As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Tube attach to a gun doesn't mean you don't shoot people with bullets, btw.

Tubes are a situational weapon.

Used in certain situations.

Like a guy in a window, behind cover, while your clips is empty and you can't reload in time, encountering a group or enemy face on, etc.

I also shoot people. This game even records your K:D by weapon shots AND by M203's.

So I can see how many times more kills I have by shooting the M16 than by shooting the Tube. (Sure, the Tube K:d is almost a perfect 2.0 while the M16 is more like 1.6, but the M16 is an order of magitude more kills as well)

*taps foot* I'm waiting on my flamethrower clip.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love how if I don't purposely gimp myself, I'm a tryhard. In response to Acid's post like 4 pages ago. :P

I mean, come on, I'm a barely above average player. I want every advantage I can get. I can run around with an ACOG Uzi and go 15-10, or I can run around with my silenced AUG w/ Ghost and go 25-10. You decide.

EDIT: Until I unlock the MPL again, then it's Yellow Smiley Sight/Grip MPL all day every day.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What does being a "tryhard" mean?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

It means trying really really hard to win at the expense of potential fun.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

I'm not a fan of underpowered gimmick weapons.

Some dude last night was firing one into my face last night as I slowly reloaded my M16 on nuketown. He was behind the car at the green garage. I was at the front garage door. Like 3 inches away.

He even caught me on fire.

Then I shot him once and walked away.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010

I'm not a fan of underpowered gimmick weapons.

Some dude last night was firing one into my face last night as I slowly reloaded my M16 on nuketown. He was behind the car at the green garage. I was at the front garage door. Like 3 inches away.

He even caught me on fire.

Then I shot him once and walked away.

I rest my case.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    edited November 2010

It means using good weapons/classes/perks.

Trying hard to do well in the game.

It is stupid.

Burtletoy on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Based on mercy's context I'm assuming powergamer/stop-at-nothing-to-win/Burtle. (<3 Burtle)

To me tryhard is some combo of famas/noobtube/hardline pro/3-4-5 carepackage bs. I guess being unable to compromise anything for something that's less competitive* but more flavorful.

*define/apply that however you want\

EDIT: Seriously, don't hate on the flamethrower just cause someone sucked at it and you killed him. If that were the case I'd only play 74u/famas. The flamethrower is on the verge of being overpowered and I will rue the day that everyone discovers that.

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010

It is stupid.

That is the tryhard's definition of tryhard.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    edited November 2010

It is stupid.

No need to call people names just because you are wrong.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010

It is stupid.

No need to call people names just because you are wrong.

Actually no, tryhard does indeed mean someone who uses a certain setup to their play to always achieve maximum results every time according to some arbitrary scale skill and will not waver from this setup to the exclusion of any other configuration that may exist for the simple basis of being fun in a different way. What you do.

EDIT: Annnd, I'm done. Enjoy playing your single way.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Oh.

Since were being educational here, what does Weeaboo mean? I don't know and it bugs me.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited November 2010

It is stupid.

Wait. Trying to do well is stupid? Better I just fuck around with the worst weapons/perks I can think of and hopefully not fuck my team over completely? I mean, I like playing with new weapons as much as the next guy, and I've got a shotgun class and an smg rushing class (and it's not even the AK!) and everything else, but when I lose 5 encounters in a row to a guy with a better weapon, I'm not going to keep banging my head against that particular wall. Not that this is always the case, but if Fun Gun One isn't working for me in a given match, I'm going to switch to something that performs better.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited November 2010
    Oh.

Since were being educational here, what does Weeaboo mean? I don't know and it bugs me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeaboo

EDIT: Nevermind that link is useless.

(noun): a non-Japanese person exhibiting an obsessive admiration for Japanese anime that often extends to the broader Japanese culture

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited November 2010
    Can't tell if serious...

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010
    Calling trying in a videogame a bad name is stupid.

Mercey, try to keep up.

You drunk.

Burtletoy on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They should've put the AA12 in as a primary.

