As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gift Ideas for nerdy artsy girls! (The gifting)

Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, christmas is right around the corner and I'm really at a loss on what to buy my girlfriend.

I've already got the next three installments of The Dresden Files on order from Amazon, but I don't really know what else to get her, since what we both love varies by a lot (mostly.)

She doesn't play many video games, but she does enjoy tabletop RPG's. She also doesn't have a Blu-ray player or a nice TV, so.

Things she likes, rated 1-5. I will also list examples of things she likes in the categories. I seriously have no idea how to buy gifts, I usually just get gift cards, but everyone told me that it would be to impersonal.
Painting (5)
Writing (4) (She reallllyyy loves calligraphy pens and writing poems and short stories.)
Tabletop RPGS (3) (Mostly 4th Edition DND and the Call of Cthulu tabletop)
Movies (4) (Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Toy Story 3, Kick Ass)
Reading (5) (Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Dresden Files, etc)

And lastly, she -loves- clothes from http://www.freepeople.com/ , but being a college kid working a minimum wage job, most of the stuff on that site are out of the question. But if anyone knows of a place that sells clothes similar to it for a less retarded amount, I'd love to know.

So H/A, help me be a decent gift-giver this christmas.

Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
Toxin01 on

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Get her a Jenga set and teach her how to play Dread.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Settlers of Catan?

The Zombie Survival Boardgame?

Munchkin? http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/

Maybe a set of Oil paint, Canvas, and brush?

Sketchbook?

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Munchkin is a lot of fun, and it even has expansion packs if you really like it.

Also, I'd suggest www.modcloth.com or http://www.shopplasticland.com/... super cute clothes and accessories but not nearly as expensive as FP.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The D&D Monster Vault came out recently, perhaps that? A nice and/or handmade sketchbook can also be a really cool thing to have.

Ooh, you could also check out etsy, specifically this section if you're looking for something geeky.

Flay on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    By artsy, exactly how artsy. Does she paint, does she have favorite artists?

Cus art books or supplies are always great gifts for artsy people.

Im not an inker, but a moleskine sketchbook with a nice set of either dip pens or microns would be awesome.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    via Mrs. Vater5b:

Seconding ModCloth.com for clothes. There is also http://tulle4us.com/ and http://shopruche.com/.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buy her some acrylics and canvas board - board is cheaper than canvas, and acrylics have more flexibility than oils. And a couple of brushes.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A good book is always fun.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.crystalcaste.com

D&D dice in various materials(gemstone, metal, bone, etc). I ended up getting the leather bound player hand book and a set of bone dice for a relative one x-mas.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does she have a computer?

If so, a graphics tablet may be the way to go.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm gonna have to agree with the rest of the thread. Grab some paint, brushes and a couple of canvases.

It's the easy way out, however. But without knowing her personally there's not much more we can suggest.

AxleMoore on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Canvas and paint is a terrible idea. Artists are really picky about that stuff, and unless you really know what you are looking for then just don't.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reading? Maybe an e-reader.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    etsy is the site I use the most to get gifts for my girlfriend

its all handmade or vintage stuff with huge variety

there's usually something unique and interesting you can find that is specialized to her

Bugman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    She is artsy in the doodles on everything loves to paint kind of way, if it clarifies any. Although to be honest I don't know what kind of art supplies she actually wants/needs.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Find out what she uses. Does she use markers, pastels, pencils, etc and if so what kinds. Has she expressed interested in trying any new mediums?

Also, what is your budget?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Disclaimer: I work at a used bookstore, so my default gift advice is "USED BOOKS!" However, in this case I feel my advice is quite valid, so read on:

Pick up a nice, hardcover copy of her favourite book. I'd suggest something from a used bookstore so you can get something really classy - a quarter leather or an older printing - without breaking the budget. I'm trying to build a full leather softcover collection of all my favourite classics, personally - gorgeous to look at, but still functional if you want to throw it in a bag and read it on the bus.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    copic markers

mully on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mully wrote: »
    copic markers

I came in to say exactly this. I'm not sure if she likes drawing, or coloring with anything other than paint, but these markers are fuck awesome, and a lot of fun (Also, hella expensive depending on the set you buy).

When it comes to reading, does she like to have the physical book in hand, or would a nice e-reader be a good gift? I can't recommend the Nook enough. It's great, and the new ones have 3G.

As an artist as well, don't get her canvases or paints or whatever. I'm picky about that shit, as is pretty much every other artist. Also, don't get her one of those "artist sets" that come in a crappy little case things that have bad watercolors and brushes. I've gotten those (and still get them) from family, and they're awful.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1. Loves to paint
    2. Tabletop RPG's

I believe I have made my point.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As a stocking filler You could get her a wax seal, like the kind people used to seal envelopes back in the day, along with sealing wax. You can get gift sets with all the stuff required in, but it would be cooler to get her a more personal seal, with an image relating to her.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If she likes Sherlock Holmes you should grab the new BBC adaptation on DVD

It's pretty great.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mully wrote: »
    copic markers

I came in to say exactly this. I'm not sure if she likes drawing, or coloring with anything other than paint, but these markers are fuck awesome, and a lot of fun (Also, hella expensive depending on the set you buy).

