As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh jeez, I didn't even realize Moe had switched train lines for the Sonic line from last year.

Yeah, Moe, I can't really afford spending an extra $80 dollars for one hour of saved travel time, especially since we'd be too late for most of the pre-PAX going ons even with the Acela... I'm going to have to go with the 176 Northeast Regional, like last year.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    If there are this many people against the Acela, and for the NE Regional 176, I can change it. However, if I hear anybody complaining the opposite after I change it, they will receive very large frowns from me, rest assured.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just wanna say, and I'm sure I speak for everyone, that I appreciate the HELL out of what you're doing. Seriously, thanks again for making this thread happen.

We just don't want to pay for Acela. We're cheap like that :P

BigSassy on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I understand. I guess I mis-anticipated people's desire to get their earlier outweighing cost.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Name change to the Zelda Line?
    "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."

antherem on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If there are this many people against the Acela, and for the NE Regional 176, I can change it. However, if I hear anybody complaining the opposite after I change it, they will receive very large frowns from me, rest assured.

I'm a definite MAYBE for the Semi-Sonic (SubSonic?) line.

Line: Sonic-ish (NE 176)
    Name: flatline + friend(s) [2 of us so far]
    Boarding Stop: BWI
    Ticket Purchased: N

My cadre is currently trying to determine several things - namely, if we would rather fly JetBlue again and be in town in time for the dinner/pub crawl, and if we can BYOC on the train or if we'll have to ship computers/monitors regardless of plane/train. If we do take the train, we'll probably still fly JetBlue back home on Sunday to get home at a reasonable hour for work on Monday (without having to skip all of Sunday's con activities). Jetblue is like $62 per flight - faster and cheaper than the train.

I'll have several games with me (Fiasco, Mad Scientist University, Smallworld on my iPad, Munchkin, maybe a couple pre-con Magic decks) and probably some foodstuffs. I don't currently own a DS, but I've had my eye on them with the price drops recently - I was hoping to get a 3DS, but if it is really $300, that's probably not going to happen before PAX. Might pick up a DSi XL though.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    For the sake of not having to edit the map, I'm probably not going to change the name, just the train info.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    Line: Sonic
    Name: Eric Palakovich Carr
    Boarding Stop: Washington, DC

BigSassy on
    edited October 2010
    Okay, due to popular demand, the Sonic line is now the 176 NE Regional. Since nobody listed has bought their tickets yet, this shouldn't affect anybody, but if it does, getting refunds on Amtrak tickets/changing trains isn't nearly as difficult as the airlines, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Even though this is a slower train, this now gives you all more time to kick it with other PAXers and save money in the process. Also, it seems this direction is more likely to keep people together instead of running the chance of people taking different trains and being split apart.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    Since we're on the topic of price, I should mention that the 176 ticket is cheap for a reason. Amtrak started a promotion at the start of this year that certain lines get 25% off, and Northeast Regional 176 is one of them:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Content_C/1241267321301/1237405732514

You don't have to do anything to get this discount. It happens automatically if you order through the website. DO NOT say you're a AAA member, as it will replace the 25% discount with the 10% discount. The website will loudly warn you if you manage to replace the 25% with a lesser discount.

This offer has been going for 10 months now. Around this time last year (before this 25% discount) Amtrak offered a companion ticket at 50%, which essentially means 25% off for each ticket. Then sometime in December of '09 they stopped offering it, leaving tickets at full price.

They could stop offering the current 25% off at any time. They tend to change their offers at the start of the New Year, so you'll probably want to order your tickets before Christmas.

BigSassy on
  • LDJoshLDJosh Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: Josh W
    Boarding Stop: Philly
    Ticket Purchased: N (waiting for group)

LDJosh on
  • kSmashkSmash Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just a warning to those who plan to take the train in the Boston area (i.e. to get around after arriving in Boston) the commuter rail system is pretty unreliable...

I've taken it 5 days a week for the past 4 years and it has never arrived on time plus i've been in 3 train accidents( hit a motorcycle, then a car, and a dead body was found on the tracks).

So if you try to save money by staying in a hotel outside of Boston and might take the train you have been warned.

for more info about public transportation
    http://mbta.com/

kSmash on
  • Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Checking Amtrak the Smaus line's layover apears to be in NY. If you want to join the Sonic line at DC you'll have to multi-city the destination. Horay, Amtrak.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
    edited October 2010
    kSmash wrote: »
    Just a warning to those who plan to take the train in the Boston area (i.e. to get around after arriving in Boston) the commuter rail system is pretty unreliable...