I know like 3 of the guns are about 5 to 10 years before they actually existed but the AA-12? That's just getting ridiculous now.

initiatefailure on
    edited November 2010
    The more you know!

*Rainbows!*

Skull2185 on
    edited November 2010
    Calling trying in a videogame a bad name is stupid.

Mercey, try to keep up.

You drunk.
    Tryharding = powergaming. Nobody's saying trying is bad. Powergaming is subjective; some people do it and to varying degrees. Your talent for splitting is impeccable. Or trolling, one of the two. :)

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010

Actually no, tryhard does indeed mean someone who uses a certain setup to their play to always achieve maximum results every time according to some arbitrary scale skill and will not waver from this setup to the exclusion of any other configuration that may exist for the simple basis of being fun in a different way. What you do.

EDIT: Annnd, I'm done. Enjoy playing your single way.

Do you have a camera in my TV room? I mean you keep being wrong about how I play, but you sure think you know a lot about what I do.

Burtletoy on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apparently trying to win in a game where there are in fact winners and losers and one is ostensibly rewarded for being a winner is now somehow wrong. Thanks, BLOPS thread. I had no idea.

twmjr on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh.

Weeaboo is a derogatory term for anime/manga fans. It's stupid.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It is stupid.

Wait. Trying to do well is stupid? Better I just fuck around with the worst weapons/perks I can think of and hopefully not fuck my team over completely? I mean, I like playing with new weapons as much as the next guy, and I've got a shotgun class and an smg rushing class (and it's not even the AK!) and everything else, but when I lose 5 encounters in a row to a guy with a better weapon, I'm not going to keep banging my head against that particular wall. Not that this is always the case, but if Fun Gun One isn't working for me in a given match, I'm going to switch to something that performs better.

Pretty sure he meant using the term as a pejorative is stupid.
    Like calling someone a hardscoper.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm apparently the only one who read that as Brutle saying that calling people tryhards is stupid, and/or the idea of "tryhards" in general is stupid. The only person I've ever heard bitch, in seriousness, about "tryhards" is Scat.

'Cause a SOG guy wearing a Ghost perk raped his grandma and then took a poop on the air filter in his F150.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited November 2010
    also screwing around with random weapon/perk combinations for fun is what private matches are for. if you get your jollies doing it in regular matches, that's fine, but don't whine at the rest of us for not having fun dying 5 million times.

twmjr on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this thread isn't going to last until I get home
    also does anybody else hate how winter has the sun setting at like 4 pm now

it's really fucking with me to go outside and see everything's pitch-black

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Oh.

Weeaboo is a derogatory term for anime/manga fans. It's stupid.

That's a very Weeaboo thing to say.

Algertman on
    edited November 2010
    twmjr wrote: »
    Apparently trying to win in a game where there are in fact winners and losers and one is ostensibly rewarded for being a winner is now somehow wrong. Thanks, BLOPS thread. I had no idea.

Do you guys have access to some posts that my browser is just missing? Who's hating on trying?

Christ, I understand that soundwhoring/hardscoping are retarded terms for...well, skills. But I'm pretty sure tryhard is meant as a synonym for powergamer. Powergamers are not universally loved.

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010
    I'm apparently the only one who read that as Brutle saying that calling people tryhards is stupid, and/or the idea of "tryhards" in general is stupid. The only person I've ever heard bitch, in seriousness, about "tryhards" is Scat.

'Cause a SOG guy wearing a Ghost perk raped his grandma and then took a poop on the air filter in his F150.

Yeah, I get what he's saying now. I read it that way initially, and then re-read it and decided he ... I don't even know. Sorry Brutle! I'm just going to get drunk and forget it happened.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »

Do you guys have access to some posts that my browser is just missing? Who's hating on trying?

Christ, I understand that soundwhoring/hardscoping are retarded terms for...well, skills. But I'm pretty sure tryhard is meant as a synonym for powergamer. Powergamers are not universally loved.

There's at least one person more or less making this argument.

