Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

12357101

Posts

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I've already done that. I've already pitched them the idea of a white list that'd be maintained by them because we're a healthcare clinic so there isn't really much use for the internet other than drug information which wikipedia and various health sites are perfect for.

    Other than that they should be, you know, doing their job.

    Of course I'm on a different vlan than the rest of them so I wouldn't be affected but then again I'm not going to youtube and download porn (yes this was a thing) or playing fantasy football.

  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    The worst thing to come into work with on Monday is some one freaking out that they lost an important file. Okay that will be easy I'll just restore from the backup. 9 time out of 10 though the user saved it on their hard drive and not the 10 millon network drives we provide them.

    Cut to going over to their computer and opening up "My Computer"....."What are all these letter things I have never seen these before!?"....

    Guy has 5 gigs of documents on his C drive. Sometimes I wonder how people do their jobs and have no idea how to work with documents in the network drives......D:

    Are they desktop computers?

    Redirect their My Documents and Desktop to the server. You can do this with a roaming profile, or you can do this with the User Shell Folders registry key. (I prefer the regkey. It's a little harder to manage, but performance is a lot better.)

    Yes, that means you're going to be wasting storage on people's iTunes Music folders and crap like that, but storage is cheap. Just add iTunes and iPhone related strings to the exception list in the backup.

    If they're laptops... that's a little harder. One free and easy solution that I've made work well is to remove the "My Documents" icon from the desktop and replace it with a shortcut that says "Laptop Documents." Then I'll also add a shortcut right next to it that says "Server Documents." Then when I give the user the laptop I impress upon them that the laptop documents are on the laptop and the server documents are on the server.

    The vast majority of users get the message.

    There are technical ways of solving the problem too but I've never found one I've really loved. I prefer just strong user education and constant reinforcement.

    I think I may actually try this. Thankfully we don't allow itunes here so no need to worry about that.

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Background:
    We have an automatic fax system that takes faxed documents and turns them into a PDF and imports them into our paperless system. (This actually saves enough money in paper/toner/equipment to pay for my salary, no joke) This system isn't amazing and able to do everything, but it works and has worked for half a decade pretty decently. However once in a great blue moon we get faxes that just can't be answered because hey, that's the nature of faxes. Sometimes calls get interrupted, sometimes the other end doesn't implement the protocol properly, whatever.

    Today:
    "So yeah we're getting faxes that are blank or have black lines and are just hanging out in limbo."
    "Yeah, so?"
    "Well we need them."
    "There's nothing I can do about them, I can't magically make our fax machine call them back and go "hey you guys sent us something and we need it, resend it please.""
    "Well you should, that's why it's automated so I Don't have to watch it."
    "Well I can't, nothing has changed in the half a year you've been working here."

    It's gotten to the point now where I'm getting very cynical about stupid shit. Every year or so we end up getting these secretaries that after half a year of working here just turn into these amazing douchenozzles and won't do anything and basically rely on me.

    "Well I don't know what to do anymore then."
    "Do what you've been doing for the past half a year, I can't fix other people's issues, bye."

    $10 says I'll get chewed out for that, but the boss absolutely loves me. This place runs almost like a well oiled machine so a secretary getting butt hurt over 3-4 faxes a week not getting transferred correctly is low shit to him. Thank god.

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    The worst thing to come into work with on Monday is some one freaking out that they lost an important file. Okay that will be easy I'll just restore from the backup. 9 time out of 10 though the user saved it on their hard drive and not the 10 millon network drives we provide them.

    Cut to going over to their computer and opening up "My Computer"....."What are all these letter things I have never seen these before!?"....

    Guy has 5 gigs of documents on his C drive. Sometimes I wonder how people do their jobs and have no idea how to work with documents in the network drives......D:

    I think Feral hit the nail on the head. Folder Redirection and desktop shortcuts leave much less room for silliness on the user's part.

    Although I had a call earlier today where a guy's "documents all disappeared after that power outage!"

    He'd managed to delete his desktop shortcut ._.

    eokNV.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    Fax machine stuff is always funny.

    "We can't get our faxes on our network printer/fax converter emailer thing."

    Well I just checked the interface and you guys are getting data through just fine. Put in a ticket with PC support, but chances are you'll have to get management to call Xerox.

    "But... but out faxes."

    Not a problem I can fix. Sorry.

    "But you're IT!"

    No ma'am. I'm administration. *tips hat, rides off into sunset*.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love those.

    "Yeah we're not getting faxes."

