As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    lol, when was need for speed NOT arcadey?

It's not over the top crazy crashes going a billion miles an hour like burnout though. it does have crashes, and you do go fast, but it's more "realistic." also, the races aren't choose your own route, they are set routes with possible shortcuts. there is a free roam mode that lets you drive wherever though.

The Need For Speed series began as a racing sim

Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMp0nGTA2p8

citizen059 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright. So I've done a few events, and I unlocked a new event on a previous course. Its a time trial to drive an Astin Martin really fast and every time you bump something they penalize you. This thing is kicking my ass. I think even with a perfect run and no bumps, I'd probably miss the gold time by 10 seconds or more. Guess I need to figure out a better route.

Lucascraft on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »

It's not over the top crazy crashes going a billion miles an hour like burnout though. it does have crashes, and you do go fast, but it's more "realistic." also, the races aren't choose your own route, they are set routes with possible shortcuts. there is a free roam mode that lets you drive wherever though.

Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMp0nGTA2p8

I don't know if I would call that a "sim" with all that traffic. I guess it depends on what your definition of "arcadey" is.

ghost_master2000 on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Downloading now. Got a long two hours or so ahead of me.

Gaslight on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sent you an friend request lucascraft.

If anyone on PS3, feel free to add me. PSN ID is Brownchiclets

Kyougu on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Good times.

I don't know if I would call that a "sim" with all that traffic. I guess it depends on what your definition of "arcadey" is.

It really does come down to defining "sim" versus "arcade".

I've never considered the NFS series to be sims at all, though technically they might meet the dictionary definition of "simulation".

My first experience with sims on the PC involved titles like Indycar Racing and Grand Prix 2, so that's most likely why.

I will say that the driving physics in NFS 1 were a lot less forgiving and a lot more sim-lite than the entries that followed.

citizen059 on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Played a couple events and it's fun so far. Cars seem to handle a lot heavier than they did in Burnout. Still distinctly arcadey, but with a touch more realism than Paradise had (where performance and handling took absolute priority over everything).

PS3 users feel free to add me. PSN ID is (in a shocking display of imagination) chrisfom.

Edit: corrected gamertag, forgot that on PSN there are no spaces.

Chris FOM on
    edited November 2010
    Man, I don't understand how this game affects my system. I start off a race silky-smooth, everything goes to stuttery, slide show hell in the middle, then things are fine again for the finish. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of cars or other stuff on screen. Tweakable graphics settings are a little sparse and so far nothing I've changed makes a difference. I can accept that my system isn't going to be able to play the newest games balls-out but "consistent inconsistency" like this is kind of puzzling.

Anyway, the game itself looks pretty damn nice (the wet road reflections especially impress me) and plays pretty nice too, although damned if I can get the hang of drifting.

I've only done one race running from the cops so far and I have to say that Crown Victorias keeping pace with my Porsche at 150 mph and being able to overtake enough to make fishtail attempts on me at will will is bullshit. I hope the cops aren't like this the entire game. It sort of takes the fun out of outrunning the cops when they literally cannot be outrun even when you totally outclass their cars because they're a rubber-band AI. If I outdistance the first group of Crown Vics or whatever, call in other units farther up the road, faster cars, whatever. Don't just attach a pack of magic superfast Crown Vics to my tail for the whole race.

Anybody else on the PC version (which I kinda doubt) find me on autolog if you like, my name is Gaslighter.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Damn multiplayer is addicting. Though do more modes open up? I only seemed to have acess to one on one pursuits. All the other slots for players said closed.

Kyougu on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've been playing both the PC and 360 version (got a copy from a friend) and are pretty identical.

The only thing I've noticed is that on PC i can get 50-60fps where the 360 is locked at 30fps.

But absolutely awesome an addicting. Such a nice throwback to fans of early NFS games.

Hawk on
    edited November 2010
    i've got to say. Once thing i really didn't like while playing the demo was how cars are really squirrely with the most minor of steering adjustments. Like if you are on a straightaway and have to just barely adjust to one side even after you let go of the stick the car sort of swerves backa nd forth a bit before settling in a straight line.

Having driven a car pretty fast IRL I know that this does in fact actually happen at high speeds, but when you don't have the precision of an actual steering wheel, and instead have a tiny thumbstick it becomes really annoying.

ghost_master2000 on
  • OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Agree. I am very interested to know whether this was specific to the demo or whether it is like that in the finished game.

Orthoji on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are there events like the multiplayer bit shown in the Giant Bomb quick look, but in the solo campaign? As in, more than one cop vs. more than one racer where you can play as either.

