As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie Brigade, PAX East 2011: OVER 9000! ($9600 - and counting - for Child's Play!)

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh wonderful! I love these ideas. Now I won't be able to bake all of these myself, so I may need help with making them. Of course it will help with my cosplay, but these could be really good for everyone else.

As for alcohol flavorings, I should also mention that I got a bartending certification a while back, so I can help with that sort of thing. I made Guinness chocolate cupcakes with Bailey's cream cheese frosting for St. Patty's this year. The Guinness gave it a breadlike texture and a really good flavor and I think all the alcohol baked out. The frosting was really strong on Bailey's flavor and alcohol on St. Patty's day, but a few days later, the alcohol seemed to evaporate. Whether or not that is true depends on food science, so we'll have to google it up.

feitocomfruta on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We really can't do alcohol flavored baked goods, and the more I think about it we can't even really do completely artificial or "baked out" alcohol flavored treats... I'll go into it more on the Google group. It's a great idea, and I'm sorry that we have to avoid it, but we really must.

Let's head to the Google Group for continued discussion of this matter: it involves issues that probably shouldn't be discussed here. Basically we have to keep this operation as flawless and unimpeachable as possible in order to continue operating. Someday this may change, but for now we have certain pressures that put us in a position where we must be very careful about how we operate. Again, please go to the Google Group for more information, I've just made a post regarding it. We're in a sensitive position in the Brigade and we must be very careful.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • PurpleTerrapinPurpleTerrapin Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    I'm planning on star-shaped simply iced (just an outline?) yellow Mario stars and the classic chocolate chip. Sounds like fun!

PurpleTerrapin on
    edited November 2010
    Ooh, that's awesome! I like the idea! Be sure to join the Google Group! =)

VThornheart on
  • VodkaLoveVodkaLove Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    My boyfriend and I bought a cookie last year! I decided that I will help this time around and bake my delish S'Mores cookies. I will sign up on the google group soon. :)

VodkaLove on
    edited November 2010
    Yay! Good to have you on the force! S'mores cookies sound delicious, and they'll definitely be seasonally relevant for PAX East! =)

VThornheart on
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just wanted to let you guys know, the Cookie Brigade Holiday Platter went up for auction yesterday evening during Desert Bus. It was pretty heart-warming, with Kathleen reading my story before hand. Whether it was pity from that or the promise of awesome cookies, the bidding was driven up to $1000! A trio of gentlemen in England, bidding together, ended up winning, and will be a delicious collection of cookies!

Looking forward to PAX East!

Facelesscog on
    edited November 2010
    That is fantastic!!! Yay! Thank you Facelesscog for putting that together and making it happen!

And thank you, whoever you were from out there in England!

VThornheart on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Did anybody record that bit on desert bus? I was watching, but only half paying attention. I noticed the cookies and the shout-out to the brigade, but completely missed the story and bidding somehow.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2010
    I totally missed it as well, I'd love to see it too if anyone has it =)

VThornheart on
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know it's already been said, but as someone who eats gluten free, I wholeheartedly would love to see gluten free cookies :D

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
    edited November 2010
    aerynkelly: In addition to her vegan cookies, my wife was also very happy with her gluten free cookies, so I'm sure they'll be making an appearance at PAX East again.

Moe: The shout-out to the Brigade took place on Friday night, while the auction took place on Saturday, which may be why you missed it. Fortunately, I asked Kathleen to record the auction when it took place! So, as soon as Desert Bus is over and they have a chance to decompress, I'll be getting a copy of the video and sharing it with everyone.

Facelesscog on
    edited November 2010
    It may seem a little out there, but I just thought you all should know that Desert Bus for Hope, who couldn't stop raving about the Cookies, will likely be over TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. The Brigade had a small part in helping them reach a huge milestone.

I'm already excited to help raise more money for Child's Play at PAX East.

feitocomfruta on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the total this year is amazing! Who'd have thought that something so large would result from a satirical video game? It's pretty impressive! I wonder what Penn and Teller think of it, or if they know about it?

