As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do I get for a Joss Whedon fan?

ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend is a big Joss Whedon fan, and I've only recently gotten into Buffy. I'm out of my element here. She is a huge Buffy fan so I'm going to round out her reading of Buffy Season 8 (comic books) with the last two volumes but... what else can I do? Unless there is bitchin' commentary, there would be no reason to get her any DVD sets because we have Netflix and so much of his stuff is available for streaming.

So, any ideas?

Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
Improvolone on

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Firefly has a comic. I got my girlfriend a UC Sunnydale t-shirt. They sell replicas of Anya's necklace for pretty cheap if she doesn't mind cheap joke jewelry. There are a lot of action figures out if she doesn't hate that kind of thing. Soundtrack to "Once More With Feeling."

I'll ask my girlfriend and edit as she replies.
    Buffy "kits" that come with a stake, holy water, and necklace replicas.
    http://www.shop.serenityprint.com/Kaylee-Tee-Kaylee-Tee.htm (This link has shirts that were really popular at SDCC this year)
    http://www.tfaw.com/Themes/Joss-Whedon (General stuff, a lot of comics. Maybe some of Joss's Xmen stuff? Buffy lunchbox? Captain hammer shirt?)
    http://www.amazon.com/Buffy-Meets-Academy-Episodes-Scripts/dp/0786443553/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt (Book with essays about Buffy. My girlfriend said it was alright. There is also a book about firefly, apparently)

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A "Joss Whedon is My Master Now" T-shirt. I've had mine for several years now and it has held up well, plus I always get questions about it. Originally, I got it from the PvP store, but I'm not sure Scott still sells it, though I'm sure you can find it on E-bay or whatnot.

Killgrimage on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if this is too nerdy but you can buy collections of the shooting scripts from Buffy seasons 1-3(?). I've got all the books from season 2. They seem to be out of print so I had to snag them from various vendors on Amazon.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Something from the Blue Sun Corporation might be cool.

MichaelLC on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, I'm going to go down a dark and nerdy path, so bear with me on this one-

Is she a Whedon fan, or a Buffy fan? Cause there's some people that love Buffy, but haven't really seen anything else by the guy. Also, how much do you want to spend on this gift?

If you're willing to go pricey, there's a few good sideshow collectible statues that you can go for. I liked the animated marquettes myself.

If she's seen Angel, and again, you want to go down the pricey route, this is what I would personally get-
    http://www.toywiz.com/andise12scre.html

If she is a fan of Whedon, the DVD's have some great commentary. In fact, right now Amazon has a sale on the Firefly DVD's, with the Blurays being insanely cheap. The Dr. Horrible one has a musical commentary that I don't think is available online, so there's that.

There's also this DVD, which might be a nice little thing if she's interest in the behind the scenes and writing- http://www.thewriteenvironment.com/shoppingcart/products/The-Write-Environment%3A-Featuring-an-interview-with-Joss-Whedon.html

I know you mention the Season 8 comics, so in that vein, I would recommend this one- http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Slayers-Buffy-Vampire-Slayer/dp/1569716056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291172364&sr=8-1

The Firefly comics are iffy. Most aren't as good as the Season 8 Buffy ones, and the latest one that reveals Shepherd Book's past is actually pretty dissapointing.

There's a bunch of script books, behind the scene books, and essay books from all his shows, but the mileage on that will vary.

noir_blood on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr. Horrible DVD/comic?

John Matrix on
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Dr. Horrible if she doesn't already have that - the DVD commentary musical is well worth the price of admission.

My girlfriend just got me http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Horrible-Animated-Maquette/dp/B0032CUN14 for my birthday, and that made me happy.

soxbox on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, no mention of Dollhouse?

It was a shame how it ended (not as bad as Firefly, but close), but damn if it wasn't an excellent show while it lasted.

EDIT: Mentioned largely because I've seen some killer deals on it on Amazon and elsewhere lately.

mcdermott on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Depending on exactly how big of a geek she is, Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is collected in four books. It's the start of the comic, so far less worries about continuity.

admanb on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    She is a Whedon fan, not just a Buffy fan.

Improvolone on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dollhouse would be an option if someone can attest to the commentary being good. If not, might as well just watch it on Netflix.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Wedge!Wedge! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    Yeah, Dr. Horrible if she doesn't already have that - the DVD commentary musical is well worth the price of admission.

My girlfriend just got me http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Horrible-Animated-Maquette/dp/B0032CUN14 for my birthday, and that made me happy.

Ok, that is fantastic.

Wedge! on
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If they're still available, suss out who her favourite buffy/angel character is, and buy her a Character Collection dvd that contains specific character centric episodes. I once got given one for Wesley and it's awesome. Since its a single disc with about 4 episodes, I doubt it'll be expensive and I think it would work well to complement anything else you're getting her.

Edit:
    Something like this:
    http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/ProductS1TV.asp?PND=110966&CS=1&NoCache=0.9738886

Ask around some DVD stores, I see them floating around occasionally.

Edit edit: I missed the thing in the OP about no dvd sets because I'm tired, but hey it might be a thoughtful gift she could pop in whenever she feels like watching a character centric episode.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Definitely the Dr Horrible dvd/blu if she doesn't have it yet.
    Like others have said, the commentary on it might be better than the show itself.

some non-whedon stuff:
    I've never met a Whedon fan who didn't love Veronica Mars. Joss himself even has a cameo in the 2nd season.
    It's not as universally loved, but Wonderfalls is very good. it was made by a former Buffy writer/producer and features Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) as a recurring character.

SaraLuna on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Other "family of Whedon" shows include Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.

admanb on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That Maquette is by Quantum Mechanix; they also put out some very nice blueprints.

Tamin on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never met a Whedon fan who didn't love Veronica Mars.
    Hi.
    It's not as universally loved, but Wonderfalls is very good. it was made by a former Buffy writer/producer and features Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) as a recurring character.
    Agreed on Wonderfalls. Pushing Daisies would be another good suggestion for something not Whedon, that a Whedon fan would like.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What about a Jayne Cobb hat?

For added geekiness, pack it in a wooden box with straw.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    That Maquette is by Quantum Mechanix; they also put out some very nice blueprints.

Yeah, Quantum Mechanix has a bunch of nice-looking Firefly swag. (I've been waiting to get a little extra cash to get the travel posters for all the different planets.)

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What about a Jayne Cobb hat?

For added geekiness, pack it in a wooden box with straw.

This is what I was going to suggest. Last time I checked, there were a shitton of people selling them for $20-25 on Etsy, some of them even shipped in a wooden box/straw.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You could check out Fray. It's a comic miniseries set in the distant future of the Buffyverse. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Bluefoot on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr. Horrible DVD/comic?

this, the DVD is fantastic. and the musical commentary is great

so is the real commentary too

Rent on
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unless there is bitchin' commentary, there would be no reason to get her any DVD sets because we have Netflix and so much of his stuff is available for streaming.

There is. Almost universally bitchin' commentary.

RadicalTurnip on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You guys are the best. I'm set for at least a birthday too. Thanks!

Improvolone on