As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

• Options
    HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    American's need Thanksgiving in November as a reminder that OH SHIT I need to buy christmas gifts

Huntzy on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm just praying to Tzeentch to guide me away from all the angry and/or psychotic customers

Hopefully no prayers to Khorne will be needed

Farangu on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ah, I worked in retail once during Shopmas. A big and tall store! Horrible times.
    End result was me realizing what I would become, leaving the job forever, and losing 200lbs

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trust me Matrias, I'm trying. It doesn't help that I decided to get a degree in a field that disintegrated the moment I got my diploma.

Farangu on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I worked retail at a GW store for several Christmases.

It was both the best and worst thing ever.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I tried asking this in the D&D reading thread, but got no responses. Just finished reading Abnett's Horus Rising, after hearing that he is writing some great stuff in the 40k universe. I'm interested in the rest of the Horus Heresy story, but I'm cautious about proceeding. How do the books by the other authors hold up compared to Abnett? Are they decent, or should I stick to just Abnett's stuff?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    So I tried asking this in the D&D reading thread, but got no responses. Just finished reading Abnett's Horus Rising, after hearing that he is writing some great stuff in the 40k universe. I'm interested in the rest of the Horus Heresy story, but I'm cautious about proceeding. How do the books by the other authors hold up compared to Abnett? Are they decent, or should I stick to just Abnett's stuff?

There was quite a good thread about the Horus Heresy series in The Writer's Block, but I can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll edit this post with a link...

From the sound of it most people have enjoyed the other authors' works; Graham McNeill has contributed some very good entries to the series and I can personally attest that 'Flight of the Eisenstein' by James Swallow is amazing.

There are a couple of duds like 'Descent of Angels' and 'Battle for the Abyss' which aren't actively bad, just nowhere near as good as the rest. But as books about Warhams go, I'd say overall the Horus Heresy series is pretty solid stuff.

edit: Found it!

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I fixed that hammer on my MoF. Pics over in the painting thread if you're interested :)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The books through Fulgrim are great. Then you can skip to Legion or Thousand Sons. Unless you have a particular interest in the Dark Angels, I hear their books aren't that great.

As far as Black Library authors go, Abnett is widely regarded as the best. Graham McNeill is my favorite HH author, though. I really liked False Gods, Fulgrim and Thousand Sons. They are all solid books.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I agree mr. Nuts. Not got to Thousand Sons yet but Fulgrim is my favourite.

Anyway, had my 3rd DE game tonight, this time against mech Tau. I, er, lost again.
    My tactics were a lot more solid I think, however I suffered from the fact that my Dark Lances could not open up his vehicles. I shook and stunned loads but didn't even manage to blow the weapons off anything. On the plus side, my jetbikes finally did something awesome. Kept them in reserve before turbo boosting across the board to slaughter a whole unit of fire warriors in one flyby attack. Yeah, Fire Warriors are not very impressive I know, but it was still cool :P

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm reading The First Heretic now and I'm really enjoying it.

I also really liked Fulgrim and Thousand Sons. Like many of the HH books they made me reconsider how I view a few legions.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Retail at a GW on Black Friday seems like it wouldn't be too bad, seeing as they have no deals and charge you for the cool things they're supposed to hand out free.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did you reconsider your flawed opinion that the Emperor's Children were not the best legion, to the correct opinion that the EC were the best legion?

Dayspring on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The thing about Fulgrim (and most all the "official" slaanesh fiction outside of the Liber Chaotica) is that I could almost feel when the author ran into a brick 'this far and no further' wall of self-censorship when it came to describing the depths of depravity to which these people were slowly sinking.

I mean I know and understand why it was done; these books are available for sale without restriction to anyone who walks into a GW and also a large number of more mainstream book sellers, but it still felt a little jarring.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nechriah wrote: »
    Zedar wrote: »

There was quite a good thread about the Horus Heresy series in The Writer's Block, but I can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll edit this post with a link...

From the sound of it most people have enjoyed the other authors' works; Graham McNeill has contributed some very good entries to the series and I can personally attest that 'Flight of the Eisenstein' by James Swallow is amazing.

There are a couple of duds like 'Descent of Angels' and 'Battle for the Abyss' which aren't actively bad, just nowhere near as good as the rest. But as books about Warhams go, I'd say overall the Horus Heresy series is pretty solid stuff.

edit: Found it!

Ah, thanks for that. I guess I'll press on and see how I fare. If the rest of the books are even half as good as Horus Rising was I'll be happy.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I bet you will really like False Gods and Galaxy in Flames as it follows the same characters. Then you switch gears beginning with FotE. I got about 100 pages in before I realized it wasn't a direct chronological sequel and had to reread it from the beginning -- so keep that in mind. At first I didn't like it, but it really grew on me as it pressed on. As others have said, most of the books are really awesome. I think you'll enjoy them!

