As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, after reading that Destructoid review I don't seem to have much choice in the matter. It must be mine.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I ordered it, the Destructoid review is really intriguing.

Especially the bit about the multiple playthroughs.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I can't find it at Gamestop, or can't order it from another GS store for some reason, I'll order it online. I fucking love these "escape the room" games, and for something to go beyond that... it's just awesome.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From that Destructoid review...
    Without spoiling anything, the game is able to take the very nature of the multiple-ending visual novel genre and weave it into the narrative in a way that makes perfect sense in the context of the story.
    Gee, I smell a Groundhog's Day plot...

Looks might interesting though.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited November 2010
    Well, okay, so... I found out the dev was the same guys who made the first 4 "Dragon Quest games and the "Shiren the Wanderer" series.

This went from pure interest to "MUST BUY!"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just ordered this from Amazon solely on the basis of the Destructoid review. I don't know when I'll get to it, given my backlog and a newborn, but I suspect this game won't be available for MSRP for very long.

Hedgethorn on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks fantastic, but I have no money. :( Maybe after Christmas if it's still available.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • IconIcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I recently looked under my bed and found my DS. A DS that I thought was stolen almost a year ago (woot) anyone care to list all the awesome games released over the last yearish?
    I kinda stuck my fingers in my ears and said "La La La La La La La La La La" to avoid hearing anything about them I missed you so little DS>

Icon on
    MKWii 2105-8992-2542 Ic0n
    4ob39
    http://3WiiD.com
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The third Professor Layton game, Dragon Quest 9, Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light, Etrian Odyssey 3, Sonic Colors just came out.

All if you're into that style of game, of course.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • IconIcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The third Professor Layton game, Dragon Quest 9, Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light, Etrian Odyssey 3, Sonic Colors just came out.

Cheers good man your a star.

Umm I like puzzle but I am a bit of a strango in that I don't like playing older games in a series because the newer ones are better (in my crazy brain) will I miss anything by just jumping into Prof Layton 3 - Layton Tendencies

Icon on
    MKWii 2105-8992-2542 Ic0n
    4ob39
    http://3WiiD.com
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game looks rather awesome...

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited November 2010
    pic of the main characters:
    JP6j1a721jLt8kk9uzH6e5u7Wwi3b4X9.jpg

The girl on the way left has... an interesting fashion sense... yeah...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Icon wrote: »

Cheers good man your a star.

Umm I like puzzle but I am a bit of a strango in that I don't like playing older games in a series because the newer ones are better (in my crazy brain) will I miss anything by just jumping into Prof Layton 3 - Layton Tendencies

I don't think you would miss too much, they're fairly self-contained. One of the characters was a central point of the first game, how they met this person. One of the villains might seem to come out of nowhere, you'll feel like you should know who he is from previous games, but really he shows up just as randomly in the other games.

But anyway this is a thread about 999! Are you getting this game?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would if I lived in America. But I don't, so I won't. :(

The Anonymous on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's a good price on Play Asia. You don't have to live in America.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    It should be region free, I don't think it's DSi enhanced or anything that would make it not play on every DS.

Are people locked out of the American version of Amazon elsewhere or something? I bought something from Amazon UK just a short while ago and it was totally painless and easy. As long as they'll ship to Pancake Heaven you should be fine.

UncleSporky on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'll be getting it from Amazon. It's $32.99 with free shipping, if that helps.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I looked on Amazon but I shopped around a little and it was slightly cheaper for me (shipping to Aus) on Play Asia.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    For Euros www.videogamesplus.ca is my usual importer of choice.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2010
    Got this from GameStop today! Playing it now!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thread you have me interested... tried the demo and it was ok. I love me some oddball DS titles.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm hoping/willing to bet that she's supposed to be a performer on the ship or something. It looks kind of dancer-y.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

I'm hoping/willing to bet that she's supposed to be a performer on the ship or something. It looks kind of dancer-y.

Well, I'm not certain, but Junpei (the MC) came to a similar conclusion... also, characters are animated in dialogues to an extent, so she *ahem*... "bounces"... if you get what I mean.

LATE EDIT: Well shit, I make it to the end and BAM! "BAD END" :(

There's multiple endings, but still...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apparently the writer for the visual novel Ever 17 was on the design staff so that's enough to peek my interest. Can anyone who have played game give more detailed impressions of it?

Tertiee on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Apparently the writer for the visual novel Ever 17 was on the design staff so that's enough to peek my interest. Can anyone who have played game give more detailed impressions of it?

I spent the last two days on my first playthrough (and got a bad ending) and then started a second run. I'd guess that my first playthrough was somewhere around 8-10 hours. Based on something I saw during the endgame, my guess is that there are six different endings, but I don't know that for sure.

