As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you missed ultimate comics spider-man:o

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you missed ultimate comics spider-man:o

Crap! Fixed it now.

Solar on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would take Power Girl off that list. Yeah, it was really great during the Conner run but now it just feels like blah.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    How did Cassandra not make it into that timeline? You'd think Steph would make note of her.

She retconned herself out of being Robin, too.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would take Power Girl off that list. Yeah, it was really great during the Conner run but now it just feels like blah.

Havn't read the new run but it looks OK. I pretty much mean the Conner run though yeah.

I mean, if we're talking about what's good now, then hald of Marvel's books dissapear. Herc, Nova and Guardians are over, and Fraction's Thor is a serious dip in quality.

Solar on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    no it isn't.

the fuck.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    no it isn't.

the fuck.

Well, it is for me. But I'm not alone in saying that the writing of Thor's character seems very off.

Solar on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm reading Fraction's Thor run in trade format so I won't judge how he's being written right now but pretty much every Thor book Fraction's written before I've loved.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm reading Fraction's Thor run in trade format so I won't judge how he's being written right now but pretty much every Thor book Fraction's written before I've loved.

Ages of Thunder was really great, and based on that I was really looking forward to Fraction's run, but so far it's not been great, Thor's character has felt overy off, and as I've said the whole Loki resurrection thing doesn't work for me at all.

I mean apart from that the whole idea of those beings coming across the dimensions to attack Asgard is pretty cool and the sci-fi feel has come back which I like lots more than fantasy Thor, but it's not as good as Gillen or Straczynski, and not as good as Fraction's other Thor stuff.

Solar on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll start Batman, Batgirl, and Thor. This will likely lead into me buying dozens of trades to catch up the story lines, until I eventually explode.

admanb on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure it goes without say that Batman trades that are required on every shelf, Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: The Killing Joke. After that Batman and Robin has been solid.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man, Uncanny has an utter crap load of continuity behind it (which makes sense given it's over 500 issues long) but I'd say issue 475 is a good starting point if you're really interested. But if you just want to read what Gillen has written for Marvel so far there's the excellent Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter trade, volumes 4-6 of the current Thor run (the first 3 are well worth reading btw), the S.W.O.R.D. trade, and the Dark Avengers: Ares collection.

Edit: Actually, issue 500 of Uncanny might be a better jumping on point for you. Skip issues 475 through 499 and pick up House of M and Messiah Complex instead.

Just to confirm...

Thor v.4 = Thor: Latverian Prometheus
    Thor v.5 = Thor: Siege
    Thor v.6 = Thor: Siege Aftermath

Right?

Comics are complicated...

admanb on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Man, Uncanny has an utter crap load of continuity behind it (which makes sense given it's over 500 issues long) but I'd say issue 475 is a good starting point if you're really interested. But if you just want to read what Gillen has written for Marvel so far there's the excellent Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter trade, volumes 4-6 of the current Thor run (the first 3 are well worth reading btw), the S.W.O.R.D. trade, and the Dark Avengers: Ares collection.

Edit: Actually, issue 500 of Uncanny might be a better jumping on point for you. Skip issues 475 through 499 and pick up House of M and Messiah Complex instead.

Just to confirm...

Thor v.4 = Thor: Latverian Prometheus
    Thor v.5 = Thor: Siege
    Thor v.6 = Thor: Siege Aftermath

Right?

Comics are complicated...

Yes, that's right.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Thor: Siege aftermath trade gets released in the direct market on Wednesday so be sure to see if your LCS has ordered it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tex is gonna be so mad.

Really, Moonstone's behavior didn't strike me as especially terrible. If anything, I'd think she'd get the boot for not helping Songbird during the prison break-out.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ha, I can't wait to see Crossbones try to blow off Steve's head. I wonder if he'll miss or simply find himself unable to activate his new power.

Or maybe Ghost saves Cap, and then the two become best friends.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think its more likely Steve blocks it with his energy shield and just kicks Crossbone's head in.

Furu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    See, Moonstone and USAgent will save everyone when they fight the Avengers and get their novice heads kicked in. And hey, Moonstone helped out Man-Thing, she just knew Songbird's current hairstyle has to die; if that means Melissa has to die to, well, she brought it on herself.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Astonishing Thor #1

Mike Choi's art looks different, like its colored over the pencils (and it doesn't look like Oback's coloring either).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ian Churchill's Marineman #1 preview

here is an interview with Churchill about the story

And the comic was well received in this podcast here (at the 1hr 38 minute mark). Those guys are two lawyers in Scotland who do pretty good reviews of comics (one of them was the guy who did the well-regarded X-Axis review site regarding mainly X-Men comics).