I've taken it 5 days a week for the past 4 years and it has never arrived on time plus i've been in 3 train accidents( hit a motorcycle, then a car, and a dead body was found on the tracks).

So if you try to save money by staying in a hotel outside of Boston and might take the train you have been warned.

for more info about public transportation
    http://mbta.com/
    This is not the thread for public transit around boston. This is the thread for riding Amtrak to boston. The thread you should be posting this info in is this one here.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JoshuaNexonJoshuaNexon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    QUESTION!

Hello everyone, first time @ PAX. And especially on the PAX Train.

When i purchase the ticket, (Riding on Sonic Northbound from DC) do i purchase a coach or business seat? (So i get w/ other PAX'ers)

When i purchase the ticket, (Riding on Sonic) what train do i pick to ride on? ( so i get w/ other ppl )

Thanks!

JoshuaNexon on
    edited October 2010
    QUESTION!

Hello everyone, first time @ PAX. And especially on the PAX Train.

When i purchase the ticket, (Riding on Sonic Northbound from DC) do i purchase a coach or business seat? (So i get w/ other PAX'ers)

When i purchase the ticket, (Riding on Sonic) what train do i pick to ride on? ( so i get w/ other ppl )

Thanks!

Coach or business seat doesn't matter really, all the cool kids will be hanging out in the lounge. I'm guessing most people on that line will be buying coach tickets, but trains don't have assigned seats in the manner you're thinking. Business class is, I believe, a different car.

If you take a look at post 3 you'll see it refers to the "Northeast Regional 176" - "Northeast Regional" is the line and will tell you where the train starts and stops, and "176" is the train number which will tell you when the train starts and stops. So when you search for trains from DC to Boston, it will give you a list of results, and from that you want to pick the Northeast Regional 176 and that'll get you on the right train (assuming you pick the right day!)

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    Thank You very much!

JoshuaNexon on
    edited October 2010
    Business class seats do have more amenities (specifically, guaranteed outlets) but are more expensive. It will tell you all about the various classes when you go to buy a ticket.

antherem on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, due to popular demand, the Sonic line is now the 176 NE Regional. Since nobody listed has bought their tickets yet, this shouldn't affect anybody, but if it does, getting refunds on Amtrak tickets/changing trains isn't nearly as difficult as the airlines, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Even though this is a slower train, this now gives you all more time to kick it with other PAXers and save money in the process. Also, it seems this direction is more likely to keep people together instead of running the chance of people taking different trains and being split apart.

Thank you Moe! <3<3<3 Appreciate all your hard work putting this together, and for making the change. You saved me $160! :D
    antherem wrote: »
    Business class seats do have more amenities (specifically, guaranteed outlets) but are more expensive. It will tell you all about the various classes when you go to buy a ticket.

I can't recall ever lacking outlets on the Sonic Line (the Stone line last year); there are generally outlets every other row, so either there will be some right next to you or right next to the person in front of you, and you can politely ask if you may plug in your devices there. Since we're only on the train for 6 hours or so, it's not an issue.

I'd suggest coach; it's where most people will probably be. As antherem suggests, if you do want to pay extra for a super cooshy chair, you can always come back and hang out in the lounge.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited October 2010
    Sorry to ask another question, but is there an age limit for the lounge? I was informed that there will be alcohol but am not 21. Am i still alowed in the lounge?

Thanks!

JoshuaNexon on
    edited October 2010
    They sell alcohol at the snack counter, which you have to be 21 to buy, but it's not a bar, if that's what you're asking.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010

Thanks!

Hey Josh. I'll also be traveling on the Sonic line from DC. Last year we brought a Fruit Fucker flag, which we waved on the platform at each stop in front of the train we all were gaming on. You'll have the benefit of seeing the flag at the station while waiting for the train.

You can see a picture of it here: http://www.geekosystem.com/pax-east-2010-what-i-learned/

And in case you don't know, bring a DS. We play a TON of DS multiplayer on the PAX train 176 :)

BigSassy on
  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear
    Name: Dgeorge318
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH

Dgeorge318 on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Metal Gear line folks. Which return train are you planning to take or are some planning to fly back? Looks like you'd have to leave PAX early on Sunday or get a hotel room for an extra night and return on Monday.

macrogeek on
    edited October 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »
    Metal Gear line folks. Which return train are you planning to take or are some planning to fly back? Looks like you'd have to leave PAX early on Sunday or get a hotel room for an extra night and return on Monday.

