As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chest Cold

InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I know this is a "Go to the doctor" question, but since yesterday afternoon I have had a strange sensation in my chest. It almost right in the middle of my chest. It's an intermittent squeezing pain (it doesn't feel like it's my heart just in the area near it). I've also had a cold feeling in the same area. It feels what I imagine one of those freezable gel packs would feel like if it was opened and poured into my chest.

If it doesn't clear up over the weekend, I'm going to a doctor, but I was hoping to get some idea of what it might be.

Invisible on

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The cold feeling I have no idea, but ribcage and chest pain can be a lot of things. Pleurisy and an inflamed sternum can, from experience, both cause that kind of squeezy tight pain feeling. Go to the doctor and if it gets worse - which if it's pleurisy it can, very quickly, go from annoying to so bad you can't stop crying - go to urgent care or the ER.

cabsy on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is not a chest cold. I'd at least call your doctor today, they should have someone on call that you can talk to.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Intermediate squeezing chest pain doesn't indicate a chest cold, buddy.

Does it get worse with exercise? Any changes in breathing? Shortness of breath? Pain on deep inhalation and exhalation? Any visual changes? Numbness in the extremities?

Note, regardless of how you answer these questions you still need to go to the ER to get your cardiac work up, which is exactly what I tell my patients.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not constant and at the moment its not really that bad. No other symptoms, though I had lower back pain a few days before hand (I guess more accurate would be the kidney region), but that's stopped.

Normally I'd just ask my mom since she's a nurse, but she's out of the country. I'll just try to call my doctor on Monday. I'd rather not get stuck with a hefty hospital bill since my insurance sucks and have it turn out to be something minor. I know, I know, what if it's serious. Plus I have to work tomorrow, it's not really option at the moment not to.

It doesn't really matter what I do, I haven't done any exercise in the past few days so I'm not sure if it gets worse or not.

Invisible on