Going to get this on Friday (unless it pops up on Steam before that), but just wondering.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    i've got to say. Once thing i really didn't like while playing the demo was how cars are really squirrely with the most minor of steering adjustments. Like if you are on a straightaway and have to just barely adjust to one side even after you let go of the stick the car sort of swerves backa nd forth a bit before settling in a straight line.

Having driven a car pretty fast IRL I know that this does in fact actually happen at high speeds, but when you don't have the precision of an actual steering wheel, and instead have a tiny thumbstick it becomes really annoying.

I haven't noticed this type of thing too much yet, but it's possible that I'm not aware of it because I used to play a lot of hardcore PC racing sims (wheel and pedals and all) and I've kind of made my peace with car handling on a controller inevitably being bullshit no matter what. Like, what you're describing sounds sort of like every arcade racer I've ever played with a controller.

I will say that so far I've been moderately but pleasantly surprised with the unique handling characteristics of the different cars. Just trying out various cars in the first "Roadsters Reborn" race, the Porsche Boxster has an interesting snap-oversteer tendency, the Nissan 370Z feels heavier and you can tell the effect weight transfer has on steering, and the BMW Z4 feels the lightest and most responsive of the three.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait until I build a new system or (fingers crossed) for an optimization patch to really enjoy this game. Gotta love the developer interviews where they bullshit about how amazing it was to try out the game engine on weaker and weaker systems and see they could get "60fps at 1080p on an entry level Core 2 Duo!" Yeah, sure.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Orthoji wrote: »
    Agree. I am very interested to know whether this was specific to the demo or whether it is like that in the finished game.

It's like that on the final game.

I noticed it on the first straightway in the first race, but didn't mind it. Nothing game breaking, and something you can get used to right away.

Kyougu on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Played a bit last night and I had a hard time adjusting as I was expecting Burnout, Most Wanted or Split/Second style control. It actually made me give up for a bit in frustration.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It bothered me a bit in the demo, too, but seems to be a lot more smoothed out in the final game. That could just be because I was already expecting it and was subconciousliy adjusting, though.

Played a few events last night before the Autolog dropped me and refused to re-connect. It kind of takes the fun out of playing even by yourself without that feeling of always knowing what's going on elsewhere. Feel free to send me a FR for leaderboard stuff or if you guys want to race!

Oh, and has anyone confirmed how the "friend recommendation" system works? As in, is it finding people that actually have the game? Or just suggesting "friends of friends" in general?

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited November 2010
    I've only played single-player races so far and randomly in the middle of them it will tell me "You are not connected to autolog." Well, why the fuck not suddenly?

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    polaris314 wrote: »

It bothered me a bit in the demo, too, but seems to be a lot more smoothed out in the final game. That could just be because I was already expecting it and was subconciousliy adjusting, though.

Played a few events last night before the Autolog dropped me and refused to re-connect. It kind of takes the fun out of playing even by yourself without that feeling of always knowing what's going on elsewhere. Feel free to send me a FR for leaderboard stuff or if you guys want to race!

Oh, and has anyone confirmed how the "friend recommendation" system works? As in, is it finding people that actually have the game? Or just suggesting "friends of friends" in general?

It works, with the caveat that includes anyone that played the demo. Luckily you can check their rank and see when they were last on, so if they were on as of yesterday they're playing the game since the demo is no more.

Kyougu on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

I haven't noticed this type of thing too much yet, but it's possible that I'm not aware of it because I used to play a lot of hardcore PC racing sims (wheel and pedals and all) and I've kind of made my peace with car handling on a controller inevitably being bullshit no matter what. Like, what you're describing sounds sort of like every arcade racer I've ever played with a controller.

I will say that so far I've been moderately but pleasantly surprised with the unique handling characteristics of the different cars. Just trying out various cars in the first "Roadsters Reborn" race, the Porsche Boxster has an interesting snap-oversteer tendency, the Nissan 370Z feels heavier and you can tell the effect weight transfer has on steering, and the BMW Z4 feels the lightest and most responsive of the three.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait until I build a new system or (fingers crossed) for an optimization patch to really enjoy this game. Gotta love the developer interviews where they bullshit about how amazing it was to try out the game engine on weaker and weaker systems and see they could get "60fps at 1080p on an entry level Core 2 Duo!" Yeah, sure.

What are your current system specs? I have this sitting in my cart at gogamer.com because it's on sale, but I'm not sure after hearing people having performance issues and I'd really rather have it on Steam anyway.