    I pick up the phone and dial the number for our fax line with speakerphone. I wait, suddenly the room fills with the noise of the faxmachine picking up. "Looks like it's working fine to me, maybe, you know, the people bitching are bitching about a busy signal because we get faxes all day long?"

    "Yeah but they're tired of waiting."

    "Well tell them to get a better fax machine."

  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Background:
    We have an automatic fax system that takes faxed documents and turns them into a PDF and imports them into our paperless system. (This actually saves enough money in paper/toner/equipment to pay for my salary, no joke) This system isn't amazing and able to do everything, but it works and has worked for half a decade pretty decently. However once in a great blue moon we get faxes that just can't be answered because hey, that's the nature of faxes. Sometimes calls get interrupted, sometimes the other end doesn't implement the protocol properly, whatever.

    I tried that over here for a couple of months and then was told by upper management to switch it back to non-paperless due to the that specific issue. People got all upset that their faxes wouldn't appear when it usually was the person who sent it who had the issue. Plus they would receive the fax in PDF and then turnaround and print it out so that they could use it while billing.

    The good news is that we're looking into a huge automation upgrade that would cut out why we get so many faxes.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    "Well you should, that's why it's automated so I Don't have to watch it."
    "Well I can't, nothing has changed in the half a year you've been working here."

    This is where I go:

    "Okay, let me check it out for you."

    *go get a diet coke*
    *check email*
    *change backup tape*
    *chat with cute admin*
    ...

    Then I call the user back. "Hey, I checked out the fax server. There's nothing wrong on our end. Looks like it's a problem with the fax machine the sender's using. Maybe you can call them up and ask them if there's a different machine they can use."

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The main downer of my job is that there is no 'cute admin', only 'neckbeardy Linux guru' :(

    eokNV.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Which I guess makes me cute admin by default, now that I think about it 8-)

    eokNV.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or the "other neckbeardy Linux guru"

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    The main downer of my job is that there is no 'cute admin', only 'neckbeardy Linux guru' :(

    There's a MILF that's always flirting with me and my fellow admin.

    You could chat her up. We're only vaguely interested.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thankfully, faxing is one of the least headache inducing aspects of my job. We basically have 2 fax machines, one up front, and one back near me in the parts department. The front one during business hours transfers the incoming faxes as PDFs to one of the secretaries computers. The parts one can't receive faxes. We have no idea why. It has something to do with the phone line. They spent about 2 months fighting it having the phone company checking it out, testing faxing between the two etc. Nobody could figure out why. So the phone company just transferred incoming stuff on that number to the other machine. And the best part is I hardly had to deal with any of it :)

    Though I did a call a couple weeks ago after I put in a little MFP behind someone's desk and a couple days later I got a call from the lady next to him.
    "Why doesn't faxing from this printer work?"
    "It's not set up for it?"
    "Oh. Can you do that?"
    "Nope"
    "Why not?"
    "Cause there's no phone connection over there. And you have a perfectly fax machine just around the corner."

    steam_sig.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate physical fax machines.

    eFax all the way... unless we actually need faxes to be automatically processed by a document management server, in which case, Zetafax all the way.

    Maybe hook up a fax line to the copy machine if somebody really needs to fax handwritten bullshit more than once a year.

    Little one-off crappy fax machines with their little one-off crappy analog phone lines suck.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If some halfwit really needs to send hand-written faxes around here, they have three options; go figure out the ancient fax hooked into the only non-VoIP line in the basement (the light switch is at the bottom of the stairs), scan it in on one of the many scanners lying around and e-fax it (or just frikken e-mail it; "wait, I can do that?") or they can ask their manager how much departmental budget they can spare towards getting the integrated fax option installed on the copiers next time Xerox send their sales guy 'round.

    And unless the fax machine actually breaks (like, pops a rubber band or something) it's not getting replaced. Or moved out of the basement.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've never gotten some people's obsession with faxes. There is the occasional off chance that a company run by one of these cretins only allows forms to be sent in via fax if you can't submit them in person but other than that masonite bullshit I really don't get it.

    Fucking email. My parents have figured out email. They grew up in farm country in communist post-war Poland, which is practically indistinguishable from the western world circa 1800. If they can cross a 100+ year technological gap, you can cross a 20 year old one.

    Mythbusters once cut a car in half and drove around in it to see if it would run. Even they were less poorly conveyed.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Butbut faxes are real! You can actually see the bit of paper going in one end and coming out of the other! Anyone could write an e-mail!

