As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BigMan-ification

• Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yea, I got up to 200, but it was pretty shitty form. Here's hoping that you can just keep dominating those squats. Keep eating!

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Whoo whoo.

<-- Proud new owner of a 130 lb. overhead press. Should be able to go in next Friday and finally put on a pair of Big Boy Plates!

As an aside, though: will supplementing with L-glutamine affect my cutting at all? The way Kako / wook were explaining it, it sounds strictly like it can only help, but all this promotional stuff about it being "anti-catabolic" has me wondering if it could interfere in any way with losing adipose tissue. Probably not, I'm guessing, but I'm not sure.

Just a thought, but if you have any spare time, auditing a biochem class at your local community college or whatever will open up a whole new world of understanding into this type of shit

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    Congrats, I know how finally strapping on some plates feels awesome.

I'm curious to see how long I can keep my squat progression up without having to do a form reset or hitting a sticking point; I've gone from no squatting to 3x5 @185 without too much trouble but it seems like I'm going to have to start sticking somewhere, right?

Depends on how much you're eating. :P

I'm a big fat beast of a man for the first time in my life but I put a ton of weight on my squat in a very short time.

There's probably a middle ground somewhere in there!

adytum on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got a new injury thursday that's been getting me a bit still today. So from rugby I had shinsplints going, felt like a bruise right by the bone in my shins. Today I've got that in my left forearm, exact same feeling. Just that bruise kind of feeling right next to the bone, really sucks.

BUT! Crazy week, my usual lifts only weds my leg day I went out and lifted with a buddy who's a crossfit guy. He's certified with barbells and kettles so went out and had him go over things with me and talked a bunch about all this sort of thing, which is awesome since no one I know and see normally is really into it.

I completely re-learned deadlifts, learned how to powerclean and realized I was trying to go too heavy on the bench and that was what was causing problems there. Also, talking to him, I tried a crossfit workout, just a small three round one, 5 deadlifts, 10 push ups, 15 kettleball swings, and while I definitely definitely stick to the problems we commonly talk about here with it, I have to say, it was pretty fun. The weight stays a bit low, you can still watch your form if you keep a focus on it and it's just kinda fun. Not something I'm going to do regularly but I get it a bit now. He's doing some cross fit work outs and switching to 5/3/1 for strength gains, basically he enjoys the cross fit work outs and speeding through with lighter weight and doesnt want to quit doing that since it's fun but he wants to build more strength so he's doing 5/3/1 basically with crossfit as an accessory.

Anyways, very cool stuff there, he was real helpful, I'm still not a crossfit fan but it was kinda cool to give it a shot and learn some things. In other news, I found out an 8 time womens world champion power lifter works out at my gym, I was talking to a guy using the rubber weights, which they keep locked up, and there's a group of them there that paid for their own gear and have a little corner of the gym. He said he'd see if he could introduce me and get me into that so that could be pretty sweet.

But 2 days rest for me, I'm beat, have a good workout.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Whoo whoo.

<-- Proud new owner of a 130 lb. overhead press. Should be able to go in next Friday and finally put on a pair of Big Boy Plates!

As an aside, though: will supplementing with L-glutamine affect my cutting at all? The way Kako / wook were explaining it, it sounds strictly like it can only help, but all this promotional stuff about it being "anti-catabolic" has me wondering if it could interfere in any way with losing adipose tissue. Probably not, I'm guessing, but I'm not sure.

Just a thought, but if you have any spare time, auditing a biochem class at your local community college or whatever will open up a whole new world of understanding into this type of shit

I took Nutrition as a required science credit (hoo-ray loose standards for an AA!). It was a lot of stuff that I knew already, and the professor made the course way too easy, though I don't fault him given it was a one-night-a-week evening class. You'd think I'd be up on the Krebs cycle and stuff now, but I have no idea how it works anymore.

