As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Italian Rapier [Chat]

1484950515254»

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy
    But what if fuzzy wasn't fuzzy...
    HOW DARE YOU

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can we go back to talking about bears?

Fuzzy logic is a means of sustaining the Ursidaearchy
    But what if fuzzy wasn't fuzzy...
    HOW DARE YOU
    Sorry baby, I like my clouds smooth

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

This is a fairly common feature of western thinking, but it's important to realize that the belief that rationality and logic as the only tools for deriving truth are neither universal nor grounded in fact.
    I absolutely agree with this. A large portion of the decisions we make are not grounded in any type of logic.
    Shopping behaviors absolutely destroy the logical construct of all decisions.
    There's the guy in Oliver Sack's book, if I remember correctly, whose entire emotional portion of his brain was destroyed, and he will spend hours trying to pick the most logical/best cereal brand.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well the original one quickly went off the manga. Brotherhood is much better.

Just out of curiosity DK, are you the Donkey Kong on the mc forums who did all the work on biomes?

Sure am.

And yeah, I heard the new one is better, but I have plenty of things to fill my leisure time without giving that series a second chance. Plus I hear they do the super deformed thing even more and there's somehow still filler.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess my confusion is coming from the idea that i see logic and rationality primarily as tools for solving problems

I've never thought of emotion as a tool for solving a problem. it should definitely factor in to HOW you solve problems, since we're all human and we all feel things, and those should be taken into account. but I have trouble imagining approaching a problem, and then wielding emotion to hammer it out

This is a fairly common feature of western thinking, but it's important to realize that the belief that rationality and logic as the only tools for deriving truth are neither universal nor grounded in fact.

an example of an alternative would be helpful :(

or maybe this is my not being studied in formal logic coming over to bite me. maybe i use emotional approaches that i think are perfectly rational? I dunno.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fullmetal Alchemist was the best representation of a fake science ever produced! Even better than Sailor Moon's Nudity Transformation Principle.

Sarksus on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Are we agreed that in order to define a term one need rely upon the rules of logic, specifically the law of non-contradiction?

If so, not sure how Arivia can get her shit off the ground.

_J_ on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish I could watch The Wire again for the first time with no knowledge of what would happen. It's such a great experience :(

stevemarks44 on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Damnit, where are you Inquisitor. The third story is cut-off. The preview is over!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Inquisitor on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

or maybe this is my not being studied in formal logic coming over to bite me. maybe i use emotional approaches that i think are perfectly rational? I dunno.

Some "eastern" modes of thought are heavily invested in intuition; look at things like zen and the concept of transmissions outside the scriptures, or the kinds of argumentation used in the development of the abidharma, which differ significantly from western approaches to logic.

These aren't necessarily the best examples, simply ones with which I have some familiarity

Senjutsu on
    edited November 2010

I absolutely agree with this. A large portion of the decisions we make are not grounded in any type of logic.
    Shopping behaviors absolutely destroy the logical construct of all decisions.
    There's the guy in Oliver Sack's book, if I remember correctly, whose entire emotional portion of his brain was destroyed, and he will spend hours trying to pick the most logical/best cereal brand.

Do I buy the healthy cereal or the delicious cereal? Do I live longer and less happily or do I enjoy life over a shorter period of time? How should happiness be defined and measured? Is happiness a goal one should achieve? Is achievement necessary to live a fulfilling life? Is there an objective meaning to life or are we left to create our own meaning and therefore can we discard the necessity to live a fulfilling life? What is it to be?

Sarksus on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The advantage Rivs has here is she doesn't need to make a strong argument, so long as she knows she's right... in her heart

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    2010-11-10.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited November 2010
    Jesus Matt, spoiler dat yeah? :P

Sarksus: what do you think of what you got to read so far?

Inquisitor on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Some "eastern" modes of thought are heavily invested in intuition; look at things like zen and the concept of transmissions outside the scriptures, or the kinds of argumentation used in the development of the abidharma, which differ significantly from western approaches to logic.

These aren't necessarily the best examples, simply ones with which I have some familiarity

So are western modes. Fucking mystical revelations.

Couscous on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Are we agreed that in order to define a term one need rely upon the rules of logic, specifically the law of non-contradiction?

If so, not sure how Arivia can get her shit off the ground.

Non-contradiction? No way! You try and take all the fun out of things, J.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Just out of curiosity DK, are you the Donkey Kong on the mc forums who did all the work on biomes?

Sure am.

And yeah, I heard the new one is better, but I have plenty of things to fill my leisure time without giving that series a second chance. Plus I hear they do the super deformed thing even more and there's somehow still filler.

:^: Seriously you've done a lot for biome support. Also your map editing biome tools looks nice. Plan to use it on the G&T server whenever the lighting bug is fixed.

I don't remember seeing any filler but its been a bit.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2010
    The Tao that agrees with _J_'s conception of definition requiring non-contradiction is not the true Tao.

Senjutsu on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love creating a really likable character, developing that character and putting them through the wringer, give them victories and losses, and then once they've reached the pique of their awesomeness, kill them off. I love doing that a lot.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Damnit, where are you Inquisitor. The third story is cut-off. The preview is over!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I could read part of it but I'd rather not.

I liked the second story more.
    It's hard to explain. He created these characters in order to tell the story but at this point in time there wasn't really any life in the solar system. The characters are given odd names and their features are left ambiguous. They could simply be human beings but I also thought of them as gaseous that condensed into something more conventional when the Earth was created and they lived out extremely long lives (the reference to 1912 was very cool) as what might be human beings or approximations. The imagery of the sun condensing out of the nebula and leaving a wide gap where illuminated islands floated was great. It was a great creation story. I'm reminded of the beginning of Narnia when Aslan created it.

Sarksus on
    edited November 2010
    I love creating a really likable character, developing that character and putting them through the wringer, give them victories and losses, and then once they've reached the pique of their awesomeness, kill them off. I love doing that a lot.

Nice try, Joss Whedon

Senjutsu on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Sure am.

:^: Seriously you've done a lot for biome support. Also your map editing biome tools looks nice. Plan to use it on the G&T server whenever the lighting bug is fixed.

Heh, I didn't write the thing that makes biomes bigger and alters terrain generation. That was Bucky. I did some of the initial groundwork and made a tool that can spit out biome values for use by map programs.

I've decided not to release any mods until the codebase settles down. I've written more than a few for myself and I've shared things I've discovered about how the code works, but spending forever on a mod, then getting a billion support requests and having to rewrite each week? I'll pass for now.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited November 2010
    also pique isn't the word you were looking for

Senjutsu on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Nice try, Joss Whedon

What?

He didn't mention anything about love. PUH-LEEZE.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited November 2010

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I could read part of it but I'd rather not.

I liked the second story more.
    It's hard to explain. He created these characters in order to tell the story but at this point in time there wasn't really any life in the solar system. The characters are given odd names and their features are left ambiguous. They could simply be human beings but I also thought of them as gaseous that condensed into something more conventional when the Earth was created and they lived out extremely long lives (the reference to 1912 was very cool) as what might be human beings or approximations. The imagery of the sun condensing out of the nebula and leaving a wide gap where illuminated islands floated was great. It was a great creation story. I'm reminded of the beginning of Narnia when Aslan created it.
    Yeah, the way that he creates characters that are simultaneously so human while also being completely inhuman is one of the greatest strengths I feel of his work. It's really quite amazing.

Glad to hear you are digging it.

Inquisitor on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Sure am.

Heh, I didn't write the thing that makes biomes bigger and alters terrain generation. That was Bucky. I did some of the initial groundwork and made a tool that can spit out biome values for use by map programs.

I've decided not to release any mods until the codebase settles down. I've written more than a few for myself and I've shared things I've discovered about how the code works, but spending forever on a mod, then getting a billion support requests and having to rewrite each week? I'll pass for now.

Oh I know. The tool that can spit out biome values for map programs is extremely valuable. It'll make the new map post bug fix a lot easier.

DeShadowC on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got busy at work and decided to catch up on [chat]

I can't believe I actually read the last several pages

Why did I do that

Nocturne on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Senj, give us a new [chat].

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.