    Also; protip: Don't give staff access-level school network accounts to the fifty-year-old French teacher who still hasn't figured out that there are two types of pens that work on whiteboards and one of them is a bad idea. The kids will find out the default password and have their way with the account.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Butbut faxes are real! You can actually see the bit of paper going in one end and coming out of the other! Anyone could write an e-mail!

    Also; protip: Don't give staff access-level school network accounts to the fifty-year-old French teacher who still hasn't figured out that there are two types of pens that work on whiteboards and one of them is a bad idea. The kids will find out the default password and have their way with the account.

    Shouldn't you be assigning random passwords that they can then change?

    The Company: The CYOA game that anybody can join at any time - running now!
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I hate physical fax machines.

    eFax all the way... unless we actually need faxes to be automatically processed by a document management server, in which case, Zetafax all the way.

    Maybe hook up a fax line to the copy machine if somebody really needs to fax handwritten bullshit more than once a year.

    Little one-off crappy fax machines with their little one-off crappy analog phone lines suck.

    Why bother with Zetafax if you're paying for eFax? You can write a processor application to pull data from a email or web service just as easily as from a directory where Zetafax prints a tiff image.

    Though Zetafax is the fucking bees knees atm just because of the price difference between them. After 3 months we've already bought 3 Zetafax server licenses with how many faxes we get. Their client is absolutely crap though.

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shouldn't you be assigning random passwords that they can then change?
    Me? Oh no, that would have been counter-productive; I was one of the students at the time. :P

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I worked in IT for 8 years but quit the industry last summer to go back to school. I swore I would never do anything related to IT ever again; even to the point of threatening my wife that she'd have to cut off my hands before I ever worked with technology for a living again.

    And yet, here I am, reading this thread. It's not like schadenfreude; I honestly feel sorry for everyone in here that has to deal with retarded users.

    Ugh.

    Anyway, my favorite line was, "Here, let me Google that for you," especially for things that were completely out of my jurisdiction/department.

    "Hey, what's the phone number for x company?"

    "I don't know, I'm not the operator."

    "Well, do you think you could maybe find out?"

    "Sure, let me Google that for you."

    "Thanks!"

    I was never busted for it either; every user thought I was just being helpful.

    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd just have said "No I don't think I could find out for you, maybe you can look it up online"

  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have never really understood the animosity many IT people have for users. If every user did everything exactly right I wouldn't have a job. I get paid to deal with the computer handicapped.

    Sure, I seethe on the inside if they are intentionally retarded, but I can still deal with them professionally.

    The list never changes: http://www.infinitebacklog.com
    Chamberlain.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess you've never been asked to fix analog phone lines or figure out why a copy machine is broken when you deal with servers and PCs.

  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My animosity comes from having never worked in a company where the users actually tried to understand the limitations the IT department had to work under.

    Like, I get that not every user is going to know how to do everything. That's why we're here.

    However, I got frustrated when I'd get pulled in to a user shit storm over something that I/my department had no control over because of the company's management. When it's a large company you can just say, "Look, I understand your frustration, but we can't do anything about this because we don't make that decision," and the user will generally be all right with it.

    My experience has always been with small companies, where the user knows that we can't do anything about it and still throws a shit fit about whatever the problem is.

    My other source of animosity for users is when they tried to get me to do their work for them. No, it's not a big deal for me to look up a phone number, but when I'm required to do it because we're so focused on customer service, the user knows they can get away with it every time. That directly leads to me and my team having to do other peoples' work because of that precedent.

    Also, I hate users because I'm an asshole. So there's that.

    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate it when I show users something and they refuse to learn it. Like, ending a process that's obviously frozen and crashed. I've showed you 8 times, I've had it write it down this 9th time, and I gave you the okay to go ahead and kill it the next time it happens. But I guaruntee you you'll call me the 10th time to go do it. You know I'm pretty busy and I can't actually get any work done when there's 25 calls in the span of 3 hours all about the same fucking issue.

    Or, fixing a printer problem that was the result of an empty paper tray. Yeah that was the last time I did that. I walked out there, looked at the error message "OUT OF PAPER" on the display of the printer and pull out the tray and threw it on their desk and said, "That's why your printer isn't printing."

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    "I learned how to use a Fax machine in the 90s and ILL BE DAMNED IF I LEARN TO USE ANYTHING ELSE"

    QlBGc.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've gone as far as building a scanner interface so that they can put a document in a scanner, open up the program, type a fax number, have it scan in and it pretends it's sending a fax through it. It basically just scans the document and puts the data into Zetafax's outbox.