Drool on
    edited November 2010
    Drool wrote: »

What are your current system specs? I have this sitting in my cart at gogamer.com because it's on sale, but I'm not sure after hearing people having performance issues and I'd really rather have it on Steam anyway.

I'm playing on an MSI GT627 laptop with a Core 2 Duo P8400 at 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, and a somewhat overclocked GeForce 9800M GS, on Windows 7 32-bit.

It was a compromise system I bought last year when I wanted something I could play games with and still be able to lug around at school if need be (not to mention take up as little space as possible in my dorm room). It's done yeoman work but now that I don't need to make the portability compromise I plan to replace it with a custom built desktop rig sometime next year.

I just updated my NVIDIA drivers to the most recent and I've only had time for one race so far but that appears to be showing some promise for increasing performance, although it's doing some weird stuff when playing at less than my native display resolution. More testing is required, I'll let you know how it works out.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

It's like that on the final game.

I noticed it on the first straightway in the first race, but didn't mind it. Nothing game breaking, and something you can get used to right away.

It's like they gave the tires really soft widwalls and assume that the driver doesn't know how to correct for that wobble. In my time with the demo I wasn't able to find a way for it to not do that no matter how smoothly I steered.

With a good driver, and decent tires it wouldn't do that, so why in a racing game (where you would think the cars would be prepped for racing) it's like that, i have no idea.

ghost_master2000 on
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Played a bit last night and I had a hard time adjusting as I was expecting Burnout, Most Wanted or Split/Second style control. It actually made me give up for a bit in frustration.

How so? I'm an old school Burnout fan and was curious about the difference in control here.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there a list of PA guys playing this on the xbox?

DJ Cam Cam on
    edited November 2010
    So every online race I've been in so far, I was "kicked due to game performance reaching unacceptably low levels."

Really? I thought it was just the same stuttery mess it always was. I'm actually kind of getting used to it.

Gaslight on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm playing on an MSI GT627 laptop with a Core 2 Duo P8400 at 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, and a somewhat overclocked GeForce 9800M GS, on Windows 7 32-bit.

It was a compromise system I bought last year when I wanted something I could play games with and still be able to lug around at school if need be (not to mention take up as little space as possible in my dorm room). It's done yeoman work but now that I don't need to make the portability compromise I plan to replace it with a custom built desktop rig sometime next year.

I just updated my NVIDIA drivers to the most recent and I've only had time for one race so far but that appears to be showing some promise for increasing performance, although it's doing some weird stuff when playing at less than my native display resolution. More testing is required, I'll let you know how it works out.

Ah okay I'm sure my system should be able to handle it fine then. Is anyone else playing this on the PC? It seems kind of shitty to play a game that's so multiplayer driven without people to challenge scores against. Is there any kind of multiplayer matchmaking?

Drool on
    edited November 2010
    Ah okay I'm sure my system should be able to handle it fine then. Is anyone else playing this on the PC? It seems kind of shitty to play a game that's so multiplayer driven without people to challenge scores against. Is there any kind of multiplayer matchmaking?

Aside from inviting your friends to race and stuff like that, matchmaking consists of picking a race type and a car class and that's about it. There appears to be no way to filter what course you want to race on or anything. I imagine if you create a race and invite friends you have more control.

Anyway, fuck this. Everybody be advised, don't even bother with the PC version unless your system specs are WELL ABOVE the "recommended" requirements. I'm probably just going to uninstall this and try again when I have a new system built in six months or whenever, maybe by that time there will have been some optimization patching too.

Parting thought: how ridiculous is it that there is NO REPLAY WHATSOEVER in this game? Even NFS Shift had replay, and it was supposed to be about precise simulation-style driving, not eye-popping cinematic crashes and takedowns. I personally can live without it, but the fact that they omitted this feature entirely boggles my mind.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    The first time you use a turbo as a racer is amazing! Best effect in this game yet.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is anybody doing an official list of Xbox Live/PSN IDs for this game?

Chris FOM on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, spent basically the whole day with this game, and I'm loving it thus far. Probably my favorite in the series since the original Hot Pursuit.

My only real complaints lie with the complete reliance on shortcuts to achieve any semblance of a good time in time trials. I've never liked shortcuts in racing games, especially when they come up so fast that you have little to no time to react, and this hasn't changed my opinion. I wish they would cut them out.

cr0w on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is disappointing. Burnout Paradise ran surprisingly well on my Intel card...

