As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I shot the [chat]

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    This programming assignment is retarded

I am so frustrated with how this thing is supposed to be done

What is the assignment?

He has to take in 2-dimensional arrays of characters that forms an ascii drawing of a wang. He then has to evaluate these drawings on a variety of criteria including lowest overall value of all the characters stored and most wang like.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, first paragraph of this story:
    I sat on the park bench, finishing my BLT and waiting for the rain to stop before I headed home. A rather pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, and black skirt. And three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the rather uneven pavement, not to mention the rough grass.
    “Excuse me, are you Dan Arwood?” she asked, nervousness evident in her voice.
    “No, I’m not,” I replied, slightly puzzled.
    She slumped, dejected. “Shit. I knew I’d gotten here too late. I was supposed to meet him here for a sort of a date fifteen minutes ago. I guess he gave up waiting and went home.”
    I winced. “Oh, that sucks. Although if you ask me, fifteen minutes isn’t so long to wait. I take it this was an online dating thing?”

I'd remove the period separating "black skirt" and "and three-inch heels"

I don't think you're supposed to start a sentence with 'and'. It looks really clumsy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »

What is the assignment?

He has to take in 2-dimensional arrays of characters that forms an ascii drawing of a wang. He then has to evaluate these drawings on a variety of criteria including lowest overall value of all the characters stored and most wang like.

Why not just use a Wang-Johnson algorithm for calculating the gdc of the strings then modulo that and put all the wangs in a problem-tree and then then do a girth-first search?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

Oh, well, it's not really programming. It's an assignment for my programming class. We have a few linked based stacks, and we're do to a series of push/pop operations on them. This is simple, but they want us to draw diagrams in paint to illustrate what is happening after each operation.
    Stacks.png

We've to do this for roughly 40 different operations over 4 different stacks.

Tav on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

Why not just use a Wang-Johnson algorithm for calculating the gdc of the strings then modulo that and put all the wangs in a problem-tree and then then do a girth-first search?

We should totally become CS professors.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

I believe Richy was looking for an assignment for his classy yesterday....

Tav on
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

Oh, well, it's not really programming. It's an assignment for my programming class. We have a few linked based stacks, and we're do to a series of push/pop operations on them. This is simple, but they want us to draw diagrams in paint to illustrate what is happening after each operation.
    Stacks.png

Ouch dude, we had to draw a single one of these on our databases test.

Honk on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I sat on the park bench, finishing my BLT and waiting for the rain to stop before I headed home. A rather pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, and black skirt. And three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the rather uneven pavement, not to mention the rough grass.
    She slumped, dejected. “Shit. I knew I’d gotten here too late. I was supposed to meet him here for a sort of a date fifteen minutes ago. I guess he gave up waiting and went home.”
    I winced. “Oh, that sucks. Although if you ask me, fifteen minutes isn’t so long to wait. I take it this was an online dating thing?”

I don't think you're supposed to start a sentence with 'and'. It looks really clumsy.

I'd dump both uses of 'rather' as well. It feels fussy and unneccessary. 'She slumped, dejected' is a bit redundant. If she slumps, and she says 'shit' we know she's feeling dejected. You've already shown, don't tell as well. I'd recast the sentence about the three-inch heels as well. Starting it with 'And' feels clumsy.

Bogart on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So much for going to bed and not getting called into work to try and devise a long term solution to a problem I have no understanding of.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited November 2010
    I just played with the single most insane Zileon I've ever seen

right out the gate he gets a kill. Then another. Then another. He buys a Mejai's and gets it to 20 stacks in no time. Queue bombs going off for 1500+ damage

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, you're not, but I'm starting a new sentence and using 'and' to reflect the protagonist noticing the shoes as an afterthought. I suppose I could use a dash to emphasize that instead.

