As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You've got to know when to fold'em... (poker thread)

2»

• TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They’re very good at cheating?

Trexy on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The thing is, a lot of games (especially stud games with community cards) are geared more toward strategic betting than blind luck.

Still, I have seen a lot of guys that should've mucked before the flop bet stupid, only to hit something totally retarded on the river.

Luck is definitely still involved.

naporeon on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And man, fuck the dudes who play poker on TV. There isn't one yet I've seen that isn't a fat asshole with stubble. Rich...but still.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you who think poker is a lot of luck.

Why do you see the same people making final tables and winning tournaments? If it was 50% luck, you wouldn't see the same people in final tables year after year.

Yeah, I liked Rounders, too.

Javen on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I lost in the final round. 3 hands in, got dealt pocket sixes, i raise, guy reraises, I go all-in thinking he has AK or something. He calls and shows pocket 8's. I lose, but turn $5 into $36, so it's all good.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited May 2007
    Also, if you're looking to win cash at Hold 'Em:

fixed limit > no limit

naporeon on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For some reason, I play A LOT differently heads-up then when I am playing with a full table.

Full table cups is cautious and plays tight and aggressive when he gets a hand

Heads up cups will reraise you with 3-7 offsuit and be out into a flop of A-K-Q

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    For some reason, I play A LOT differently heads-up then when I am playing with a full table.

Full table cups is cautious and plays tight and aggressive when he gets a hand

Heads up cups will reraise you with 3-7 offsuit and be out into a flop of A-K-Q

Well that's how you're supposed to play, though maybe not THAT aggressive

If you're playing 1v1, there's a lot fewer hands that can beat you than if you were against 9 other people.

Javen on
    edited May 2007
    Oh man, I just remembered a great story.

I was playing in a house game, once. A total berry patch. I was kind of half playing, half tutoring. We were playing no limit Texas Hold 'Em. Mainly, I was helping people recognize the more common tells. One that I really focused on is the good hand slouch; most experienced players can recognize when an inexperienced player has good cards, because he'll lean back in his seat.

One of the guys, this Vietnamese fella named Hai, was making a little headway, but his betting was pretty transparent. Basically, you could always tell the quality of his hand by his betting pattern.

So we are checking out our hole cards on one hand, and he is like two or three off the button, so he calls. I'm looking at big slick, so I raise. He stays in, along with a couple other guys. Post-flop, he checks. Now, I am looking at two pair after the flop, with two cards to go. I raise aggressively. He fucking re-raises. I am smelling a bluff, so I go all-in.

Then I notice that motherfucker is leaning way back in his seat.

Fucker slow-played me. As it turns out, he hit trip Aces on the flop, and went on to have Aces over sixes, I believe.

I didn't get knocked out on that hand, but I might as well have. I was severely short-stacked, and was out not long after.

tl;dr I ignored my own goddamned advice, and got tore the fuck up.

naporeon on
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I decided to log in and play some online poker.

Limed into a 0.25/0.50 table with $10, currently sitting on $107.

10 man table.

gazamc on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hold 'em is largely a skill-based game, and you can make a living if you're good...but luck definitely plays a factor, more than the average professional will admit.

When I hear a tournament announcer say "It's not gambling for these people..." I want to smack them, because it's still gambling, it's just they are gambling with the odds in their favor. Poker skills only help you calculate the odds and play smart, all the skill in the world can't stop somebody from running to the river and managing to beat your monster hand in a pot you have a significant investment in, if your luck happens to go sour.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You are right, you can bluff all you want, you eventually need the cards to strike it big. Nobody ever went home a winner when the cards have been giving you shit all night.

I walked out with $127, not bad for 20 minutes work.

Now i have to go to work, to earn a real living.

gazamc on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A buddy of mine won ten grand playing poker a while back, i want to get better at it so i can replicate that sort of luck

I love playing poker but i always get my ass kicked

i go for long shots waaaay too fucking often

too much TV

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    A buddy of mine won ten grand playing poker a while back, i want to get better at it so i can replicate that sort of luck

too much TV

Limit hold-em in particular is often jokingly nicknamed Texas Fold-Em, simply because one of the best strategies is to find a loose table and throw away hands until you pull monsters then milk the table with one or two big hands. I've done this online a few times and my poker skills are terrible, but I have still made significant amounts of money.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, that's what I really should do, but I get impatient and want to win quickly, naw'mean? I gotta work on my willpower.

Speaking of willpower, I need another pack of smokes. (Fallout equips pants)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »

too much TV

Limit hold-em in particular is often jokingly nicknamed Texas Fold-Em, simply because one of the best strategies is to find a loose table and throw away hands until you pull monsters then milk the table with one or two big hands. I've done this online a few times and my poker skills are terrible, but I have still made significant amounts of money.
    Fucking exactly.

That's why I said:
    naporeon wrote: »

fixed limit > no limit

naporeon on
    edited May 2007

too much TV

Fucking exactly.

That's why I said:

fixed limit > no limit

Yeah you are absolutely right, that is probably even an understatement. I once heard a professional describe No Limit Hold 'em as "a psychological slaughter", and that is pretty much what it is. I've never even played a cash no-limit game, I don't have the nerves for it.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
    edited May 2007

too much TV

Fucking exactly.

That's why I said:

fixed limit > no limit

Yeah you are absolutely right, that is probably even an understatement. I once heard a professional describe No Limit Hold 'em as "a psychological slaughter", and that is pretty much what it is. I've never even played a cash no-limit game, I don't have the nerves for it.
    See, the issue with me is that it only takes one retard making a bad call but getting the right card to ruin your shit in No Limit. I have the nerve, but I get really frustrated when I make the right call, and only lose because some dipshit gets a fucking thousand-to-one hand because he made a bad call and stayed in.

I mean, that can still happen in Fixed Limit, but you won't be losing your whole kitty.

It's just way more strategic, and for the most part, you never bluff. You just play your good hands and ride off to glory on your gigantic pile of monies.

naporeon on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why do people keep bitching that they sometimes lose? It's gambling, not baseball.

If you go all in with an 83% chance to win, that's only an 83% chance to win. I wish people would man up and stop expecting to follow some rules and win every time.

Strato on
    edited May 2007
    Who's been bitching about losing?

Losing comes with the territory.

I hate losing to a fucking idiot who is "fighting the chimp", as we call it.

naporeon on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am bad at poker

mainly because I don't play it very often

not really suprising

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm good in the sense that I only play people who are terrible and drunk.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031