As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scariest Game You've Ever Played?

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Why would you try to play a scary game at any time other than night? Shameful.

Yeah I started at dusk yesterday so mostly I played in the dark.

I've got that thing you know, where you've got a new game and you want to play it.... but I think it would be better if I wait till dark tonight to resume.

If it's not that scary then maybe I'll just play it through and return it within 7 days to exchange it for something else :p

Well if it doesn't work out for you, you should really check out Amnesia if you haven't already played it.

Endaro on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A friend of mine is about to go into the Shalebridge Cradle for the first time this weekend.

I cannot wait to hear what he thinks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I really don't consider Dead Space a scary game. Yes it made me poop my pants a lot for the first hour or so, but the scares got really repetitive. Oh look a necromorph corpse lying in a corridor that I have to walk down, I wonder if it's going to jump up at me with a loud noise when I get close.

I don't consider it scary, either. But it is very tense, and I went through most of the game expecting an ambush around every corner, with plasma cutter at the ready. When something jumped out and went skreeeee, I reacted like a coiled spring. Now, the truly effective moments were in those areas where skreeeee is just the ambient noise, and the shadows cast on the walls look exactly like necromorphs, but you never get attacked.

The only parts that really unnerved me were the
    regenerators. The first time I encountered one, when I was told to "get out of there," I didn't stop running until I got to the tram. And then I started hearing it stomping around somewhere overhead. no, nononono.
    I can get Dead Space not being creepy at all, but I don't get how Bioshock could ever be creepy.

Bioshock is not scary, but come on. Not creepy? Not even the Spider Splicers?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would you try to play a scary game at any time other than night? Shameful.

Yeah I started at dusk yesterday so mostly I played in the dark.

I've got that thing you know, where you've got a new game and you want to play it.... but I think it would be better if I wait till dark tonight to resume.

If it's not that scary then maybe I'll just play it through and return it within 7 days to exchange it for something else :p

Well if it doesn't work out for you, you should really check out Amnesia if you haven't already played it.

I decided to purchase Amnesia from steam and yes it is exactly the kind of survival horror experience game I've been looking for, thanks for the heads up.

Sad fact; the "witnessing of 'unsettling events' and wondering how they will effect my sanity" paradigm allegorically parrallels certain events in my own life.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think with bioshock, it loses a lot of it's fear factor simply because there is a lot of been there, done that, when compared to system shock 2, and in many ways, system shock did it better by building up the tension of vulnerability, and the truly alien nature of what you were dealing with.

Within the first ten minutes of bioshock, it's pretty clear that the splicers are easily dealt with. The ghosts I think also stopped being as creepy, simply because they were already done in system shock 2, and done better.

I mean hell, bioshock even pulls the old radio voice switcharoo on you, just like system shock 2 did, only in bioshock, it's still just some dude. In system shock it's a mad will exerting itself and manifesting all around you constantly.

Not to mention, xerxes is creepy as fuck, and andrew ryan is not.

reddeath on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Green wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the atmosphere in Bioshock. Cohen's masterpiece remains a level, a piece of music and a series of events in general that has stuck with me. Funny thing, I never even 'activated' the.. you know whats. Finding out that you can even do that led to a moment of dawning horror.

I have been racking my brain and I cannot figure out what you're referring to here
    The plaster splicers in Fort Frolic?

Yup. I believe you need to find an upgrade station for them to come to life, which I never found during my runthrough.

I really should replay that at some point.

What happened there was so horribly obvious that I placed mines behind myself before hitting the station. It was a short "surprise".

This doesn't work actually!

On my second playthrough, I stuck about five proximity mines on the one sitting in the chair in that room. Used the station, turned around, guy was gone and the mines were still there unexploded. I was so disappointed.

Green on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bioshock stopped being scary around the time 1) you turned invisible when not moving, 2) anytime something hit you they got stunned or killed by a massive electrical blast, and 3) your wrench became an unholy instrument of death. But everything was still unsettling and a bit mad, so I don't think anything was ruined - just didn't replicate the atmosphere of SS2 like so many hoped it would.

Also, this may have been a console port issue, but I never felt fully in control of my characters - everything was too big and chunky, and walking down a corridor would see assorted junk bouncing away from you as if it was made from cardboard. Searching bodies and containers was just holding down a button as you scoffed/stashed everything indiscriminately. Horror games need precision to feel truly immersive - you have to feel fully in control of your entity to experience the danger - which I why I still think first-person is best for the genre.

Bioptic on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bioshock was never really scary because you always knew that you'd just respawn with no penalties. And this is coming from someone who was scared of FEAR even after knowing that alma was harmless, and couldn't get more than an hour into dead space because of the atmosphere (and stupid vsync implimentation)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've finally plumped up the cash for Amnesia and Jesus Pant Shitting Christ this game is scary. I'm forcing myself to wear surround sound headphones and it's genuinely getting to me. Most scared I've been since I was 14 playing through Silent Hill 1.

