As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Luigi, help me use the FAL.

Don't use the FAL.

Be the FAL.

Fine, how do I be the FAL? I always get smoked at close range, and I tend to miss the killing shots at mid/long range. Is there an approach or strat I need to adopt? I also don't know how the hell you use those irons.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Would the TAR-21 even count as a tryhard weapon? I mean, it was also my personal favorite, but damn if that thing didn't require some finesse at 25+ yards. Also, you forgot to accept my apology.

EDIT: Mich, one of my dudes ran past me while I was in SC (I had killed the guy who put me down) and I was like "HEY YOU COME BACK!" and he was all "I'd revive you but you don't have Pro" and I was like "I do too!" and someone was all "He does too!" and then they revived me. It was humorous. And also not really relevant or a very good story.

I fully expect people not in my party to completely ignore me, though.

This entire post means I'm sending you a friend request when I get home.

If only I could get my 360 clips on my computer.

If your GT is different than your forum name, send me a voice message as well.

Also, you should be able to get your clips on to Youtube pretty easily, from what I understand. Can't be too hard to download them from there, though I don't know how good the quality would be.

EDIT: Don't be the FAL. Be anything else. Semi-auto ARs are terrible and Luigi is terrible for lying to you about them.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also miss the TAR :( I used silencer on it for stealth build, noob tube on it for OMA bullshit build, and regular for just about everything else.

The FAMAS in BLOPS can go to hell. Maybe it's a connection thing, nobody else has trouble killing my ass with it but I don't have much luck. Give me a M14, G11 or Enfield any day!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Don't use the FAL.

Be the FAL.

Fine, how do I be the FAL? I always get smoked at close range, and I tend to miss the killing shots at mid/long range. Is there an approach or strat I need to adopt? I also don't know how the hell you use those irons.
    Are you good with the M14? Maybe it's possible you just suck with single-shot guns, like me and burst guns.

mr_mich on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish you needed last stand pro to revive someone with last stand pro, so like that if you didn't have it and you came across some poor sap with a revive symbol over them you'd just have to be like "I'm so sorry" and then empty your sidearm into their face to put them out of their misery.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited November 2010

Also, you should be able to get your clips on to Youtube pretty easily, from what I understand. Can't be too hard to download them from there, though I don't know how good the quality would be.

EDIT: Don't be the FAL. Be anything else. Semi-auto ARs are terrible and Luigi is terrible for lying to you about them.[/QUOTE]
    Idk, I linked my account online to my XBL, and to my YouTube, but none of my clips show up there, just the screenshots.

And I'll send you a voice message as well, it is different. I have to work late tonight, and then catch up on the Pens game, but I'll be on around 11PM-3AM EST.

mr_mich on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm relatively new to this using boxes connected to my television to play people over the internet thing

How do I add the meta tags for this?

Do I just send them a friend request on the dashboard?

Send Mercy XXVI a FR, and maybe some other people. We will invite you if we see you on and have room.

EDIT: That's some harsh shit, Brutle. And yes, I remember. :(

Excellent, thanks.

Sent.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

EDIT: Don't be the FAL. Be anything else. Semi-auto ARs are terrible and Luigi is terrible for lying to you about them.
    Idk, I linked my account online to my XBL, and to my YouTube, but none of my clips show up there, just the screenshots.

And I'll send you a voice message as well, it is different. I have to work late tonight, and then catch up on the Pens game, but I'll be on around 11PM-3AM EST.[/QUOTE]

Someone said it only does 30sec max clips atm, were yours bigger?

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Nah these are quick clips of like ~10 seconds. :(

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010

Don't use the FAL.

Be the FAL.

Are you good with the M14? Maybe it's possible you just suck with single-shot guns, like me and burst guns.

Actually I probably just DO suck with the semi-autos. Which is why I'm asking for advice before I just shelve them and go full auto all the time.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only real advice on the semi-autos is "pull the trigger, now pull it quicker"

It sounds snarky, but that's really the only thing you can do better with them.

