As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen Scott's [chat]ada

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    This is on the front page of HuffPo.

Love this commercial.

"Opulence. I has it."

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/222198/thumbs/r-OPULENCE-huge.jpg

I was trying to figure out why in the fuck that couch looked so familiar

Then I realized I'd seen Jenna Haze get rogered on it

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

You know, I was thinking the other day how much better writing in video games needs to be.

It really would help leaps and bounds I think if the Non-player characters weren't solely dependent on Player input and decisions for their own growth. But then, would it just feel scripted and pointless when and as they change if it wasn't as a direct result of something you did?

I don't know. Interesting questions.

This.

Everytime a game get's a "10/10" and reviewers wax on poetically about it's story and shit I just roll my eyes.

People are easily fucking impressed now days.

My favorite part of ME1 was the Luna mission and not because it was super awesome or anything but because it's the culmination of tons of other subtle bits thrown throughout the story.

Then I translated the broadcasted binary at the end of that mission and just kinda sat there and thought about what had just happened.

That's decent writing.

What was the binary?
    HELP

More specifically... Luna spoilers.
    You go through the entire game dealing with what it means to be an AI, what it entails, whether or not they have rights, etc. It's never really settled on and a few missions kinda center around it but the problem is never approached until the Luna mission.

You are lied to by a government that has been telling you that AI is terrible and illegal and is responsible for the Geth.

Then that government sends you into the Moon base to destroy a defense computer that's gone haywire. By the end you find out that it's a sentient being that cares about it's existence and is only defending itself.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    In fact I kind of don't give a shit about any of my crew except Garrus.

Tali is cool but I don't think I'd miss her if she never came back.

Garrus is my favorite so far.

I liked Kaidan as well. My crew was basically Kaidan, me, blue chick.

But mostly I did all the work and they were useless. ME2 is much better. Writing and characters and gameplay and everything.

Male shep or femshep?

I think I'd like Kaidan better if I were a male shep. He's trying way too hard to get in my pants and it's kind of creeping me out.
    he's got a crush on youuuuu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPJcQOhsR0&feature=related

Elendil on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    whoa what the hell

since when were movies released on WEDNESDAYS

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I need to find a super awesome boxed set or something for this coupon.

60% off man.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You know, I was thinking the other day how much better writing in video games needs to be.

It really would help leaps and bounds I think if the Non-player characters weren't solely dependent on Player input and decisions for their own growth. But then, would it just feel scripted and pointless when and as they change if it wasn't as a direct result of something you did?

This.

Everytime a game get's a "10/10" and reviewers wax on poetically about it's story and shit I just roll my eyes.

My favorite part of ME1 was the Luna mission and not because it was super awesome or anything but because it's the culmination of tons of other subtle bits thrown throughout the story.

Then I translated the broadcasted binary at the end of that mission and just kinda sat there and thought about what had just happened.

That's decent writing.

God yes. the writing in SC2 nearly ruined it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I prefer femshep just for the voice actress

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

This.

That's decent writing.

What was the binary?
    HELP

More specifically... Luna spoilers.
    You go through the entire game dealing with what it means to be an AI, what it entails, whether or not they have rights, etc. It's never really settled on and a few missions kinda center around it but the problem is never approached until the Luna mission.

You are lied to by a government that has been telling you that AI is terrible and illegal and is responsible for the Geth.

Then that government sends you into the Moon base to destroy a defense computer that's gone haywire. By the end you find out that it's a sentient being that cares about it's existence and is only defending itself.

Yeah, I kind of gathered that, although I don't think I've yet uncovered anything that suggests that
    the official origin story of the Geth, that they were the result of out-of-control Quarian AI, is a lie. But I have been half-expecting to find out that they were somehow planted or uplifted by Prothean or Reaper technology or something.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    the geth don't really get elaborated on until ME2, where they get a lot of critical backstory

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This.

That's decent writing.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I really enjoyed the ending to Shadow of the Colossus. I wouldn't say it was powerful, exactly. But it was certainly not completely impotent. Putting real significance to what had been so far kind of a string of nearly unrelated boss fights... I really enjoyed that game. The slow 16 battle realization that, "Hey... Is this... really ok?" Especially at that little bull...

Also, Majora's Mask is under-appreciated On a wide scale, it certainly isn't ignored by games as art hippies and Zelda fans [tiny]I'm more the former[/tiny]for it's writing as well. The dialogue and all wasn't fantastic, and the main story was plain. But the atmosphere and environment were what really, really made it memorable.

