As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's way more content than a standard XBLA/PSN game. If you think this game is just a rehash of the original genesis version I'm not sure if you have played it. I don't remember crossovers being in the original, or alley-oops. I'm not sure about the oops though.

There's 2 tours you can do which can take quite a few hours a piece, each unlocking their own shitload of players/power ups/balls even the occasional team. Then there's 21/Smash/Domination and Elimination, great modes to play online when you get bored of the original game. I don't think people understand the NBA JAM PS360 owners were supposed to be getting was just the bare bones arcade mode IIRC.

Now it's not perfect, there's a few things I wish they could of added and maybe it's still possible with future DLC (online tournaments/create a team/player/etc). But seriously, how many games this holiday season are actually going to be worth the 60 bones you drop on it. We won't know until they come out but NBA Jam pretty much carries a guaranteed fun sticker if you were a fan of the original game.

I'm honestly curious of all the people whining about the price how many of you have actually played the game.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played it for years when I was a kid, from all accounts this is just the same exact gameplay with updated graphics. The single-player Remix crap holds no appeal to me so I likely won't be getting this until its 14.99 on GameFly.

Allforce on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gameplay =/= content. What would you expect them to add that would suddenly make it worth the price? Five new button actions for who knows what? Hold down a button to do a taunting dance? That would add $25 value?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There's really nothing they could add to make it worth that price in my eyes, when they announced the game I assumed "XBLA". Then they said "Wii only, 50 bucks!" and I laughed. Then they announced the pack-in for 360 and I thought "eh that seems fair since I would check out a real NBA game". Then that all went out the window and they decided to gouge so whatever. No sweat off my back.

Also, gameplay absolutely = content, its the main content of any GAME.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Content = camapigns, modes, new teams, new players, unlockables. Gameplay is not the same thing.

Think of it like this: they could make a new Sonic game that uses every button on the controller for different moves and plays really interestingly, but if it only had one level that took two minutes to get through, it'd be said to have a lack of content.

Whereas they could also make a Sonic game where all you can do is run and jump, but if it had 100 varied levels that take hours to get through, it would be said to have a lot of content.

NBA Jam has a lot of content.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing that makes me hesitate to get this is the belief that a better version will likely come out next year with things added like create a player. That said, I don't think any game is worth 60 bucks, but since most of them cost that, I will once again suck it up and pay that for a game I want. NBA Jam is a game I want. A lot.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heh, I agree that most games are not worth the 60 buck price tag they are asking right now.

But I'm also in the boat that if I want the game, I'll pay the money to support the company. But then I don't really care about the online at all with this, so I'll save 10 bucks and hopefully soon get the Wii version.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I really want the achievements. Since I've already waited this long, I think I'll go with the 360 version.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I'm honestly curious of all the people whining about the price how many of you have actually played the game.

lol, I don't think even 10% of the people posting in the thread have played the game. It is only out on Wii right now.

Compared to recent XBLA releases, the four or five modes in NBA Jam would have been a perfect 15 or 20 dollar release.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So my brother picked this up, we played a few matches

Maybe I just suck or I'm not remembering the original as well as I think, but is it me or is it incredibly easy to block shots now? It doesn't seem to matter what the defender's block rating is, if they're in the air at all when I shoot, I get blocked. Not even dunks are safe anymore, since blocks seem to be able to knock people down like shoving

I don't know, maybe I'm just awful at this game but it feels like the offense has to jump through hoops to put the ball in the basket and all the defense has to do to stop it is push a button

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You are not going to believe this.
    Apparently, NBA Jam is ridiculously easy to modify, because almost all of the game options, character settings, etc, is done in an xml style configuration with some text files as input.

.....BLAH BLAH BLAH STUFF I'M NOT SURE IF IT'S OKAY TO TALK ABOUT HERE BUT THIS ISN'T WHY I'M MAKING THIS POST......

In addition, it appears the online files are already in the Wii disk.
    fgm_online_2v2_h2h.xml
    and fgm_online_2v2_multi.xml are both located in the gamemode folder.

These files are NOT dummy files. They have real, non-garbage data in them like the other game modes. Either EA is planning on releasing online as DLC later on for NBA Jam wii, or they're deliberately withholding it to sabotage the wii version of the game. The online is there. It just isn't activated.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. ?.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why wouldn't it be on there?

Online was planned to be on the Wii version

They just couldn't get it running at a decent framerate

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, they've said multiple times that online mode was disabled for Wii because they didn't feel people wouldn't play it unless it ran at 60fps like the main game.

Which sounds like they're using Lockstep networking.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    You are not going to believe this.
    Apparently, NBA Jam is ridiculously easy to modify, because almost all of the game options, character settings, etc, is done in an xml style configuration with some text files as input.

.....BLAH BLAH BLAH STUFF I'M NOT SURE IF IT'S OKAY TO TALK ABOUT HERE BUT THIS ISN'T WHY I'M MAKING THIS POST......

In addition, it appears the online files are already in the Wii disk.
    fgm_online_2v2_h2h.xml
    and fgm_online_2v2_multi.xml are both located in the gamemode folder.