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Black Friday is the single worst thing, ever

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry Nax. In a show of solidarity, I will sleep in and not buy a single thing tomorrow...Unless something on Amazon blows me away.

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Matrias wrote: »
    We've already had thanksgiving in October.

pff. Americans. silliest of geese.

I pity any and all men who limit their turkey feasts to any specific days just because that's tradition.
    Turkey should be a year round food. Maybe you limit the sides to stuffing or mashed potatoes and some veggies to lighten the work load, but there's no reason not to get a turkey breast and cook it up on a cool fall day, or smoke one in the summer. And there's no wrong season for leftover turkey sammiches.
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    Sorry Nax. In a show of solidarity, I will sleep in and not buy a single thing tomorrow...Unless something on Amazon blows me away.

I'll stand with Slapnuts here. I'll sleep in and not buy a single thing at a store all day. Note: online doesn't count, cause it's entirely possible that's where I'm shopping for my secret Santa, and if they've got a good sale all the better.

see317 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Back when I was on my break from all things 40k, my brother came up to me with a HH book. Said it was a cool series and explained, obviously, what went on with the Horus Heresy. So I read it, had a good ol' time, got to the end. I asked him for the next book. But it wasn't to be.

He'd given me Galaxy in Flames.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nax, apropos of nothing, what armies are you playing these days?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really enjoy the Horus Heresy books, but would actually advice people to stay away from 'Battle for the Abyss'. It's really "meh".

Niklas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nax, apropos of nothing, what armies are you playing these days?

Blood Angels and Blood Angels alone :) I've gotten rid of everything else

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I woke up at 8:30 on my day off today to begin the task of painting 16 Heavy Weapon Squads in one day.

5208572187_e648875d9c_b.jpg

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Happy Black Friday, gents. I purchased a GW monster carrying case and some termies today.

Here are some pics of some happy things:
    pm1.jpg

pm2.jpg

pm3.jpg

pm4.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so, the new flying stands are pretty great for DE raiders.
    The smaller ones, whilst better than they used to be, still result in jetbikes falling off them a lot of the time, so I'm going to put them on scenic bases like I did for my craftworlders.

My question is, which would look better? Bike bases, or terminator bases? My guardian jetbikes are on termy sized bases, but I have some biker bases kicking about I could use.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nax wrote: »

Try working one where you boss freaks out it's well worth the hell it turns into

As for HH books I do want one for the Imperial Fists but I have a feeling they are going to do books about the Universe after HH

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I dunno. Working at Wal-Mart on Black Friday can be pretty entertaining (watching two moms fist fight over Care Bears has been one of the single greatest memories of my life).

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I dunno. Working at Wal-Mart on Black Friday can be pretty entertaining (watching two moms fist fight over Care Bears has been one of the single greatest memories of my life).

Why the hell didn't you record that thing?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Why the hell didn't you record that thing?

The era before Cel phones

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think we were all too busy laughing way too hard at them.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hear you guys like autism... I mean, aurtards... err... I mean Autarchs.

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blog-post/eldar-campaign-heroes

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dude's fucking wailing on that sniper rifle like a guitar.
    Awesome

Dayspring on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, anywhere online having one of them dang-fangled super awesome sales? I need to buy more mans.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    Happy Black Friday, gents. I purchased a GW monster carrying case and some termies today.

Here are some pics of some happy things:
    pm1.jpg

pm2.jpg

pm3.jpg

pm4.jpg

Those are deliciously gay.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    warstore's doing an extra 5% off until midnight on monday with a code

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, 3 hours left of my shift.... it feels like I have been here for months

Nax on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You have been!
    Squats came back, 8 new marine books came out, and 6th edition dropped.
    Tim still plays guard though.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I got the battlefoam 1520XL.

I specifically optimized for what I think I will need:

3 basilisks
    9 leman russ (or equiv sized tanks)
    6 chimera hulls
    8 Sentinels
    20 heavy weapons teams
    191 troops (various sizes, incl. banners etc)
    15 terminators (ogryn)
    20 assault marines (uh... )
    6 bikes (rough riders?)

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    So I got the battlefoam 1520XL.

I specifically optimized for what I think I will need:

3 basilisks
    9 leman russ (or equiv sized tanks)
    6 chimera hulls
    8 Sentinels
    20 heavy weapons teams
    191 troops (various sizes, incl. banners etc)
    15 terminators (ogryn)
    20 assault marines (uh... )
    6 bikes (rough riders?)
    Hmmm link? That actually sounds like something I could use regularly.

Day you said that like it was new info.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.