Use steady aim so you can hip fire close range, and the faster you can pull the trigger the better

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Actually I probably just DO suck with the semi-autos. Which is why I'm asking for advice before I just shelve them and go full auto all the time.
    Ah, ok. I fear it may not be something you can teach, like me and freaking burst guns, but I'll try ;)

The FAL/M14 really shine if you look at those damage charts someone posted a few pages ago. If you can learn to eyeball the range at which damage drops off, you'll have a general distinction between your two engagement ranges.

In close, you can typically do alright hip-firing. ADS really reduces your look sensitivity, so steady aim might be a huge help here. Far away, I tend to get more headshots because I know I may be looking at 3 chest shots, which you just don't have time for.

Also, how are you equipping things? The M14 with a grip is great, the FAL I usually just run plain or with a flamethrower, making CQC a bit easier. I'd advise against any kind of optics if you can learn to love the irons..for me they magnify recoil so that anything after the 2nd shot is just killing birds.

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010
    I do run the M14 with a Grip and ACOG/Red Dot. The FAL I only use Red Dot/Reflex. The main thing for me is the CQC. I'll try Steady Aim and more hipfiring. You'd be suprised how little I use Steady Aim in this game. I'll try the irons some more, but if the accuracy is the same as Red Dot, I may stick with Red Dot, just for comforts sake.

Hiryu02 on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I wish you needed last stand pro to revive someone with last stand pro, so like that if you didn't have it and you came across some poor sap with a revive symbol over them you'd just have to be like "I'm so sorry" and then empty your sidearm into their face to put them out of their misery.

Didn't W@W require that you both be running Second Chance in order to revive?

I got tired of executing teammate Last Stander's in COD4's hardcore. But it was always amusing to hear them bitch because I'm preventing the other team from getting a kill. Despite them being in no position to actually see anyone else much less shoot.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited November 2010
    I do run the M14 with a Grip and ACOG/Red Dot. The FAL I only use Red Dot/Reflex. The main thing for me is the CQC. I'll try Steady Aim and more hipfiring. You'd be suprised how little I use Steady Aim in this game. I'll try the irons some more, but if the accuracy is the same as Red Dot, I may stick with Red Dot, just for comforts sake.

It may just be the ACOG that amplifies recoil. What are you using for perk 2? I was reluctant to try steady aim, which I usually only use on shotties, in favor of sleight of hand or warlord. Then I realized that if I killed people in 3-4 shots, I wasn't reloading that much (SoH) and since the ACOG blew, I didn't need warlord.

A big thing for me was fighting the reflex to ADS in tight; I just couldn't aim fast enough with. Again, that may be ACOG exclusive. You might want to try the flamethrower or, shudder the masterkey?

mr_mich on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance isn't that annoying besides being a hard counter to the shotguns. If I'm using olympia and they go down I usually just tomahawk them or just keep going since they're usually facing the other way.

BlindPsychic on
    edited November 2010
    The SoH I don't use much, mainly because yeah if my clip is empty, either you are dead or I am. I think Steady Aim may make a difference, especially if I can train myself to quickly hipfire in CQC.

Hiryu02 on
    edited November 2010
    Another trick, which may be entirely in my head, is finding the release point on your controller, if you play console.

I noticed on my controller that I only have to let the right trigger out slightly before pulling it again to register another shot. When I played at a buddy's house, I had to let the trigger all the way out and it totally gimped me. Like I said...maybe mental, not sure why the hell that happens, but it's worth considering.

mr_mich on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance doesn't bother me because if they're bad enough to need a perk that is only active after they've died, I'm winning anyways.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance isn't that annoying besides being a hard counter to the shotguns. If I'm using olympia and they go down I usually just tomahawk them or just keep going since they're usually facing the other way.

For me, when I'm using the Olympia against Second Chancer's, I just push the knife button, since I should be pretty close to their falling corpse, the lunge will take care of most of the travel

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It pisses me off that 75% of the people run by me when I'm down with second chance pro. Assholes.