These files are NOT dummy files. They have real, non-garbage data in them like the other game modes. Either EA is planning on releasing online as DLC later on for NBA Jam wii, or they're deliberately withholding it to sabotage the wii version of the game, or they couldn't get it working right for release and might be holding it off for a patch. The online is there. It just isn't activated.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. ?.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nintendo doesn't allow patches

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    .....I knew their online service was a bit behind, but that's just silly.

Turkey on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This looks kinda neat but at that price point hahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There was a game patched just this week.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nintendo doesn't allow patches

Like XoB said, Cave Story just received an update a few days ago. Of course it's not a patch patch, you have to delete the game and redownload it, but Nintendo will let you update your game. There have been a few others in the past, too.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://kotaku.com/5669168/nba-jam-on-360ps3-listed-for-4999

Gamestop already taking preorders as a 50$ 360/PS3 disc, coming November 16th.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And again, why did anyone go with the assumption that it'd cost the full $60? This is exactly what sane people expected all along: full retail so as not to insult their customers who paid $50 on the Wii, but cheaper than a normal title due to being a slightly simpler game.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Wii version will probably be pricedropped to 40$ by then.

It's already technically 40$ from Wal-mart online:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14291064

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I for one am happy about the $50 price point and will happily be picking this up for 360.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    I for one am happy about the $50 price point and will happily be picking this up for 360.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll get it in March for $20

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5669168/nba-jam-on-360ps3-listed-for-4999

Gamestop already taking preorders as a 50$ 360/PS3 disc, coming November 16th.

I know what I am getting for Christmas!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/21/nba-jam-sets-ps3-and-xbox-360-on-fire-nov-17/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-21-nba-jam-ps3-360-gets-uk-date-price
    The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of NBA Jam will be released in the UK on 26th November, EA has told Eurogamer.

They'll come with a RRP of £29.99.

In the US the games will launch on 17th November. The press release announcing the date described it as worldwide, but that's not accurate.

The PS3/Xbox 360 versions of NBA Jam feature high def visuals – as expected – and online play. Two principle game modes are included: Classic Campaign and Remix Tour, plus online modes.

"At launch, gamers will be able to take on all rivals playing Classic 2-on-2 online for the first time ever, measuring their success on Friends and Global Leaderboards," EA said.

In December the game's online features will "expand significantly" with several online features through a free title update.

So, from December, you'll be able to team-up locally and online to compete in Remix Games, including classic arcade hoop games like Backboard Smash.

Online Progression will also be added, allowing players to level up through a series of challenges, unlock rewards and other bits and bobs.

"We have listened to our NBA JAM fans and appreciate their desire to play this game online, so we are going to deliver the online feature set they expect and deserve," said creative director Trey Smith.

"Fans will be able to play Classic JAM online right out of the box, and can expect to enjoy features like Team-up, Remix Online, Jam Party, Online Progression, and even more secret players and teams, in December."

The Wii version - a HMV exclusive in the UK - is currently the eighth-highest rated sports game ever on Nintendo's console, according to Metacritic.

NBA Jam was once a digital download, but EA changed its mind and upgraded the release.

So there's the definite line.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    I'll get it in March for $20

Veevee on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goddamn, I really shouldn't have read through some of the more recent pages before posting. I played this with a friend tonight and its really fun, it certainly doesn't deserve all the ongoing bitching. Its a great update that feels quicker, has great animation, and a ton of extra modes. He brought the game over borrowed from a video store he works at so I don't actually own it, but I'm sure as hell going to buy it when I get the chance because this is a great game worth playing.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm definitely going to buy it

It's just unfortunate that it's hitting the same day as AC: Brotherhood

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I know what you mean. I'm looking at this, Sonic Colors, and Donkey Kong Country Returns right now and I don't quite know what my plan of attack should be. Well, secure a job first, but after that . . . I'm not sure.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DKC Returns comes out this week too? Damn

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, the sixteenth or so I think, but certainly soon enough.

Nevermind, its the 21st in North America at least.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, as predicted, it looks like the Wii version tanked pretty hard, "notably missing" from nearly all sales data. Wonder if all those nostalgic fans just waited for the 360/PS3 version.

Allforce on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    pretty much the ultimate validation. where are all the Wii faithful crowing about how great it would sell on the Wii to all those nostalgic fans? the best part: NBA2k11 was the best selling game last month

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No it's a pretty safe bet that it would tank no matter what system it ended up on.

Even though I'm not into the whole strange fanatical trolling you guys are, I do agree with you that this would have better served as a downloadable game, or at least it would have sold better. Most of today's gamers seem to think that if it's not 3-D and consist of several shades of brown, then it shouldn't be sold retail.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Michael Jordan license outsold everything. Uh, who didn't see this coming?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Wii is doomed because one basketball game oldsold another basketball game, don'tcha know. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The Michael Jordan license outsold everything. Uh, who didn't see this coming?

yea that's exactly why NBA2k11 sold well

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am waiting on reviews to see if this HD version was actually better or any different. If it's the same, I'll get it because I am an achievement whore.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega