As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm disappointed there are no words for the Wii version of Forsaken Sands. It really tried to move the franchise forward in a new direction, melding sands of time with 08.
    Though I would've have liked the ability to rewind still...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the Wii version of Forgotten Sands is a entirely different game with a different storyline, correct? Strange that they didn't give it a different title.

Which is superior, the Wii game or the PS3/360 one?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The epilogue is nice but it's a 1-2 hour romp at most. I think it's a bit overpriced. I loved it tho and I look forward to PoP2k8's sequel. Someday. I hope.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the Wii version of Forgotten Sands is a entirely different game with a different storyline, correct? Strange that they didn't give it a different title.

Ubi did the exact same thing with Splinter Cell: Double Agent, too. There's two versions, each completely different games.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I enjoyed the PC/PS3/360 version more for its fast pace, and for the combat and the teleport ability. The Wii version has a more deliberate pace and a more complex story, and the combat is much less responsive in my opinion.

The Wii version is still a neat game, but they're dramatically different.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

Ubi did the exact same thing with Splinter Cell: Double Agent, too. There's two versions, each completely different games.
    Yeah, but the word 'double' is right in the name. They call that brand synergy right there.

Monger on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I loved piecing together all the powers in Forgotten Sands.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »

Yeah, but the word 'double' is right in the name. They call that brand synergy right there.

At least double agent was about the same story.
    The only think linking the forgotten sands was... sand.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was literally like, "Oh snap. We forgot to tell you. So the Prince had a brother and an adventure someplace."

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I kind of thought it was going to join Sands of Time and Warrior Within but it was basically a parallel universe

LaCabra on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Every time I see "New Prince of Persia Announced..." on the front page I get excited and think that they might have announced a sequel to PoP 2008, and then I realize what has happened and get sad.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Every time I see "New Prince of Persia Announced..." on the front page I get depressed and think that they might have announced a sequel to PoP 2008, and then I realize what has happened and my faith in humanity is not entirely unwarranted.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So cold

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm only half-kidding

I'd like to see a resolution to that story, but I would have liked to see it in that game instead of the shit-tacular ending they handed us

Also I'd like the platforming to not be retarded this time

But I do really love that art style and that Prince and Elika

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, plenty of room for improvement, but I loved the hell out of it. Especially after the main series decided to dispense with the charm.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I agree. I really think if they brought the platforming a bit more in line with the sands trilogy while keeping the elika mechanic any sequels to PoP08 would be fantastic. I really liked the fighting too. I was kind of surprised when my friend was watching me play and said "so it's just the same thing over and over for the fighting?" I guess you could say that for all fighting games, but i liked the dramatic sequences you could pull off.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just picked up POP 2008 again after playing through the first quarter of it a year ago.

Game is unique, you have to give it that. I really enjoy the free flow nature of the platforming. A review I read compared it to the skating combos in Tony Hawk and I think that is really apt description.

Along those lines, what the game really needed was more positive reinforcement for not fucking up and breaking your platforming combo. I know points are passe in modern game design, but something to indicate how well the player is doing could really elevate that style of gameplay to the next level.

I honestly know how you guys liked the fighting though. It makes the combat in Sands Of Time look like Arkham Asylum in comparison.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They could have had it just get faster if you were really good, until you're Sonic'ing around the landscape, mashing your controller like Guitar Hero.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, PoP2k8's gameplay sure is pretty but it doesn't reward you that much. That probably is its main flaw. I know they wanted it to be friendly for casuals and all, but you really don't have to dumb it down that much. Hell, my wife was able to beat GoW 1 and 2 and she has issues with NSMB Wii. Some polish would have helped PoP2k8 go from good to great game.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    They could have had it just get faster if you were really good, until you're Sonic'ing around the landscape, mashing your controller like Guitar Hero.

This would be awesome

What really bummed me about all the parkour elements of '08 was that it felt so slow and it didn't feel like it had any weight or momentum to it. He might as well have been floating on air.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm walkin on sunshiiiiiine, whooah whoooooah

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This would be awesome

What really bummed me about all the parkour elements of '08 was that it felt so slow and it didn't feel like it had any weight or momentum to it. He might as well have been floating on air.

I agree with this line of thinking. I enjoyed PoP '08 but it was glacial at times.

brynstar on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    brynstar wrote: »

This would be awesome

I agree with this line of thinking. I enjoyed PoP '08 but it was glacial at times.

That's actually an excellent mechanic for scaling difficulty, and actually does have a direct parallel to Guitar Hero - if a player is finding things too easy, then have them do the same thing but faster. The variant described works well because it's entirely under player control - as soon as you mess things up, things slow down and you pay more attention to your environment. Advanced players don't feel hindered and less-skilled players don't feel punished.

Whilst I can't say I was a huge fan of '08's platforming elements (or recycled fighting), having recently had the chance to play through the PC version of Forgotten Sands I actually think it shares some of the same flaws - everything is very, very telegraphed. You look at a sequence of ledges and can describe how to traverse them without thinking - whenever the game throws something new at you (like swinging from a frozen water jet and then unfreezing as you pass through a waterfall) it then proceeds to just add it into the standard mix you face the other 90% of the time. This may only be a problem for people who've been playing essentially the same game since Sands of Time and are highly attuned to the series's patterns, but I'd argue that this is my point: some other, more organic element needs to be added in to stop everything seeming so rote. The '08 formula may have been a failed offshoot, but that doesn't mean a new directions should be abandoned entirely.