Also: that course lead me to believe that dietary fat turns directly into body fat (which got me a severe mocking in this channel, incidentally)... so I don't know how much faith I could put in anything else I learned from that class anyhow.
    Invincible wrote: »
    Oh man guys, I did weighted dips for the first time today. I was dominated. It felt silly with just a 10lb weight, but soon I will conquer it. Other than that, I'm up to 160lb ass to grass squats after dropping weight to work on form. It's pretty neat-o to not have hip pain while squatting anymore.

I'm up to +45 lbs. on dips, for about 5-6 reps.

Dips are like my favorite exercise. <3

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wooooooooooooooo I ran my first 10K today, and it was not a race but a prep for the half marathon in January.

2 months ago i couldn't go half that, i hope im not going too fast. Also damn do I eat a lot now.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am beating busses up hills on my bike

It's during rush hour, but I'm still stoked. Cardiorespiratory adaptations, GO!

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ham, you overthink fucking everything. The absolute last thing you need is a course in how to overthink more. Just shut up and go do it. I'm now one of the strongest guys in this thread, from a total wimp, and I didn't do it by theorizing about diets or asking 50,000 irrelevant questions, or by doing any kind of stupid fad training, be it HIIT, crossfit or any of that. I did it by going to the gym and adding 5 lbs to the bar every time, and eating. It really is that simple and I am getting tired of these stupid academic discussions about things that aren't helping anyone here because we haven't come close to maxing out our capabilities by good old-fashioned hard work.

This doesn't go just for Ham. There are a few people here who I think are talking way too much about details when the details aren't going to help them because they haven't learned to bust their ass yet.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Ham, you overthink fucking everything. The absolute last thing you need is a course in how to overthink more. Just shut up and go do it. I'm now one of the strongest guys in this thread, from a total wimp, and I didn't do it by theorizing about diets or asking 50,000 irrelevant questions, or by doing any kind of stupid fad training, be it HIIT, crossfit or any of that. I did it by going to the gym and adding 5 lbs to the bar every time, and eating. It really is that simple and I am getting tired of these stupid academic discussions about things that aren't helping anyone here because we haven't come close to maxing out our capabilities by good old-fashioned hard work.

This doesn't go just for Ham. There are a few people here who I think are talking way too much about details when the details aren't going to help them because they haven't learned to bust their ass yet.

Agree with this.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    The most important thing I learned about lifting was "keep showing up"

Tube on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's amazing what can happen after lifting consistently heavier weights for a few months straight. Especially with a bit of eating better thrown in.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yaaay, I'm up to ~165 lbs. Up from something like 135 at the start of the summer. Hopefully I get to my goal of 175 by the end of the year. I might miss it by a week or two due to finals fucking everything up, but maybe all the holidays between now and then will make up for that. I'm gonna eat so much turkey this Thanksgiving.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    So I've been doing 5-3-1, and I think I have go for the "harder" routine he presents. I've been doing the 10% steps between sets (i.e., week one is 65, 75 and 85%) and it's just not working for me. I'm on the 1+ week, and I'm getting 3-4 reps on things that I know I can do 5+ on. I think heavier weights in the first two sets will prepare me better for the final, or at least I hope so. Anyone else get anything similar?

Oh hey Duck, just looking through the start of this and noticed that I felt similar through my first session of 5/3/1. Was thinking I'd just tough it out and see if that got better with practice, but I'm curious to hear what you ended up doing.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Hey, whoa whoa.

A) What was I overthinking? The last thing I asked (which I presume was the last straw for you and triggered this rant) was if supplementing with glutamine would interfere with trying to cut body-fat. Kako answered the question succinctly, and there was no "stupid academic discussion."

B) I have been going to the gym and doing my workouts consistently. I don't know if you're accusing me of not being committed enough or what.

C) I'm asking questions about diet because I'm trying to cut. I'm not focused on gaining strength (or at least, it's not my primary motivation anymore -- though a few of my lifts have gone up in just the past month) because, and I realize this will be somewhat controversial... I don't really care about having a 400 lb. squat. Like I guess it might be nice, but I only started lifting because I was trying to look better.

And the best route I see towards looking better is by cutting the last bit of flab that I've still got on me. Which would be why I ask the diet questions -- though I don't know if I've asked "50,000" of them, or even a lot of them.

