As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Defcon

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
screenshot4ky3iy7.jpg

It's been a while, anybody up for some nukes and pretty colors? I'm game tonight or whenever this weekend.

Zek on

• FartzFartz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The mac version is supposedly coming out this month, so I will be whenever that happens!

Fartz on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i'd probably be up for a few games either in an hour or two or tomorrow

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How exactly do you go about buying DEFCON?

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2007
    on steam or at http://store.introversion.co.uk/ it seems to be about 5$ cheaper on steam though
    edit: although at the introversion store you can also get a boxed copy sent to you for just the cost of shipping, steam is download only

taliosfalcon on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember spending hours with Bibble trying to find people to play with but we could usually only get one other person if we were lucky because you guys sucked and never wanted to play.

I hate you guys. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game was hot here for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, that was the month my internet went down.

FreddyD on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alright then, let's plan some games for Saturday afternoon/night. Get it installed and organize times in the thread tomorrow. Somebody's gotta take initiative if anyone's gonna play.

Zek on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm all in for some genocide.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fartz wrote: »
    The mac version is supposedly coming out this month, so I will be whenever that happens!

So what happens if I bought it off steam in my bootcamp partition?

I reckon I'm fucked :/

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    I remember spending hours with Bibble trying to find people to play with but we could usually only get one other person if we were lucky because you guys sucked and never wanted to play.

I hate you guys. :(
    Hey, I was there, goddamnit! But you assholes always started without me.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    on steam or at http://store.introversion.co.uk/ it seems to be about 5$ cheaper on steam though
    edit: although at the introversion store you can also get a boxed copy sent to you for just the cost of shipping, steam is download only

So do I have to get it from the U.K.?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So do we play on hamachi?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We used to play on password protected internet games. There's no really crappy server browser to complicate things or anything.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We should get a game started later today!

CheerfulBear on
  • tehremotehremo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

So do I have to get it from the U.K.?

No, if you buy it from Introversion you do, but just download it via Steam. You can get Steam here:
    http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow

tehremo on
    f.jpg
    f.jpgf.jpgf.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    So I'm playing around with the demo and it seems to me that the first person to launch is basically fucked.

Tube on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm playing around with the demo and it seems to me that the first person to launch is basically fucked.

Not really. Depends on allies and whatnot. Also, submarines will kill you dead. Alot of my own strategy revolves in sending enough nukes from different places so that they get there at the same time, and a few soak up the bullets while the rest slam into people.

SniperGuy on
    edited March 2007
    The person that wins the game is the one that gets the most kills in the most continents. It's very very difficult to win on defense in this game - if somebody tries hard enough, they will break through and there's nothing you can do to save your citizens. The juiciest nuke targets are the big cities that haven't been hit yet, so there's a lot of value in being the first to attack. The last game I played, one guy was Russia and he put all six of his silos in one place, ignoring almost all of his cities. They all got glassed, and he still won with like 200 points because he was aggressive, built up a strong lead, and didn't leave enough survivors for other players to catch up with him.

Let's get some games in later tonight. I'll be free in a couple hours, maybe 9-10 EST.

Zek on
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm thinking about purchasing this after my finals are over to celebrate. Is there a single player mode or is it just a multiplayer game? And is it as intense and fun as everybody tells me it is?

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yes let us play this game

Sars_Boy on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    there is a single player mode and its just as intense as multiplayer simply because you never know what the computer is giong to do.

Veevee on
    edited March 2007
    Okay, let's do this. I am hosting a game now:

Name: PA Forums
    Password: wang

You all will join. I'll leave it open for a little while and start when we get some people.

Zek on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am on my way

Edit: Its not letting me connect for some reason

Veevee on
    edited March 2007
    Can you connect to other games?

Zek on
    edited March 2007
    it keeps authenticating me as a demo user =( this is bringing back horrible memories of the launch week

taliosfalcon on
    edited March 2007
    Then join as a demo user. We need people.

Zek on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If I install the demo, Would I still be able to join you guys?

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited March 2007
    heh, that was a good game, no one ever suspects europe..until they have 50 or 60 nukes flying at your backdoor =) and yes chaos, there can be one demo user per game, so now that i finally got it to realize that i did indeed buy the game other demo users can play :P

taliosfalcon on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not for me! Every time I tried to launch, I would get kicked out to the "connecting" screen halfway through, and by the time I got back the first half of my attack would already be in the air.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited May 2007
    So, since i'm too lazy to make a new thread, let this one wise from its grave!! so..anyone want to play some defcon today, or tomorrow, or sometime this week? =0 i feel the urge to kill millions of people

taliosfalcon on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's been a while, but I agree with that old post in this thread - This was hot for a bit and then died... And I miss it. Had a few very long, fun games full of great teamwork and suspense. RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAVE. Get it started tonight - I might play, might not, it's been a long day - and let it continue.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • squidgeesquidgee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What a coincidence, I just reinstalled this.

squidgee on
    squidgee.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is anyone around still?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still say a screensaver mode where the computer is automatically restarting new games at the end of each preceding game would have made this so much better

I'd install it on my little brother's computer and run it at night, the volume just loud enough to pick up that woman crying in the control room

He totally loses it at that kinda stuff :D

Ledneh on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I should buy this and start playing. I've always wanted Russia to win :P

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Russia is a good continent to play. You have the protection of Europe, and if Europe decides to fuck with you, well... you both lose the game.

You go into a sort of unspoken agreement when you're Russian/Europe.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited May 2007
    at least until one of you is attacked and the other decides to take advantage of your already overworked defenses >=) and seriously europe is untouchable unless it has two people ganging up on it..or you somehow manage to sneak 12 subs within launch range of it

taliosfalcon on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I still say a screensaver mode where the computer is automatically restarting new games at the end of each preceding game would have made this so much better

I'd install it on my little brother's computer and run it at night, the volume just loud enough to pick up that woman crying in the control room

He totally loses it at that kinda stuff :D

Oh god, like, with the monitor and shit off, so he just hears a woman crying in his room?

You're an awful, awful person.

edit: Ohh, I thought you said you did it. You really should, though. And tape it.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is a game I could play maybe tomorrow or sometime this week.

Kreutz on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I might get a new job, and I'll buy the full version.

But can you buy a full version for download without using Steam? I don't like Steam.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767