I personally felt that the Wii game felt a lot more fresh, but suffered from less polish - several frustrating difficulty spikes and pacing that mean you frequently forgot what you were meant to be doing. I think that the 'use-anywhere' powers were a brilliant idea though - they formed an excellent counter to my 'platforming by rote' statement above by encouraging you to think about your surroundings and where to place things. And I genuinely think it had more charm as well - I was so let down by the PC version's vague hints of characterisation and total lack of development or additional plot threads.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm pissed that Ubisoft never patched the PSN version of Prince Of Persia Classic to be decent.

What a shoddy ass port.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I sat down and started playing The Forgotten Sands yesterday. I finished it that same night.

Everything about this game seemed rushed. Combat was really quite boring and had no flash to it. The magic you can upgrade is pretty tame as well and the only ones I actually found somewhat useful was Whirlwind and Stoneskin. The bosses were so dull I could cry.

The only thing I felt this game did right was the water freezing and memory powers you get. The hallways with the traps seemed really... I don't know what word to use... juvenile? I almost felt insulted at how dumb some of those setups were. There were only 1 or 2 actual tricky parts in the entire game.

I only paid $10 for this off Amazon and I still feel like I've been slighted. The only other compliment I can really give this game is that it's an easy way to boost your gamerscore I guess. I'm still of the opinion that PoP '08 was the better game and I wish they ran with the continuation of that storyline.

kriegs on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Surely you can't have disliked it too much if you finished it in an evening! Took me a good couple of weeks.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's really not that long, though. I think I finished it in two days. There's something about the constant forward motion of Prince of Persia-games, that make me go through them faster than I typically would other games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Surely you can't have disliked it too much if you finished it in an evening! Took me a good couple of weeks.

It's actually one of my pet peeves. As long as it's not an abysmal experience that makes me want to rip my hair out, I have to finish the game. The only thing that will make me actually quit a game (temporarily) is if I'm distracted by something else shiny and new.

kriegs on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My copy of the Trilogy just arrived. Thanks LewieP for posting that deal a page or two back, that's where I got it (as well as the Sly Collection). Today's GT5 day though, so it'll have to sit on the backburner for a few days.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No worries.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone explain to me the combat in Prince Of Persia Classic? Because there is a lot of it and I keep dying, over and over again.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, THIS is the combat system I remember, which forced me to quit Sands of Time and never go back. It's the most horrendous shit I've played in so, so long. The asshole enemies teleport around me, so I'm surrounded. I press X and a direction away from them to dodge but nope, the Prince instead tries to jump over them, they counter and I'm suddenly down on the ground ready for every asshole around me to beat the crap out of me. And they continue respawning for so god damn long.

On the bright side, the platforming is still really great.

Also, it's a pretty mediocre port. I've noticed a few bugs (once my character model completely disappeared) and while the framerate's usually pretty decent, there are points where it'll drop down to single digits for a second, before recovering.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    you know you can block and counterattack, right

LaCabra on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just use wall lunge -> dagger. Wall lunge knocks down every enemy in the game and can't be blocked. There is no reason to use any other attack.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not the case, the BIG GUYS with the BIG SWORDS can block that. Also, it's slow and cumbersome and needs a wall there. No reason to use it when you can be a fuckin' ninja.

Really you rarely even need to block, just focus on the whole group instead of one enemy at a time and you can bounce back and forth so fast nobody gets a chance to hit you

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's been a few years since I last played Sands of Time, but if I'm remembering correctly each enemy has a move that will knock them over every single time.Blue guys: wall lunge. Red guys: flip over them. Once they're knocked over then just fill your dagger to finish them off. A counter with the dagger also works well if I remember correctly.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I may be simple, but I'm really enjoying Forgotten Sands (PS3 version). It is nice to have a current gen version of the Sands Of Time gameplay.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The 'big guys with big swords' have an attack that can get passed the block, so it's not as useful as you think when there are a few of them. And it's not that useful when I'm surrounded, since I can't get many attacks in before someone else tries to hit me.

I haven't gotten completely stuck by a fight yet, they're just bloody frustrating. Right now I think I'm ~60% through the game, I'll try finish it tonight so we'll see what happens.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Does the sound in Sands of Time HD seem really janky to anyone else? The mix levels are wildly inconsistent, and the reverb effects seem way overdone in many spots.

It seems like this has even more sound issues than the original, which I just played not too long ago.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The 'big guys with big swords' have an attack that can get passed the block, so it's not as useful as you think when there are a few of them. And it's not that useful when I'm surrounded, since I can't get many attacks in before someone else tries to hit me.

I haven't gotten completely stuck by a fight yet, they're just bloody frustrating. Right now I think I'm ~60% through the game, I'll try finish it tonight so we'll see what happens.

You can jump those attacks.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png