As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Platforming games?

2»

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, if you like Super Meat Boy, IWBTG is right up your alley.
    Dirty lies.
    What?
    Yeah, there's more trial and error involved in IWBTG but it's still some pretty brutally hard platforming, even when you know what to do. My LP was my second playthrough and the death toll was still in the thousands.
    Exactly. I can see why someone who liked IWTBTG would like SMB, but the other way isn't true at all.

Glal on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ehhh. They're similar enough. Basically if you can 100% Super Meat Boy, your tolerance for frustration is high enough that the (often humorous) instant deathtraps in IWBTG aren't going to turn you off from it.

joshofalltrades on
    edited November 2010
    I really don't think a majority of people who like SMB will 100% it. In fact, I doubt more than a percentile will. :P

Glal on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Short flash game where you turn invisible and eat werewolves
    Vox Populi Vox Dei

rRootagea on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have to agree with Spelunky and VVVVVV. Both are awesome and pretty hard. Spelunky is free and VVVVVV is only 5 bucks and totally worth it.

I also really like Jazz Jackrabbit. It was Cliffy B's first game (The Gears of War guy if anyone doesn't know). Unfortunately you can't buy it digitally from anywhere yet. I have no idea why gog.com or steam can't pick it up.
    AaronKI wrote: »
    http://nifflas.ni2.se/

Here you go. Within A Deep Forest, Knytt and Knytt stories are all brilliant, not tried the rest.

Saira is pretty good, cheap, and on Steam. It has a few myst-like puzzles, though.

lyle04.png

Lyle in Cube Sector is one of my favorites. The screenshots don't really do it justice. It's a metroid-type platformer with ability upgrades that has a little bit of Rescue Rangers and Super Mario Bros 2 in it.

That Lyle in Cube Sector game looks so wacky, I have to try it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh yeah. You can get a bundle with most of the Commander Keen games on Steam for a few bucks. They might be a tiny bit dated, but they're still pretty fun.

I wish Steam would pick up Duke Nukem 1 and 2.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dirty lies.
    What?
    Yeah, there's more trial and error involved in IWBTG but it's still some pretty brutally hard platforming, even when you know what to do. My LP was my second playthrough and the death toll was still in the thousands.
    Exactly. I can see why someone who liked IWTBTG would like SMB, but the other way isn't true at all.

In a bit of a rush, so will check the rest of the replies soon (cheers folks) but just quickly, I LOVE IWBTG.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Oh yeah. You can get a bundle with most of the Commander Keen games on Steam for a few bucks. They might be a tiny bit dated, but they're still pretty fun.

I wish Steam would pick up Duke Nukem 1 and 2.

Oh man I completely forgot about Commander Keen. Shareware at its finest.

subedii on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has anyone ever played Super Crate Box?

http://www.supercratebox.com/

I learned about it from Notch's blog, and tried it out and it's really fun.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you can find them, rayman 2 and 3 are quite charming and well designed 3d platformers, with amazingly beautiful and imaginative levels. I have no idea whatsoever where they are though.

Lalabox on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rayman 2 only support digital controls on the PC. It's from the era of "almost all console ports for the PC are shit"

LewieP on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have the Prince of Persia games been mentioned? Because they should have.

Big Classy on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ooh, ooh, here you go, play all of these!

http://mattmakesgames.com/games.php

Specifically An Untitled Story.

Also, Fantasy of the Sord! Jayisgames has many great platformers in its catalogue.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Three pages and La-Mulana hasn't been mentioned? A travesty. La-Mulana is freaking awesome.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seiklus is another one of those minimalistic classics. Not the most polished game but it's still fun.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are we not allowed to mention La-Mulana?

G0D on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lewie, by digital, do you mean kbam? Because I played the whole thing with one of these:

200px-Logitech-gamepad.JPG

(Maybe not exactly that one, but it was a usb logitech gamepad) And it was pretty great.

Lalabox on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seiklus is another one of those minimalistic classics. Not the most polished game but it's still fun.

I really loved Seiklus. There's something just so relaxing about it, all you're doing is exploring this little world, trying to get back home.

subedii on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Lewie, by digital, do you mean kbam? Because I played the whole thing with one of these:

snip

(Maybe not exactly that one, but it was a usb logitech gamepad) And it was pretty great.

I mean digital as in not analogue. It wouldn't let me control it with an analogue controller.

Edit: Or indeed KBAM, it didn't recognise the mouse. You could only use the keyboard.

LewieP on
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Dirty lies.
    What?
    In a bit of a rush, so will check the rest of the replies soon (cheers folks) but just quickly, I LOVE IWBTG.
    Fine, be that way.
    ;-)

Glal on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're going to play Knytt, then you have to try Uncle Sporky's Don't Eat the Mushroom.

On a different note, isn't La Mulana nigh impossible to beat without a guide? I tried it because Guides Are For Pussies, and continuously died and never had any goddamn clue as to whether or not I was making any progress.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're going to play Knytt, then you have to try Uncle Sporky's Don't Eat the Mushroom.

On a different note, isn't La Mulana nigh impossible to beat without a guide? I tried it because Guides Are For Pussies, and continuously died and never had any goddamn clue as to whether or not I was making any progress.

Well, yeah, kinda. But even with a guide you'll still have scads of fun with it. And probably die a bunch too!

G0D on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spelunky?

Knytt comes heavily recommended, as does N, there's tons of great stuff out there.

Just check out Indiegames.com, they have a ton of solid stuff out on a regular basis.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I really think you should because the gameplay is leaps and bounds better. A film only really has story going for it but AC2 is SUPER fun even without the story.

Although I thought the story was better than AC1.

Because Dhalphir is a bully I picked up Assassin's Creed 2 on the PS3 today. My 360 pad/pc receiver SHOULD (at long last) be waiting at home for me today too so I'm hoping to be able to try many of the other fine free/not-so-free games you've all suggested.

Thanks again, I've got plenty to go at here.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would like to take a moment to say that Super Crate Box is really hard. It's fun though.

Thanks for your time.

Drake on