Frem on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hot Pursuit mode (online racing) is so fucking unbalanced in favor of the cops. The racers don't even stand a chance. And why the fuck do I keep getting put on the racers team, game after game. I'd like to win one every once in a while.

But seriously. Has anyone ever won as a racer in this mode? Pretty sure its impossible.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2010
    Frem wrote: »

This is disappointing. Burnout Paradise ran surprisingly well on my Intel card...

In the interest of fairness I went back and found that interview I had seen before and apparently they were actually talking about Burnout Paradise in the "1080p, 60fps on a weak C2D" part. They acknowledge Hot Pursuit is a little more demanding, but they really downplay it.

Like I said before, I know I have a middle of the road system at best and I don't expect to be able to play all the newest games balls-out./ However, the lack of customizable graphics settings and the fact that even turning all of the settings which are available all the way down doesn't help performance is frustrating to me. If I turn my resolution down to 1440x900 and disable shadows and stuff I should see some improvement, right? Given that the game's an obvious console port, though, it's not really surprising.

As it is, the game works semi-decently enough offline that I may keep it on my hard drive for a while to mess around with that, and it really does seem like it could be a lot of fun once I have a system capable of getting the most out of it. The core gameplay is very enjoyable, minor quibbles like lack of replay and overly obvious rubber-band AI aside.

Gaslight on
  • SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got this game yesterday for the 360 (thanks to Amazon shipping it three days before the official UK release) and am having fun with it. Agree with most of the comments about the handling but I think like most racing games it just takes a bit of getting used to. The drifting seems like it will be easy to do but difficult to really master - it's not at all difficult to drift through almost any corner but doing it without losing a lot of speed is a real art.

Looking forward to using the Autolog feature to get some good time trial challenges going - feel free to friend me, my GT is in my sig.

Oh and Hawk - I'm going to be gunning for your times this weekend. :lol:

SkullOmania on
    edited November 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hot Pursuit mode (online racing) is so fucking unbalanced in favor of the cops. The racers don't even stand a chance. And why the fuck do I keep getting put on the racers team, game after game. I'd like to win one every once in a while.

But seriously. Has anyone ever won as a racer in this mode? Pretty sure its impossible.

Actually I've seen more racers winning races then cops busting them

DJ Cam Cam on
    edited November 2010
    cr0w wrote: »
    Well, spent basically the whole day with this game, and I'm loving it thus far. Probably my favorite in the series since the original Hot Pursuit.

My only real complaints lie with the complete reliance on shortcuts to achieve any semblance of a good time in time trials. I've never liked shortcuts in racing games, especially when they come up so fast that you have little to no time to react, and this hasn't changed my opinion. I wish they would cut them out.

Not going to happen. Shortcuts are a staple of the NFS series. If you're going to play an NFS game, you need to learn the shorcuts.

Just consider them the "real" track, perhaps with slightly different terrain.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2010
    Got this game yesterday for the 360 (thanks to Amazon shipping it three days before the official UK release) and am having fun with it. Agree with most of the comments about the handling but I think like most racing games it just takes a bit of getting used to. The drifting seems like it will be easy to do but difficult to really master - it's not at all difficult to drift through almost any corner but doing it without losing a lot of speed is a real art.

Looking forward to using the Autolog feature to get some good time trial challenges going - feel free to friend me, my GT is in my sig.

Haha! I shattered a few last night. I was on a roll. I never cared about fast times but the Autolog changes all of that.

Hawk on
  • SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hawk wrote: »

Haha! I shattered a few last night. I was on a roll. I never cared about fast times but the Autolog changes all of that.

You might want to check those again...:P

SkullOmania on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    cr0w wrote: »

Not going to happen. Shortcuts are a staple of the NFS series. If you're going to play an NFS game, you need to learn the shorcuts.

Just consider them the "real" track, perhaps with slightly different terrain.

Well, I mean...I've been playing since the first one came out on the Saturn and haven't had as much trouble with shortcuts as I have in the past few iterations I've played. I think it's probably magnified in this one, much as it was in Burnout for me, because they just come up so fast it's hard to react. That and in the night levels sometimes it's hard to tell what is and isn't an entrance because of the lighting conditions.

I dunno, I just wish they weren't almost mandatory in order to win.

cr0w on
    edited November 2010
    Hawk wrote: »

You might want to check those again...:P

Aw man! I only did those races once, so plenty of room to improve.

I like the "personalized leaderboard" that Autolog provides. Although I do wish there was a traditional one so I can see where I stack up.

Hawk on