As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance: The reason you have a handgun.

I know. I love it. I can't count how many kills I got from it. Probably close to 50 now. Unfortunately, I think that the LAM is more useful to take down the enemies helicopters or spy planes. Nothing makes me smile more than "Scrapped", cause I know how much it pisses me off when it happens to me.

Why is it my crates are always ammo? Aren't they supposed to be random?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Did I mention that Second Chance can go fuck itself? Cuz Second Chance can go fuck itself. I played TDM yesterday where EVERYONE but one person on the enemy team had it. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that there is a good half second or more moment of invincibility that comes with it. So you pop someone, they go down, you keep shooting at them (and hitting dead center with no hit marker to show for it) and you run the risk of going "click-click" on an empty magazine. Then you reload which by now means they've lined you up and are probably killing you.

Granted, I've only died to someone in Second Chance twice (one time was thanks to shitty net code lag issues), but that moment of invincibility really irks me. I know, it's there to give Second Chance a reason to exist, but come on.

yeah it's pretty frustrating, the invincibility lasts just long enough for you to get another shotty round in, too.

As someone who uses Second Chance, it's not that long

It's all about lag. Second Chancers are going to have a different perception than the people putting them into Second Chance. Trust me, with the shoddy net code they have right now, it's a huge delay between going down and being vulnerable again.

As for the pause to adjust for the timing to get a kill, yeah, that is the only option at this point. It's not THAT big of a deal, but when you have nearly an entire team using it, things get... hairy.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *sigh* Exam done, grabbed my controlled and looked forward to fragging mans. Can't connect to Xbox Live.

On the bright side, I now have my ISP and Microsoft playing the blame game on eachother. I think I will go order a pizza.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Did I mention that Second Chance can go fuck itself? Cuz Second Chance can go fuck itself. I played TDM yesterday where EVERYONE but one person on the enemy team had it. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that there is a good half second or more moment of invincibility that comes with it. So you pop someone, they go down, you keep shooting at them (and hitting dead center with no hit marker to show for it) and you run the risk of going "click-click" on an empty magazine. Then you reload which by now means they've lined you up and are probably killing you.

Granted, I've only died to someone in Second Chance twice (one time was thanks to shitty net code lag issues), but that moment of invincibility really irks me. I know, it's there to give Second Chance a reason to exist, but come on.

yeah it's pretty frustrating, the invincibility lasts just long enough for you to get another shotty round in, too.

As someone who uses Second Chance, it's not that long

It's all about lag. Second Chancers are going to have a different perception than the people putting them into Second Chance. Trust me, with the shoddy net code they have right now, it's a huge delay between going down and being vulnerable again.

As for the pause to adjust for the timing to get a kill, yeah, that is the only option at this point. It's not THAT big of a deal, but when you have nearly an entire team using it, things get... hairy.

I can't say I've ever noticed invulnerability frames on Second Chance, if anything SC users are GREAT to get your "Hurt an enemy, reload, kill them" challenge done for Sleight of Hand.

That, and since I'm always aiming slightly down to deal with droopshooters anyway the aim adjustment if minimal at best.

Rodent242 on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    *sigh* Exam done, grabbed my controlled and looked forward to fragging mans. Can't connect to Xbox Live.

On the bright side, I now have my ISP and Microsoft playing the blame game on eachother. I think I will go order a pizza.

They have pizza in sweeden? That's just weird :P

jonny439 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Rodent242 wrote: »

They have pizza in sweeden? That's just weird :P

It's future pizza, 6 hours ahead of the NY Slice.

Edit: Grabbed my controlled? I really do need foodstuffs it seems. Time to run to my spaceship and grab that future pizza.

Rodent242 on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am completely incompetent when it comes to Last Stand. I cannot use it effectively for the life of me, so I've long since given up on it.

Conversely, I think I've been killed by it once in 50 levels. They could remove it from the game and I don't think I'd notice.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackbird is the best killstreak in the game. Holy shit it is hilarious to flank the entire team because you know exactly where they are.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, there's one thing that's bad about it. Teammates going "save me save me!", and then I do, and the enemy shoots me while I'm having a doctor Quinn moment.

Rodent242 on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Playing through again on Veteran
    The whole of Khe Sahn can go suck a dick, seriously! Took me like an hour on the hill with the oil drums alone!