Campy on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bioshock would have been tons better if they took out the re-spawning and had save points.

Krathoon on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Amnesia is the first game I've played in a long time that makes me feel like prey. I don't think I like feeling like prey.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Campy wrote: »
    I've finally plumped up the cash for Amnesia and Jesus Pant Shitting Christ this game is scary. I'm forcing myself to wear surround sound headphones and it's genuinely getting to me. Most scared I've been since I was 14 playing through Silent Hill 1.
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Amnesia is the first game I've played in a long time that makes me feel like prey. I don't think I like feeling like prey.

This is what I like to see.

Xagarath on
  • Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've never played it, but my understanding is that Manhunt did the prey thing really well for the last boss. You spend the entire game in the filthy filthy shadows being this horrific hunter, and suddenly in the last level they flip the script, and you're in an abandoned house being hunted by a serial killer with a chainsaw, who just happens to be completely naked save for a bloody pig head he's wearing as a mask.

He keeps the chainsaw off as he stalks you, then revs it up and squeals when he runs out of the shadows to attack. On top of it all, I think you lose your arsenal, and only have found pieces of glass to shiv him with while you're desperately trying to switch back to being the hunter.

I saw a LP of it, and it gets pretty tense.

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
    edited November 2010
    Well I've been enjoying the well written script of Alan wake (not really scary though) so far until now.
    I find the decision to get drunk at the Anderson farm a little bit out of character for Alan considering his objective and everything he's been through.

I am however fully down with Barry's ambition to become a "booze millionaire" :) thats one of the best laughs I've had in a while.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but King Kong had some creepy moments during the first half. The dinosaurs looked like hellbeasts under the lightning, and the centipedes would not stop D:

Turkey on
    edited November 2010
    On another note I've been multitasking while playing this game tonight but even sometimes while on pause I get this faint rustling kinda sound coming through the surround sound from various directions. I think its brilliant.

Technicus Rex on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Started playing SAW for the 360. It's not bad... It's not exactly scary, but it's very tense in some scenes. So far I'm enjoying it.

urahonky on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really don't consider Dead Space a scary game. Yes it made me poop my pants a lot for the first hour or so, but the scares got really repetitive. Oh look a necromorph corpse lying in a corridor that I have to walk down, I wonder if it's going to jump up at me with a loud noise when I get close.

I don't consider it scary, either. But it is very tense, and I went through most of the game expecting an ambush around every corner, with plasma cutter at the ready. When something jumped out and went skreeeee, I reacted like a coiled spring. Now, the truly effective moments were in those areas where skreeeee is just the ambient noise, and the shadows cast on the walls look exactly like necromorphs, but you never get attacked.

regenerators. The first time I encountered one, when I was told to "get out of there," I didn't stop running until I got to the tram. And then I started hearing it stomping around somewhere overhead. no, nononono.
    This post. The
    regenerators
    can eat a dick.

Mortal Sky on
    edited November 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

This post. The
    regenerators
    can eat a dick.

There's only one

Green on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fair enough. He's all over the place. And he can still eat a dick.

Mortal Sky on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    much worse were the Pregnant necromorphs

you know, the ones that spawned a couple dozen of the tiny fuckers if you shot it in its extremely large torso

try playing a fresh plasma-cutter run on hard mode and tell me i'm wrong

Rust on
    edited November 2010
    Just take out the legs.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Just take out the legs.

i've beaten the game already, it's a little late

usually i just put them in stasis and then picked off the limbs, but it's hard going in the beginning when your module isn't upgraded

Rust on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think part of what makes Stalker work is that it's (kind of) a sandbox game. In other games there are sequences scripted to be scary, and part of me is aware of that. In Stalker the monsters really are just doing their own thing (for the most part). It makes everything that much more impersonal, and you just another lunch for whatever monster you run into next.

Yougottawanna on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Although totally not the intent (or maybe it is), Deadly Premonition gets decidedly tense in some places.

The hospital on your first visit, for example. The operating theatre and the MRI room and corridors leading up to it all had me on the edge of the couch.

Dunxco on
    edited November 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Started playing SAW for the 360. It's not bad... It's not exactly scary, but it's very tense in some scenes. So far I'm enjoying it.

The only bad thing about the game is the combat, which can range from annoying to utter bullshit. Unless you have a stabby weapon, only use your uppercut move.

The sequel seems to have ditched the combat, and focused on puzzles. I am okay with that.

Turkey on
    edited November 2010
    Turkey wrote: »

The only bad thing about the game is the combat, which can range from annoying to utter bullshit. Unless you have a stabby weapon, only use your uppercut move.

The sequel seems to have ditched the combat, and focused on puzzles. I am okay with that.

Yeah, God, the combat is so bad. I'm a fan of the lead pipe myself. Quick attacks seem to do the job.

urahonky on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rust wrote: »

you know, the ones that spawned a couple dozen of the tiny fuckers if you shot it in its extremely large torso

Naw, the dudes with the huge glowing explosive fist are worse. They're easy enough if you see them coming, but there are time when you're backed into a corner, concentrating on picking the limbs off a swarm of approaching slashers, and then SKREEEEEEBOOOM. One pops out of an airvent above you and EVERYTHING DIES.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, God, the combat is so bad. I'm a fan of the lead pipe myself. Quick attacks seem to do the job.

The problem is bare fists are the best weapon in the game as everything else is too slow. I beat the last boss by just spamming [] over and over and there was not a damn thing he could do to retaliate.

It's a game that could have been decent but is let down by rubbish endings (no Hello Zepp music), crap combat, crap character models (Amanda looks horrible) and those stupid over done shotgun traps. Those timed circuit breaker puzzles get a bit too hard for their own good at one point in the game too.

But if you like horror games and the Saw series it's worth playing.

Moioink on
    edited November 2010
    Of course, if you like Saw for some baffling reason you should just go watch the better films it ripped off instead.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2010
    Moioink wrote: »

The problem is bare fists are the best weapon in the game as everything else is too slow. I beat the last boss by just spamming [] over and over and there was not a damn thing he could do to retaliate.

It's a game that could have been decent but is let down by rubbish endings (no Hello Zepp music), crap combat, crap character models (Amanda looks horrible) and those stupid over done shotgun traps. Those timed circuit breaker puzzles get a bit too hard for their own good at one point in the game too.

:x
    Fucking shotgun traps

Turkey on
    edited November 2010
    Of course, if you like Saw for some baffling reason you should just go watch the better films it ripped off instead.

If there's another several part horror film series with all sorts of crazy twists with big reveals at the end of each then I'd love to know about it.

The "torture porn" is not why I love Saw, I like it best when people escape the traps.

Moioink on
    edited November 2010

If there's another several part horror film series with all sorts of crazy twists with big reveals at the end of each then I'd love to know about it.

The "big reveal" of 3-6 was that they were all taking place at the same time

Unless you meant the big reveal where Jigsaw says something cryptic but you don't find out until the very end while the theme music blares over the protagonist being killed intercut with bits of "clue" dialogue that it was supposed to be taken literally, which happens in every single goddamn one

Green on
    edited November 2010
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »

Naw, the dudes with the huge glowing explosive fist are worse. They're easy enough if you see them coming, but there are time when you're backed into a corner, concentrating on picking the limbs off a swarm of approaching slashers, and then SKREEEEEEBOOOM. One pops out of an airvent above you and EVERYTHING DIES.

are you kidding, i love those things

pop pop BOOM

and if my aim goes screwy, nine times out of ten i just get a handy explosive projectile for later

i have gotten ambushed and insta-killed by them a few times, but that happens with all necromorphs

but god, i just hated those enemies in general

none of them were scary

they were all just really annoying with the shouting and the yelling and the running and the jumping

Rust on
    edited November 2010

:x
    Fucking shotgun traps

Right now I have the fucking camera for a light and it's absolutely fucking terrible.

urahonky on
    edited November 2010
    Green wrote: »

The "big reveal" of 3-6 was that they were all taking place at the same time

Unless you meant the big reveal where Jigsaw says something cryptic but you don't find out until the very end while the theme music blares over the protagonist being killed intercut with bits of "clue" dialogue that it was supposed to be taken literally, which happens in every single goddamn one

Only 3 and 4 were.

If you want to be cynical about it, fine. They've all been good ways to spend a november evening for me. It's a coherent story spread out over 7 films with no major plot holes and some fun reveals tying them all together.

Moioink on
    edited November 2010
    Right now I have the fucking camera for a light and it's absolutely fucking terrible.

It is yes. It would have been cool as part of a puzzle but it fails miserably as a light source. The cigarette lighter is the best IMO.

Moioink on
    edited November 2010

It is yes. It would have been cool as part of a puzzle but it fails miserably as a light source. The cigarette lighter is the best IMO.

Is there a way to get rid of the camera and go back to the lighter? The lighter at least let me see at a constant rate, not once every 10 seconds.

urahonky on
    edited November 2010
    Also I'd like to point out that I absolutely hated the Saw movies after 1.

urahonky on
    edited November 2010

Is there a way to get rid of the camera and go back to the lighter? The lighter at least let me see at a constant rate, not once every 10 seconds.

Yep the 3 different light sources (you can hold only one at a time) are obtainable at various points in the game so you can pick up another lighter eventually.

Moioink on