As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Replacing a PS3's BR drive

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
Here's the deal:

I have a release model 60GB PS3 with the PS2 Emotion Engine chip built in, I don't want to get rid of this model. I like my PS2 BC being on hardware.

That said, my two year old decided to stick two (or more?) discs in the drive slot, and now it won't eject what ever is in there. I am going to be taking the unit apart this weekend to see if I can't jimmy the discs out of the drive, but if I can't: Has anyone ever replaced the BR drive in their PS3? Does anyone know of a place I can order a new one?

I am way out of warranty, so I am not worried about voiding anything by popping open the case.

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    dont jimmy to much.

Probably just have the disk wedging against the back of the tray and the relative front of the housing.

Did you try giving it a GENTLE shake front to back with it closed, and trying to open it?

Buttcleft on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't taken the shell of the case off yet, but yes, I tried to give it a gentle shake to see if I could get the second disc loose. I think if I can get a small, flat, piece of metal in there, I can compress the top disc enough to have it spit it out, but we'll see. I'll be performing the surgery this weekend.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As someone who's taken a 60GB apart, I strongly urge you to fully document what screw came out of where. As in schemes, schematics and blueprints on file. I swear some Sony engineer took two handfuls out of the random screw bin and handed them to the designers saying, "Use all of them; and in a completely random, nonsensical order."

Other than that, it's cake. If you need to, you can take the drive apart (without destroying it), I would think it's put together the same as any optical drive in the last 10 years; remove 4 screws and take the top off...

And while you're at it, take some compressed air to that monster fan on the bottom.

Full tear down instructions here.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    you should be able to use a thin piece of metal and wedge it between the middle of the disc and the thingymabob that clasps onto it from the top. This should pop it off the disc so it's not grabbing them from the top and bottom anymore, then you can just slowly pull them out.

FyreWulff on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My 2 year old shoved THREE DVDs into our Wii which has a similar slot drive. With a good pair of tweezers I was able to pull the disks out without having to open up the unit.

Amazingly, the Wii worked just fine after that.

Just saying'

Rothgarr on
  • BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My two year old did the same thing to my Wii. I pulled them out with a pair of foreceps. Wii still works.

Beazle on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I doubt you'd be able to shake them out, but I don't think the tweezers idea is a bad one. If they're stuck in deep, though, you won't be able to reach past the outer case.

I want to say you should be able to if you separate the outer case from the drive itself (or is there a permanently attached 'lid'?). I don't know. I know I'd be doing the exact same thing as you, though, if my 80GB encountered a 2-year-old with 2 discs.

Synthesis on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't get the job done this weekend, all I've done is taken the PS3's outer shell off. The drive comes out easily enough, so if I can buy the new drive (and with the wonder that is the internet, I am sure I can), I know I can fix the system. But first, I am going to try and get the discs out. That is a job for tonight while I am watching Monday Night Football.

GnomeTank on
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty sure that each system has the drive linked to the motherboard (iirc through encrypted controller), so the only thing you could use from a replacement drive is the mechanism.

Good luck.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png