As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Final Fantasy Wii coming. sort of

JarsJars Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
there is a new RPG on the wii slated for 2011 called [strike]Final Fantasy[/strike] The Last Story

last-story-660.jpg

It looks like final fantasy, it smells like final fantasy, but does it have that final fantasy taste?

Well, the director is Hironobu Sakaguchi, you may know him from being the director and original concept behind final fantasy 1-6, the producer of final fantasy 7 and FFT, and the executive producer of final fantasy 8-X.

Oh and Nobuo Uematsu is doing the music

The game is supposed to be a "new form of RPG", and you play the role of a group of mercenaries on the island of Ruli.

there is a trailer too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0UNe8bNfEo

Jars on

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks pretty cool.

I may have to give this a shot.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been looking forward to this for a while. Nintendo is giving it a big push in Japan, with a new Wii SKU.

thelaststory_wii.jpg

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man that logo really makes it pretty clear just what kind of people they are aiming it at, anyway that looked pretty neat. Hope its good, and if it is that it gets a release in europe.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, this game looks delicious. I do hope it gets an English release.

Enlong on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The artist was the designer for Drakengard, if the style looks familiar.

Will definitely try if localized, the Wii's in dire need of good RPGs.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I figured you were talking about Last Story when I clicked here. I'm looking forward to it.

JJ on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's got some sort of online multiplayer mode for no god damn reason.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Wait, is it co-op?

Cuz if so, I blame Japan's Monster hunter syndrome.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game looks damn good

Now all that needs to happen is get localised.

Xenoblade as well

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

Wait, is it co-op?

Cuz if so, I blame Japan's Monster hunter syndrome.

I think it's competitive, like the multiplayer in golden sun.

Jars on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gears of War: Final Fantasy Edition?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks interesting, and it's a classic controller game, so yay to that.

-SPI- on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't wait in 10 years to play The Last Story VII: Okay Not Quite The Last.

Henroid on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Last Story is not a very subtle title. That said, Lost Odyssey was really good and the soundtrack was great. Even if this game isn't good, the music probably will be. But I don't have a Wii anymore and I'm not really interested in getting another, so it doesn't really matter much.

Adus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Last Story is not a very subtle title.

Fuckin' seriously. What's next, Epic Epilogue?

Henroid on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fantastic, finally the Wii gets a greyish brownish game.
    But to be honest, the few opinions I have read of Xenoblade were so stelar that wether Last Story is good or bad has become irrelevant to me.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Conclusive Chronicle

Adus on
    edited November 2010
    Decisive Daydream

Henroid on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    did you guys complain this much when final fantasy 2 came out

Jars on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish the setting was a little more inspired, but the gameplay looks interesting.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    On my part it's not complaining, it's just pointing out the transparency of this title and the silliness of the Final Fantasy series title having sequels. :P

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    At first I thought it was a Final Fantasy game subtitled The Last Story.

Now I'm disappointed that's not the case.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited November 2010
    everyone knows the story behind the name Final Fantasy

you don't fuck it all up by making just one after it literally saves your ass from extinction

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    Swan Song Saga

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    We're Fucked, Buy Our Game

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010

you don't fuck it all up by making just one after it literally saves your ass from extinction

Yes we know the story and that isn't the point of making fun of it. :P

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    We're Fucked, Buy Our Game XIV

Fixed!

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

yeah I kinda got that

just saying, you don't make Final Fantasy, save your company

and then make a new RPG with a completely different name

unless you like being bankrupt

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

yeah I kinda got that

just saying, you don't make Final Fantasy, save your company

and then make a new RPG with a completely different name

unless you like being bankrupt

Thing is, starting with 6 just about every Final Fantasy is a new RPG, but they give them the same name and throw in some Chocobos and Bahamut so that they can sell them all. It's a lack of confidence that they're capable of making huge titles. And, incidentally, why I don't hold Square in high regard whatsoever. Which is me putting it nicely.

At any rate, the guys working on this still have a lot of credibility as far as I'm concerned so this Last Story thing could turn out for the better. I actually have higher hopes for it.

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    I have a feeling if by the time Final Fantasy 6 rolled around they changed the name of every game to come out afterward

they wouldn't do well financially

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    They're good to decent games, depending on who you ask and which ones in question, and would do fine without the brand name. They could've still made "Final Fantasy titles" but also could've showed some credibility rather than cling for dear life to a title.

Henroid on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Because the game buying public is so adept at checking out new IPs...oh wait. If they give me new games they can call it whatever the hell they want. As long as they don't give "same game, same name" that other major developers are so keen on.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So there any news at all on whether this and Xenoblade will actually make it to NA? At there very least is there any reason to hold out hope for a release?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Last Story...

..come the fuck on.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, Xenoblade was shown at E3 '09 back when it was called Monado. Hopefully Nintendo didn't change their minds.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks so good. I know we had a thread about it a while back because I've seen the trailer but man this game better be good and come out in the NA shores.

urahonky on
    edited November 2010
    Sales of Xenoblade weren't so hot I'm afraid.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited November 2010
    The Last Story...

..come the fuck on.

SEE WHAT I MEAN?

Henroid on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rakai wrote: »
    Because the game buying public is so adept at checking out new IPs...oh wait. If they give me new games they can call it whatever the hell they want. As long as they don't give "same game, same name" that other major developers are so keen on.

Team Ico's built a good following based on who's made the games rather than the name. One of the selling points of Bayonetta was that it was from the dude responsible for DMC. Everyone was going nuts when David Jaffe said his next game was supposed to make the player cry.

There was a time when the brand mattered, but that time is quickly passing if it hasn't already.

Back to the topic at hand: Anyone else get the feeling this is going to be like Dragon Age had a threesome with an FF between 1-6 and Gears of war?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok so this game "looks awesome" - the standard response for every Final Fantasy Game that every comes out. Ever.

They all turn out to be the SAME FUCKING THING. This game shows me nothing that is unique about it what-so-ever. The name, the system, the style, everything is the same. I understand that like, it is being made by all the same dudes that made all the other Finals, but... fucking aye; can we TRY to be original?

My first FF game was 4, and then 6 and then 7. 7 really drove it home for me. The materia system was where that shit got hot. 8 was boring, 9 was kind of going back to the "roots" and it was decent, although I felt that I got too powerful too quick. X was kind of like 8 with all the story-mode shit going on, but I enjoyed the battle system because by that time I was a stoner and it made the game easier. After that I lost interest in FF because it just didn't change. I was already getting tired of the series after 7, but the thing that really ended it for me was X-2. What the hell were they thinking?

Now I am just ranting... but it's because this kind of shit is what makes me angry about the gaming arena. We need to innovate and produce quality games with different settings and systems. They got it right with Kingdom Hearts because the battle system was fresh and the setting was fucking amazing. They should do more shit like that. They have an awesome development team and they always just produce the same shit.

Shit. Fuck. Shit. Etc.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud