As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

1232425262729»

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Oh for people who get tired of all the fucking Drowners all the time: there's a drowner repelant trinket that scares them all off. Allows you to traverse the swamp superfast.

I found it's easier to just outrun them or kill them. The trinket may scare them away, but your still technically in combat, so you can't talk to people or enter buildings and caves. This isn't much of a problem in act 2 or 3, but it's a nightmare in act 5 where the swamp is packet to the rafters with drowners and drowned dead.

Dram on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, doesn't it feel strange to buy stuff that is months from being released? I mean, hell, at least give us a $20 discount or something.

Casually Hardcore on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We're not afraid of Dragon Age 2
    Eurogamer: You mention the competition. Is Dragon Age II The Witcher 2's biggest competitor?

Tomasz Gop: They are similar games in a way. It is competition, but we're not thinking that they're going to kill us, or wipe us out with their marketing.

We're thinking, if people like role-playing games they will buy all of them because you get two or three role-playing games a year – triple-A ones. OK, yes, they are competition, but if one competitor wiped out another one, it would mean a 30 per cent decrease in the role-playing game market. Who wants that? That's not good for anyone.

They are competition, but it's nothing we're afraid of.

Eurogamer: The Witcher 2's combat reminds me of Batman: Arkham Asylum's.

Tomasz Gop: We have been inspired. I'm not hiding this. We have.

Eurogamer: What's happening with the console version? I want an honest answer.

Tomasz Gop: This is too difficult a question because I can't tell you directly what's happening inside the studio, but I want to tell you we're doing everything we can to make sure one day The Witcher 2 will be released on the current generation of consoles.

Eurogamer: So, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3?

Tomasz Gop: Yes. I can even tell you more. We already have performed a lot of tests. We're doing a reality check every half a year or so. We take a level from the game and we try to put it inside our engine, because it's console-capable on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Occasionally, from time to time, we do reality checks, and it's doable.

Eurogamer: What are the chances of a console version being released at the same time as the PC version?

Tomasz Gop: It's too late. We would have announced it already. It would be stupid not to announce it by now.

Eurogamer: If it does happen, will it be Christmas next year?

Tomasz Gop: Can't say. Probably by Christmas next year you will know way more.

Also depending where you order you get different things:
    Customers pre-ordering either edition of the game will have the choice of different and highly valuable in game items (DLC):

* Finisher Pack: This pack contains additional finishing move animations which were especially motion captured and additional advanced fighting techniques. Available via pre-order at thehut.com and Gamestop (for Irish customers).
    * Mysterious Merchant: In each chapter you’ll find a shady tradesperson offering unique items which usually can’t be bought in-game. Available via pre-order at GAME and Game.co.uk.
    * Ultimate Alchemy Suit: THE ultimate suit for every player focusing on alchemy. It contains unique items, increases the loot output and extends the duration of potions. Available via pre-order at HMV and HMV.com.
    * Ultimate Magical Suit: If players focus on spells and magic this would be their DLC of choice. Contains a unique set of items, enhances the new sixth magical sign and boosts the effectiveness of all other signs. Available via pre-order at Play.com.
    * Ultimate Swordsman Suit: The art of sword fighting is led to new heights with this pack. Like the other suits it contains a set of unique items but also boosts the sword fighting statistics as well as increases the chance for triggering rare effects in combat. Available via pre-order at Amazon.co.uk.

Cade on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    We're not afraid of Dragon Age 2
    Eurogamer: You mention the competition. Is Dragon Age II The Witcher 2's biggest competitor?

Tomasz Gop: They are similar games in a way. It is competition, but we're not thinking that they're going to kill us, or wipe us out with their marketing.

We're thinking, if people like role-playing games they will buy all of them because you get two or three role-playing games a year – triple-A ones. OK, yes, they are competition, but if one competitor wiped out another one, it would mean a 30 per cent decrease in the role-playing game market. Who wants that? That's not good for anyone.

They are competition, but it's nothing we're afraid of.

Eurogamer: The Witcher 2's combat reminds me of Batman: Arkham Asylum's.

Tomasz Gop: We have been inspired. I'm not hiding this. We have.

Eurogamer: What's happening with the console version? I want an honest answer.

Tomasz Gop: This is too difficult a question because I can't tell you directly what's happening inside the studio, but I want to tell you we're doing everything we can to make sure one day The Witcher 2 will be released on the current generation of consoles.

Eurogamer: So, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3?

Tomasz Gop: Yes. I can even tell you more. We already have performed a lot of tests. We're doing a reality check every half a year or so. We take a level from the game and we try to put it inside our engine, because it's console-capable on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Occasionally, from time to time, we do reality checks, and it's doable.

Eurogamer: What are the chances of a console version being released at the same time as the PC version?

Tomasz Gop: It's too late. We would have announced it already. It would be stupid not to announce it by now.

Eurogamer: If it does happen, will it be Christmas next year?

Tomasz Gop: Can't say. Probably by Christmas next year you will know way more.

Also depending where you order you get different things:
    Customers pre-ordering either edition of the game will have the choice of different and highly valuable in game items (DLC):

* Finisher Pack: This pack contains additional finishing move animations which were especially motion captured and additional advanced fighting techniques. Available via pre-order at thehut.com and Gamestop (for Irish customers).
    * Mysterious Merchant: In each chapter you’ll find a shady tradesperson offering unique items which usually can’t be bought in-game. Available via pre-order at GAME and Game.co.uk.
    * Ultimate Alchemy Suit: THE ultimate suit for every player focusing on alchemy. It contains unique items, increases the loot output and extends the duration of potions. Available via pre-order at HMV and HMV.com.
    * Ultimate Magical Suit: If players focus on spells and magic this would be their DLC of choice. Contains a unique set of items, enhances the new sixth magical sign and boosts the effectiveness of all other signs. Available via pre-order at Play.com.
    * Ultimate Swordsman Suit: The art of sword fighting is led to new heights with this pack. Like the other suits it contains a set of unique items but also boosts the sword fighting statistics as well as increases the chance for triggering rare effects in combat. Available via pre-order at Amazon.co.uk.

I like how in the interview CD Projeckt openly admits that the 'exclusive content' is just a sop to retailers to make them happier about stocking PC games. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra stuff anwyay - assuming it's not game-wrecking and totally undesirable, you'll be able to happily avail yourself of it the day after release (the GoG version, being DRM-free, cannot have any checks for DLC ownership permissions).

Bioptic on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    silly retailers!

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    is it just gog?

I was under the impression that the game was going to be DRM free period.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    is it just gog?

That had been my understanding as well, but with GOG we know for sure because GOG is DRM-free by design.

Aldo on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    is it just gog?

Well the Steam version's going to have Steam DRM. Likewise with Gamersgate and so forth.

Don't know about the store version, but since they'll probably need to go through a publisher they may make that a requirement to publish.

Either way, I'm getting it on GOG as well so it's pretty much moot.

subedii on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Combat has been inspirationally reimagined by Batman: AA?

Oh fuck yes.

Drake on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how every game place repeatedly gets on CD Projekt's nuts about a console version, but they hardly ever do the inverse to anyone else when there's a lack of PC version for console games.

And Witcher 2 doesn't have anything to fear about DA2 because it's going to be flat-out better game. Yeah I said it. It's not going to sell nearly as much, but it knows it's won inside! :P

Zxerol on
    edited November 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I like how every game place repeatedly gets on CD Projekt's nuts about a console version, but they hardly ever do the inverse to anyone else when there's a lack of PC version for console games.

It's ridiculous. The entire preview gave me jack-all information about the game itself since it was focussing on how the game's got cancer now because it's not releasing console side yet.

Apart from that one snippet that the the combat being like B:AA. How so? Who knows, it was a passing comment that they didn't bother to elucidate on.

subedii on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bah, retailer packages? Well I think I might get it through amazon.co.uk anyways

otherwise I'd go for the alchemy DLC package

Alegis on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

It's ridiculous. The entire preview gave me jack-all information about the game itself since it was focussing on how the game's got cancer now because it's not releasing console side yet.

Apart from that one snippet that the the combat being like B:AA. How so? Who knows, it was a passing comment that they didn't bother to elucidate on.

They were doing us a favour - not spoiling anything about the game, as every aspect of it will be unquestionably outstanding, as well as highlighting the fact that the poor little consolers won't be getting it, boo hoo hoo.

Jimmy Marku on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like that the interview's title wrangled some kind of war cry out of a pretty laid back statement of "They'll probably get both, since they'll both be good."

Handled with a level of tact on par with Bill O'Reilly.

Monger on
    edited November 2010
    Whilst I'll admit some of the design changes to DA2 have been a little... worrying... I still fully intend to get both and I'll probably really like them both as well.

I mean for being fantasy they're still very different styles of game. Dragon Age tends towards the far more fantastical. Witcher tends to be darker since it's usually dealing with things on a baser, more human level. DA typically has much more starkly delineated "Good" and "Evil" choices and world, Witcher doesn't really opt for those. Geralt's not trying to save or condemn the world, he's largely just seeking to reach an outcome, his choices made more out of expediency. Often, so is everyone else.

You could compare them, but I'm not sure there'd be much point.

subedii on
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Verily! There is a new developer diary o'er yonder.
    Oh wait, Witcher, not Two Worlds.

More importantly we have specs people! Minimum are:
    CPU: Dual-core 2.2 GHz
    RAM: XP - 1 GB Vista/7 - 2GB
    GFX: Geforce 8800 512MB or Ati equivalent

Lord_Mordja on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    well at least i meet the minimum D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited December 2010
    oh dear, I think when I get home I may have to finally look into overclocking that Core2duo E6400 a bit :)

Alegis on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just bought the Witcher II (preorder via Steam) despite knowing nothing about it; the first was just so good and CDProjekt seems like a good company I would want to support even if their games were rubbish.

AnteCantelope on
    edited December 2010
    That's the right attitude! I'm still waiting with pre-ordering, I might win the wishlist thing D: And I might consider getting it retail instead (30 euros instead of 50 euros).

Alegis on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was pretty surprised when I put in my preorder at GoG and they were all "Great, you're preordered! Nope, no need to give us any money or anything, we're cool until next year." And then I checked my account and had a free copy of one of the Jagged Alliance games, apparently because I'd registered before they went out of beta.

GoG is swell.

Monger on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    I was pretty surprised when I put in my preorder at GoG and they were all "Great, you're preordered! Nope, no need to give us any money or anything, we're cool until next year." And then I checked my account and had a free copy of one of the Jagged Alliance games, apparently because I'd registered before they went out of beta.

GoG is swell.

Deadly Games is a nifty Jagged Alliance title. Random mission generation, random campaign generation and and editor for making your own scenarios. None of the big overworld map stuff, but it's great for scratching that shoot mans in tactical turns itch if you don't feel like getting involved with a full blown Jagged Alliance campaign.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to claiming a free old timey RPG when I pick up my GoG preorder of Witcher II. I hope I can scrape up a new video card before it comes out.

Drake on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    why is this pay at release for pre-ordering such a big deal all of a sudden?

i've been doing that shit since the dawn of time, and getting it a day before actual release, unless its a steamworks game, that just pisses me off.

Deaderinred on
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I FINALLY grabbed this game from the last steam sale, and man it's great. I will say that it's completely overwhelming though, with the amount of quests you have at once. I'm trying to tackle some of the first notice board quests, slaying drowners and such, which is good fun. I hope it keeps my attention, as I'm in dire need of a new epic RPG.

Burgu on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    I am done with this game for a bit I think, just isn't fun anymore. I ran around Vizima for an hour or two and accomplished nothing, everyone just told me to fuck off for being too nice or fuck off for being too much of an ass. Also I tried the swamps, got wtf butt raped and died so I can't do that until I level up but there seems to be nothing left to do.

Shani is a cunt and won't let me into the church either.

Fizban140 on
    edited December 2010
    So there's some new info out there about the game, but I only have a Dutch source here and I cant be assed to translate it for you lardy McNerdersons. CD Projekt Red is very quiet about the story because there's a twist near the beginning they do not want to spoil. Probably something to do with the other Witchers from the epilogue of the first game?

The main story is set up in three parts with Geralt going to different places to root down the assassins from the title. The preview I read talked about a dwarven city and a lot of hateful dwarves trying to beat you. It also talked about a sidequest involving a succubus and in figuring out where/how/what/who Geralt can do an autopsy on one of her victims. The autopsy was said to involve more than <click body> but had you turn the body around and scan for different clues. Not for the faint-hearted I suppose.

Aldo on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any word on system requirement?

Planning to upgrade my system and not exactly sure if I should put more of my money towards a graphic card or more towards SSD, processor, and RAM.

Casually Hardcore on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A pre-beta footage has been released recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_keEqZFEBUA

Prisca on
    edited December 2010

Planning to upgrade my system and not exactly sure if I should put more of my money towards a graphic card or more towards SSD, processor, and RAM.
    Steam has the following listed:
    o OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
    o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
    o Memory: 1 GB for Win XP / 2 GB for Win Vista
    o Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar ATI
    o DirectX®:
    o Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content
    o Sound:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

Aldo on
    edited December 2010
    Aldo wrote: »

Steam has the following listed:
    o OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
    o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
    o Memory: 1 GB for Win XP / 2 GB for Win Vista
    o Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar ATI
    o DirectX®:
    o Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content
    o Sound:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

So this translate to

Intel I7 3.33 GHz
    6GB of ram
    Nvidia GTX 580

for butterly smooth gameplay, amirite?

Casually Hardcore on
    edited January 2011
    Probably the best thing from the last newsletter : http://www.thewitcher.com/images/newsletter/didi_fw_large.jpg

Aldo on