As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Italian Rapier [Chat]

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why are we still talking about this anyway, _J_ already brought up Hume

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I would love for everyone to expound on the issue because I don't understand the argument.

as in I don't get what either side is saying.

Men say women are emotional then say reason is the ultimate power in the universe because it is all about being rational and unemotional thus it opresses women.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I feel that I must step into the conversation at this juncture and point out that formal logic is not an airtight theory of knowledge.

See also: Gödel

Your mother!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Smart people will notice where I'm from, it's 3am.

This is because I'm up for an early morning code release.

An early morning code release which, according to my emails, has been cancelled.

Fun*!

*Not really

RMS Oceanic on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Hello. I am your friendly D&D mod for tonight, here to tell you that generally speaking, we prefer it when people say things and explain what they mean instead of darkly hinting at their possible meanings.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    J: Alcoff on emotion, Vandana Shiva for how we interpret emotion into women's knowledge. Merchant if you really want to have fun!

Pony: Jacob wants us to cool it, so I won't countertroll. Thanks for playing, though.

We need to decouple logical systems from being the only right or proper answer to a question/inquiry, and accept that "reasonable" thought is transitive, contextual, and embodies power relations within it. Illogical as a disparaging remark needs to be stopped; we need to move towards understanding and reclaiming logic, emotion, and others as acceptable and reasonable approaches in and of themselves and stop thinking of them as being antithetical. Such an approach also attacks the privilege inherent in proper, schooled, or learned thought by understanding context and self-determination as integral to any life and freeing reason from the academy.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hello. I am your friendly D&D mod for tonight, here to tell you that generally speaking, we prefer it when people say things and explain what they mean instead of darkly hinting at their possible meanings.

What are you trying to say

Senjutsu on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel that I must step into the conversation at this juncture and point out that formal logic is not an airtight theory of knowledge.

See also: Gödel

There is a distinction to be made between knowledge and truth functionality within arithmetic systems.

_J_ on
    edited November 2010
    I keed, I keed

Senjutsu on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why are we still talking about this anyway, _J_ already brought up Hume
    could outconsume
    Wilhelm Friedrick Hegel

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2010
    I'm with matt, philosophy is best taken in drinking-song form

Senjutsu on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's like in an anime where they're talking about scientific principles and they start using phrases like "conservation of mass" and "laws of thermodynamics" in the same sentences as "the power of our friendship" and "the energy of our suffering".

It makes my brain leak out.

Donkey Kong on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess a big problem I'm having with this conversation is this;

what exactly does an emotional approach to something entail?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited November 2010
    I want to talk about that overweight woman engaging in combat with members of the Wehrmacht and possibly the Waffen-SS, as directed by Uwe Boll.

RMS Oceanic on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I guess a big problem I'm having with this conversation is this;

Something tells me you're watching it unfold right now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited November 2010
    Wait, I should read the writer of Little Women for her insight on emotion?

Kagera on
    edited November 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy

Senjutsu on
    edited November 2010

Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy
    But what if fuzzy wasn't fuzzy...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited November 2010
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

Donkey Kong on
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    We need to decouple logical systems from being the only right or proper answer to a question/inquiry, and accept that "reasonable" thought is transitive, contextual, and embodies power relations within it. Illogical as a disparaging remark needs to be stopped; we need to move towards understanding and reclaiming logic, emotion, and others as acceptable and reasonable approaches in and of themselves and stop thinking of them as being antithetical. Such an approach also attacks the privilege inherent in proper, schooled, or learned thought by understanding context and self-determination as integral to any life and freeing reason from the academy.

Your argument relies upon the rules you seek to refute.

_J_ on
    edited November 2010
    Well, I don't want to "talk" about it.

More like say "What the fuck?" a few more times.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited November 2010
    In other news I want to bang the chubby chick from that Black Ops ad. The one in purple. Her smile is the best smile.

Kagera on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to talk about that overweight woman engaging in combat with members of the Wehrmacht and possibly the Waffen-SS, as directed by Uwe Boll.

hey

you just made me realize I could totally star in a Uwe Boll film

brb filming demo tape

@kagera: haha, of course!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    In fullmetal alchemist they were able to break the laws of thermodynamics with the power of love.

And that is when I stopped watching anime entirely and I will never ever watch it again.

Here, hold on to my innocuous black notebook.

In fact, it's a present! Why don't you write your name in it?

RMS Oceanic on
    edited November 2010

Non-rational feewings?

_J_ on
    edited November 2010
    Huey Lewis and the New Kind of Science

Senjutsu on
    edited November 2010

Was that the original one? I don't remember that in brotherhood.

DeShadowC on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm with matt, philosophy is best taken in drinking-song form

One of the sub-teams at work called themselves the

philosoraptors

Tamin on
    edited November 2010
    There needs to be a rule articulated: The longer _J_ engaged in [chat], the greater the chance of the emergence of philosophy [chat]

_J_ on
    edited November 2010

It was the original one. I was more let down than the time I got a trampoline for christmas but I was too fat to use it.

Donkey Kong on
    edited November 2010
    Philosophy [chat]? What does it me to have Philosophy [chat]?

Kagera on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    There needs to be a rule articulated: The longer _J_ engaged in [chat], the greater the chance of the emergence of philosophy [chat]

Headdesk's Law

Kilroy on
    edited November 2010
    Last christmas was really tough for me.

Donkey Kong on
    edited November 2010
    debate.gif

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited November 2010

It was the original one. I was more let down than the time I got a trampoline for christmas but I was too fat to use it.

Well the original one quickly went off the manga. Brotherhood is much better.

Just out of curiosity DK, are you the Donkey Kong on the mc forums who did all the work on biomes?

DeShadowC on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damnit, where are you Inquisitor. The third story is cut-off. The preview is over!

Sarksus on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

Your argument relies upon the rules you seek to refute.
    Ahah, I know intro WMST classes give you a lot of little tools to unpack and use, but playing shake them up and put them in random order on the page doesn't get you any sort of cogent argument.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
    edited November 2010
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

This is a fairly common feature of western thinking, but it's important to realize that the belief that rationality and logic as the only tools for deriving truth are neither universal nor grounded in fact.

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.