It comes out this Thursday, and looks like it should be what Aquaman could have been a few reboots ago. The dude's name is Steve Ocean, and he's a hero with his own Discovery Channel type show. And Churchill's new style looks a lot more appealing than it did in those Hulk issues he drew.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Orc Stain vol 1 trade is coming out, and the entire first issue is the preview for it.
    Behold.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    James Stokoe is an absolutely amazing, terrifying artist. I loved Wonton Soup - absolutely the best space trucker food opera you will ever read, although I thought volume 2 wasn't as strong as the first one.

Definitely gonna pick up the Orc Stain trade.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What issues are in the Orc Stain trade

6 still isn't out yet

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It contains issues 1-5, apparently.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Avengers: Prime #5 preview.

Holy crap that art looks gorgeous.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah both art and writing-wise Prime has been the best Bendis Avengers book by far

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm holding out for the trade, but Strange Tales II #3 looks pretty good. It has James Stokoe's Galactus and Silver Surfer story!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want Strange Tales so bad, but with $4.99 and the inevitable $20 trade, I'm gonna pick up the trade.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Who is Jake Ellis?

Looks like a lot of fun, and Tonci Zonjic's a fantastic artist.

Munch on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Who is Jake Ellis?

Looks like a lot of fun, and Tonci Zonjic's a fantastic artist.

I am going to read the fuck outta that! Its kinda Jason Bourne with a touch of Hit Monkey. Which is awesome.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Avengers #8 preview

Those three pages kind of sum up the worst parts about Bendis' writing. Xavier hasn't been the mutant leader for a good long time, Tony doesn't read like Tony (and should just say to each person "infinity gems stolen" to avoid forced confusion), and I thought Reed found out Blackbolt died in FF a few months back, way back in the second or third Hickman arc. The Blackbolt groupies waiting for his return and all that.

Though I love JRjr drawing Lockjaw again, he always draws him like he does Kingpin; a big focal point of the page.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I've heard a lot of mixed things about BMB, and I get that there are issues there, but those pages still seem awesome. Should I start reading Avengers, or New Avengers, or both?

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If you never read Bendis' DD run, start with that. IMO it's his best superhero work to date (even better than his Ultimate Spider-Man work which is also great).

None of the current Avengers and New Avengers really go anywhere. A big complaint of Avengers is that for a 6 issue arc the team just sits around for 3-4 issues. And New Avengers is kind of the same thing only instead of time travel it's magic.

If you never read the first New Avengers series, it was actually pretty good up to Civil War, which was up to #20. The stories had flaws (#16 is a terrible issue that has a multitude of flaws but that's for the bitching thread), but it seemed like Bendis was writing it because he wanted to, and that it was his priority title, it didn't just become another title on his list of books to write that month. And New Avengers Annual #1 is one of Bendis' best Avengers issues to date.

And while the book became inconsequential because of delays, the first two arcs of Mighty Avengers were rather good. Bendis goes overboard with thought bubbles but the ideas for the characters and villains was good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bendis is great when it comes to regular Super-heroes like Spidey and Luke Cage and Daredevil who have to deal with regular problems.

He is pretty crappy when it comes to high level superheroics. He tries to make it like street level stuff when it just isn't, and his dialogue style fits some characters great but for others it is just too cute (being too cute is something Bendis has been doing rather a bit lately).

I like him but he is better writing street-level stuff. That said the recent Avengers stuff (not New New Avengers so much though) has been pretty good.

Solar on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the problem with those pages seeming awesome, adam, is the fact that for 3 or so issues, that is the most tension and drama there will be in the entire arc

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Though I love JRjr drawing Lockjaw again, he always draws him like he does Kingpin; a big focal point of the page.

What?

It literally looks like poop

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's how he was drawn in the Nocenti/JRjr era of Deadpool. He's about 5 times the size Ig Guara or even when Paul Pelletier drew him.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am contractually obligated to post these pages from X-Men: Serve and Protect #2
    xmsap002_int_lr_0003.jpg
    xmsap002_int_lr_0004.jpg

Other stories in the issue feature team-ups between the Stepford Cuckoos and Spider-Man, Colossus and Iron Man, and X-23 and Ghost Rider.

Furu on