The story portions are very much like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book: long sections of text interspersed with an occasional path-altering choice. The text during these sections is generally well-written and typo-free. The characters all have distinct personalities and the game is typically good about keeping everyone in character. The graphics are quite basic and reminiscent of Phoenix Wright: well-drawn characters speaking over top of a static background image. Beyond doors opening, there's very little animation. I'd say most of the story portions last 30-40 minutes. You can't speed up the text during your first playthrough (my biggest complaint, as the text speed is just above a crawl), but on subsequent playthroughs you can fast-forward through passages you've seen before. This isn't as nice as it sounds, though. If you've selected a different party for a section, you can't fast-forward through any text in that section, not even the bits that are 100% identical to your previous run.

The story portions are always broken up by a pair of challenge rooms, which are like old-school adventure games (tap everywhere to find items, combine items to solve puzzles, maybe do a little math or spatial recognition along the way). The puzzles are a bit on the simple side, and--as near as I can tell--impossible to fail. You just keep trying things until you succeed (unlike, say, the old Sierra adventure games where you could die or put yourself in an unwinnable state). During the puzzle rooms, you'll often engage in side conversations with the party members you bring in with you, which eat up some additional time.

I don't think it's possible for you--or anyone else--to die during the puzzle rooms, but you can and will lose party members during the story sections, often in quite grisly ways. The graphics try to be understated here: a non-distinct corpse on the floor, a splatter of blood on a wall, etc., but the text's level of detail can be nauseating at times. (Did I really need to know about the globules of fat sliding down the wall, or the pattern their intestines make on the floor?)

After my first run, I still don't have any idea where the story is actually going. Either there are a ton of red-herrings along the way (some of the side conversations are downright bizarre, given the time constraints the characters are under), or the final reveal will be labyrinthine, to say the least. But I'm genuinely intrigued.

Hedgethorn on
    edited November 2010
    It was mentioned on a previous page, but it's impossible to get the good ending on the first playthrough, but replay-ability is great, and gives a fast-forward option to skip through text and CG cut-scenes. They even highlight options you picked on a previous playthrough, so you can pick a new path and try it out, and possibly get a different ending.

EDIT: forgot tomention that fast-forwarding can only work on text you've previously seen, only.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I've now found a second bad ending. This ending was really bad. And I'm more confused than ever.

Hedgethorn on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

HOLY SHIT

Also, for anyone interested in this/other handheld games:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000635441_grlink_1?tag=cheapassgam08-20&ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000635441

Tah-dah!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The graphics try to be understated here: a non-distinct corpse on the floor, a splatter of blood on a wall, etc., but the text's level of detail can be nauseating at times. (Did I really need to know about the globules of fat sliding down the wall, or the pattern their intestines make on the floor?)
    Not at all surprised by this, considering what Ever17 was like. :P

The Anonymous on
    edited November 2010
    I've now found a second bad ending. This ending was really bad. And I'm more confused than ever.

According to the guys @GameFaqs, you have to get ending 4, then meet the requirements for the true end to get ending 2, then the flag'll be set for you to get the true end.

The plot is really fucking confusing, but I learned a bit of Seven and Lotus's backgrounds on my current playthrough.... very interesting stuff, too.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So you HAVE to play at least 3 times?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So you HAVE to play at least 3 times?

Apparently?... got ending 6.... man, that was fucking depressing...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, ending 6 was the one I recently got that really confused me. I just couldn't figure out who could've brought it about.

On my 3rd playthrough, I think I've found a nearly ideal path that opens the plot wide open. We'll see how far this takes me.

Hedgethorn on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played the demo a few months ago and it didn't grab me enough to finish it. But reading the praise now, and the creative design choices, I have to admit I'm intrigued.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, ending 6 was the one I recently got that really confused me. I just couldn't figure out who could've brought it about.

On my 3rd playthrough, I think I've found a nearly ideal path that opens the plot wide open. We'll see how far this takes me.

I have two theories who the culprit is in ending 6, but ending 5 got confirmed for me by getting some subtle hints from ending 4.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This games sounds/looks like a lot of fun.

However, I am low on funds.

I will probably pick it up when it gets cheap sometime next year.

Also, it's too bad that you have to get the bad end first/ can't get the true ending.

I was going to make a joke about Gaming-Freak being the last person I wanted to be in a survival-horror esque situation with.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    You've got it all backwards buddy. This isn't going to be produced in enough numbers to get cheap. I predict now is the best time to get it before it becomes impossible to find and the price inflates to match that.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know Atlus games have that kind of reputation but I haven't heard Aksys products having the same issue.

Tertiee on
    edited November 2010
    See, that's how bad it is. You've heard of the issue for Atlus, Aksys is so low profile that you don't even hear about the problem.

Anyway I just got this game, I guess I will see what the hubbub is about!

UncleSporky on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Which Aksys games have become hard to find? NONE.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays