As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jeep [Chat]okee

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Ugh, sorry, that came off harsher than I meant it.

What you eat is your business, Japan, not mine.

Wait what

japan on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I almost exclusively eat pasta.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ok, I've posted this before but in case any of you haven't seen it:
    http://www.cornell.edu/video/?videoID=909&startSecs=0&endSecs=5031

It's a series of 5 lectures by physicist Nima Arkani-Hamed which is an excellent summation of what is up in physics lately. And some very good explanations of what might be found at the large hadron collider.

I've had it opened in a tab since you last linked it but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Sarksus on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am suffering from post-London sinus problems.

It's kinda minging.

BobCesca on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrMister wrote:
    MrMister wrote: »
    Those students are loathsome, but it seems like (protected) political speech to me. They shouldn't be forced to cover it up.

Doesn't apply in school for the most part.

That is the opposite of true.

A prohibition against expression of opinion, without any evidence that the rule is necessary to avoid substantial interference with school discipline or the rights of others, is not permissible under the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

There needs to be a finding to the effect that there is substantial interference with school discipline and the rights of others. And being offended, or exposed to contradictory opinion, is explicitly designated as insufficient.

MrMister on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Those students are loathsome, but it seems like (protected) political speech to me. They shouldn't be forced to cover it up.

Did you miss this part:
    when three students wore the T-shirts, which also quoted a Biblical passage advocating death as a punishment for homosexual activity.

Students have much less leeway when it comes to making threats.

Thomamelas on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Did you miss this part:
    when three students wore the T-shirts, which also quoted a Biblical passage advocating death as a punishment for homosexual activity.

But see thom administrators didn't read that as a threat...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010

Did you miss this part:

further on it goes to say some kids wore shirts without that part

Organichu on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    yeah i have started banging around. i guess i'll set an agenda for monday and try to head into next week the right way.

You say that, but when Saturday, Sunday and Monday all blur together and then Frankie tells you it's Thursday, that plan will fall apart.

haha i was convinced somehow that yesterday was not thursday

i have no idea why

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Whereas I am really digging the Avengers because they've never really done a full-on, unapologetically epic, Stan Lee-style Marvel cartoon before. If you'd told me a year ago that I'd ever see Arnim Zola or Mandrill in a cartoon, I'd have laughed. But they've got those AND plots that are faithful to the early age of Marvel AND some really dead-on characterizations of some of my favorite characters.

The use of an LMD with Fury was a nice touch.

Yeah, it's a lot of little stuff like that that I'm digging - Ultrons as prison guards, cameos from actual SHIELD agents, Wolverine in WWII, etc.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ok, once more before I go find something else to do: anyone want to play Civ5 multiplayer? I haven't had a chance to do so yet.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited November 2010
    japan wrote: »

Wait what

she said you were eating like a mountain

but

i guess she thinks you might have taken offense

Organichu on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Doesn't apply in school for the most part.

That is the opposite of true.

A prohibition against expression of opinion, without any evidence that the rule is necessary to avoid substantial interference with school discipline or the rights of others, is not permissible under the First and Fourteenth Amendments.
    [/QUOTE]

There needs to be a finding to the effect that there is substantial interference with school discipline and the rights of others. And being offended, or exposed to contradictory opinion, is explicitly designated as insufficient.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't take a genius to see that wearing t-shirts specifically meant to aggravate interferes with school discipline. Its like with those kids in CA who wore American Flag shirts just to aggravate hispanics on hispanic-pride day.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

i don't think he'll take offense

he's a pretty avid cyclist

(i am the seat)

Actually lately I have been a very lackadaisical cyclist.

I'm going to have a go at a potential commute route that doesn't seem quite so much like urban combat, though, so hopefully that will change.

japan on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tinker notwithstanding, most cases about free speech in schools go against the students.

It depends. Is the speech obscene? Is it in a reasonable time and place? Is the school engaging in viewpoint discrimination? (e.g. they are allowed to shut down all clubs, but not to shut down one club), and etc.

I don't think free speech rights in school are as strong as they should be, but they are most certainly there.

MrMister on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There needs to be a finding to the effect that there is substantial interference with school discipline and the rights of others. And being offended, or exposed to contradictory opinion, is explicitly designated as insufficient.

So you can't see how a quote affirming that it is just to kill homosexuals, worn on a day designed to foster a safe environment for gay students, would substantially interfere with school discipline and the right of certain students to not be assailed with inflammatory religious rhetoric?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    do mountains eat much

Senjutsu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Did you miss this part:

So make the threat once and then the reminders that lack the explicit threat become okay?

Thomamelas on
    edited November 2010
    Basically I didn't realise I was being insulted.

So no offence taken, worry about it not.

japan on
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    do mountains eat much

They mostly sleep like rocks.

Sarksus on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    do mountains eat much

They eat continents.
    True story all tectonic plates sheeet going all up ins

Daxon on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I was thinking that if Netflix wants to call itself a streaming company it should have a hell of a lot more of its library available for streaming. They can call themselves a streaming company when every season of Top Gear is available!