When it comes to reading, does she like to have the physical book in hand, or would a nice e-reader be a good gift? I can't recommend the Nook enough. It's great, and the new ones have 3G.

As an artist as well, don't get her canvases or paints or whatever. I'm picky about that shit, as is pretty much every other artist. Also, don't get her one of those "artist sets" that come in a crappy little case things that have bad watercolors and brushes. I've gotten those (and still get them) from family, and they're awful.

Copic markers look kind of cool, actually. I'm a bit wary of buying art things since I don't know anything about them, but I think I'm going to grab a set of those.

I already discovered from a reliable source that she has bought me a kindle for christmas, so I don't know if buying her the a nook would be.. right? I'm sure she would like one though.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So far I have the following set aside:
    A 12 set of copic markers
    Books 3-8 of Dresden Files
    That book that was recommended earlier.

I just need one more, tiny thing to top this gift basket.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1. Loves to paint
    2. Tabletop RPG's

I believe I have made my point.

Yeah, would she be interested in painting figurines? I just recently got into it, and while very tedious, it's a lot of fun. You could get her one from Reaperminis.com that looks like one of her characters, and if she has acryllics laying around then awesome. You may have to also buy her the SUPER tiny brushes required, but they're not all that expensive.

Edit: Also, Nerd wrapping paper is a nice little detail to top everything off.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Copics can be a bit pricey so I know my boyfriend uses Prisma.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here, the Prismacolours are 2 dollars more than the Copics... our Copics at Opus are 7.20 per marker, the Prismas were 9.80.

Top it off with a really cool D20 or something. Dice are rad. Maybe something from Lexxy's store? She has a d20 necklace. http://www.alexandra-douglass.com/shop.html

mully on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Movies (4) (Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Toy Story 3, Kick Ass)

The Art of Toy Story 3 book seems like a good bet, if she doesn't already have it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Toy-Story-3/dp/0811874346

Any of the other "Art of" books on the Pixar movies are also worth checking out, unless it turns out that somehow Toy Story 3 is the only Pixar movie she likes. :P

Another thing along the lines of the painted figurines would be to get a Munny Doll, which are blank white figures that are designed to be painted on:

http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/DoItYourselfToys/

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If she likes Sherlock Holmes you should grab the new BBC adaptation on DVD

It's pretty great.

It really is. Both me, hardcore Sherlock Holmes fan, and the SO, not a hardcore sherlock fan, love it.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Another option for calligraphy type pens would be the Scheaffer calligraphy pens... the sets are neat, relatively inexpensive, and most office stores and bookstores have them. I got them as a gift one year and did all my thank you cards with them. The cool thing is that instead of being a dip-ink they're a cartridge-ink so they are portable and readily interchangeable. Thy have refills in at least 5 colors if I recall correctly so even a basic set and some backup inks would be cool.

http://www.sheaffer.com/writing/index.php?catID=3

I would also recommend a fun calligraphy book-- I got this one by Margaret Shepherd:
    http://www.amazon.com/Calligraphy-Alphabets-Made-Easy-Perigee/dp/0399512578/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290993039&sr=1-8
    as a gift that same year. Some of the projects inside the book are a little cheesy, but the practice is helpful and the lettering is inventive.

seconding/thirding the Copic markers, they're really great, very crisp lines and often reusable as they make a refill cartridge, and they don't smell bad like Prismas do.

Etsy is OK but be wary of "resellers" who sell factory made things while pretending to be legit. If it ships from China, don't buy it there thinkng you got a great handmade gift. Artfire.com and Zibbet.com are also great places to buy handmade, and their sites are a lot more vigilant about nuking reseller accounts. :-)

Good luck with your gift! Let us know how she likes it.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does she like tiny, adorable things? If so, take a look at Japanese Re-Ment miniatures.

LadyM on
  • Options
    runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    not sure if someone already posted this but I got my wife a kindle for Christmas and she loved it. the new wifi only kindle is pretty cheap now. You might want to get Her an amazon gift card too so she can buy some books right away.

runethomas on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Tabletop RPGS (3) (Mostly 4th Edition DND and the Call of Cthulu tabletop)

All Flesh Must Be Eaten is a Zombie table top RPG. You may look into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Flesh_Must_Be_Eaten

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They sell these really tiny, adorable mediums at most art stores. They're intended for art trading cards and are pretty cheap and they come in all varieties. Canvas board, watercolor paper, bristol, etc.

You could get her a couple of those, they're really a lot of fun to draw/paint/doodle on!

Also, free people is cuter than cute but unfortunately is so expensive it isn't even funny. Modcloth isn't cheap either. You could always try going to a similar but way cheaper store like forever 21 or H&M. They're pretty mainstream but still cute. You could try local places, especially if she's mentioned any she likes!

flowerhoney on