I had no problem with that area. On the other hand, Numbers is kicking my ass.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I noticed the other day that I will literally stop everything I'm doing (hunting an enemy, capturing a flag, grabbing a point in domination, etc) to go revive someone. As I run off, my teammates are yelling at me wondering what the hell I'm doing. I always scream my response through the headset:

"YOU NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND!"
    Of course, 9 times out of 10 we both end up dying but I am what I am. :mrgreen:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When you are using a heart reticule...

...you are shooting love.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    personally my tactic to deal with dropshotters is explained thusly:

prelim: enemy and I encounter face to face
    1) enemy dropshots
    2)a. I stafeshot so he can no longer shoot me, I kill dropshotter
    2)b. (optional) I die
    3) I dust myself off and continue on as normal

it seems the people who endlessly bitch on internet forums deal with dropshotters in this way:

1) enemy dropshots
    2) I stand still and shoot above the dropshotter's head then I die
    3) I endlessly bitch about it on internet forums

Alternatively:
    1) I come face to face with an enemy
    2) We both immediately flop to the ground shooting
    3) I kill him
    4) I get up and still think it's a stupid way to play the game

I know it may sound crazy, but it's possible to not be getting killed by something regularly and still think it's a stupid practice that detracts from the game. Saying "lol suck less kthx" over and over is a juvenile response.

I wasn't saying "lol suck less kthx" so don't be doing silly juvenile debating tactics kthx. I'm actually closer to saying "lol deal with it kthx" except I actually gave a way to deal with it so it'd be even closer to "deal with it, here's how: ... but also accept the fact that sometimes you actually get outgunned and there really isn't much you can do about that."

notice the lack of lol's and kthx's in that response, that was intentional. Having those in your response is very similar when in real life you mock imitate someone you find annoying by intentionally doing an impression that sounds really stupid and the target of your disdain doesn't actually sound like, all in an effort to make them sound that much more annoying.

So please if you could take all the herp and derp out of your future posts then we can discuss this topic civilly and like that of grownups.
    lol kthxbye

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, you did do something similar with the "I endlessly bitch about it" line.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So who's ready for a map pack?

I wish my connection didn't suffer so bad when I played with you guys. It's funny when i watch my last 10 games kdr: you can tell exactly when i start playing with PAers.

What this really means is that I should stop rushing and be more strategic.

belligerent on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm ready for ~4 maps with open sightlines, so that we can finally start using the sniper rifles.

Booker on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Seanron wrote: »
    Playing through again on Veteran
    The whole of Khe Sahn can go suck a dick, seriously! Took me like an hour on the hill with the oil drums alone!

I had no problem with that area. On the other hand, Numbers is kicking my ass.

Yea going down hill in Khe Sahn was one of the most toughest things I had to do on veteran. I finally did beat the game but that moment will always stick with me. Overall I enjoyed the campaign and it did have some cool moments but they needed to raise the bar.

Maybe something like- End game spoilers
    At the end when you get on the boat, have it break up titantic style and you gotta fight bad guys while climbing up. Then maybe have JFK say "screw it" and go on a black op mission with you and you disarm a already launched nuke while in orbit. That's all I got for now.

Gentlemen, I need to know which is the weapon/load-out we use? In MW2 it was I think the FAL/SPAS-12 combo. This game i'm not so sure, I'm thinking M14/Tomahawk combo.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think dropshotters would drive me crazy on a console but on PC it's like "welp, guess i'll use my trusty mouse to keep my shots perfectly lined up on his upper body/head as he drops" done.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So who's ready for a map pack?

I wish my connection didn't suffer so bad when I played with you guys. It's funny when i watch my last 10 games kdr: you can tell exactly when i start playing with PAers.

What this really means is that I should stop rushing and be more strategic.

Yeah, I would like more maps myself.
    I think dropshotters would drive me crazy on a console but on PC it's like "welp, guess i'll use my trusty mouse to keep my shots perfectly lined up on his upper body/head as he drops" done.

You can do the same thing on consoles as long as you're paying attention.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are we still doing a showcase of PA emblems? Here's mine and my brother's
    2qnpoy0.jpg
    21ni8ew.jpg

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    YetiMindTrickYetiMindTrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It's annoying as hell on the console. Especial when they do it at a distance as their hit box decreases as their accuracy simultaneously increases. If you drop to prone prior to pulling the trigger there is a slight delay before you are allowed to shoot. However it appears if you start shooting prior to dropping to prone you can continue to shoot (accurately mind you) all the way though the drop. The difference between both situations makes me think that it was unintended.