  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    I've never gotten some people's obsession with faxes. There is the occasional off chance that a company run by one of these cretins only allows forms to be sent in via fax if you can't submit them in person but other than that masonite bullshit I really don't get it.

    Fucking email. My parents have figured out email. They grew up in farm country in communist post-war Poland, which is practically indistinguishable from the western world circa 1800. If they can cross a 100+ year technological gap, you can cross a 20 year old one.

    try dealing with the medical industry. email? web forms? no, but we can fax it over....

    /this will change
    //obama's gonna make you join the 21st century

  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I hate it when I show users something and they refuse to learn it. Like, ending a process that's obviously frozen and crashed. I've showed you 8 times, I've had it write it down this 9th time, and I gave you the okay to go ahead and kill it the next time it happens. But I guaruntee you you'll call me the 10th time to go do it. You know I'm pretty busy and I can't actually get any work done when there's 25 calls in the span of 3 hours all about the same fucking issue.

    Or, fixing a printer problem that was the result of an empty paper tray. Yeah that was the last time I did that. I walked out there, looked at the error message "OUT OF PAPER" on the display of the printer and pull out the tray and threw it on their desk and said, "That's why your printer isn't printing."

    You need to read BOFH.

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Annnnd there goes my week.

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So my shop is pretty small. I was brought on to handle all the break-fix and general upkeep stuff, to free up my boss and our senior tech to do all the important jazz with the VMs and tricky linux servers. The senior tech is a real whiz, and his skillset is definitely beyond that of the owner.

    He just quit/was fired today.

    Gonna be a long goddamn couple of weeks.

    eokNV.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was he in a position where he was definitely doing 3 jobs within his workweek?

  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I hate physical fax machines.

    eFax all the way... unless we actually need faxes to be automatically processed by a document management server, in which case, Zetafax all the way.

    Maybe hook up a fax line to the copy machine if somebody really needs to fax handwritten bullshit more than once a year.

    Little one-off crappy fax machines with their little one-off crappy analog phone lines suck.

    Why bother with Zetafax if you're paying for eFax? You can write a processor application to pull data from a email or web service just as easily as from a directory where Zetafax prints a tiff image.

    Though Zetafax is the fucking bees knees atm just because of the price difference between them. After 3 months we've already bought 3 Zetafax server licenses with how many faxes we get. Their client is absolutely crap though.

    I support multiple companies. Most of them are fine with eFax. We only use Zetafax when we need supported integration with records management platforms.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So my shop is pretty small. I was brought on to handle all the break-fix and general upkeep stuff, to free up my boss and our senior tech to do all the important jazz with the VMs and tricky linux servers. The senior tech is a real whiz, and his skillset is definitely beyond that of the owner.

    He just quit/was fired today.

    Gonna be a long goddamn couple of weeks.

    Dude, that sucks. :(

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Welp, I have had one of those days that make me think twice about getting a career in IT.

    I work in local goverment IT for a small town in Colorado for the city IT department. The county IT came in about 3 weeks ago and set up the voting stuff for the election today. I gave them a block of 11 IP addresses to bypass our network and go right to the Internet for them to check people off coming in to vote.

    Cue to today. There is a line an hour long out the door. All the counties laptops are locking up and timing out. I'm getting yelled at by the head of IT for the county that the computers are locking up. There is a county IT guy there thatnhas been sitting around the entire day and doesn't know at all what the problem is or what he is doing. I finally got on the router console and switched the port over to a outside comcast network we have for testing and downloading large files.

    Now I had confirmed with myselve that the comcast connection was up and running. I told the county IT guy to switch the 5 laptops they had to DHCP off static. As I watch him do this I see that each computer has the same static IP address from the 11 I gave them original. All the computers were running the same IP address....................

    So the computers come back up, and they cheer the county guy for fixing all their problems :x

    This is after the election judge came up to me and said "I hope you know that the democrat and republican people here are judge this towns problems today because of you."

    I'm going home to drink my brain into oblivion.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Welp, I have had one of those days that make me think twice about getting a career in IT.

    All the computers were running the same IP address....................

    Holy shit WTF. Did he not see the popup you get when that happens?

    steam_sig.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like the dude on the ground was completely incompetent.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Welp, I have had one of those days that make me think twice about getting a career in IT.

    All the computers were running the same IP address....................

    Holy shit WTF. Did he not see the popup you get when that happens?

    Wow. That's unbelievable.

    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would've said "Well maybe someone from the independent party with brains will get elected so they can hire a proper county IT."

    But I'm a dick.

This discussion has been closed.