Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Jeep [Chat]okee

14243444648

Posts

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

  • TehSlothTehSloth Looking for a girl who hates everything that I hate Except meRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because the line between hate-speech and unpopular speech can get pretty thin, and banning unpopular speech is bad.

    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
  • MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    I should add that he drunkenly shoved me and called my girlfriend a whore to my face so he was asking for it

    also i wasn't crashing a party, i was invited by the dudes who threw it

    cause they were friends with my girlfriend and were all "hey bring your boyfriend along"

    Wow, that guy sounds like a super-goose.

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I pledge allegiance
    to Queen Frag
    and her mighty state of hysteria.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

  • LudiousLudious The Poopsmith A butt, where the poop isRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh there's not a problem with headshots or aiming, matt. If you like RPG headshots and aiming.

    I do not. I installed mods that made headshots deadly and removed bullet bending. Where you shoot is where you hit. So I took the RPG out of the combat.


    Google Talk: ludious83
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    i have lived in texas all but 2 years of my life and had no idea we had our own pledge

    overblown?

    http://law.onecle.com/texas/education/25.082.00.html
    (b)  The board of trustees of each school district shall 
    require students, once during each school day at each school in the 
    district, to recite:
    		(1)  the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag 
    in accordance with 4 U.S.C. Section 4, and its subsequent 
    amendments;  and
    		(2)  the pledge of allegiance to the state flag in 
    accordance with Subchapter C, Chapter 3100, Government Code.
    	(c)  On written request from a student's parent or guardian, 
    a school district shall excuse the student from reciting a pledge of 
    allegiance under Subsection (b).
    	(d)  The board of trustees of each school district shall 
    provide for the observance of one minute of silence at each school 
    in the district following the recitation of the pledges of 
    allegiance to the United States and Texas flags under Subsection
    

  • MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because the line between hate-speech and unpopular speech can get pretty thin, and banning unpopular speech is bad.

    As far as I'm concerned, let the Nazis march in Skokie.

    Free speech, it's important.

  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    The Wall is awesome.

    And so is all the rest of Roger Waters solo work!

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    it is so a pink floyd album, says so right on the margin

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

    worth pointing out that the US politicizes their courts to the point that you can't trust them to enforce the law sanely because it might harm their re-election campaign

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    did anyone else watch the wave when they were in school

    we had a teacher try to do that to us once and she just wound up finding out that a bunch of 5th grade boys are perfectly okay with subverting others

    i don't know what this is or means

    you are talking in riddles, sir

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave

    The closest thing we had to that was DARE.

    Proud to say it triggered my bullshit alarm even at that young age.

    Yeah we had that in fifth gradetriggered my "pull out 300 page novel and ignore everything until we moved on to something that mattered" reflex

    sigtk.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    I hate you.

    You are wrong.

    You cannot have an objective opinion, stop doing that.

  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I should add that he drunkenly shoved me and called my girlfriend a whore to my face so he was asking for it

    also i wasn't crashing a party, i was invited by the dudes who threw it

    cause they were friends with my girlfriend and were all "hey bring your boyfriend along"

    Wow, that guy sounds like a super-goose.

    it was actually the most tense millisecond of my life

    it was one of those lights-out punches, he was drunk and didn't stand a chance

    and for a split second after I dropped him I thought "oh god, I'm one of like 3 straight guys here and i just knocked out a gay dude what am i going to do where is the door oh shit"

    and then people started cheering and i was so relieved

    919UOwT.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

    worth pointing out that the US politicizes their courts to the point that you can't trust them to enforce the law sanely because it might harm their re-election campaign

    Only state courts, and not all of those. Every single federal judge (well, except tax and bankruptcy judges, but those are irrelevant for these purposes) serves subject to good behavior.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    I hate you.

    You are wrong.

    You cannot have an objective opinion, stop doing that.

    that's his point

    he's half-jokingly saying that the Wall's badness is a true fact

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    I hate you.

    You are wrong.

    You cannot have an objective opinion, stop doing that.

    In the case of The Wall, you can if you think it's terrible. Because it is. Objectively.

    CmgpQ.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    pledging allegiance to flags seems so archaic

    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    the lack of ammo in FO:NV is infuriating
    You have to search everything, and limit yourself to only a few guns, so you can break down ammo for guns you don't have and make reloads for guns you have.

    In the beginning. By your early to mid teens you're swimming in ammo though.

    sigtk.jpg
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have to say, now, as an adult, I don't really have an issue with the pledge.

    It is good to take pride in the place where you live.

    It is unfortunate that overzealousness of the proud sometimes has the opposite effect on the people around them.

  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    I hate you.

    You are wrong.

    You cannot have an objective opinion, stop doing that.

    If it's predicated on something objective, sure. Like the loudness wars are objectively terrible.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i have lived in texas all but 2 years of my life and had no idea we had our own pledge

    overblown?

    http://law.onecle.com/texas/education/25.082.00.html
    (b)  The board of trustees of each school district shall 
    require students, once during each school day at each school in the 
    district, to recite:
    		(1)  the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag 
    in accordance with 4 U.S.C. Section 4, and its subsequent 
    amendments;  and
    		(2)  the pledge of allegiance to the state flag in 
    accordance with Subchapter C, Chapter 3100, Government Code.
    	(c)  On written request from a student's parent or guardian, 
    a school district shall excuse the student from reciting a pledge of 
    allegiance under Subsection (b).
    	(d)  The board of trustees of each school district shall 
    provide for the observance of one minute of silence at each school 
    in the district following the recitation of the pledges of 
    allegiance to the United States and Texas flags under Subsection
    

    Acted in 1995. That's why.

