As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck World of Tanks, all hail Tankhammer (who you gonna call?)

1474849505153»

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    honestly I've completely lost interest in this game

and uninstalled it over a month or so ago.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »
    If you guys aren't playing this anymore, I suggest you actually make this thread about me.

hi 5

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    I still play it from time to time, I enjoy rolling out the IS for a while and blowing stuff up. I guess I'll have to check out the American tanks sometime.
    Don't bother checking the US tanks, they're not really that great. There's nothing that German or Russian tanks don't have or haven't already done better. The Tier 10 heavy tank only has something like 120/75/60 body armor.

I still play quite frequently, but it definitely has some major pitfalls. Main one is artillery, it needs to be completely overhauled.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have been playing occasionally lately, hey its free, and I can play a few quick rounds on breaks. The lack of a Pershing, hellcat, M10 in the US release is disapointing, but I tried the two shermans. The tier 5 is ok, like an upgunned pz4 but better handling and way worse armor. Only had 2 games with the tier 6 but I like it. The second 76 has great refire speed, manuvers well with only the middle engine. Paper armor of course, don't think a shot has bounced yet off either one.

The only US heavy I see so far is the T1, which at best is a churchill with a bigger hitbox.

Ogotai on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So has it been released yet and our beta tanks wiped? If I still have my panther I might actually reinstall

Alegis on
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Still beta and there was no wipe for the patch with the US tanks.

Ogotai on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm working my way to the IS series, about 35k exp away from it. KV3 is alright though, once it's upgraded.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you guys aren't playing this anymore, I suggest you actually make this thread about me.

hi 5

Yeah, that's the stuff.

TankHammer on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

hi 5

Yeah, that's the stuff.

Power Overwhelming!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »
    I'm working my way to the IS series, about 35k exp away from it. KV3 is alright though, once it's upgraded.

KV3's can be annoying as all hell to fight. I repeatedly bounced off one with my IS while it killed me :(

Arrath on
    edited November 2010
    Funny, anything in the IS series is what I hate going against. Just the other day I went up against one head to head, and even with the best gun I still bounced shots off of the IS body.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just played a few rounds, and it was pretty good. The patch really did eliminate warping, making long-distance combat much more enjoyable. You can actually lead and hit stuff fairly reliably now.

On a related note, it seems they've changed the way auto-aim works - specifically it doesn't lead targets any more at all. So it's suitable for very close range combat, such as you would have in a fast-moving light or medium trying to circle a slower target, but no good for sniping at anything that's moving at all. A good change in my opinion; close-in dogfighting is when you really need the assistance with aiming while you concentrate on driving, while longer-range shots should be based more on player skill. With this change plus the elimination of warping, that's finally the way it works in practice.

Like FlatEric, I also think artillery could use some work. I've enjoyed playing it, and I don't think it's completely overpowered or game-breaking as-is, but I do think it could be improved. One suggestion that came up on the forums a while back was to increase RoF, decrease damage and initial accuracy, and to give an accuracy bonus with each successive shot fired in the same area. That would result in a "zeroing-in" effect, making artillery more of an area-denial weapon. You could use it to lock down a chokepoint (by zeroing in before enemies arrive) or to force enemies to move from a targeted area, but it wouldn't be as much of a brutal long-range instant-kill type of affair.

So it seems like some aspects of the game are getting better, and that there's hope for improvement in other areas as well. There's no denying that the game is still a grindfest, though, and that they're quite intent on getting you to buy gold - and neither of those things is likely to change, except for the worse. If it were a regular retail release, or even a flat monthly sub, I'd be much more likely to pay for it, but the microtransaction model just makes me angry.

Supraluminal on
    edited November 2010
    Funny, anything in the IS series is what I hate going against. Just the other day I went up against one head to head, and even with the best gun I still bounced shots off of the IS body.

Hmm, the regular IS feels only moderately durable to me. I rarely see mine bounce shots from anything within a couple of tiers of it. The IS-3 and up, on the other hand, have some brutal sloping, which makes them a huge pain to engage from the front.

Supraluminal on
    edited November 2010
    The IS is pretty durable from what I've seen, but yes the IS-3 and up are a nightmare to face head on. I can't wait until I get one.