Mostly I'm just being snarky for the sake of being snarky. It's what I do.

twmjr on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Luigi, help me use the FAL.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »

Tryhard defines it self in it's name.

Try(ing)hard.

I guess some people play with their feet? Or something?

Or trysoft?

I don't know what a power gamer is. Someone who switches to tacticool control set-up so they can drop shot erryday? Someone that watches youTube videos of where to line up mortar shots to get first blood every game?

I'm not that guy or even close to it.

But I did run a Sleight of Hand Pro, Stopping Power, SitRep Pro, TAR-21 because it is super effective and I enjoy shooting mans in MW2.

And Scat always called that my try hard class.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010

There's at least one person more or less making this argument.

Mostly I'm just being snarky for the sake of being snarky. It's what I do.
    Fair enough, that person/people is/are retarded.

As someone not making that point...tryhard = powergamer, but a really dumb way to say it. If you have a problem with powergamers, that's a whole different argument beyond the scope of the Blops thread.

I too am snarky.

Back on topic, I've said before I don't really have the expectation of being revived in 2nd Chance Pro. Someone put me there, people can shoot, why would you run in the open to revive me? That being said, if the spawns reset to WHERE I AM, and there's like FIVE FUCKING TEAMMATES next to me, someone could do me the courtesy of holding X for a few seconds. My team lost out on a chopper gunner by letting me die there, and I was kind of glad.

EDIT: Burt, powergaming is a pretty subjective term that varies by game. I used to play a lot of 40k, where guys would use army lists that defied the background and spam one unit that was broken. It was the result of bad game design, and expected in competitive/tournament environments, but when you go to the store to play a game for fun and social interaction it's the worst kind of person to be partnered with.

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010
    Would the TAR-21 even count as a tryhard weapon? I mean, it was also my personal favorite, but damn if that thing didn't require some finesse at 25+ yards. Also, you forgot to accept my apology.

EDIT: Mich, one of my dudes ran past me while I was in SC (I had killed the guy who put me down) and I was like "HEY YOU COME BACK!" and he was all "I'd revive you but you don't have Pro" and I was like "I do too!" and someone was all "He does too!" and then they revived me. It was humorous. And also not really relevant or a very good story.

I fully expect people not in my party to completely ignore me, though.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited November 2010
    I revived Mercy earlier today so we could both die to the grenade next to him together. <3

edit: would just like to state how much I miss my TAR. Aside from akimbo, rapid fire P90s (VRRROOOOMMMMM), it was my favorite gun in MW2.

twmjr on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, I'm relatively new to this using boxes connected to my television to play people over the internet thing

How do I add the meta tags for this?

Do I just send them a friend request on the dashboard?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Would the TAR-21 even count as a tryhard weapon? I mean, it was also my personal favorite, but damn if that thing didn't require some finesse at 25+ yards. Also, you forgot to accept my apology.

That's because I hate you Mercy. (Also why I added an extra e in your name earlier)

Didn't you understand that last night when I ran up to you and lied down next to your last stand corpse and didn't revive you?

I just wanted a front row close-up of your death.

Burtletoy on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Luigi, help me use the FAL.

Don't use the FAL.

Be the FAL.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm relatively new to this using boxes connected to my television to play people over the internet thing

How do I add the meta tags for this?

Do I just send them a friend request on the dashboard?

Send Mercy XXVI a FR, and maybe some other people. We will invite you if we see you on and have room.

EDIT: That's some harsh shit, Brutle. And yes, I remember. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited November 2010

EDIT: Mich, one of my dudes ran past me while I was in SC (I had killed the guy who put me down) and I was like "HEY YOU COME BACK!" and he was all "I'd revive you but you don't have Pro" and I was like "I do too!" and someone was all "He does too!" and then they revived me. It was humorous. And also not really relevant or a very good story.

I fully expect people not in my party to completely ignore me, though.

This entire post means I'm sending you a friend request when I get home.

If only I could get my 360 clips on my computer, I could share my good stories through pictures, which are worth 1000 words. Or videos, which are dozens of pictures, so that's like a million words.

mr_mich on