Captain Carrot on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

That's clearly the best way to do it when you have a lot of database growth, but most of the time you're just looking for data truncation so all you need to do is insert just the tip into the stack to see if it's cut or uncut.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited November 2010

No, you're not, but I'm starting a new sentence and using 'and' to reflect the protagonist noticing the shoes as an afterthought. I suppose I could use a dash to emphasize that instead.

It doesn't read that way to me currently. I think a dash might work, you should try it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    Coding jokes are the best.

Honk on
    edited November 2010

What is the assignment?

Stacks.png

Ouch dude, we had to draw a single one of these on our databases test.

You'd think after like, the first 3 operations we've shown that we get the fucking idea D:

Tav on
    edited November 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

I'd dump both uses of 'rather' as well. It feels fussy and unneccessary. 'She slumped, dejected' is a bit redundant. If she slumps, and she says 'shit' we know she's feeling dejected. You've already shown, don't tell as well. I'd recast the sentence about the three-inch heels as well. Starting it with 'And' feels clumsy.
    A pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, and black skirt – and three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the pebbly pavement, not to mention the rough grass.

Captain Carrot on
    edited November 2010
    The convenience of air travel has taken another hit.
    Flights containing unaccompanied freight from Somalia will be suspended in the wake of the cargo plane terror plot, Theresa May has said.

The suspension, which will come into force from midnight, is a "precautionary measure" based on "possible contact between al-Qaeda in Yemen and terrorist groups in Somalia, as well as concern about airport security in Mogadishu", Mrs May told MPs.

Toner cartridges larger than 500g (17.6oz) will also be banned from hand baggage on flights departing from the UK and also on cargo flights unless they originate from a regular shipper with security arrangements approved by the Department for Transport, she added.

Prime Minister David Cameron is chairing a meeting of the Government's emergency planning committee as aviation experts called for a full review of the security measures for cargo.

Norman Shanks, former head of security at airport operator BAA, said it was time to introduce "package by package" screening after it emerged one of the cargo plane bombs was transported on passenger aircraft before being found.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said: "What happens, particularly in the coverage of the Yemeni issues of recent days, is that we have another huge lurch by the securicrats into making travel even more uncomfortable and an even more tedious ordeal for the travelling public... Sadly they always win the day and they lurch around with ludicrous new measures."

It may not sound relevant to most of us, but it's one more knee jerk reaction that makes travelling with anything rather inconvenient.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited November 2010
    Yes, I think there is really no point in requiring you to do that. It must take hours.

Two or three examples is all you need to illustrate exactly how it works - always.

Honk on
    edited November 2010

A pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, and black skirt – and three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the pebbly pavement, not to mention the rough grass.

Hmm, still seems a little weird. How does this read to you?
    A pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, black skirt...and three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the pebbly pavement, not to mention the rough grass.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    The convenience of air travel has taken another hit.
    Flights containing unaccompanied freight from Somalia will be suspended in the wake of the cargo plane terror plot, Theresa May has said.

The suspension, which will come into force from midnight, is a "precautionary measure" based on "possible contact between al-Qaeda in Yemen and terrorist groups in Somalia, as well as concern about airport security in Mogadishu", Mrs May told MPs.

Toner cartridges larger than 500g (17.6oz) will also be banned from hand baggage on flights departing from the UK and also on cargo flights unless they originate from a regular shipper with security arrangements approved by the Department for Transport, she added.

Prime Minister David Cameron is chairing a meeting of the Government's emergency planning committee as aviation experts called for a full review of the security measures for cargo.

Norman Shanks, former head of security at airport operator BAA, said it was time to introduce "package by package" screening after it emerged one of the cargo plane bombs was transported on passenger aircraft before being found.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary said: "What happens, particularly in the coverage of the Yemeni issues of recent days, is that we have another huge lurch by the securicrats into making travel even more uncomfortable and an even more tedious ordeal for the travelling public... Sadly they always win the day and they lurch around with ludicrous new measures."

It may not sound relevant to most of us, but it's one more knee jerk reaction that makes travelling with anything rather inconvenient.