Hoz on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We're all thinking "Why the hell isn't he running hacker instead?" as we do it! :P

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    We're all thinking "Why the hell isn't he running [strike]hacker[/strike] Marathon instead?" as we do it! :P

Yeah.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited November 2010
    I run Second Chance on my dual wield class, simply because anything else is pointless. It's not accurate enough for Hacker, no point in Marathon, and I don't have the other perks bought due to not caring. Second Chance however lets me get in another kill or two, or even get back up and continue to piss people off with oddly accurate guns.

elliotw2 on
    edited November 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I run Second Chance on my dual wield class, simply because anything else is pointless. It's not accurate enough for Hacker, no point in Marathon, and I don't have the other perks bought due to not caring. Second Chance however lets me get in another kill or two, or even get back up and continue to piss people off with oddly accurate guns.

what

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the tryhard I was talking about was simply the person who chooses their weapons entirely on min-maxing the stats of their builds. IE, someone who uses the ak74 only because someone told them (or they looked up on gamefaqs) that the ak74 is the best weapon in most situations, and then never deviates from that build. I'm not really saying that's good or bad, but that's like people picking Sagat in super turbo or starfox in smash bros entirely because they are theoretically "better" than other options in the game. I certainly use it pejoratively, but that shouldn't stop you from using it.

There's really nothing I can do about it except bitch endlessly on the internet.

Personally, I'd rather play around and explore the different weapon combos.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited November 2010

what

If I don't start shooting at someone within the normal sprint radius, then I'm doing this class wrong. Also, I tend to die a lot, and this gives me a potential change to at least poke someone with a M1911

elliotw2 on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    elliot, you need to be converted to the church of the steakhouse.

run a grip steakhouse, marathon pro, lightweight pro, and either SoH or SA. Then any time you ever get the jump on an enemy, you have to action dive and then kill them when you land. Also, be sprinting at all times, dive out windows and/or off the farthest falls in the game every single time. Pick dual ballers or dual CZ75's if you went with SA, extended mag ballers or CZ75 if you have SoH.

Sure it puts you at a severe disadvantage but it's fucking fun as hell.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    We're all thinking "Why the hell isn't he running [strike]hacker[/strike] Marathon instead?" as we do it! :P

Yeah.

Marathon remains one of two perks I haven't bought... along with Flak Jacket, lost to the heap of unused and unloved

initiatefailure on
    edited November 2010
    I made a class called NUKETOWN that has Flack Jacket, Hardened Pro and Mask. I know I don't actually take more bullets, but it still feels like walking around in a tank.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited November 2010
    This is my emblem
    emblemj.png

And I have the new OP all set up, just say the word.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought we were going to start using the WANG tag

tofu on
    edited November 2010
    I rocked it for a while but there was so much confusion

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty that is pretty awesome okay?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited November 2010

run a grip steakhouse, marathon pro, lightweight pro, and either SoH or SA. Then any time you ever get the jump on an enemy, you have to action dive and then kill them when you land. Also, be sprinting at all times, dive out windows and/or off the farthest falls in the game every single time. Pick dual ballers or dual CZ75's if you went with SA, extended mag ballers or CZ75 if you have SoH.

Feh, Steakout, made for wimps. Real men use the Olympia. All the other shotguns feel like the are shooting tiny squishy peas of not-death at my enemies.

elliotw2 on
  • YetiMindTrickYetiMindTrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is something satisfying about hitting the other team in their spawn with a napalm strike and then intentionally holding back to ensure they respawn in the flames and think: "Let them burn..."

YetiMindTrick on
    edited November 2010

Feh, Steakout, made for wimps. Real men use the Olympia. All the other shotguns feel like the are shooting tiny squishy peas of not-death at my enemies.

the only way you could possibly be more wronger is if you were groltag.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel like the stakeout is just a pump action SPAS with less ammo.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Bah. You kill 1 or 2 and then you die because you're stuck reloading forever (even with SoH). It's all about the Stakeout.
    SLyM wrote: »
    I feel like the stakeout is just a pump action SPAS with less ammo.

I've found the Stakeout to be noticeably more powerful. Way more one-shots with it than the SPAS.

BionicPenguin on
    edited November 2010

Bah. You kill 1 or 2 and then you die because you're stuck reloading forever (even with SoH). It's all about the Stakeout.

I've gotten 4-5 killstreaks with the Olympia before. The pistol slot isn't there for decoration you know.

elliotw2 on