VThornheart on
    edited November 2010
    They do, and in fact the support the marathon a lot, by buying them food in past years, calling in, providing an auction item this year (The "Ultimate Desert Bus Experience" autographed by them, consisting of an envelope of Nevada Desert Sand, A bus ticket from Tucson to Las Vegas, and a pine air freshener), and hinting at a possible appearance next year to actually PLAY their game.

Anyway, bringing it back to the Brigade, I think that we have to remember, it's always for the children, but the noms are worth every penny.

feitocomfruta on
    edited November 2010
    Oh, that's cool! =)

And indeed, what you say is true! ;)

VThornheart on
  • firemage1026firemage1026 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cant wait to get some cookies :D

firemage1026 on
    I am going to kill you... I mean hug you!
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    3afvbd.jpg

The first official round of PAX East candy has been made. These are orange flavored and as a bit of an experiment. I tried out adding Sour Salt (Citric Acid) to the sugar mix before pour it into the molds. The results I must say are phenomenal.

There are also ╥ (PI) symbol candies as well as i tested out a new mold I picked up.

I'll hopefully be experimenting with the sugar free recipe in January, though I need to find a guinea pig to test them as I'm not really a fan of fake sugar so I wouldn't know if they're tasty or not.

ransim on
    edited December 2010
    Ooh! It looks great ransim! Well done!! =)

VThornheart on
  • drspacemonkey2drspacemonkey2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    3afvbd.jpg

The first official round of PAX East candy has been made. These are orange flavored and as a bit of an experiment. I tried out adding Sour Salt (Citric Acid) to the sugar mix before pour it into the molds. The results I must say are phenomenal.

There are also ╥ (PI) symbol candies as well as i tested out a new mold I picked up.

I'll hopefully be experimenting with the sugar free recipe in January, though I need to find a guinea pig to test them as I'm not really a fan of fake sugar so I wouldn't know if they're tasty or not.

Are those gummies or hard candies?

drspacemonkey2 on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3afvbd.jpg

Hard candy, and unlike for PAX Prime they are actual hard candy and not accidentally chewy.

Edit: I was thinking about experimenting with gummy versions that I can give to my niece and nephew but I haven't had the time. If I do I'll see about making some for PAX East as well.

ransim on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3afvbd.jpg

Hard candy, and unlike for PAX Prime they are actual hard candy and not accidentally chewy.

Edit: I was thinking about experimenting with gummy versions that I can give to my niece and nephew but I haven't had the time. If I do I'll see about making some for PAX East as well.
    That is so awesome! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited December 2010
    Yay, we're alive again! =)

VThornheart on
  • drspacemonkey2drspacemonkey2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Gummies are easy to make. Drop me a line if you want a recipe.

drspacemonkey2 on
  • H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did the Buckeyes go over well enough for me to bring another cooler full? Yes, I will bring the cooler regardless because you found a use for it.

H2O Shoagie on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did the Buckeyes go over well enough for me to bring another cooler full? Yes, I will bring the cooler regardless because you found a use for it.

Please do! Those were delicious.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited December 2010
    Indeed, people loved them Shoagie! You definitely can't go wrong with buckeyes! =)

VThornheart on
  • mouseydewmouseydew Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ooo, cookies. I'd like to help :) I live on the North Shore outside of Boston. Who's the head baker and are there any others in the area that want to have a big bake session?

mouseydew on
    edited December 2010
    Hi Mouseydew! =)

For now, join our google group linked in the OP so we can chat about baking! We're JUST on the verge of releasing a site to replace the Google Group... I still need more beta testers, I've not gotten much input about the site so far... so when you join the google group, be sure to join the beta test site too (it's linked over there)!

I think a baking session would be awesome!

VThornheart on
    edited December 2010
    Phew, after a rocky landing for the website in its own domain, we're almost there! In the next few days I will be making an announcement about the new website.

Any and all Brigadiers will want to join the new website as soon as possible, and migrate away from use of the existing Google Group.

We'll be improving on the new website as we go, but for now it already has the essential elements we need:

* Partitioned Forums and Groups for focused conversations on topics
    * Privacy to allow us to make our plans
    * Achievements to help motivate everyone to success
    * Built on WordPress to allow us to (hopefully) easily add other new features quickly

Check back here soon for the final announcement! People who move to - and start using - the new website before January 1st will receive a special "Early Adopter" achievement!