I'm waiting for when they finally ban all clothes on airplanes. Those will be the times, of joy!

Honk on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet. Booked flights to Sicily for next week. Hooray for last minute holidays overseas

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited November 2010

Hmm, still seems a little weird. How does this read to you?
    A pretty girl approached, a redhead with a light blue v-neck shirt, denim jacket, black skirt...and three-inch heels, which she somehow managed adroitly on the pebbly pavement, not to mention the rough grass.

Not unobjectionable. I'll go with that for now, and change back if I feel strongly about it later.

Captain Carrot on
    edited November 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Sweet. Booked flights to Sicily for next week. Hooray for last minute holidays overseas

Remember not to bring any printer toner with you.

RMS Oceanic on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo just figured out I am missing a crucial ingredient for dinner, yay.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited November 2010

Also, watch out for mobsters!

Honk on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Carrot, I was fiddling, and ended up re-writing the whole thing. I'm definitely not saying you should do what I've done, but I was trying to get across the same information by saying less.
    I sat on the park bench, finishing my sandwhich and waiting for the rain to stop before I headed home. A pretty redhead approached the bench, walking without difficulty over the uneven ground in three inch heels. She bit her lip before speaking.
    “Excuse me, are you Dan Arwood?”.
    “No, I’m not”.
    She slumped. “Shit. I knew I’d gotten here too late. I was supposed to meet him here fifteen minutes ago. It's a sort of date. I guess he gave up waiting and went home.”
    “I'm sorry." I gave what I hoped was an encouraging smile. "If you ask me, fifteen minutes isn’t so long to wait. I take it this was an online dating thing?”

I don't know whether this is helpful to you, but I felt like posting it after working on it for a few minutes.

Bogart on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay, I'm scheduled to look at a new apartment tomorrow. :D

Boo, the meeting is at 7 am on my day off. D:

Kilroy on
    edited November 2010

You two should form the Society of Buzzkills

If I'm not going to be printing posters of mobsters with good British toner ink what the hell is the point of going?!

Kalkino on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nerd, I was not yelling at you for taking the sand I hope this is not why you quit.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

That was my weekend. Got up at 7 for the rally on Saturday, then got up at 6:30 on Sunday to take a friend to the train station.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2010

If I'm not going to be printing posters of mobsters with good British toner ink what the hell is the point of going?!

To reenact the most memorable scenes of Godfather III.

RMS Oceanic on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha.

Michael O'Leary's quote is pretty good, especially given his capacity as a public figure for the company.

Leitner on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Who the hell flies around with big toner cartridges? And who ships them anywhere unless they are a manufacturer or retailer?

Regina Fong on
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Haha.

Michael O'Leary's quote is pretty good, especially given his capacity as a public figure for the company.

He's come up with crazy things, but I agree with him on this: It's another post-maturely closed stable door.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited November 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

That was my weekend. Got up at 7 for the rally on Saturday, then got up at 6:30 on Sunday to take a friend to the train station.

Getting up early on Sunday is the worst thing.

Kilroy on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What is the easiest, most painless way to forget a day? Because I want to forget today existed.

Tamin on
    edited November 2010
    Who the hell flies around with big toner cartridges? And who ships them anywhere unless they are a manufacturer or retailer?

Turrrrists.

Honk on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    What is the easiest, most painless way to forget a day? Because I want to forget today existed.

Alcohol. A fucking lot of alcohol.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited November 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

Gin.

Kilroy on
    edited November 2010

To reenact the most memorable scenes of Godfather III.

It shall be glorious.

I do feel kind of fancy free though - I've never booked a holiday with this little notice (4 days!) and there are worrying gaps. We are going to wing a lot of it - maybe book rooms when we get there, hope that we can hire a car without an International Driver's Permit or train/bus it. We also don't quite know where we are going once we get there.

My knowledge of the place is a mixture of the Classical, early Medieval and WW2 - so probably not a huge help for contemporary trips

Kalkino on
This discussion has been closed.