In fact, I wish I only cared about getting stronger, because things would be as simple as you say: I'd just have to eat a lot, lift a lot, and sleep a lot.

But as it stands, I've done the standard things you're supposed to do on a cut (keep lifting to retain lean mass, run a caloric deficit, watch carbs, etc.) and while I've made a good bit of progress, I've hit a plateau of fat loss and am now scrambling and tweaking things to try and keep the fat coming off. The only other option I have left is to drastically increase my cardio to see if that doesn't get the ball rolling again.

D) What's wrong with knowledge? Just because all I "need" to know to keep getting stronger is to lift heavy and add weight every session, eat a caloric surplus with lots of protein and veggies, and get a lot of rest... it doesn't mean I should shut put my fingers in my ears when people start talking about physiology or alternative workout routines. Having a broader base of knowledge never hurt anyone.

If the "stupid academic discussions" aren't your thing, then just don't participate, man.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What Ham said. I'm up 35 lbs or so of muscle this year, I started off not knowing shit and figured things out by asking questions, a lot of them here, and got a lot of help. If you don't like the question/answer ignore it and go on with your day. I want to pick up every useful tidbit I can, as well as some random useless shit.
    Just saying "I'm bigger than you and didn't ask these questions to get that way' doesn't cut it, just let him do his thing and do yours.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I think it's a valid point. A lot of people run around in circles tinkering with the 5% when what they should be focusing on is getting the 95% right. Consistent lifting, progression, diet. I'm not levelling that at anyone in particular, it just seems to be a common occurance.

Ain't nothing wrong with asking questions though. And I actually have one which I would like some thoughts on, specifically, essential fatty acid levels in cans of tuna - today I was comparing three cans of tuna. All the same stuff but tinned in either springwater, oil or brine. They all had comparable protein contents (oil was slightly higher, springwater and brine identical). Fat content, oil was obviously much higher. What I don't understand is that EPA and DHA levels in springwater and brine were almost double the tuna in oil.

Riddle me that, bigmen.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think it's a valid point. A lot of people run around in circles tinkering with the 5% when what they should be focusing on is getting the 95% right. Consistent lifting, progression, diet. I'm not levelling that at anyone in particular, it just seems to be a common occurance.

Ain't nothing wrong with asking questions though. And I actually have one which I would like some thoughts on, specifically, essential fatty acid levels in cans of tuna - today I was comparing three cans of tuna. All the same stuff but tinned in either springwater, oil or brine. They all had comparable protein contents (oil was slightly higher, springwater and brine identical). Fat content, oil was obviously much higher. What I don't understand is that EPA and DHA levels in springwater and brine were almost double the tuna in oil.

Riddle me that, bigmen.

No, I get it, there's big basics that need to be in place, I just don't think anyone should come out and say "your question isn't valid because it's not as big of an issue as _____." Just answer the question or ignore it.
    And I have no idea on the tuna thing, that's pretty odd.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    What I don't understand is that EPA and DHA levels in springwater and brine were almost double the tuna in oil.

Riddle me that, bigmen.

/shrug

I just get my EPA + DHA from my liquid fish oil supplementing. 800mg of EPA and 500mg of DHA.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think people also need to remember that not everyone has the same goals and if someone isn't doing the same thing you are, it's ok. As long as they're not going to hurt themselves or causing problems for you, let people do what they want to. Even if it is Crossfit or something else.

But consistency and patience are the two most important things you need for any sort of exercise program, whether your trying to get stronger, faster or if your trying to do a double century on the bike. Nothing except major chemical assistance will get you results in a few weeks.

Badger: Oil leaches the fatty acids from fish, so oil packed tuna has less EPA/DHA in the tuna than water packed tuna. They had the same levels when they were packed in the can, but the oil packed tuna has a chunk of the fatty acids in the oil once you open it up.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    So I've been doing 5-3-1, and I think I have go for the "harder" routine he presents. I've been doing the 10% steps between sets (i.e., week one is 65, 75 and 85%) and it's just not working for me. I'm on the 1+ week, and I'm getting 3-4 reps on things that I know I can do 5+ on. I think heavier weights in the first two sets will prepare me better for the final, or at least I hope so. Anyone else get anything similar?