    919UOwT.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    pledging allegiance to flags seems so archaic

    Less archaic than pledging allegiance to people, which was the old version. Actually, I think Commonwealth citizens sometimes still have to swear loyalty to the Queen. I'm almost certain Governors-General do.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

    worth pointing out that the US politicizes their courts to the point that you can't trust them to enforce the law sanely because it might harm their re-election campaign

    Then the system is flawed, not the law.

    One is naturally a lot easier to change than the other but a flawed system is no way to govern people in the long-term.

    I think most western countries should go about updating their systems of government. Won't happen, but Government 2.0 would be nice.

    ProfM. I hate you. A lot.

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, MrMister, if gay kids had worn shirts calling for the death of straight kids, that would be okay, too?

  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    I have to say, now, as an adult, I don't really have an issue with the pledge.

    It is good to take pride in the place where you live.

    It is unfortunate that overzealousness of the proud sometimes has the opposite effect on the people around them.

    Aint nothin wrong with shoving gold medals in other countries faces


    also USA USA USA is a pretty rad chant

    all other country chants suck in comparison

    919UOwT.png
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey [chat]. Work put me on the late shift semi-permanently and I find it much more agreeable than the early one. Good news!

    2s1aeds.png
    steam ID: stevemarks44
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

    I tend to think, in general, that you should be able to at least make an educated guess as to whether engaging in a given activity breaks the law.

    My issues with the UK legislation are also a lot to do with the fact that they were basically crafted entirely and specifically to appease tabloid ire directed at Abu Hamza. The fact that in doing so he was elevated from everyday crank to legendary figure is also something of an annoyance.

  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I pretty much used to be able to sing the entirety of the wall from memory...

    I will still sing certain songs randomly if they pop in my head.

  • CindersCinders And all the pieces matter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We should just kill all the kids.

    It's the only way to make everyone happy.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    anarchy38.png

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    We should just kill all the kids.

    It's the only way to make everyone happy.
    Easier to kill all the old people, and has the same result.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Eye of the beholder. Given the timing, and that it was probably Leviticus 20:13 since that will fit on a t-shirt, then it's not an unreasonable assumption. If you bring a tee-shirt calling for gays to be killed during an anti-gay bullying event, it does send a certain message.

    The legal definition cannot simply be the eye of the beholder. Some beholders are batshit crazy. As I understand, laws like this generally key to what a reasonable person would think or feel in such-and-such a situation. The reasonable qualifier is important here.

    Leviticus sends the message that you are a hateful goose, but it doesn't send the message "I'm going to beat the shit out of you" unless several other conditions are met. Otherwise I would be afraid to stand next to Jim DeMint. I'm not, of course, I just hate him.

    The reasonable requirement doesn't mean that the administrator has to believe violence will happen. Simply that it's more likely to happen. Or that he'll end up with a sufficient enough of a screaming match that class will be disrupted. Is it really that unreasonable to believe that those t-shirts wouldn't be seen as aggressively confrontational given the raised emotional levels? Even Tinker leaves that as an out for school administrators. And we're also debating this as if the students in question are "good" students. For all we know they may not be. If they or one has a history of fighting then it's without question the right call to make.

  • CindersCinders And all the pieces matter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Galahad wrote: »
    I have to say, now, as an adult, I don't really have an issue with the pledge.

    It is good to take pride in the place where you live.

    It is unfortunate that overzealousness of the proud sometimes has the opposite effect on the people around them.

    Aint nothin wrong with shoving gold medals in other countries faces


    also USA USA USA is a pretty rad chant

    all other country chants suck in comparison

    Our cool chant doesn't make up for us having a shitty anthem.

  • HonkHonk Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    ProfM. I hate you. A lot.

    u objectively mad

    CmgpQ.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

    How could it ever be a bad thing?

    Because "hate speech" is a hell of a nebulous term.

    That's why you gotta trust your courts of law to be able to make that distinction.

    I tend to think, in general, that you should be able to at least make an educated guess as to whether engaging in a given activity breaks the law.

    My issues with the UK legislation are also a lot to do with the fact that they were basically crafted entirely and specifically to appease tabloid ire directed at Abu Hamza. The fact that in doing so he was elevated from everyday crank to legendary figure is also something of an annoyance.

    I wish all tabloids would just die.

    All of them.

    Also all politically biased newspapers.

    They are worthless, how are you meant to form a valid opinion about an issue if the data has already been processed to favour one party over another?

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

    The Wall is objectively terrible. :P

    It's not even a Pink Floyd record, even.

    I hate you.

    You are wrong.

    You cannot have an objective opinion, stop doing that.

    In the case of The Wall, you can if you think it's terrible. Because it is. Objectively.

    I really do have reasons for not liking it.

    For one, it's a Roger Waters album, and that guy is shit without Gilmour. Secondly, it's the worst kind of concept album. The kind where themes are used without variation, pointless songs to move the "story" along, and, probably one of the worst crimes committed against music, this is the album with Run like Hell on it. Also at the point in time of The Wall Water's singing voice had grown into this really nasally and unlistenable whine. Finally, it's way way waaaaay too 80's in it's production.

    Now. There are some really good songs on that album. Sadly 5 songs out of... what? 27 total? Yeah. That's not a good album.

    QlBGc.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    pledging allegiance to flags seems so archaic

    The lesson I took away from my youthful experience of pledges was essentially that they are things nobody ever expects anybody to take seriously.

This discussion has been closed.