As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Double Spoiler

Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham HopelessRegistered User regular
Made a post in the gloss thread and ended up with 2 spoilers with only 1 tag, don't know if this is intentional, happened with an oddly placed color tag it seems

Example

Example

It happens if the tags are layered

Color start
Spoiler start
Color end
spoiler end

but not if you move either the end spoiler to the same line as the end color, or the spoiler start on to a line above the color start.

as far as I know this is a trivial bug and might even be working as intended. But i found it odd.

Bendery It Like Beckham on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Having the opening of one tag in the open and close of another will send a browser's rendering engine in to a panic (called "quirks mode"), but they'll mostly put up with it and try to figure out what you meant. It looks like vB isn't so lenient.

It is a harsh and uncaring deity.

MKR on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm.

Thanks for the report MKR. I looked at the parser code for vB, got scared, and then ran away. It might be trivial to fix, but my PHP / vB-fu is weaker than it was.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2010
    Aren't there code hack sites for vB? I know when UBB was big you could find them all over. I can't imagine it became less common over the decade.

MKR on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just from the feature set, it seems like this install is highly customized, which would make most mods to the code a lot more than a plug and play adjustment.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, we have customized a lot of things to work for us feature-wise as well as some performance tweaks. vB as a platform leaves me in an interesting position. vB4 is bloatware, and my tests show it won't work for us. vB3's future support is... uncertain.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2010
    Didn't you say a while back that you were working on your own forum software in python before the old one got hacked?

MKR on
    edited November 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Didn't you say a while back that you were working on your own forum software in python before the old one got hacked?

It's nothing more than a proof of concept at this point, but, yes. I have it written to run on our own gear, but I've also toyed with the idea of running it on Google App Engine. We would be at the mercy of Google's infrastructure, but it would cut down the operations overhead considerably :wink:

I've also looked at Microsoft's AppFabric/Azure cloud, but it has a higher cost for a lot of features I'm not sure we need on the forums. Ironically, the one thing that Microsoft does better than GAE is full text searching. Go figure.

I'm drifting off topic. If there are enough web devs interested in a thread, I would happily move this discussion to HA or the Tech forum.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited November 2010
    I'd take the rare App Engine downtime over search rate limiting and semi-routine DB errors. They do maintenance, but you can detect that in code and go in to read-only mode.

Can you write DB wrappers so you can switch to another solution if App Engine proves problematic? I've never done anything more complicated than a half-functioning little CMS on it, so I don't know how hard that is at this kind of scale.

edit: It could go in the programming thread over in the tavern

MKR on
    edited November 2010
    I'd take the rare App Engine downtime over search rate limiting and semi-routine DB errors. They do maintenance, but you can detect that in code and go in to read-only mode.

Can you write DB wrappers so you can switch to another solution if App Engine proves problematic? I've never done anything more complicated than a half-functioning little CMS on it, so I don't know how hard that is at this kind of scale.

I could use django-nonrel or something similar, but I'm not sure I want the full overhead of Django. I think to really tune the application for performance would require using a lot of GAE specific APIs / frameworks. I think that just breaking it into MVC will abstract things enough that it could be re-used later.

The main question I have is concurrency of inserts. I need to learn explore entity groups a bit more as it relates to datastore contention.

Right now, I debate between having one entity group per thread vs a "flat" approach.

A thread entity group would allow transactional updating of a thread and a post at the same time. This breaks down under two scenarios:
    1) Really popular threads that receive more than 3-5 writes / second.
    Solution: None. However, any errors would be contained to the thread.
    2) Merging a thread into another / splitting a thread into two threads
    Solution: None. A workaround would be to create new entities on the new thread and delete the old thread. In cases where over 500 posts would change threads, the process might be slow.

Since I'm stuck on a plane, I'll explain my crazy idea. I think I am going to require javascript for logged in users for the new version of the forums. The logic behind the madness is that it allows for a lot of optimizations. If a strongly parented relationship were to be implemented, structure would be very slightly different, it would go
    thread -> page -> post. I've been toying with the idea of using etags with the forum. I would update the page's etag or last-modified when a post is added or edited. My dream would be to throw varnish or a CDN in front the forums and programmatically expire things from the cache.

Älphämönkëy on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you put the forums in GAE you'll have a hell of a time getting the data out if you ever decide to move elsewhere. They limit data dumps in both size and format, do they not?

Jasconius on
    edited November 2010
    MKR on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trust me, I hear you on vb4 being bloatware.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, they've come a long way.

It was only after this announcement that I started looking at app engine. Most of the other restrictions don't really bug me too much.
    • I think pages that take longer than 30 seconds wouldn't scale anyway
    • Software shouldn't write to the filesystem (NFS lock contention is evil)
    • No SSL for custom domains sucks, but we won't use it for the forums anyway
    • Datastore restrictions are annoying, but not unreasonable

Things I'm still miffed about
    • 10 second URL fetches to external servers
    • No support for C Python Libraries (notably PIL)
    • Python 2.5 is an old platform

I'll make you guys a deal, when I start thinking about this seriously, I'll make a thread in the tavern.

Älphämönkëy on