As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

80's music is [chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    What the heck is up with that grip?

Going to take a wild guess and suggest it is some kind of weird workaround so that it doesn't count as a "pistol grip".

That's exactly it.

Finally, a practical application for rules lawyering.

japan on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My BFA is in metal and fiber work. If you've ever got any questions or just want to talk shop I'm game.

So you're one of the people filling the art department with grinding sounds while we're in the studio.

Heh. I focused on fine metals for the most part in addition to spending time in the fiber studio, so not so much grinding noises. That'd be the large-scale bronze casters. My work was more quiet rasping while sawing and sanding, quiet whirring while drilling, or whispery sounds while weaving or doing other fiber things. I think the loudest things were the Oxy Acetyline torches and when the music was turned up in the studio.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Buy her a gun and put it behind glass that says "Break in Case of Zombie Apocolypse" Bitches love that stuff.

This would perhaps be one of the worst presents someone could get me. D:

What are you allergic to glass breaking? You take all the fun out of things!

Extreme phobia of guns. Really, really bad one.

Bob they have starter guns for people with your condition.

KittyRifle.jpg

Well for starters it's not real.
    Actually...

hellokitty_ar15assault_1.jpg
    That must be a photoshop.

HelloKittyParts.jpg

Silly yes. Photoshop no.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    If you're a farmer getting a shotgun is pretty simple here. All of them I know have one.

And if you ever use it to protect your property you're the one under arrest hurray!

Well, in the famous case involving this he did shoot them in the back as they were running away which is not so much protecting as getting revenge...

BobCesca on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Going to take a wild guess and suggest it is some kind of weird workaround so that it doesn't count as a "pistol grip".

That's exactly it.
    It's the worst of both worlds though. You can't get your hand around the actual stock because it's in the way, and you can't grip it like a pistol grip. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is my rifle! There are many others like it but...oh who am I kidding.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    My BFA is in metal and fiber work. If you've ever got any questions or just want to talk shop I'm game. :)

I looked up BFA and somehow misread the wiki page as "Bachelor of Fire Ants". I was sort of alarmed for a second :P

That's really cool! I will certainly not hesitate to ask if I have any questions.

Buahahahahahahaha, I know all about Fire Ants. I am the Queen of Fire Ants! THE QUEEN!

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My BFA is in metal and fiber work. If you've ever got any questions or just want to talk shop I'm game.

So you're one of the people filling the art department with grinding sounds while we're in the studio.

Heh. I focused on fine metals for the most part in addition to spending time in the fiber studio, so not so much grinding noises. That'd be the large-scale bronze casters. My work was more quiet rasping while sawing and sanding, quiet whirring while drilling, or whispery sounds while weaving or doing other fiber things. I think the loudest things were the Oxy Acetyline torches and when the music was turned up in the studio.

Fun story. We had a Ukrainian girl in our department. Wonderful photographer. For her senior project she made this video set to music. It was pretty cool but the music was Euro techno-pop. Our building was all cement and glass and very open. The song was echoing through the building on a constant loop for 4 days before my drawing instructor went postal on it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is delicious!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I prefer the DeWalt version anyway.

dewalt.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This rifle is 100% legal in California because it is based on an "off-list" lower receiver made by Stag Arms and has no evil features at all, instead featuring a fixed stock instead of the evil collapsible stock, a muzzle brake in place of the vile flash-hider, and a MonsterMan Grip instead of the heinous and malicious plastic pistol grip. The C Products magazine looks like a 30 round magazine body but is permanently modified to only allow 10 rounds.

I have to give props to my friend Drew at Armory Airbrush who painted the parts for me and did a great job on the graphics. Check him out at http://www.armoryairbrush.com/

It has come to my attention that a lot of people think this rifle is merely a photoshop job. To convince the doubters here is a picture of the painted parts prior to assembly.

heh

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're a farmer getting a shotgun is pretty simple here. All of them I know have one.

And if you ever use it to protect your property you're the one under arrest hurray!

Well, in the famous case involving this he did shoot them in the back as they were running away which is not so much protecting as getting revenge...

Look if your going to bring up facts here cesca...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Fun story. We had a Ukrainian girl in our department. Wonderful photographer. For her senior project she made this video set to music. It was pretty cool but the music was Euro techno-pop. Our building was all cement and glass and very open. The song was echoing through the building on a constant loop for 4 days before my drawing instructor went postal on it.

Oh man. For my Experimental Art class (wayyyy back in my freshman year) one of our projects had to be a sound piece. It took about 10 minutes of a bunch of us fiddling in the stuido for us to realize that headphones would be a good idea, lest we drive each other to murder.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    My BFA is in metal and fiber work. If you've ever got any questions or just want to talk shop I'm game. :)

I looked up BFA and somehow misread the wiki page as "Bachelor of Fire Ants". I was sort of alarmed for a second :P

That's really cool! I will certainly not hesitate to ask if I have any questions.

Buahahahahahahaha, I know all about Fire Ants. I am the Queen of Fire Ants! THE QUEEN!

Oh God what have I unleashed!? D:

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

fire ants, most likely

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Look if your going to bring up facts here cesca...
    In Texas the judge would've just said something about how they shouldn't have started what they couldn't finish and dismissed the case.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey Passer! Tonight I was eating an amazing blue stilton from Cropwell Bishop Creamery on fine-milled oatcakes with quince paste. It was awesome!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always wondered what was used to colour those parts. Turns out is a high temperature stable ceramic coating, like the stuff you get for painting exhaust manifolds. Interesting.

japan on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    fire ants, most likely

The wiki page makes them look kind of cute.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That's exactly it.