For instance, you get your Deku mask in the beginning of the game for free, and later find a Deku statue. All the other transformation masks from from a dying member of that race. And then later you find a Deku butler looking for his son. You don't have to find him. He's just a character wandering around a house. Completely ignorable.

Then there's the idea of the world ending in 3 days, that love story that takes like 4 or 5 trips back to get it to work, just to watch them embrace each other knowing death is coming, and then that moment where you have to rewind time again, and erase all your work, and their love...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the geth don't really get elaborated on until ME2, where they get a lot of critical backstory

Gotcha.

Okay. Neat.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Do the Luna quest regardless because it lets you add a second class.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Void has a good story.

Cinders on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    renegade garrus is pissing me off lately

he doesn't have the maturity for to be properly renegade

Elendil on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You got great taste Feral, same desicions/feelings I made.

(Real Spoiler)
    You'll regret putting Wrex down like a rabid dog, it sorta fucks over the Krogans future as a race in the sequel.

Leitner on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the way ME1 and 2 deal with the concept of the greater good.

It's not quite as badass as KOTOR was, but still..
    You get the option to wipe out an entire species on more than one occasion.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    renegade garrus is pissing me off lately

he doesn't have the maturity for to be properly renegade

paragon garrus is best garrus

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I should get the next [chat]

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

oh, Jennifer Hale....

she also did Bastila and Jaden Korr

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The episode of breaking bad where Hank gets a fake phone call telling him his wife is dead or dying

and then he tracks down who he thinks did it and beats the fucking hell out of him

I hope that happens to this prank caller

that was a really harsh episode

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

oh, Jennifer Hale....

and Samus

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What I find interesting about Garrus's facism is that it kind of works. The supplement materials say that species is genetically inclined to self-sacrifice for the greater good, and that ambition is frowned upon. So there's no need for the Turians to have the same legal checks and balances against individual megalomania that humans need. It's not the way they think.

Turians come as close to the notion of a "benevolent dictator" as a not-omniscient being could possibly come. So even though Garrus is acting in a way that would be absolutely reprehensible in a human, because of his culture it kind of works.

Feral on

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

oh, Jennifer Hale....

and Samus

how much does Samus even say

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Same. Deliveries are better, and I enjoy having a female protagonist who is just a protagonist. Not a set of boobs with a gun.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    whoa what the hell

since when were movies released on WEDNESDAYS
    They always do that before Thanksgiving. Christmas is the same way.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is Tracey Morgan and the blond chick the only actors on 30 Rock's TGS or do we just never get to look at the other cast?

For the first couple of Seasons, there's a third actor named Josh who does terrible impressions. He just... stops being a character on the show eventually.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

oh, Jennifer Hale....

and Samus

how much does Samus even say

"agh!"

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just realized... Mass Effect is Star Trek.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That Telltale Poker game is fun!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Same. Deliveries are better, and I enjoy having a female protagonist who is just a protagonist. Not a set of boobs with a gun.

Yeah, I mean she's far from the hottest female character in both games, including NPC's, but she commands a presence and doesn't take any shit, regardless of the path you take.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What I find interesting about Garrus's fascism is that it kind of works. The supplement materials say that species is genetically inclined to self-sacrifice for the greater good, and that ambition is frowned upon. So there's no need for the Turians to have the same legal checks and balances against individual megalomania that humans need. It's not the way they think.

Turians come as close to the notion of a "benevolent dictator" as a not-omniscient being could possibly come. So even though Garrus is acting in a way that would be absolutely reprehensible in a human, because of his culture it kind of works.

From all the Turian lore in ME1 and ME2, the Turians seem to basically be The Roman Empire IN SPAAAACE.

Of course, Garrus eventually becomes The Goddamn Batman, so the concept of the Turians as some gladiatorial hive-mind isn't perfect.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Fem Shep would have gotten Voyager home in four series.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

300px-UrielSeptim.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

less flute playing, more headbutting aliens

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That Telltale Poker game is fun!

I've spent way more time than I should playing a throwaway Poker game. And I don't even have TF2!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will forever wonder why they didn't get Ed O'Neill in on the Married with Children gag on Futurama.

They did it on 8 Simple Rules.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is Tracey Morgan and the blond chick the only actors on 30 Rock's TGS or do we just never get to look at the other cast?

For the first couple of Seasons, there's a third actor named Josh who does terrible impressions. He just... stops being a character on the show eventually.
    He gets fired I believe.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    you guys are gonna spoil the game for me. i just know it! i'm going to hella play mass effect over the thanksgiving break. my girlfriend's going to be all cooking and i'm going to be all pew pew pew.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    goodbye my little [chat]

I scarcely knew ya

desc on
This discussion has been closed.