Also if anyone remembers when the first Call of Duty came out people were bunny hopping all over the place. They realized how dumb this was in a WWII game and made you’re your ability to shoot disappear when you jumped and the tactic went away.

Personally the way to solve it is to take away the ability to shoot during the drop like it does during an action dive.

YetiMindTrick on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

it seems the people who endlessly bitch on internet forums deal with dropshotters in this way:

1) enemy dropshots
    2) I stand still and shoot above the dropshotter's head then I die
    3) I endlessly bitch about it on internet forums

Alternatively:
    1) I come face to face with an enemy
    2) We both immediately flop to the ground shooting
    3) I kill him
    4) I get up and still think it's a stupid way to play the game

I know it may sound crazy, but it's possible to not be getting killed by something regularly and still think it's a stupid practice that detracts from the game. Saying "lol suck less kthx" over and over is a juvenile response.

I wasn't saying "lol suck less kthx" so don't be doing silly juvenile debating tactics kthx. I'm actually closer to saying "lol deal with it kthx" except I actually gave a way to deal with it so it'd be even closer to "deal with it, here's how: ... but also accept the fact that sometimes you actually get outgunned and there really isn't much you can do about that."

notice the lack of lol's and kthx's in that response, that was intentional. Having those in your response is very similar when in real life you mock imitate someone you find annoying by intentionally doing an impression that sounds really stupid and the target of your disdain doesn't actually sound like, all in an effort to make them sound that much more annoying.

So please if you could take all the herp and derp out of your future posts then we can discuss this topic civilly and like that of grownups.
    lol kthxbye

Please. You don't get to dismiss everyone's well reasoned arguments as "endless internet bitching" and then try and act like some beacon of civility. You might not have said "suck less kthx", but when the copy-paste response to anyone who brings it up boils down to "shoot them more", it's hardly constructive.
    Booker wrote: »
    I'm ready for ~4 maps with open sightlines, so that we can finally start using the sniper rifles.

I would not mind this in the slightest. The maps we have right now are pretty decent overall, but they all seem really close-quarters. I don't have a single custom class right now with a sniper rifle or an ACOG, just because there are no maps open enough to warrant it.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I would not mind this in the slightest. The maps we have right now are pretty decent overall, but they all seem really close-quarters. I don't have a single custom class right now with a sniper rifle or an ACOG, just because there are no maps open enough to warrant it.

Not so much on the ACOG, but the only map where a sniper that isn't ACOG'd is even remotely viable is Array, which still has short sightlines.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

This man has the right idea

tofu on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Not so much on the ACOG, but the only map where a sniper that isn't ACOG'd is even remotely viable is Array, which still has short sightlines.

Yeah. I actually liked the sniper map every now and then.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For those of you whom are having performance problems with the PC version of the game try and update your OpenAL drivers. (from the official creative website)

This suggestion was from a friend of mine so all credits to him. I was discussing how the sound stutters and hitches always appear when certain sound effects are played and he suggested that maybe updating the OpenAL sound API might help with the problem.

The version that was on my PC was older then the one on the Creative site. The easiest way to check the version number is go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL" and hover your mouse over and see in the programs description. The latest one seems to be version 2.0.7.0 that is on the creative site.

Before installing the latest version be sure to uninstall the old one first from "add & remove programs" in control panel then restart. After installing the newest version, check "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL" and see if the version in there reads 2.0.7.0 as well.

Before restarting the game be sure to delete your "config_mp.cfg" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players" folder (I also hate enable Steam community ingame disable). The game will generate a new config file. In the game settings menu ONLY change the resolution setting in the systems tab. Try playing for a few minutes and see if the game still stutters when certain audio is played (do NOT change the r_multigpu or r_multithreaded_device settings). If performance appears to be better then you can continue and go back to change other settings like AA, vsync, etc.

Now this didn't remove the stuttering/hitching completely from the game but I definitely notice a big improvement. It doesn't seem to hitch as much anymore when certain sound ques are played (grenade explosions, hit registration sound etc). Definitely a lot more enjoyable to play now.

Of course I can't guarantee if this will improve anything for you but it's worth a try. Also make sure all your other drivers are up to date.

My Specs:
    Core2Due e8400 @ stock 3GHz
    4GB DDR2
    EVGA 750i FTW (nforce mobo) w/ onboard RealTek sound
    8800GT 512MB
    Win7 Pro 64bit

Interestingly my brother who has a "similar" setup experienced no stutters or hitching at all. Asides from an outdated graphics card driver that caused a BSOD when first playing the game, he's had no problems with his game at all.

