As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I found the best mod ever in the history of ever.

We're running it on G+T's server and I'll enable it once / if I get yours running tomorrow.

Basically: Minecart boosters. Track running over gold blocks increases your speed. Track running over mud (hell block) brakes you. Track on obsidian, which then has redstone current applied, will launch you down the rails pretty fast.

It's great. It's working wonderfully in our Metro station that we have set up in Rapture. Only downside is you don't seem to load new chunks in as you're travelling on rails (which is a bug with current minecarts and the game, not this mod), so you can't go... very far. But roller coasters and the likes are a possibility as long as it stays near itself.

Oh, dur, link:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67683

Ein on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.modminecraft.com/2010/11/11/tronic/

actually a gorgeous skin wow

T4CT on
  • hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, it looks like the server stayed up all night. So I'm guessing mods were the issue with the severe exceptions.

Edit: That mod is amazing Ein, I can't wait for Notch to fix the "server not updating your position" bug!

hiartbill on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bill, i think it was also a pretty quiet night

Raneados on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

ooo
    I really like that one.

skettios on
    edited November 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    bill, i think it was also a pretty quiet night

It was, I looked over the logs. But, one concern was the server was eating into burst memory while running, and eventually the VPS just says "no" to a malloc and the server hard crashes (because Notch doesn't know how to handle exceptions/errors AT ALL). Looks to not be the case, so I'm guessing out-of-date mods were causing the hard crashes before. I'll find out for sure today!

Edit: Anyways, if people were curious, I put up a render of the map after people messed around last night: hiartbill.dyndns.org/minecraftMaps. I probably need to get mce installed so I can run a prune before a render, making things prettier. Oh well. If you look closely you can see where the holes used to be (hint: the random map seed we have now is different than it was originally. It got corrupted and changed sometime last week...).

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    I made some adjustments to how the server is launched that should make the Java garbage collection utilize more cores, and I set the flag to use the "server JVM" now which might improve things. I would expect a performance increase, or no change at all (basically, I have no idea how much java detected about the VPS, so some of the flags I set may have been done automatically before). I ask for a new batch of testers :P

hiartbill on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'll be on in a bit

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    I won't be on because I'm at work, and I have to handle some closeout procedures for a project that we just finished. But I'll monitor the server and restart if need be. I love my Droid.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    Found out I could load plugins without restarting the server. BorderLands, WorldEdit, LeafDropper, and CraftBook all installed and loaded (all up-to-date with hey0 b125, shouldn't have any issues).

hiartbill on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I was the only person on last night for a couple hours

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »
    I won't be on because I'm at work, and I have to handle some closeout procedures for a project that we just finished. But I'll monitor the server and restart if need be. I love my Droid.

I'm at work too and I just had to handle some closeout documents on a project we just closed. I also love my droid.

quit stealing my life.

Too bad I can't play minecraft on my droid... :winky:

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited November 2010
    rockmonkey wrote: »

I'm at work too and I just had to handle some closeout documents on a project we just closed. I also love my droid.

quit stealing my life.

I can't either...not yet. I'm talking more about having an app to create an SSH tunnel to my VPS :P

Although, I'm really thinking of trying to install this: Minecraft Map explorer

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010

quit stealing my life.

I can't either...not yet. I'm talking more about having an app to create an SSH tunnel to my VPS :P

Although, I'm really thinking of installing this: Minecraft Map explorer

Oh I understood what you meant about accessing the VPS that's acting as the minecraft server from your droid. It was more a separate thought that I've had several times the last couple of weeks.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Put that on the iPad RIGHT NOW

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited November 2010
    <snip>

Oh I understood what you meant about accessing the VPS that's acting as the minecraft server from your droid. It was more a separate thought that I've had several times the last couple of weeks.

The guy who made that map explorer is working on making minecraft playable on his phone :winky:

hiartbill on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PSU is totally fried. I'm gonna try and get the map off the machine, but it may take me a while to get the hard drive out and into something that works.

Ein on
    edited November 2010
    Warping to david still causes server crash, I might end up having to remove it as well.

