As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DEAD THREAD] Caves of Phalla

12345679»

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    I wish there was more activity, I thought the ruleset and mechanics for this game were very well prepared.

I think there was some insta-network potential. Night one, 1 minute before vote close: Knife holder says "X dies by knife." Day 2, "Contact me as items start with humans, I used the knife last night, I must be human."

Rocks fall and death to the monsters.

Ugh. Even if I'd thought of that strategy I wouldn't've used it; I've developed a healthy dislike for insta-networks.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    Ardor wrote: »
    I wish there was more activity, I thought the ruleset and mechanics for this game were very well prepared.

I think there was some insta-network potential. Night one, 1 minute before vote close: Knife holder says "X dies by knife." Day 2, "Contact me as items start with humans, I used the knife last night, I must be human."

Rocks fall and death to the monsters.

Ugh. Even if I'd thought of that strategy I wouldn't've used it; I've developed a healthy dislike for insta-networks.

Oh yes. It'd leave me town between doing what's best for my team and doing what I think is best for the game. The reason I'm pointing it out is because this is exactly why I'm in favor of closed rules. If we had no proof items started with humans then the plan would be impossible.

Of course, here I say I like closed rules while I'm also going to say that I think Spectre's kill conditions were too powerful. The retributive death for targetting combined with the anchors would've been fine, but the having to target him afterwards struck me as excessive. Wouldn't be bad if the rules were open, I think it's too much with the rules closed.

(Do not interpret as saying Spectre did less than a fantastic job, he really did.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Remember, I was on my own and the whole retribution thing would happen one time and then I would be found out, not to be attacked again until they were sure I could be killed. I only had 2 anchors, one of which was killed on day one.

I think that it was damn lucky that I ended up winning.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Remember, I was on my own and the whole retribution thing would happen one time and then I would be found out, not to be attacked again until they were sure I could be killed. I only had 2 anchors, one of which was killed on day one.

Are you saying with an anchor alive and your were targeted a second time nothing special would happen?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Are you saying with an anchor alive and your were targeted a second time nothing special would happen?
    No, but why would I have been targeted a second time?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That was my point. Once you're outed, provided you have an anchor alive, I just don't see you being targeted a second time. Deaths a quick way to say "Learn quick, bitches!"

With blind rules I think that's a bit much. I think either all anchors automatically kills you or a more definite outing once all the anchors being dead would have been fine.

Still, gg evil ghost man.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That was my point. Once you're outed, provided you have an anchor alive, I just don't see you being targeted a second time. Deaths a quick way to say "Learn quick, bitches!"

With blind rules I think that's a bit much. I think either all anchors automatically kills you or a more definite outing once all the anchors being dead would have been fine.

Still, gg evil ghost man.
    The thing was though, I probably would have been targeted and killed had I not lied and said that Saburbia was my final link and I didn't have to be targeted to die.

I would've targeted me after 2 soul links had died. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yea, and you'd be absolutely stupid to come out and say "Oh, well I guess I can be targetted now."

I'm shocked nobody started asking questions when you said you were targeting your last soul link. I was raising a ruckus in the dead thread about it and then it turns out you were just genocidal...

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I didn't want the wraith to die when its last link went away because I think that would make it incredibly difficult for the wraith to win.

The retaliation did have the effect of scaring people away from targeting him, and it may have been a little too powerful, but he had the most difficult win condition of anyone in the game.

It's very difficult to balance a single-entity faction that has to kill every other player to win. Even if TehSpectre's death conditions made it a little difficult to kill him, he still played an incredible game.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Even a clearer note in the narration would have been good. I don't much think anybody was that interested in targeting him the last night (because of his awesomeness) so I don't even know if it would have changed anything. I suppose Sab might have since he knew for sure he was dying.

DevoutlyApathetic on