Oh hey Duck, just looking through the start of this and noticed that I felt similar through my first session of 5/3/1. Was thinking I'd just tough it out and see if that got better with practice, but I'm curious to hear what you ended up doing.

I went with the harder progression and it has worked well for some things and not for others. Squat and deadlift have DEFINITELY improved after switching, because sometimes I was going thirty pounds between the second and third sets, and just wasn't prepared for the weight. It would be one thing if I was just going for one, but for the max set it was costing me reps. For bench and press, however, it doesn't seem to have affected my sets up or down. I guess that's good, because it means I move more total weight, and I definitely feel it more the next day.

That said, I guess the point of 5/3/1 is how it adds up over time, so the first month probably shouldn't be taken as an indicator of how strenuous the program will be. I think he even says so. I'm gonna go with the harder program until I have to reset, though, which if things keep going as they are shouldn't be until February at the earliest.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You keep this up A duck!, and soon enough you will look like Conan (the Barbarian, not the funny ginger).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, after my Mexican steroid holiday.

A duck! on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm really curious about his new book, the 5-3-1 for Powerlifters. I might get it when it comes out to see what I can do when I go back to a more involved program.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, Ham. My point is just that for pretty much everyone here, the 3% bonus we get by taking fish oil or BCAAs or glutamine or eat low carbs vs high carbs isn't going to make any noticeable difference because (likely) none of us have maxed out on our "natural" abilities to kick ass simply by working hard. There are some people here who are into gimmicks, and you're one of them, but they're not going to make a huge difference. The reason your cut stalled is that you were eating way too little. Duck got ripped on 1800 calories a day, and you were down at 1000. That shit won't work. Focus on getting the big stuff right first is my point, and that goes for everyone. Supplements and low carb/high carb/atkins/whatever diets won't do shit if your basic plan isn't solid, but I feel like the discussion is edging towards regarding them as miracle-cures at times.

I was a bit too harsh, though, and I am sorry for that, Ham.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm really curious about his new book, the 5-3-1 for Powerlifters. I might get it when it comes out to see what I can do when I go back to a more involved program.

I am with you on this. He set out the basic gist of the changes to the program in this article. I really enjoyed the original book, and am interested to hear his views on meets, equipment and the like.

I can think of sillier ways to throw away $20.

t Kak: Thanks man. Damn tuna had me stumped there.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's cool.

As a perpetual foppish dandy, I make it a point to get along with the guys who are much bigger than me. ;)

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I am with you on this. He set out the basic gist of the changes to the program in this article. I really enjoyed the original book, and am interested to hear his views on meets, equipment and the like.

I can think of sillier ways to throw away $20.

t Kak: Thanks man. Damn tuna had me stumped there.

This seems apropo to the thread from that article.
    • Strength Component (the 5/3/1 lifts)
    • Hypertrophy Component (the assistance lifts)

• Conditioning (sprinting, hill sprints, etc.)

"The first thing you need to do is figure out what your goal is. Once you do this, you can determine your priorities, which determines how much time you devote to each component.

So if you want to get stronger, you prioritize the strength lifts more and pull back on the other two. If you want to get bigger, you prioritize hypertrophy and do less low rep training and sprinting.

But at NO time, ever, should you dump one of those three things completely. That's when you can potentially run into problems."

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gaaah i hate working out alooone but i'm gonna have to start if i wanna do it regularly. :|

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Picked up 5/3/1, read it today, going to get everything figured out and start it next week. It's a very good read. I had been thinking I had been trying to lift too heavy, reading this makes me realize I haven't though enough about my rep maxes throughout. Kinda excited about it, plus a 4 day program as opposed to a 5 is sounding really good, I can just feel that my body is toast after day 5 some weeks.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    At the risk of bunching some panties..

Since I'm out of lifting for a few weeks while my back rests, I'm officially beginning to try to drop some weight. As I've never really tried to lose weight before, I'm starting up some pretty strict regimentation for science.