Ein: I hope the PSU frying wasn't because of us :(

hiartbill on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah go ahead

and so it was foretold

raneados may not have nice things

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    wait could we even hurt the PSU? just by doolin' on the server?

Raneados on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wait could we even hurt the PSU? just by doolin' on the server?

Not directly, unless the PSU was underpowered or low quality to begin with.

Hey Ein, if you post your server's vital stats I can see what I've got in my spare parts for possible upgrades.

Ruckus on
    edited November 2010
    I'm so getting that app for my phone.

Alternatively I'd love to play minecraft on an iPad.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited November 2010
    yeah go ahead

and so it was foretold

raneados may not have nice things

Just until Notch fixes things :P

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?

is it a big mystery?

or is it "uh something something skybox"

and is it affecting the floating islands?

Raneados on
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

is it a big mystery?

I think this might be your problem

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

is it a big mystery?

Oh hey look I got a new sig.

Ruckus on
    edited November 2010

is it a big mystery?

Same issue both the islands and the empty hole has (and to a lesser extent the crater): lighting bug that came with the Halloween update. In general, SMP server performance took a huge hit with the Halloween update, and Notch just hasn't fixed any of it yet (he's working on it I guess...). From what I understand, post-Halloween the lighting algorithm tends to fall into an infinite loop that of course uses tons of CPU and RAM, and it's only a fail-safe Notch hastily patched in that keeps it from instantly breaking the server any time the algorithm runs.

Last I heard he's probably going to have to re-write the entire algorithm to fix it. So it might be awhile.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

is it a big mystery?

I think this might be your problem

Oh wow I hadn't seen that thread, thank you for pointing us to it! That means I can (instead of deleting the holes entirely) just fill them in from 32 down. This would keep their locations set to make it easier to bring them back later. I'll check when I get home, but I think only the Lighthouse extends below 32 in the big hole. So people might be able to start building on the islands!

hiartbill on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is something about level 32.
    Everything below it is causing problems.

You could still work there Rane, but you'll be starting at level 32 and not at the feet or whatever.

We're actually going to be filling in some holes for now.

EDIT: Yeah nevermind.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    edited November 2010
    Yeah that killed the server again, even with us walking there and not warping.

I'll go in and fill it with water to 35 or 36 when I get home. That means you'll have to work under water Rane, I hope you don't mind.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    Nuka I removed both our .dat files. You should be ok to log back in, sorry I had to do it though. Mod your items back :P

hiartbill on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bill, can I get the server address?

Legba on
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill.dyndns.org

If we get our old map back from Ein today, I'll go in and fix every gap in the map. This will very likely make Ein's machine stable again, so depending on what's going on with that we might stay with it. I'm wary of that because I don't like not having access to the machine (in case it ever goes down again, I hate having to bug Ein), but I'll leave that up to everyone here!

hiartbill on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    having trouble logging in, I got in few a few seconds and then it crashed

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited November 2010
    yeah I tried going to David with only me online. Still instant hang. I guess I'll need to wait till I get home and can use MCEdit to fix it.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    yeah fill it in, I haven't really done anything because of explosions, just a little spacing out

although it has worked a few times since the halloween update, hmm

we can always punch it out later

I can work on other things

Raneados on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

quit stealing my life.

Although, I'm really thinking of trying to install this: Minecraft Map explorer

what yes give this to me

MrMonroe on
    edited November 2010
    yeah fill it in, I haven't really done anything because of explosions, just a little spacing out

although it has worked a few times since the halloween update, hmm

we can always punch it out later

I can work on other things

We're going to fill it partially with water. That should fix the lag completely if that thread's research is correct, and you'll be able to build there with no problems for anyone else (provided you're ok with building under water).

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    sure, I don't think I'll work on the whole lot of the hole a whole lot (hah) but I can do some stuff around it, plus hey I'll stop fucking the server in the ass, which is a plus

let me know when it gets done so I can come in and not effing destroy everyone :<

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »

is it a big mystery?

Oh hey look I got a new sig.

strangely enough my hole gets a lot of attention

Raneados on
This discussion has been closed.