His Specs:
    4GB DDR2 (same exact ram model)
    ASUS P5N (intel mobo) w/ onboard RealTek sound
    8800GT 512MB
    WinXP MCE 32bit

Good Luck and let me know if this helped improved your performance at all.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah I just use my trusty analog sticks to keep my shots perfectly lined up on his upper body/head as he drops, too.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jungle seems to have some decent spots too.

Rodent242 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, my newest complaint about this game.

I dislike that there are only three guns in the game.

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle
    And the What the fuck are you using, quit doing it wrong.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, Hanoi seems to have good LOS for snipers. So does the map with the beach, whatever that's called.

EDIT: Hah, AK-74u is my new best friend. Not great from a distance, but it can get the job done.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle

You can use any gun you want that's not a sniper rifle and kill people fine in this game.

My dual wielded PM63 class rips people up

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle

You can use any gun you want that's not a sniper rifle and kill people fine in this game.

That's what I mean when I say all the guns are exactly the same.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that is kind of my problem as I said earlier.

Most of the guns are too samey and don't have very unique personalities(ie shoot mans different).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know, I have to use the AUG differently from the Galil, and I have to use the Uzi different from the PM63

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not all the guns of course.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    For those of you whom are having performance problems with the PC version of the game try and update your OpenAL drivers. (from the official creative website)

This suggestion was from a friend of mine so all credits to him. I was discussing how the sound stutters and hitches always appear when certain sound effects are played and he suggested that maybe updating the OpenAL sound API might help with the problem.

The version that was on my PC was older then the one on the Creative site. The easiest way to check the version number is go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL" and hover your mouse over and see in the programs description. The latest one seems to be version 2.0.7.0 that is on the creative site.

Before installing the latest version be sure to uninstall the old one first from "add & remove programs" in control panel then restart. After installing the newest version, check "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenAL" and see if the version in there reads 2.0.7.0 as well.

Before restarting the game be sure to delete your "config_mp.cfg" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players" folder (I also hate enable Steam community ingame disable). The game will generate a new config file. In the game settings menu ONLY change the resolution setting in the systems tab. Try playing for a few minutes and see if the game still stutters when certain audio is played (do NOT change the r_multigpu or r_multithreaded_device settings). If performance appears to be better then you can continue and go back to change other settings like AA, vsync, etc.

Now this didn't remove the stuttering/hitching completely from the game but I definitely notice a big improvement. It doesn't seem to hitch as much anymore when certain sound ques are played (grenade explosions, hit registration sound etc). Definitely a lot more enjoyable to play now.

Of course I can't guarantee if this will improve anything for you but it's worth a try. Also make sure all your other drivers are up to date.

My Specs:
    4GB DDR2
    EVGA 750i FTW (nforce mobo) w/ onboard RealTek sound
    8800GT 512MB
    Win7 Pro 64bit

Interestingly my brother who has a "similar" setup experienced no stutters or hitching at all. Asides from an outdated graphics card driver that caused a BSOD when first playing the game, he's had no problems with his game at all.

His Specs:
    4GB DDR2 (same exact ram model)
    ASUS P5N (intel mobo) w/ onboard RealTek sound
    8800GT 512MB
    WinXP MCE 32bit

Good Luck and let me know if this helped improved your performance at all.

You know, everyone on the official boards are screaming about the sound causing the issues... and this never crossed my mind. I am looking forward to trying this. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know I'm a bit late for the 2nd Chance discussion, but I posted it before and I'll post it again:

I use it on every class. It's gravy if I kill someone or if I get revived. The whole point is to make sure that someone else gets credit for the kill. Odds are that whoever dropped me is a higher-scoring player, and by allowing someone else to get the kill I increase the chance that someone else gets the kill. It's all about killstreak denial. (This only works if you die a reasonable amount)

mr_mich on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, Hanoi seems to have good LOS for snipers. So does the map with the beach, whatever that's called.

EDIT: Hah, AK-74u is my new best friend. Not great from a distance, but it can get the job done.

Scat is basically wrong again. Array, WMD, Radiation, Jungle, and Havana all have room for sniping. But it's pretty limited on everything but Array, WMD, and Jungle.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle

That's what I mean when I say all the guns are exactly the same.

Shotguns.

Man, you're just trying to find problems with this game.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you guys push the thread over before I can get home and post my sexy sexy emblem I am going to be so mad

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png