he's just wandering around abandoned streets and houses, just letting you view all the background details, having you ponder the meaning behind them (the knives on the tree).

I'm so getting the Blu Ray set.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a concern... regarding the future plot of this. Its not going to turn into a soap opera with the whole
    wife/partner/main guy
    is it?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, if its any consolation, Costanza, the producers have said they aren't entirely sure if they'll do that particular spoiler to Rick or not. I'd almost think that they'll purposely avoid it, just to have another way to differentiate the television show from the comic.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I have a concern... regarding the future plot of this. Its not going to turn into a soap opera with the whole
    wife/partner/main guy
    is it?

Let's just say that character dilemmas/issues don't last very long in this series. To be as non-spoiler as I can, inner demons will usually just be replaced with other, nastier inner demons. Hope that's vague enough.

Also, did anyone else think that one zombie they kept zooming in on in the last act looked like Kevin Bacon?

• Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah... I was wondering how long they were
    going to spend in the camp. If they keep Shane around I can see it being 4-5 episodes instead of my original guess of 1-3.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, if its any consolation, Costanza, the producers have said they aren't entirely sure if they'll do that particular spoiler to Rick or not. I'd almost think that they'll purposely avoid it, just to have another way to differentiate the television show from the comic.

It's kind of central to his development, though (LATER BOOK SPOILERS):
    there are situations where he's forced to work around his handicap, such as the part where he tries to keep Carl from being raped by those deranged hillbillies.

They could delay it for a while, but I think it's inevitable.

This discussion has been closed.