As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Making the Switch, suggestions needed. [Internet TV]

StaleStale Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
So I cancelled my Dish and I'm making the switch over to internet tv.

I have zero funds to build an HTPC, but I'm lucky enough that one of my laptops has an HDMI out.

Where do I go from here? I need some of you digital young-ins to tell me the best way to enjoy the shit I enjoy without giving Directv 160 bucks a month.

I already have a hulu-plus and a netflix account. What else do I need? Where do I go from here?

easysig2.jpg
Stale on

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have no idea, technically you don't need anything. You could be entertained for a long time with only Netflix movies.
    It depends on what shows you want to watch.

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah, I'd say just stop there. If you don't mind being a season or three behind the water cooler discussions, depending on the show, you can watch an awful lot of shit instantly on Netflix, and Hulu fills in a ton of the gaps in their service.

the "Internet TV" trend is picking up enough steam that it's actually possible to check out releases from the company making the show you want to watch that basically say "you can watch our shit online in this fashion, on this date". You'd be surprised how frequently new shit appears on Hulu or instant Netflix within weeks, days, or even hours from airing.

Captain K on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think he means he wants to watch them on his television box and not his computer.

I am curious how that works, as well.

Bedlam on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Both Netflix and Hulu Plus work with the PS3, so I'd say just hook it up that way.

Amazon Video and iTunes both have up-to-date TV shows. I think Amazon has the better service, personally. Those will play through the laptop, though I think an xbox would be an easier option if it's available.

freakish light on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well heres the crux of what I want.

In the living room I have an HDTV hooked up to a PS3. In the Bedroom I have an HDTV hooked up to a 360.

I'd like, with as minimal CPU interaction as possible, to view TV shows. What I DO NOT want to do is cycle through endless bullshit menus, and sub-menus just to reach a loading screen that cycles forever and invariably shits out halfway through a viewing because my wireless momentarily dipped half a percent (looking at YOU netflix).

I also don't want to have to walk someone through a 30 minute tutorial every time they sit on my couch on how to watch TV. I just want it to work.

Yes, I realize I want a lot, but this should not be unreasonable.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    The laptop in question has an HDMI out, and enough muscle to pump out any kind of video I'd like.

It's also not a huge ordeal if I have to move it between rooms for now until I can build a dedicated box for the living room.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know about Hulu, but Boxee integrates Netflix pretty well.

Boxee is a great little media program that you can use to organise and view back videos, but also has a ton of apps that integrate into it and if you get yourself a media centre remote for your laptop you'll be able to control it from the couch. Or, if you've got an Android / iOS device there's an app that works over wifi as a remote which is really useful when it comes to typing.

You can also get a Firefox plugin that adds videos you find on the web to your queue to view at home, which is fun.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's also a plain old bookmarklet for Boxee as well.

It's a fork of XBMC, if you've had any familiarity with it before, Stale.

I've got a Boxee Box, which I've been pretty happy with, aside from a very weird Win7 related bug where if you have a couple of Windows Live features installed the Boxee Box can't see Samba shares. They're working on a fix, though, and plan to have Netflix and Hulu on it soon.

There's also PlayON which is a sort of streamer client thing that you can set up to stream Hulu, Netflix, local video, etc to your 360, not sure about the PS3

http://www.playon.tv/playon

Don't expect to stream anything 1080p using it though.

Abracadaniel on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dan't TV's aren't 1080p anyway.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    in the case of the xbox, hulu plus integration is supposed to be coming in a few months

satansfingers on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Boxxee is good, I never liked playon, it was never very stable for me.

We bought an antenna, put it on our balcony and pointed it at DC. That way I still see some sports and all that.

But basically the key thing that's happened since we dropped cable was that we watch a shitton less television. It's not that we don't watch the quality stuff, we still have "our shows", but we don't fill the free time with garbage any more.

