As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Judiciary (The Best Branch of Government(tm)) ft. Videogames & the 1st Amendment

124»

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think you need to subscribe to a Living Document interpretation to get to the conclusion that the concepts behind the original language leads to broader results than were originally conceived by the people who wrote the language

for instance, I would argue the people who penned and ratified the Fourth obviously didn't have telephone calls in mind but, were you to explain the telephone to them they would probably say you need a warrant to tap someone's home phone

MrMonroe on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The transcript of the argument was an amazing read, and I found the arguments that the supreme court posed were extremely interesting to the outcome of the case.

But I kept getting pissed when they brought up that games weren't considered with worth artistically wise even though movies are. I don't understand that point of view much.

During certain bits they directly compared movies with this sort of content to games, though

Straight up going "hey so if this goes through, you gonna ban movies too"

I thought that was nice

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    Bans on gay marriage are constitutional

I've done a lot of thinking about this and I have to disagree

To be fair, I subscribe to the Constitution is a living document viewpoint

and also am usually in favor in the greatest freedom for the greatest number of people

edit: I'm not trying to say "you hate freedom!!" or anything

also I'm not sure if you're stating an opinion or just the current state of the law

Current state of law

Also you didn't state "state bans" or "religious bans"

And textualists still go "what did the framers think of X" because even the most strictual textualist isn't going to hurp durp the language of a century old document says X soooooo

They do not go very far past that (or say they don't)

Zen Vulgarity on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I've done a lot of thinking about this and I have to disagree

To be fair, I subscribe to the Constitution is a living document viewpoint

and also am usually in favor in the greatest freedom for the greatest number of people

edit: I'm not trying to say "you hate freedom!!" or anything

also I'm not sure if you're stating an opinion or just the current state of the law

returnofthelivingconsti.jpg

JoeUser on
  • BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I think it's up to the parents

And the market

And industry self-regulation

Government shouldn't be involved

(except in limited cases like broadcasts where you can't stop invisible waves from getting into your house; or the government can require parental controls on things but shouldn't be making content decisions)
    Precisely, except on the government mandating parental controls. Parents have a responsibility to care for their own kids. The government isn't there to be a parent.

Lord knows the government is involved in too much stuff as it is.

BigWillieStyles on
    3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yo dogg this thread is four years old

CYpGAPn.png
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i read through two pages of this shit before noticing the date!

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Heh.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Geth close thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Whipstitch Zombie. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.