Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I am dead...and don't call me Shirley (Leslie Nielsen has passed)

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll certainly miss him. He's done some ridiculously funny stuff, and they don't make comedies like that anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRo5XCKddQ&feature=related

(Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated April 14th. Dark Souls Diaries - Day 18
    stream
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    These parts in Naked Gun made me laugh so much when I was younger, just for Leslie reacting the way he did when he gets a towel thrown at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4bu4DF7ewo

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn it. First the Hawks lose again and now this? Fuck.

RIP Leslie. You helped shape my regard for comedy during my formative years. I owe a lot to you.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • JokermanJokerman Mr Jellybean Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I always hoped OJ would be the first of the Naked gun cast to die....

so sad.

DNiIgRK.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You guys, I really wish we weren't able to make these jokes. :(
    Considering his line I'm sure he'd be right along with us as we're making these cracks.
    Spoiler:

Gamertag, Crackdown metatag, and other interesting stuff below!
    Join the Wang Defense Force and help stop the insect menace!
    Help a poor bastard out! Read (or at least visit) my Bright Hub articles!
    Spoiler:
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Braggadocio Open up the trunk, release the mech, Increase the power to the shield to protect, I never hit eject.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well damn. I even like the commercials he did.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    I toss back drinks with a stiff upper lip and you’re just here to hear my tongue frolic.
    Join Now.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Well damn. I even like the commercials he did.

The man did amazing work with what he was given. He was in some terrible films but he was never the reason the film was awful.

• AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man. Leslie Nielson... :(

I feel sad that I never knew there was a Police Squad TV show. Of course, it came out the year I was born, so it's not surprising... but yeah.

fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

I feel sad that I never knew there was a Police Squad TV show. Of course, it came out the year I was born, so it's not surprising... but yeah.

It was canceled well before it's time.

• KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And here's a different take. Leslie in B-movie horror film Creepshow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXQX6IlxW0

“This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, for the people who never knew of, let alone WATCHED, Police Squad, this must be rectified immediately. I can't think of a better time to do it than now, can you?

EmperorSeth.png
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man oh man. It's a sad day.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goddamn it

Surely he will rest in peace.

:(

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    :(

I have never seen a movie with Leslie Nielsen in it that I didn't like. He was just that awesome.

Mr_Sunshine1079.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Son of a bitch... :(

Games completed recently: Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, On the Rain Precipice of Darkness 1-4.
  • JokermanJokerman Mr Jellybean Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Twitter wrote:
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit gay necrophilia.

DNiIgRK.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shirley, this is a sad day.

Wydrion wrote: »
    ...Or you can sit around in the thread calling _J_ a cocksucker, you know, whatever's more constructive.
    3DS: 3668-7498-6513
    PaD Herder
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Very sad news. Airplane and many of his other comedic films were played regularly on tv when I was growing up

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man.

This is perhaps the worse piece of news possible to start off the week with.

R.I.P Leslie Nielsen. You shall be greatly missed.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Man this sucks, my former roommate and me will get way to drunk and watch his movies atleast once every year.

I may have to go watch Leslie slip in batshit until I perk up.

LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Oddly my favorite role of his was his turn in Due South - not the later seasons, but in the first. Showed his dramatic chops a bit.

God, yes. When he turns up at the consulate in all his Mountie glory, only to have the following exchange:

Fraser: You ran away, but you brought your dress uniform with you?
    Buck Frobisher: No, I rented it. If we don't catch him by Tuesday, I have to pay extra.

His delivery was perfect.

This has bummed me out - even worse is the SE++ thread where they've been brainstorming all the other old comedians around for the Rule of Three :(

Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Oddly my favorite role of his was his turn in Due South - not the later seasons, but in the first. Showed his dramatic chops a bit.

God, yes. When he turns up at the consulate in all his Mountie glory, only to have the following exchange:

Fraser: You ran away, but you brought your dress uniform with you?
    Buck Frobisher: No, I rented it. If we don't catch him by Tuesday, I have to pay extra.

His delivery was perfect.