I thought they had most of new format up for streaming, and really you aren't missing out on to much with the older stuff. Although seeing a young Jeremy Clarkson is pretty bizarre and interesting.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited November 2010
    yeah i have started banging around. i guess i'll set an agenda for monday and try to head into next week the right way.

You say that, but when Saturday, Sunday and Monday all blur together and then Frankie tells you it's Thursday, that plan will fall apart.

haha i was convinced somehow that yesterday was not thursday

i have no idea why

It's pretty easy to lose your sense of time without some sort of structure.
    Whereas I am really digging the Avengers because they've never really done a full-on, unapologetically epic, Stan Lee-style Marvel cartoon before. If you'd told me a year ago that I'd ever see Arnim Zola or Mandrill in a cartoon, I'd have laughed. But they've got those AND plots that are faithful to the early age of Marvel AND some really dead-on characterizations of some of my favorite characters.

The use of an LMD with Fury was a nice touch.

Yeah, it's a lot of little stuff like that that I'm digging - Ultrons as prison guards, cameos from actual SHIELD agents, Wolverine in WWII, etc.

I noticed Maria Hill. Doc Samson as well.

Thomamelas on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    do mountains eat much

They mostly sleep like rocks.

Some mountains are on special basalt-restricted diets

Senjutsu on
    edited November 2010

Did you miss this part:

So make the threat once and then the reminders that lack the explicit threat become okay?

different kids

Organichu on
    edited November 2010
    Doesn't take a genius to see that wearing t-shirts specifically meant to aggravate interferes with school discipline. Its like with those kids in CA who wore American Flag shirts just to aggravate hispanics on hispanic-pride day.

I bet you dollars to donuts those flag shirts were entirely protected speech. Overt political symbols are, like, the paradigm case.

School discipline does not mean "keeping people's feathers from getting ruffled." It means preventing literal brawls, allowing class to proceed, e.g. teachers silencing students who are trying to talk during lecture, and etc.

It's a good thing, too, otherwise those tinker kids would have had to lose the armbands.

MrMister on
    edited November 2010

Did you miss this part:

different kids

Same message.

Thomamelas on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah its not like they hadn't already delivered the message they were going for. And again this came during a week preaching tolerance, which shows this was the parents using their kids to be good little christian asshole bigots.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2010

So you can't see how a quote affirming that it is just to kill homosexuals, worn on a day designed to foster a safe environment for gay students, would substantially interfere with school discipline and the right of certain students to not be assailed with inflammatory religious rhetoric?

That, importantly, is not a right.

MrMister on
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I was thinking that if Netflix wants to call itself a streaming company it should have a hell of a lot more of its library available for streaming. They can call themselves a streaming company when every season of Top Gear is available!

I thought they had most of new format up for streaming, and really you aren't missing out on to much with the older stuff. Although seeing a young Jeremy Clarkson is pretty bizarre and interesting.

They only have seasons nine through twelve and some of the episodes are missing in a few of them. I've finished those already! I'd rather see everything rather than only some and then not have anything to watch.

Sarksus on
    edited November 2010

I bet you dollars to donuts those flag shirts were entirely protected speech. Overt political symbols are, like, the paradigm case.

School discipline does not mean "keeping people's feathers from getting ruffled." It means preventing literal brawls, allowing class to proceed, e.g. teachers silencing students who are trying to talk during lecture, and etc.

It's a good thing, too, otherwise those tinker kids would have had to lose the armbands.

You'd lose. The case for the biblical message being an implied threat is pretty easy. Without that passage, you'd be right. With it, those kids get laughed out of court.

Thomamelas on
    edited November 2010

Did you miss this part:

different kids

Same message.

i'm not contesting that fuck-with-gay-kids is a shitty message

Organichu on
    edited November 2010
    The UK actually does have a law against speech "intended to incite racial or religious hatred."

I'm generally of the opinion that it is a bad law.

japan on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Actually it means enforcing a productive and smooth learning environment. Blocking offensive speech or actions falls under that provision, particularly when it creates a hostile environment for another group of students, in this case the gay students.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo, bought sweaters.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    japan wrote: »
    The UK actually does have a law against speech "intended to incite racial or religious hatred."

I'm generally of the opinion that it is a bad law.

I'd generally agree, with exceptions, and schools are one of them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    did anyone else watch the wave when they were in school

we had a teacher try to do that to us once and she just wound up finding out that a bunch of 5th grade boys are perfectly okay with subverting others

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    did anyone else watch the wave when they were in school

we had a teacher try to do that to us once and she just wound up finding out that a bunch of 5th grade boys are perfectly okay with subverting others

i don't know what this is or means

you are talking in riddles, sir

Organichu on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The first rule of school club is don't be a dick.

You second rule of school club is dicks get whipped.

There, education sorted.

Daxon on
    edited November 2010
    Woo, bought sweaters.

housin dem puppies

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.