As mentioned I'll be giving carb cycling a shot, mostly because I think it will be fun and at least a bit interesting to see the results. I'm stocking up on food today and getting myself a small notebook to keep track of meals in. I want to be hitting (I guess..) around 1,800 - 2,000 calories a day.

My workout schedule will be

Sunday Morning: Interval Sled Drags / Interval Sprints / Interval Stair Runs (Interchangeable depending on access to sports fields / bleachers)
    Monday Afternoon: Elliptical Cardio
    Wednesday Night: Interval Hill Sprints
    Friday Afternoon: Elliptical Cardio
    Saturday Morning: Interval Sled Drags / Interval Sprints / Interval Stair Runs (Interchangeable depending on access to sports fields / bleachers)

I weighed in at 197.5 this afternoon. I'd expect to drop down to the mid 180's without any effort. Hopefully with some effort I can get back to 180 or lower and preserve the majority of the squat and deadlift power from the last few weeks.

I'll be assessing results mid-December.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do you have access to an erg? When I used to cut (many, many years ago, mind you), I found a couple days of intervals or long pieces on the erg really helped me cut fast and keep the strength.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do you have access to an erg? When I used to cut (many, many years ago, mind you), I found a couple days of intervals or long pieces on the erg really helped me cut fast and keep the strength.

My gym has a few, though I don't know what kind- I'll check when I stop by tomorrow. I also have an old, simple rowing machine at home. I'll keep them in mind for a few weeks out, but right now resting my back is a priority.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure erging with a bad back is a great idea...

Also, expect to lose some strength on your lifts, but for them to go back up very quickly.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, Ham. My point is just that for pretty much everyone here, the 3% bonus we get by taking fish oil or BCAAs or glutamine or eat low carbs vs high carbs isn't going to make any noticeable difference because (likely) none of us have maxed out on our "natural" abilities to kick ass simply by working hard. There are some people here who are into gimmicks, and you're one of them, but they're not going to make a huge difference. The reason your cut stalled is that you were eating way too little. Duck got ripped on 1800 calories a day, and you were down at 1000. That shit won't work. Focus on getting the big stuff right first is my point, and that goes for everyone. Supplements and low carb/high carb/atkins/whatever diets won't do shit if your basic plan isn't solid, but I feel like the discussion is edging towards regarding them as miracle-cures at times.

Don't knock nutrition. It may take a back seat to lifting and resting when it comes to strength, but it's the big dog when it comes to body composition. Keep in mind that not everybody puts a 500 DL over 8% bodyfat.

the wook on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've started getting headaches when I lift. They're only small headaches, and only when I'm doing heavy lifts, but it's still pretty annoying.

I'm fairly certain it's not my diet, because I eat healthy and drink lots of water.

Any suggestions on why this is happening/how to stop it?

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I've started getting headaches when I lift. They're only small headaches, and only when I'm doing heavy lifts, but it's still pretty annoying.

I'm fairly certain it's not my diet, because I eat healthy and drink lots of water.

Any suggestions on why this is happening/how to stop it?

can you be more descriptive?

probably an effect of lifting heavy. blood pressure spikes during the lift then plummets after. I know after a good set of squats or deads I feel like I might fall over from lack of balance.

the wook on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Like, I'm fine during my warm-up or when I'm doing cardio, but the instant I start doing bench presses, I get sort of a nagging pain in my head that stays there for the rest of the workout

it's just weird because it's never happened to me before. I've been coughing a lot this week; maybe I'm sick and that's what's making me more lightheaded than usual?

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    could be

the wook on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You could be straining your neck when you lift heavy as well. I've done that before. Ended up with an ache in the back of my head like a headache.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Only time I got headaches when I was lifting was when I took Hot-Rox (fat-burner) plus an Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy too close to my workout. It was either the caffeine or the yohimbe, but I would get massive throbbing pain in my head when trying to exert myself that literally doubled me over in agony. Realized I wasn't going to get any work done and went home.

Hamurabi on
This discussion has been closed.