Also, if any of you have skills of an artist, I urge you to check this forum post. I have put out the plea to the art community of the PA Forums, but if any of you are here who are artists but don't check that section of the site, go here for more info: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=133093

EDIT: Ah, scratch that artist request: mully from the art forum has just volunteered to step forward as our Artistic Liaison! Thanks Mully, you rock!

VThornheart on
    edited December 2010
    Those Brigadiers that I met during PAX East 2010 may remember that I was the cheerful guy in the wheelchair with the BAGS of cookies hanging off the back. Since then, unfortunately, complications from my original surgery have led to the amputation of both legs below the knee.

Now comes the good news! Tuesday of last week, for the very first time, I got to stand up (and even walk around a bit) on my new legs! The test of the sockets went extremely well. They were more comfortable than I thought they could be, and after a minor adjustment to the pitch of the feet, I felt like I could have walked out of the office with them.

Pictures of the day can be found here: Picasaweb
    Video can be found here: Youtube

If you don't feel like viewing everything, though...here's the most important shot:
    1207100846-00.jpg

:D

Facelesscog on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those Brigadiers that I met during PAX East 2010 may remember that I was the cheerful guy in the wheelchair with the BAGS of cookies hanging off the back. Since then, unfortunately, complications from my original surgery have led to the amputation of both legs below the knee.

Now comes the good news! Tuesday of last week, for the very first time, I got to stand up (and even walk around a bit) on my new legs! The test of the sockets went extremely well. They were more comfortable than I thought they could be, and after a minor adjustment to the pitch of the feet, I felt like I could have walked out of the office with them.

If you don't feel like viewing everything, though...here's the most important shot:
    1207100846-00.jpg

I didn't get to meet you because I don't go to PAX East, only PAX Prime. I live near there. That is great, awesome news. I hope all goes well for you and that you enjoy this coming PAX, you definitely deserve it.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Awesome Facelesscog, I'm psyched that your recovery is going so well! Woot! It'll be good to see you at East! =)

VThornheart on
  • crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

1207100846-00.jpg

That is absolutely awesome! :D

crimsong19 on
    PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
    edited December 2010
    Also, guys, I plugged the Cookie Brigade while talking about Child's Play in the Project For Awesome video I made for this year's project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnomEDW4plA

crimsong19 on
    PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
    edited December 2010
    Awesome Crimsong! I love it! =) You rock! =)=)

VThornheart on
    edited December 2010
    Awesome Crimsong! I love it! =) You rock! =)=)
    Thanks, VT!
    I wanna try and get lots more Child's Play footage from PAX East in March from all charitable aspects, including the Cookie Brigade, so I'll letcha know more as my plans develop and PAX East gets closer.

crimsong19 on
    edited December 2010
    Also, in Crimsong's video, that "Tim" character looks like kind of an asshole...
    <.<
    >.>

*cameo-in-awesome-P4A-video get*

feitocomfruta on
    edited January 2011
    The new website is up and running!

Anyone willing to volunteer their time for the Cookie Brigade should go to the following site and register:

http://www.cookie-brigade.com

Make sure to put in your real Forum Username and as much contact info as you can: if you're going to be volunteering, we need it!

Also, if you're not a frequent poster in the forums, please understand that we may put you through some security questions and checks. As has been eluded to before, we're an underground organization... and we can't risk the Brigade by letting in people who aren't frequenters of the forums (and thus who might represent certain interests that might be harmful to the Brigade).

VThornheart on
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually officially joined the forum specifically FOR this. Choco-chip type cookies (in a myriad of combinations) are my speciality. I registered on the site as well. Last year was my first PAX ever, and I had such a blast with my husband that I was more gung-ho than him. Seriously, I stalked the page and reged the DAY it came available. I'm not really the gamer geek type (I've been left behind because I'm a side scrolled kind of girl) and The Cookie Brigade is way up my alley. I'll have to ask a friend of mine what kind of cookies she makes. She's got Celiac disease so is gluten free. She makes peanut butter cookies that are to die for, but she also has a choco-chip she's made that isn't bad. Might get that from her as well, for a no peanut option.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07