As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely internal fracture in my favorite glass... Might it still be ok?

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So earlier in the year I went on a vacation to Ireland, which was the most awesome vacation I've ever been on. My favorite souvenir from this trip was a nice glass from the Guinness storehouse.

Today, I pulled it out of the dishwasher, and it was warm but not really hot, so I figured it was fine to throw some ice and coke in it. Not so. After I finished my drink, I noticed this:

Outside view:
9eanA.jpg

Inside:
QGEot.jpg

Except, the glass is really thick and the crack appears to be completely internal. I've spent awhile very carefully feeling it with my fingernails, both outside and inside the glass, and it doesn't seem to come to the surface at any point. There's no unevenness at all.

Basically, my question is this: If I'm very careful from now on with this glass, will it still be usable, or is it just a matter of time before it breaks for real?

edit: I just realized the pictures aren't clear on one point: The crack doesn't continue very far up the glass, only about half an inch to an inch up on either side of its U shape.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Past experiences would lead me to believe that glass is doomed.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Once it cracks, it never goes back.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Set it on a shelf and store pens in it or something. I wouldn't trust it with fluids.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Doesn't seem very unique.

Buy another and not risk having to clean up a ton of broken class in your dishwasher?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, this is a bummer, I was afraid of this.

Thanks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it will be fine right up until the moment when it shatters because you tip it over on a table or put it down too hard

and let this be a lesson to you: don't subject regular glass to sudden, extreme changes in temperature

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010