Oh, right, I was going to post about this very question. Yeah, no way I'm leaving PAX early, I'm either leaving on the Lake Shore Limited on Monday morning or flying back on Sunday night. Most likely the train so I don't have to deal with luggage restrictions/cabbing from the airport to the Amtrak station/driving an hour home at midnight after 3 days of PAX.

I'm wondering if this deserves its own thread?

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    I'm leaning towards flying back unless there are a ton of ETA'ers on the same train back. If you don't need a hotel room Sunday night, it offsets much of the cost of the return flight. I figure try to fly out late Sunday if possible.

macrogeek on
  • ValkerionValkerion Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Thinking about taking the train.

Star Fox Line from Savannah, GA then onto the Sonic Line to Boston. Not sure yet though ^.^

Valkerion on
  • AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm also thinking about taking the train.

I'm curious about how the trip back works. Is there any organization going on for the trip home?

Also, what sort of transportation options are available from the train station to the convention center, or the hotels?

Probably me and 2+ friends hopping on the Metal Gear Line at Buffalo, NY.

I'm also more of a Table Top RPG gamer, rather than hand-held video gamer. Will there be games happening on the train that I'd be interested in?

AsmodeusLore on
    edited October 2010
    I'm also thinking about taking the train.

I'm curious about how the trip back works. Is there any organization going on for the trip home?

Also, what sort of transportation options are available from the train station to the convention center, or the hotels?

Probably me and 2+ friends hopping on the Metal Gear Line at Buffalo, NY.

I'm also more of a Table Top RPG gamer, rather than hand-held video gamer. Will there be games happening on the train that I'd be interested in?

I'm planning on taking the train back, I think Moe was as well. Should we have a return trip train thread? Great to hear of more folks planning on getting on Metal Gear, should be a good time.

I imagine there will be a great caravan of people walking from South Station to the Westin and environs.

And I certainly hope for tabletop games on the train!

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    Another thread would be unnecessary, as we're still talking about the train. Different people leave PAX on different days, and a handful from further out might fly home. There's less organization of the way back for that reason. It's safe to assume that you'll see a number of familiar faces for the ride home.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Count me in for the Sonic line, unless I move for whatever reason. Have not purchased train tickets yet, but I would be boarding in NY.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
    edited October 2010
    Please use the following format to indicate your status:

What line you will be on:
    Name:
    Ticket Purchased:

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unfortunately, due to our return schedule, we can't do this trip via train. Take Wingedillidan and company off the list, sadly :(. Maybe next year.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited October 2010
    Well, I bought mine! You can update my profile under the Sonic Line. I'll be taking the 67 Northeast Regional back on Sunday night. Leaves at 9:30pm from Back Bay and arrives back in Washington DC at 6:50am on Monday.

BigSassy on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This idea sounds epic and there's no way I'm missing the trip this go round.

What line you will be on: The Lemmings Line
    Name: Rob Carson
    Boarding Stop: Flagstaff, AZ
    Ticket Purchased: Not yet

I havent purchased my ticket yet since someone stole my debit card and I'm waiting for my work to approve my time off. Ill probably still get the ticket ahead anyway of time since Amtrak is pretty cool if you need to cancel a reservation.

I may try and drag a few other people with me as well so update as soon as I know anything. Other than that WOOT PAX TRAIN!

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited October 2010
    I added the first few stops of Metal Gear Line (near my neck of the woods) to the travel map: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=130830

Maybe someone will find the train in their area and link back to the info here on the forums.

macrogeek on
  • SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a Enforcer friend who was asking me about the train I was taking. When I told her, she got the biggest grin on her face and told me I was in for a lot of fun, then linked me here.

So uh.

What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: SpyPoet/Shawnda
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, Ohio
    Ticket Purchased: Not Yet

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
    edited November 2010
    Woo, another Cleveland boarder!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Y'all be nice to her. It's Spypoet's first PAX.

Zuki on
  • SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo, another Cleveland boarder!

Yupyup. Is it true that all the other lines are getting on the Metal Gear unlimited, cause I'm worried I might not bring enough chocolate for everyone.
    Zuki wrote: »
    Y'all be nice to her. It's Spypoet's first PAX.

Hey! I can take care of myself.

Maybe.

okay probably not

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
This discussion has been closed.