Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Riddle Me This

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's the answer:
    Spoiler:

Steam name: munkus
    Pokemon X ID:
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    smart people love logic puzzles because they propose worlds in which everyone is equally genius-level

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Here's the answer:
    Spoiler:

y-yes? this is true, which is why the puzzle specifies that everyone on the island is a perfect logician. i dunno, was that not said in the first version posted here? not sure what you're getting at

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think there's just something in the rules of the process that I must be misunderstanding--when you know, without a doubt, what your own eye color is, you leave the island. Everyone on the island will instantly know something if it is logically possible to deduce it. Everyone on the island knows that there is someone on the island with blue eyes.

that's it, right? I can't connect the dots at all, even if I play the "pretend there are only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 people on the island and so on" game... it feels like there's no way to connect them at all.

but I don't want to cheat because I know I'll feel like a baller if I figure it out

edited November 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    if you get the solution the way it's meant to be gotten, the guru provides the information that makes your first assumption possible

this was to me, right? could you explain in more detail? i must be dim because i still can't quite get how the guru's statement catalyzes the whole process.

• Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    walrus and bull

that doesn't explain it to me

you've made some mental leap that's not clear in those words, even in the example with 2 and 2

This is the answer:
    Spoiler:

edited November 2010
    there are a bunch of logic puzzles around this "level"--the pirate one, the hats one, and this one are probably the most common in my experience--and i'd say this is the hardest. so yeah, if you solve it with no help you definitely get to feel like a baller.

edited November 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    Here's the answer:
    Spoiler:

y-yes? this is true, which is why the puzzle specifies that everyone on the island is a perfect logician. i dunno, was that not said in the first version posted here? not sure what you're getting at

The way the fact pattern is set up, it's a throw-away at the setup. It should be the focal point of the entire discussion.

Pokemon X ID:
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For people who know the answer:
    Spoiler:

Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay some friends just came over and I think we solved it.
    Spoiler:

sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SimBen wrote: »
    Spoiler:

WINNAR!

Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
    edited November 2010
    well I just read the answer, I never would have figured that out, I definitely didn't understand the way it worked

edited November 2010
    I edited my spoiler to be more informative.

But the crux of the whole thing is that everyone else is thinking the same thing as you. It doesn't work if there is any question about that.

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    if you get the solution the way it's meant to be gotten, the guru provides the information that makes your first assumption possible

this was to me, right? could you explain in more detail? i must be dim because i still can't quite get how the guru's statement catalyzes the whole process.

you've read the xkcd solution, yeah?
    Spoiler:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010

you've read the xkcd solution, yeah?
    Spoiler:

augh, this is still fucking with my brain. i can't stop thinking "but they all already knew there was someone with blue eyes! they could just look around and see that!"

give me a second here, i'm sure i can make this make sense to myself

edited November 2010
    OH ok got it

edit: thanks!

edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    well I just read the answer, I never would have figured that out, I definitely didn't understand the way it worked
    Spoiler:

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    OH ok got it

Spoiler:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    yeah I mean I understood the process once the answer was posted but somehow it was not at all clear to me before

edited November 2010
    OH ok got it

Spoiler:

yeahhh

i've solved this riddle before, forgotten it, been told it again and re-solved it, then told it to other people a bunch of times

and i never quite understood that til now

• FishmanFishman I find your lack of imperial stormtroopers disturbingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The other part of the eyes riddle is the night after all the Blue eyed people leave, all the people with Brown eyes leave; they know their only options are Blue or Brown and there's no green, pink purple or Chartreuse coloured eyes, and so can get on the ferry the next day, leaving the guru all alone, weeping with his sightless no-eye kicking at the sand in loneliness and wishing he'd just kept his damned mouth shut to begin with.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Hail to thee, Lightbringer.
    edited November 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    The other part of the eyes riddle is the night after all the Blue eyed people leave, all the people with Brown eyes leave; they know their only options are Blue or Brown and there's no green, pink purple or Chartreuse coloured eyes, and so can get on the ferry the next day, leaving the guru all alone, weeping with his sightless no-eye kicking at the sand in loneliness and wishing he'd just kept his damned mouth shut to begin with.

No, the brown eyed people don't get to ever leave, because they don't know if they are brown or some other color.

They rot in a brown eyed, muted world.

Pokemon X ID:
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    > stab oracle

Denny's is for winners.
    mkc.pngmkc.pngmkc.pngmontykevin.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Seriously, why'd you summon me? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wait did the riddle specify that the oracle never states the same person's eye color more than once?

BahamutZeroBanner.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Nah, the oracle says that and then Lord Dave stabs the oracle and the oracle is dead.

The oracle's only purpose is to start the series of logical events that every other person is going through.

Pokemon X ID:
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Seriously, why'd you summon me? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh right the oracle only speaks once

BahamutZeroBanner.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't call this the hardest logic problem in the world

I would call this the hardest logic problem in the world:

"Three gods A, B, and C are called, in some order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which."

• FishmanFishman I find your lack of imperial stormtroopers disturbingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fishman wrote: »

No, the brown eyed people don't get to ever leave, because they don't know if they are brown or some other color.

They rot in a brown eyed, muted world.

I guess it depends on the rules. They way I usually encounter it is:
    - People on the island have brown eyes or blue eyes
    - People on the island are perfectly logical and rational
    - People on the island know all of the above facts (including the fact that their eyes are either one or the other).

But yeah, if I go around pointing that out, I don't get to make a sad guru joke... spoilsport.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Hail to thee, Lightbringer.
    edited November 2010
    It's not the hardest logic problem in the world, not hardly.

It's just a logic extrapolation.

It's not exactly mensa-level difficult once you get the premises straight.

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    SHIT mrmonroe

edited November 2010
    Uh, ok. I know how you answer that when you have 2 gods. You ask them what the other one would say about themself. The one telling you the truth would tell you a lie, saying that they are the truthful one. The one telling you a lie would tell a lie about the truthful one, saying they are the lying one.

I don't know how you do it with three and not knowing yes or no.

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    Ok, let me think this out.

You have god 1, 2, and 3.

You ask god 1 whether god 3 would say god 3 is telling the truth.
    You ask god 2 whether god 3 would say god 3 is telling the truth.
    You ask god 3 whether god 1 is telling the truth.

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    I guess I'm supposed to put in the clarifications

1) It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
    2) What the second question is, and to which god it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
    3) Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.
    4) Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question

Pay attention to number 3.
    Spoiler:

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate this riddle

s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
    edited November 2010
    My thinking so far:
    Spoiler:
    Am I on the right path here?

Pokemon X ID:
    edited November 2010
    You are on the right path, but I think your first question should be modified a little.
    Spoiler:

There's also multiple ways to answer this problem, including one that is more efficient than the others.

edited November 2010
    I think I got it.
    Spoiler:

Pokemon X ID:
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not the hardest logic problem in the world, not hardly.

It's just a logic extrapolation.

It's not exactly mensa-level difficult once you get the premises straight.

Mensa level difficult isn't that difficult

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited November 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    A fairly good mathematical one that I've found is either (a) solved instantly or (b) takes people a while to get:

3 3 7 7

With those four numbers, make 24. You must use each number only once

You may only add, subtract, divide, multiply, and use brackets. You may not use powers or any tricksy shit like putting 3 and 7 together and saying it's now 37.
    Spoiler:

Close, but you have to use all the numbers! That's what makes it a puzzle rather than a sum

Answer:
    Spoiler:

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hey did anybody else read that good story i wrote

i was happy with that

mandresig_zps30545639.jpg