Yeah, I loved his character in Due South. This might just be because of him being in my favourite episode (All The Queen's Horses - which the below is from).
    Sgt. Buck Frobisher: [on a train taken over by terrorists] I've found the brake.
    Fraser Sr.: What makes you think it's the brake?
    Sgt. Buck Frobisher: It's written right on it, "brake".
    Fraser Sr.: Huh, could be a ruse.
    Sgt. Buck Frobisher: To what end?
    Fraser Sr.: Something criminal.
    Sgt. Buck Frobisher: Are you insinuating that an entire design crew has deliberately mislabeled the key elements of a train?
    Fraser Sr.: It's possible.
    Sgt. Buck Frobisher: I'm talking to a lunatic.

minisig.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The tiny handful of episodes makes it all the more special, there is not a single bad second in Police Squad, not one frame is anything less than hilarious.

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, for the people who never knew of, let alone WATCHED, Police Squad, this must be rectified immediately. I can't think of a better time to do it than now, can you?

Yeah. Honestly, I love the Naked Gun movies, but this is where they came from, and even though it's only 6 episodes, they are arguably even funnier. You can probably get the DVD for a pittance these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHwaFzzbkQ

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, today is shaping up to be a really weird day.

I'm genuinely sad that Leslie Nielsen passed away.

So I go watch his stuff in his memory and laugh myself silly.

And then I'm sad again.

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Noooo, my alarm clock wasn't lying to me :(

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can I say how pathetic it is that Leslie Nielson is dead and Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer are still allowed to make "spoof" movies? Thank the Lord Nielson stayed away from those two talentless fuckwits.

• DeebaserDeebaser At the corporate garage sale This is cheap and plentifulRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is sad news. I just watched Naked Gun 2 on my Airplane! flight on Friday.

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. :(

• ArchArch Viruses are totally dependent on knowledge of every eternity. Renounce faith. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is really depressing especially since it was the first news I got of the day.

sig_zpsf0994cbd.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's the news my line manager decided to greet me with this morning.

"Did you hear Leslie Nielsen died? Also here is the account you're working on this morning."

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

"Did you hear Leslie Nielsen died? Also here is the account you're working on this morning."

Did you reply "Surely you can't be serious."?

Also, Empire Strikes Back Director Irvin Kershner became death #2. Who is going to be #3?

camo_sig2.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

Also, Empire Strikes Back Director Irvin Kershner became death #2. Who is going to be #3?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Death really seems set on punching my childhood in the face as many times as possible within a 24-hour span.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID X360: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The tiny handful of episodes makes it all the more special, there is not a single bad second in Police Squad, not one frame is anything less than hilarious.

One of the directors' commentary tracks on the Naked Gun movies mentions that it was the sheer volume of sight gags in PS! that contributed to its cancellation. Apparently a lot of people didn't get most of the jokes because they weren't actually watching the show; like most TV, it was just on in the background.

edited November 2010

In a moment of Esprit d'Escalier, I thought of that about five minutes after being told.

Also, has anybody else had the Naked Gun theme in their head all day?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

In a moment of Esprit d'Escalier, I thought of that about five minutes after being told.

Also, has anybody else had the Naked Gun theme in their head all day?

I do now.

scale3nk0.png
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rest In Peace, Mr. Nielson.

Say Hi to George and Bill when you see them.

sigone.png
  • VariableVariable Weed and Masturbation Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »

One of the directors' commentary tracks on the Naked Gun movies mentions that it was the sheer volume of sight gags in PS! that contributed to its cancellation. Apparently a lot of people didn't get most of the jokes because they weren't actually watching the show; like most TV, it was just on in the background.

in roger ebert's piece linked a few pages back nielson says something like 'it wasn't meant for TV because it had humor you had to pay attention to'

Steam Profile - Variable114 | WiiU - Variable | 3DS - 3866-8105-7478
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love Airplane, but the first film of his I saw was the Naked Gun. I don't think I've ever spent the entire hour and a half of a film laughing my ass off before or since. The opening scene where he beats up the dictators and despots of the world is a particular favourite.