This doesn't really help you at all, I'm just nervous so I'm rambling.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    sickbeard

Abracadaniel on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey smart hero, how is the boxee box? Didn't it come out recently? Love the idea of a dedicated player able to play most any format. I'm thinking of buying it, since $200 is a decent price for it, but I'm just wondering if there've been any bugs/kinks that need to be worked out and I should wait for a 2.0 version or something

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2010
    They've got a few kinks to work out, but it mostly seems to be software related, and they've already pushed one update out to it. The UI isn't as fancy as more recent versions of Boxee, but that's on their laundry list of things to get up and running.

Works with damn near any video format. .mkv, .avi, etc. Handles HD with no trouble
    Works well with my surround sound setup so I can pipe Pandora (through it's Boxee app) and it works like a charm; works great for 5.1 SS movies & shows, too.
    Remote/Keyboard is much better than hunt-and-peck typing with, say AppleTV

Dislikes:
    Currently unable to connect to wifi, so I'm using an Ethernet connection. May be because I'm using Tomato on my router, but others have also reported having connection issues.
    If a video has subtitles built-in to the .mkv container it can be tough to turn them off
    Constantly holding 'wrong end' of remote [just a minor issue, just have to get used to feeling for the little embossed Boxee logo=bottom of remote]
    Keyboard side of remote isn't backlit, so if you need to type something in, better have a flashlight, etc.
    As I mentioned earlier, due to some weird bug in how Samba fileshares are set up in Win7, have to uninstall/disable Windows Live Sign-In Helper application thing to get shares working.
    Webkit-based browser leave much to be desired
    It's locked up a couple times and needed a reboot. No way to reboot from keyboard (like, maybe through a combination of holding remote buttons or something)

Bonus:
    Boxee app for iPhone/iPod works with it over wifi

Things They're Planning To Fix:

Make local content take priority over web-based video, if there's a choice
    Wifi bug fixes
    Fileshare bug fixes
    UI updates
    Better options for IDing videos

edit: double-checking the boxee support forums, there is a known bug when using certain combinations of wifi security settings that they're planning to fix in the next week or so

Abracadaniel on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whatever happened to that crazy keyboard PC with the wireless HDMI? Was that ever released?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited November 2010
    The Asus one?

I'd heard it was a dud.

Abracadaniel on
    edited November 2010
    I really need to get a better wireless router

My Belkin has been a solid trooper for 5 years. Time to put him out to pasture.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought a cheap belkin to replace our 8 some odd year old Linksys but it was crappy, probably because it was a low end model.

I ended up buying a new version of the linksys we had before.

I love me some linksys routers.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited November 2010
    Linksys with ddwrt or tomato is aces

Abracadaniel on
    edited November 2010
    When I bought it, it was the only model that had this new fangled Pre-N

It was creme-de-la-creme

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was using tamato on my old one and it worked really well for a while but since it was old it just sorta died.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Stale,

tryout Play-on. It is a service that runs on your pc, and allows your xbox 360 to connect to it to view any online content hosted by sites or hulu. So for example i paid 39 for a year subscription. the process runs in the background and broadcasts over my wireless network. I than log into my 360 go to video library and you will see your pc-"name" available to select.

NargorothRiP on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You may also want to look at MediaPortal, particularly with the TV Series plugin if you're going to store content locally. It's written by some of the guys who did XBMC but wanted a more flexible product that could do more on a PC platform, so they took the lessons from that and made this.

It's what I use on my dedicated HTPC, but I use it mostly with a TV tuner card and DVB-T digital television for PVR functionality rather than internet TV (no access to Hulu or Netflix here).

I've got a universal remote that's configured up and I've customised some of the look and feel to make a menu page that my wife (or her friends) can use.

That said, running an HTPC can be pretty painful as I'm constantly wrestling with updates breaking interactions between three or four components. Driver and codec wrestling can eat up entire weekends, but I think that's HTPCs in general.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited November 2010
    There's also Plex, an OSX-centric fork of XMBC

Abracadaniel on
    edited November 2010
    Just as an update

Boxee released a firmware update on Thanksgiving, fixed all the issues I've been having with my BBox. Wifi works like a charm, videos with a low frame-rate are running fine, and I'm able to turn off the subs on hard-coded video. Netflix will be out by the end of the year for it and it will be perfect.

Abracadaniel on