And I really like your idea for artillery, I had a similar one. Even with zeroing in though, artillery shouldn't be as accurate as it currently is. That era artillery fired fast and inaccurate.

One other change that I think would balance things better is the removal of this overhead view that's like a live satellite video. Instead, when artillery goes into overhead, enlarge the minimap and let them plan their shots based on that. No more live view of the battlefield or being able to tell exactly where enemies are moving. Instead, it's like their getting information over a radio and updating a map based on that info.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited November 2010
    The IS is pretty durable from what I've seen, but yes the IS-3 and up are a nightmare to face head on. I can't wait until I get one.

And I really like your idea for artillery, I had a similar one. Even with zeroing in though, artillery shouldn't be as accurate as it currently is. That era artillery fired fast and inaccurate.

One other change that I think would balance things better is the removal of this overhead view that's like a live satellite video. Instead, when artillery goes into overhead, enlarge the minimap and let them plan their shots based on that. No more live view of the battlefield or being able to tell exactly where enemies are moving. Instead, it's like their getting information over a radio and updating a map based on that info.

I dunno, I don't find the satellite view to be a problem at all. Unless they REALLY amp up the volume of fire you can put out, you'd have to be able to locate targets pretty precisely to have any hope of being useful. Plus it would be dull as a motherfucker to be staring at a blown-up minimap full of red and green dots for the whole match, clicking on it and waiting to get a text alert about whether or not you killed anyone. The current view system feels like a perfectly reasonable concession to fun over realism to me.

As to accuracy, I think it's important to the fun-factor that you be able to score hits on targets in your zeroed-in area with a fair degree of consistency. It's also important that artillery remain a serious threat to enemies that stay in one area for too long. As long as the damage and RoF are adjusted properly, high artillery accuracy (which would take several shots, spread out over maybe 10 to 20 seconds to achieve) wouldn't be as immediately lethal as it is now anyway.

The bottom line is that enjoyability trumps realism in my opinion. As long as artillery is fulfilling a vaguely artillery-like role, that's good enough for me. The specific mechanics should be tailored to make the game as fun as possible for everyone - the artillery players, their teammates, and the people they're shooting at.

Supraluminal on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Battlemechs are kinda like tanks.

What is your opinion on battletech guys?

I just lost a dire wolf because I ran it into the open trying to get a shot at my opponent's heavy.

It's not really an intuitive game IMO.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

it also fired from a mile away with a greatly increased rate of fire and a much larger blast radius

and when they blew treads off a tank, they didn't magically regrow in 15 seconds

PiptheFair on
    edited November 2010
    I agree that fun should be more important than realism, and that it should be fun for all three types of vehicles. At the moment I just feel that the balance of fun is shifted too far in favor of artillery. Being able to place shots with pinpoint accuracy while seeing exactly what's going on from a mile away and having those shots be strong enough to destroy a Tiger in one hit is just, in my opinion, too overpowered. Honestly, I'd be happy if they would reduce the damage they're able to do, or perhaps limit the number of artillery per team.

As it is, it sucks the fun out of playing as any slow moving vehicle. Even quick vehicles don't stand a chance against a good artillery player. Because of this the battles become repetitive and boring with tanks going to the same locations that have cover and having the same firefights on each map over and over because if you don't then you'll get wiped out by artillery. So while it adds some variety to the game and an extra element of danger for tanks and TDs, as it is currently I feel it hurts the game more than it helps it.

I just hope it gets changed in some manner, because otherwise it's a very fun game.

edit: yeah that's true Pip. Changes made for the sake of it being a videogame and all that, I just think the system they decided to use could use some tweaks to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited November 2010
    I personally think it's easier to evade artillery than you're suggesting, but yeah, I'm not disagreeing that changes should be made. I'm just trying to make the point that highly-inaccurate, spray-and-pray artillery wouldn't be fun to play. If you reduce accuracy too much you take skill out of the equation and it becomes a crapshoot. Better to balance it by other means, like the hypothetical zeroing-in mechanism and RoF/damage-per-hit tweaks.

Supraluminal on