Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Italian Rapier [Chat]

14849505153

Posts

  • WashWash Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why are we still talking about this anyway, _J_ already brought up Hume

    08owef8ecd0o.jpg

  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I would love for everyone to expound on the issue because I don't understand the argument.

    as in I don't get what either side is saying.

    Men say women are emotional then say reason is the ultimate power in the universe because it is all about being rational and unemotional thus it opresses women.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I feel that I must step into the conversation at this juncture and point out that formal logic is not an airtight theory of knowledge.

    See also: Gödel

    Your mother!

    china_sig.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Smart people will notice where I'm from, it's 3am.

    This is because I'm up for an early morning code release.

    An early morning code release which, according to my emails, has been cancelled.

    Fun*!

    *Not really

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Hello. I am your friendly D&D mod for tonight, here to tell you that generally speaking, we prefer it when people say things and explain what they mean instead of darkly hinting at their possible meanings.

  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited November 2010
    J: Alcoff on emotion, Vandana Shiva for how we interpret emotion into women's knowledge. Merchant if you really want to have fun!

    Pony: Jacob wants us to cool it, so I won't countertroll. Thanks for playing, though.

    We need to decouple logical systems from being the only right or proper answer to a question/inquiry, and accept that "reasonable" thought is transitive, contextual, and embodies power relations within it. Illogical as a disparaging remark needs to be stopped; we need to move towards understanding and reclaiming logic, emotion, and others as acceptable and reasonable approaches in and of themselves and stop thinking of them as being antithetical. Such an approach also attacks the privilege inherent in proper, schooled, or learned thought by understanding context and self-determination as integral to any life and freeing reason from the academy.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hello. I am your friendly D&D mod for tonight, here to tell you that generally speaking, we prefer it when people say things and explain what they mean instead of darkly hinting at their possible meanings.

    What are you trying to say

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I feel that I must step into the conversation at this juncture and point out that formal logic is not an airtight theory of knowledge.

    See also: Gödel

    There is a distinction to be made between knowledge and truth functionality within arithmetic systems.

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I keed, I keed

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why are we still talking about this anyway, _J_ already brought up Hume
    could outconsume
    Wilhelm Friedrick Hegel

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm with matt, philosophy is best taken in drinking-song form

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's like in an anime where they're talking about scientific principles and they start using phrases like "conservation of mass" and "laws of thermodynamics" in the same sentences as "the power of our friendship" and "the energy of our suffering".

    It makes my brain leak out.

    china_sig.jpg
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess a big problem I'm having with this conversation is this;

    what exactly does an emotional approach to something entail?

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to talk about that overweight woman engaging in combat with members of the Wehrmacht and possibly the Waffen-SS, as directed by Uwe Boll.

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I guess a big problem I'm having with this conversation is this;

    what exactly does an emotional approach to something entail?
    Something tells me you're watching it unfold right now.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait, I should read the writer of Little Women for her insight on emotion?

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

    Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

    Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy
    But what if fuzzy wasn't fuzzy...

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

    And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

    china_sig.jpg
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    We need to decouple logical systems from being the only right or proper answer to a question/inquiry, and accept that "reasonable" thought is transitive, contextual, and embodies power relations within it. Illogical as a disparaging remark needs to be stopped; we need to move towards understanding and reclaiming logic, emotion, and others as acceptable and reasonable approaches in and of themselves and stop thinking of them as being antithetical. Such an approach also attacks the privilege inherent in proper, schooled, or learned thought by understanding context and self-determination as integral to any life and freeing reason from the academy.

    Your argument relies upon the rules you seek to refute.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I don't want to "talk" about it.

    More like say "What the fuck?" a few more times.

  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In other news I want to bang the chubby chick from that Black Ops ad. The one in purple. Her smile is the best smile.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited November 2010
    I want to talk about that overweight woman engaging in combat with members of the Wehrmacht and possibly the Waffen-SS, as directed by Uwe Boll.

    hey

    you just made me realize I could totally star in a Uwe Boll film

    brb filming demo tape

    @kagera: haha, of course!

    huntresssig.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

    And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

    Here, hold on to my innocuous black notebook.

    In fact, it's a present! Why don't you write your name in it?

  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    what exactly does an emotional approach to something entail?

    Non-rational feewings?

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huey Lewis and the New Kind of Science

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

    And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

    Was that the original one? I don't remember that in brotherhood.

  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I'm with matt, philosophy is best taken in drinking-song form

    One of the sub-teams at work called themselves the

    philosoraptors

  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There needs to be a rule articulated: The longer _J_ engaged in [chat], the greater the chance of the emergence of philosophy [chat]

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

    And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

    Was that the original one? I don't remember that in brotherhood.

    It was the original one. I was more let down than the time I got a trampoline for christmas but I was too fat to use it.

    china_sig.jpg
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Philosophy [chat]? What does it me to have Philosophy [chat]?

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • KilroyKilroy The Architect Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    There needs to be a rule articulated: The longer _J_ engaged in [chat], the greater the chance of the emergence of philosophy [chat]

    Headdesk's Law

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Last christmas was really tough for me.

    china_sig.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    debate.gif

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

    I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

    And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

    Was that the original one? I don't remember that in brotherhood.

    It was the original one. I was more let down than the time I got a trampoline for christmas but I was too fat to use it.

    Well the original one quickly went off the manga. Brotherhood is much better.

    Just out of curiosity DK, are you the Donkey Kong on the mc forums who did all the work on biomes?

  • SarksusSarksus playing tennisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damnit, where are you Inquisitor. The third story is cut-off. The preview is over!

  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    We need to decouple logical systems from being the only right or proper answer to a question/inquiry, and accept that "reasonable" thought is transitive, contextual, and embodies power relations within it. Illogical as a disparaging remark needs to be stopped; we need to move towards understanding and reclaiming logic, emotion, and others as acceptable and reasonable approaches in and of themselves and stop thinking of them as being antithetical. Such an approach also attacks the privilege inherent in proper, schooled, or learned thought by understanding context and self-determination as integral to any life and freeing reason from the academy.

    Your argument relies upon the rules you seek to refute.
    Ahah, I know intro WMST classes give you a lot of little tools to unpack and use, but playing shake them up and put them in random order on the page doesn't get you any sort of cogent argument.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

    I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

    This is a fairly common feature of western thinking, but it's important to realize that the belief that rationality and logic as the only tools for deriving truth are neither universal nor grounded in fact.

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
This discussion has been closed.