As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Musicians Thread!!

• Bromine JesusBromine Jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not even the microphones - some vintage mics rock. It's the expense and portability of p.a. speakers. They keep getting lighter and less expensive, allowing even moderate income venues to have world class systems.

Bromine Jesus on
    I used to be a Bearstranaut. I used to be 'Err to the Urson Fortune.
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have an audition for a vocal spot for a really awesome sounding band on saturday.

I am very excited

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited November 2010
    don't fuck it up zombies. You don't get many chances.

word travels fast.

Bromine Jesus on
    edited November 2010
    to be fair, bass amps are rarely successfully amped - either run direct out or have a HUGE STACK

Bromine Jesus on
    edited November 2010
    don't fuck it up zombies. You don't get many chances.

word travels fast.

Especially in my local scene.

But not to worry. I am well qualified for this spot and they fast tracked me past having to make a damn recording for them, which is encouraging

http://www.myspace.com/ethicsnw

thats the link if anyone wants to give it a listen

edited November 2010
    not bad. eight years ago they'd have probably been a hit in the underground scene.

Bromine Jesus on
    edited November 2010
    not bad. eight years ago they'd have probably been a hit in the underground scene.

Yeah.

That kinda stuff is still pretty big up here portland way.

I just want to play music I care about again

edited November 2010
    word. You know who I love -

the residents.

I would blow all of them.

Bromine Jesus on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How would you ever know?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited November 2010
    that's the appeal

Bromine Jesus on
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the show I'm in right now is going okay. We had a few days off this week and are back for more performances. The leads need to, you know, hit the actual notes in the score and maybe try to hit some acting beats to keep the audience awake, but it is a hard show. Too many notes.

We are doing the show in English. This is important to mention because the show was originally in Italian. But we are doing it in English.

Tonight the lead tenor walks out onto the stage and sings his first couple lines in Italian. A quick peek over at the conductor rolling his eyes and I know it is going to be one of those nights. I feel bad because he has clearly learned this music in the original language, and when you do the same show in more than one language or as different roles each time it is a bitch and a half keeping things organized.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Making a remix right now between Everybody Dance Now and SexyBack

Saint on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    to be fair, bass amps are rarely successfully amped - either run direct out or have a HUGE STACK

Running direct out is very convenient, but the problem is you're exclusively at the mercy of the sound engineer, which can be good or bad depending on the guy. Also the tone you're dialing out from your speaker cab isn't exactly what would be coming out of the PA system, so there is an inconsistency of sound.

Of course both of these issues are relevant only to bassists since sound guys only care if they themselves are bass-o-philes, and the general audience shure as shit don't care about how the bass player sounds. I guess that's why you see the ampeg stack almost everywhere; it delivers a consistently honking tone to make it easily mic-able, and since its seen everywhere sound guys usually know how to work with it.

CptKemzik on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ran security for my friend's punk band last night! it was super fun. huuuge turn-out for one of our shows, like seventy people showed up! first time we've ever posted a profit!

Metzger Meister on
    edited November 2010
    ran security for my friend's punk band last night! it was super fun. huuuge turn-out for one of our shows, like seventy people showed up! first time we've ever posted a profit!

how many people are in your town? five, six thousand?

Seventy people warrant a head of security?

Bromine Jesus on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

well i was the only security guy. it's not like i was in charge of a squad of dudes.

also Cheyenne, being the capitol of the state of Wyoming and the largest city therein, has a population of approximately 53,000.

Metzger Meister on
    edited November 2010
    I got into that band!

Woo

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2010

well i was the only security guy. it's not like i was in charge of a squad of dudes.

also Cheyenne, being the capitol of the state of Wyoming and the largest city therein, has a population of approximately 53,000.

casper is bigger

Knob on
    edited November 2010
    but not nearly as rad.

edit: also hello knob how you be

Metzger Meister on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just got back from seeing The Chariot live.

That was hands down the best metal show I've ever seen.

Ever.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have any of your droogs tried overtone isolation techniques for voice? I watched the Dr. Glenfield masterclass at monete trumpets and my mind is blown.

HellaJeff on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I recently had the opportunity to try a Gretsch G6120, and unfortunately it was wonderful. I am now resentful towards my little Epiphone LP-100. Unfortunately, G6120's are ridiculously expensive, so I've been looking at their cheaper Korean cousins, the G5120 in the electromatic line. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they crap? Will I be disappointed? At 700$ they'd still be a large upgrade for me, how are they for the price?

Also, I've heard it's really best if you swap out the tuners for locking tuners, as the bigsby will wreck your tuning otherwise, and possibly upgrade the pickups to those in higher models. Having never done either before, what would that be like? Is it something you take it in to someone for, and how much would something like that usually cost?

Endaro on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    I recently had the opportunity to try a Gretsch G6120, and unfortunately it was wonderful. I am now resentful towards my little Epiphone LP-100. Unfortunately, G6120's are ridiculously expensive, so I've been looking at their cheaper Korean cousins, the G5120 in the electromatic line. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they crap? Will I be disappointed? At 700$ they'd still be a large upgrade for me, how are they for the price?

Also, I've heard it's really best if you swap out the tuners for locking tuners, as the bigsby will wreck your tuning otherwise, and possibly upgrade the pickups to those in higher models. Having never done either before, what would that be like? Is it something you take it in to someone for, and how much would something like that usually cost?

Upgrading pick-ups depends on how they are wired and your skill level with a soldering iron (maybe). If the pick-ups are just quick plugs, you remove the strings from the guitar, remove the old pick-ups, plug the new pick-ups in, reseat them, string it up and go. If they are not quick plugs, you will most likely need to solder. I learned to solder by replacing the pick-ups in one of my guitars. It's very doable if you are given a nice good working schematic (not like the one that I was given that ground out the signal so there was no sound produced). Steady hands helps, the right kind of solder, and a decent soldering iron.

Changing tuners is pretty easy. I've only replaced one busted one before, I just imagine "repeat 6 times".

However, if you are not confident in doing so, don't. Take it to someone. If you find someone like me, I'd do it for some beer, because I like doing things like that. Charge rates will vary though. I wouldn't pay over $200 to have it done. Might as well have them set it up to your preferred tuning and string gauge while you're at it as well.

Bolthorn on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been wanting a tele for a while now, so it's nice that somebody at my church just gave me their Fretlight 200 Artist series telecaster. It has Duncans in it and looks pretty much identical to this one. It sounds beautiful but needs to be cleaned and set up. You can tell the people who owned it before haven't played it for like 15 years. Shhhhh, fretlight. I'm here now. Nothing will hurt you.

joshofalltrades on
    edited November 2010
    josh that sounds amazing, my bro drools over old guitars and the sort.

Anyway, while I love my monster of a Korg M50, I've been looking into midi controllers/software for once I have a MacBook. What are some good quality Keyboard Controllers/MIDI Pads/MIDI softwares that won't cost me my soul?

Saint on
    edited November 2010
    I wish I had the time and money to set my guitars up how I would like. I know so many things to do and never get the chance to do them

HellaJeff on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got an old old old hollowbody that needs new pickups, I might make that a winter project and learn a thing or two I reckon.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
    edited November 2010
    My voice has now moved up enough that I can list myself as a baritone. It is kind of weird going through music books where everything is written so damn high.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    baribone

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
    edited November 2010
    I sang the D above the bass staff in my chest voice. Feels pretty good.

HellaJeff on
    edited November 2010
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I'm poking through a song that goes up to an A right now. It's ridiculous seeing that many ledger lines.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Fiz wrote: »
    HellaJeff wrote: »

I'm poking through a song that goes up to an A right now. It's ridiculous seeing that many ledger lines.

While I am in no way a voice coach or professional singer, I can share something that seems to work for me.

Challenge yourself to a song you can't sing yet. Work on it, try to hit those high notes. Usually keep it at most a whole step above your normal range. Do the whole "pull the string" trick, try to reach for it, and you will eventually "learn" your diaphragm up to that note. I started with a terrible singing voice a year and a half ago, then I joined the school choir, and started practicing for hours on end. Now, my chest voice goes from a double low d# to a high c, and my falsetto adds another octave. I'm still challenging myself, and this method defenitly helped me.

Saint on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tofu your theme owns

Tallest Man owns

Projeck on
    edited December 2010
    did we quit being musicians

going to a fancy for real life studio in denver over the weekend

look how big and fancy i am

Knob on
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been taking piano lessons, which is cool, but that's about it musically for me.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm playing professionally still but...

well....

I might be taking a Bass contract soon, which will be nice to switch things up. Oh and my next contract I'm going to the Mediterranean instead of the Baltic, where I was originally going.

And I might have a TV music director gig lined up for a while after that.

My life continues to be awesome, but it's being awesome in the same way... not too much news relating to the music part.

Khavall on
    edited December 2010
    Knob wrote: »
    did we quit being musicians

going to a fancy for real life studio in denver over the weekend

look how big and fancy i am

Nah I'm still doing stuff.

Lots of auditions lately. One was for a resident thing in Santa Fe, which is one of the bigger companies out there. They sent me a rejection letter before I got to my car.

I also got a rejection letter from a place I didn't audition for. Had to cancel about a week before it came up, but they still sent me the automated letter saying they enjoyed hearing me sing and hope to see me again next year. Hah.

Did some more in New York lately. It's cold as fuck there, but I enjoyed being there and getting to joke around with my peers. I had almost forgotten what it is like to be around singers my own age. We laughed at all the sopranos going in and doing Chacun le Sait

Had to drop out of a role for one show because of conflicting schedules. They had asked me if I would be willing to do it if I could, but when I got them a copy of my Turandot stuff they realized that they are doing performances on the same dates. My part would have paid less than Turandot so I picked that one. Another lady in Turandot dropped out of it so she could do the other show, as it is a bigger role and pays enough. It happens.

Barber of Seville is done and I'm glad. The show just isn't as pretty when you sing it in English. And when you realize what they're saying the story seems dumb.

One of the guys doing a lead with San Diego Opera next year told me that I have a really pretty voice. That made, like, my year.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been writing like mad lately, and I'm really happy with it. It's been a long time since I've had such a successful spree of musical inspiration.

I'm sensing a bit of a Do Make Say Think vibe from some of it, which is awesome.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • PlatypusPlatypus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am sick of joining bands now.

First real band broke up with us all silently agreeing to never speak to each other again.

Second disbanded after going nowhere and me just saying fuck it after the lead guitarist left.

Third I was kicked out over some weird bullshit that I still can not understand after only one show.

I want to do my own thing which does not usually fit with the bands in my area, so I think I'll start my own little noise rock project. Any body have any advice on recording?

Platypus on
    edited December 2010
    press record

play music

???

fame

Knob on