Gun laws are fun and strange. An example.

stringtrick1ev.jpg

That bit of string has some foil on it. Why? Because the ATF declared it a machine gun. The way the law is written in the US, the part that allows for automatic fire is what is actually a machine gun. That way people can't try to swap parts to get around the restrictions on Automatic weapons. So the bit of string has a $200 stamp tax applied to it. Eventually the ATF realized the silliness of the whole situation and corrected the regulations to make a little more sense.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

OM NOM NOM

They're fairly common where I grew up.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Oh man. For my Experimental Art class (wayyyy back in my freshman year) one of our projects had to be a sound piece. It took about 10 minutes of a bunch of us fiddling in the stuido for us to realize that headphones would be a good idea, lest we drive each other to murder.

The studios in our building where on the top floor in a big ring. Skylights, balconies overlooking campus, very cool. On the day we were drawing nudes ( a very awkward day ) the instructor forgot to close the studio doors. Class got out and while we were still going (2 hour class) and like 100 kids got an eyeful.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm starting to realize that guns make me pretty damn uncomfortable.

And I live in Alaska.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey Passer! Tonight I was eating an amazing blue stilton from Cropwell Bishop Creamery on fine-milled oatcakes with quince paste. It was awesome!

Ooooh. Stilton is so good. I've not had quince paste, though. How is it?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I've never actually seen fire ants. I live in the Californian coastal mountains, I'm not sure if we have them.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always wondered what was used to colour those parts. Turns out is a high temperature stable ceramic coating, like the stuff you get for painting exhaust manifolds. Interesting.

Turns out the whole thing was a response to the california assault weapons ban.

A piece of garbage legislation that was destined to annoy gun owners without actually removing any guns from the state.

It's what we call lose-lose in reality but they call "politically possible" in the state legislature.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    How Israel handles airport security

A lot more security than the US, none of the hassled passengers.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Really good and just goes amazingly with stilton. My friend introduced us to it when we stayed at hers last week and we bought some when we went to Waitrose 'cos it was so good.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That's exactly it.

Gun laws are fun and strange. An example.

stringtrick1ev.jpgThat bit of string has some foil on it. Why? Because the ATF declared it a machine gun. The way the law is written in the US, the part that allows for automatic fire is what is actually a machine gun. That way people can't try to swap parts to get around the restrictions on Automatic weapons. So the bit of string has a $200 stamp tax applied to it. Eventually the ATF realized the silliness of the whole situation and corrected the regulations to make a little more sense.
    You can do the same thing by sticking your thumb through the trigger guard and hooking it into a belt loop on your pants.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm starting to realize that guns make me pretty damn uncomfortable.

And I live in Alaska.

Don't you guys keep perpetually pregnant women chained up in your kitchens for home defense? I think they're called 'mama grizzlies' or something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Wait are you the person who asked if I liked cheese like a week ago? I think that was you. I recall going to bed, getting up, reloading the page and wishing I'd mentioned something.

Because I love cheese.

Also I felt kind of rude for having slept ><

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I've never actually seen fire ants. I live in the Californian coastal mountains, I'm not sure if we have them.

We had the 1/4" red ones in Hawai'i. You're not missing much.
    The studios in our building where on the top floor in a big ring. Skylights, balconies overlooking campus, very cool. On the day we were drawing nudes ( a very awkward day ) the instructor forgot to close the studio doors. Class got out and while we were still going (2 hour class) and like 100 kids got an eyeful.

Hah, unexpected nakedness. Isn't that supposed to be part of college?

What was your focus?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    kitty approves not of firearm dicussion

15112010240.jpg

kitty approves of plastic bags
    nom nom nom

japan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    "We have a saying in Hebrew that it's much easier to look for a lost key under the light, than to look for the key where you actually lost it, because it's dark over there. That's exactly how (North American airport security officials) act," Sela said. "You can easily do what we do. You don't have to replace anything. You have to add just a little bit — technology, training. But you have to completely change the way you go about doing airport security. And that is something that the bureaucrats have a problem with. They are very well enclosed in their own concept."

And rather than fear, he suggests that outrage would be a far more powerful spur to provoking that change.

"Do you know why Israelis are so calm? We have brutal terror attacks on our civilians and still, life in Israel is pretty good. The reason is that people trust their defence forces, their police, their response teams and the security agencies. They know they're doing a good job. You can't say the same thing about Americans and Canadians. They don't trust anybody," Sela said. "But they say, 'So far, so good'. Then if something happens, all hell breaks loose and you've spent eight hours in an airport. Which is ridiculous. Not justifiable

"But, what can you do? Americans and Canadians are nice people and they will do anything because they were told to do so and because they don't know any different."

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Er that sounds weird. I meant I felt rude for not having answered, even though I was sleeping.

I am bad at words. It's why I'm a scientist.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Really good and just goes amazingly with stilton. My friend introduced us to it when we stayed at hers last week and we bought some when we went to Waitrose 'cos it was so good.

Hmmmn, I'll have to try it. Calf & Kid sells quince paste, next time I'm in I'll pick it up. I think oatcakes are out, though, can't find them anywhere around here.

Wait are you the person who asked if I liked cheese like a week ago? I think that was you. I recall going to bed, getting up, reloading the page and wishing I'd mentioned something.

Because I love cheese.

Oh man. Cheese is just lovely. So lovely. The loveliest. <3

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

We had the 1/4" red ones in Hawai'i. You're not missing much.

Hah, unexpected nakedness. Isn't that supposed to be part of college?

What was your focus?
    The model took it in good humor.

BA in Graphic Design with a focus in drawing and digital art.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    kitty approves not of firearm dicussion
    kitty approves of plastic bags
    nom nom nom

She is an adorable kitty. I approve of kitty.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh man. Cheese is just lovely. So lovely. The loveliest. <3

Then it probably was you. <3 cheese.

Shivahn on
This discussion has been closed.